Princess Auto Employee Reviews

have to be able to put up with alot....
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
management is not good, each 'leader' pretty much has there own set of rules and it can be hard to follow direction. they do not hire full time often but after two years you receive benefits which are pretty good. The team members are probably the best part of the job and mainly the only reason i have been with the company for almost 3 years. princess auto also give profit sharing quarterly which is a bonus and pays above minimum wage. As a cashier, you have to have a strong back bone. Guests regularly get mad when things are not in stock, they had a bad experience with a sales associate or something is past warranty and we wont exchange it for them. i have personally been called pretty much every name in the book but if you can put up a strong front, you're good to go!
Pros
team members
Cons
don't hire full time often, leadership
Terrible place to work!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2017
I've worked here for almost 4 years and since I first started everyone seemed "nice" couple months has passed and I've never met more people who love to hold grudges and complain every second they get (about other employees). Management and the 'team leaders' are useless and will only cater to those who see this job as a career; most likely those who have been there for more than 6+ years. They have ridiculous rules and there are write-ups made, basically older adults running to management about the teenagers or young adults to basically get fired. EVERYWHERE is the boss there, no one has respect for one another and you won't go 1 full shift about getting an ear full of drama (cashiers specifically - where they all team up on the young ones who actually work). The amount of pay is NOTHING worth a long day of hard work lunging around steel-toed, even the cashiers were never allowed to sit but stand on useless mats they provide that they all trip on everyday. From my experience on working there, I dreaded the last 3 1/2 years with being said I was only getting paid $13.00/hr and after my years of being there I only got a .26cent raise... which I don't even call a raise. Definitely, Princess Auto is NOTHING a great place/environment to work at and there is no such thing as "Teamwork" here.
Pros
20% off & sometimes free lunches
Cons
Horrible management, unfair/baised opinions, drama filled, rude leaders, no days off
Awesome place to work
Inventory Auditor,Assistant Manager,Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON and Mississauga, ON27 December 2016
Excellent culture, good leadership, lots of opportunities for growth, an emphasis on taking care of people, both employees and customers and an overall fun place to work. I have learnt a lot about every aspect of running a retail business in the past 4 plus years at Princess Auto.
Benefits
Unfair Place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON15 August 2016
Working there is unfair. They let people steal money and get away with it yet someone who works hard and makes a mistake honestly is fired and told they are no longer wanted. They are so unfair to the hard working person. If you don't do your work and you can do alot there and nothing will happen to you.Note don;t be hardworking they won't recognize you. They will recognize your lack of work and give you praise for it. Be warned going in there. Watch your back closely. Was there for 4 years and have seen alot.
Pros
Cons
Hard workers will get let go.
Favortism and the team members run this building
Leader (Former Employee) –  Ottawa24 January 2017
Way to much favortism and you must fit in with the leaders or they will get rid of you quickly
Not a fun place to work and poor pay
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay is poor and management uses favortism
not the greatest place to be employed
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 January 2017
Princess auto says they are all about their employees but they really are not. They have no compassion for people and their families.
Pros
benefits, profit sharing
Cons
management, hours
Culture crumbling
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 January 2017
During my many years with Princess I enjoyed working in a friendly, fun environment and flourished without worry of judgement. In the last 3-4 years a new wave of upper management was hired strictly based on skill set, with little to no consideration as to their morals/personality. Within a short period, I was met with management that either didn't know me or didn't care to know me. Many knew of the corporate values, but had little clue or interest as to how to apply them. I wish the company well, but it is very sad to know it's unique culture is slowing crumbling.
Pros
Caring key people
Cons
Corporate mindset taking over
Essential skills
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Manitoba23 September 2016
Princess auto teaches skills but management is poor quality. There is internal theft consistently and is a very unsettling racist place to work. The training is poor and the leaders don't care about on going issues. Least at one of the Winnipeg locations. The bosses never seem to stay at the work place which I now understand why. They care more about profits rather than team members. HR fails to update schedules that leads to written notices when it isn't your fault.
Pros
free coffee and donuts
Cons
internal theft, lack of respect, poor management
hard work
TLT night receiving (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 October 2016
Was a TLT on night shift. Wages are absolutely horrible and workload intense. There is no chance of advancement above where you were hired. Best part of the job was it wakes you up quickly to get your life together and find a livable job. I really did enjoy the 20% employee discount. Unfortunately everything was still financially out of my reach.
Pros
Didn't have to comb my hair before work
Cons
everything
Has both ups and downs
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB24 August 2016
Very interesting place with lots to learn as there are many sections in the store. The wide range of customers make the job always interesting, but management lowers the rating. Rude, uncooperative, and very immature. They change hours without your knowledge, and get upset when it clashes with your other duties ex:school. Taking time off is like pulling teeth, you don't know till right before, which is frustrating. The lack of staff really affects the store as well. They also very much favorite full time over part time workers, which is unfair to say the least.
Pros
Customers/Interesting Items
Good place to work for
Welder (Former Employee) –  480 Panet Road, Winnipeg, MB19 January 2017
All around good place to work for. Good challenges, wonderful people. Sad to go. I moved up the ranks from Welder to Lead Hand Welder and to Robotic Welder Operator. I left the company as a Maintenance Operator. There was always BBQ's celebrating differences, celebrating the different cultures. Very family orientated and treated everyone fairly. Everyone who works there was"family".
Pros
Profit Sharing
Ok
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON21 December 2016
This was a typical retail experience, I didn't not feel like this was a place where i can advance myself or develop my skill. Profit sharing helped to ease the lack of development and make working there worth while. Most of the managers are great, upper management need improvement.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
No Professional Development
Productive and fun work place with a great atmosphere
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 October 2016
Princess Auto is a great place to start working. The people their are great and very helpful. Everyday we strive to better not only ourselves but also our customer service which is very important, especially in the retail industry. One of the most enjoyable parts of this job would be the amount of potlucks we have, nobody says no to food! But on the other hand, a harder part of this job is to know a lot of the products, having a bit of background knowledge can be really helpful and can benefit you when you want to assist customers.
Laid back, enjoyable environment.
Night Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON9 November 2015
Overall the night merchandiser position was enjoyable, co-workers were very friendly, the environment was laid back, and day went by quickly. Management was lacking a bit, hardly any opportunities to move up within the company, but overall they offered many good things to compensate for the cons.
Pros
Profit sharing, Benefits.
Cons
Weak management, Poor advancement opportunities.
funplace
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON22 January 2016
lack of professional leadership. very low team member moral. My concerns were not addressed thus my moral went down and I started loosing focus on my work.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor management
High Energy and Customer Orientated
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS5 May 2016
A typical day included interactions between myself and customers, maintaining a designated section of the store via stocking shelves, ensuring pricing is accurate, and cleanness of section. Always had something to do and every day was something new to look forward to. Management was always available to assist in any major issues, and worked along side employees to see that tasks were complete by company standards when required. Most enjoyable part of the job was the professional, yet almost family-like, environment in which everyone helped each other and came together as a team.
Pros
High Activity, Customer Interactions, Teamwork Environment
Cons
Low amount of work hours provided
Fun workplace but not a livable wage
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2017
There are great opportunities to meet a lot of interesting people but the wage is not enough to support an average lifestyle. ----------------------------------------------
Nice co-workers....misery loves company
Part timer (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON11 January 2017
Welcome to the unique world of Princess Auto, and boy, is it unique.

As a part timer you will be subjected to working odd hours, you are a fill in, this is to be expected in any retail setting. Weekends will no longer be your's, when you want a weekend off you will be told to schedule your activities around the schedule. Make sure any events, such as family birthday parties or the like, are in sync with their work schedule, good luck!!

The profit sharing is an unknown, you will sign an agreement that states after 3 months you are eligible to receive it, one co-worker told me after 9 months he still hadn't seen penny one, beware!!

They preach safe work place practices, yet will stack an 80 pound item on the top shelf ( two high sometimes) and expect you to climb up a ladder to get it down for a customer. This practice is so unsafe it is beyond comprehension, it's just a matter of time until someone gets seriously hurt. Of course if something does happen you have to fill out an incident report....I think they get put in the company's round file.

They seem to promote incompetence, as long as the incompetent one likes to keep his or her nose brown, that seems the only way to achieve advancement in the company. Also, they don't recognise any external experience, seems unless you've worked there for a very long time, your experience means nothing.

The exclusion of certain "team members" to things like celebrations, anniversaries and anything free was a regular occurrence for me....didn't feel like any team I've ever been on.

Overall, if you're a student looking
  more... for a just over minimum wage job, then this place isn't a bad fit. But if you are someone looking for a real job where your experience matters, look elsewhere, Co-workers, for the most part, were amazing, great bunch of people working there!!  less
Pros
20% Store discount
Cons
Too many to list here
amazing team to work with
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 November 2016
the team members along with the staff were fun and easy to get along with and very flexible with the schedule. the work was hard and very fast pace but enjoyable never the less
Not a company for part-time employees
Guest Services Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON14 June 2014
*Great co-workers
*Lack leadership and opportunities for advancement
*Demanded open avaiability then gave you few hours
*Customers were the best
*Promised you the sun, moon and the stars when hiring you then never came thru with anything that was promised (eg training in other areas of the store, amazing profit sharing, benefits)
*Hardest part of the job was knowing that customers were praising your work to management and not getting recognized for your hard work
*Management treated you like you didn't have a brain in your head
*All management is not on the same page. Every manager wants things done their way. Made for a very long day trying to please all of them.
*Not a friendly company to work for if you are trying to work more than one job--they demand all of your time and then give you very little back in return
Pros
Freindly co-workers and customers
Cons
Demanding all your availability so no time for your kids or family

2.8