Princess Auto

Princess Auto Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great people, great staff, interesting work, Lacks advancement oppurtunity.
Sales Team Member (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 4, 2014
Ive spent quite some time with a single company for someone my age (Turning 21 this January, will be coming of four years with the company). When I was 17 and just starting out the job was ever so interesting as I had never worked in an environment with friendly and knowledgeable co-workers who were eager to share knowledge with me.

An average day – more... currently, I come into work and am greeted with a start up meeting with the leader on duty, we briefly discuss the sales figures, expectations, upcoming notes of importance. We are then given our tasks for the day and set out to the sales floor and warehouse environments to complete them.

These range from customer service goals such as selling enough air compressors to make room for new stock, to re designing end caps and shelving to appear more ascetically pleasing to our guests.

My work is a mixed bag of retail and sales work with physical and fast paced body work. By the end of the day I am typically physically tired but always have more to give.

I have worked all 24 hours of the clock during my time, including nights, early mornings, and weekends.

Ask me in 2012 what I thought of the Job and I would have had nothing but good things to say. However today is a different story. Having always been a temporary full time team member, I never was given an opportunity to advance to a role of leadership. Thus I have paid quiet attention to the the leadership team and the changes that have happened over the years.

It is clear to me that the company lacks organization and ethics in the upper level management sector, and this is bolded by the fact that with the loss of our most recent Store Manager Carl Rhamos being replaced by an external hire instead of giving second in command Steven Switzer a chance to take over due to an outside relationship between the outside hire and out Corporate district manager, who has been with the company for less time then I have.

As a result, my desire to continue to work and achieve corporate level advancement with the company is now non existent. It is clear once I acquire my business degree that my internal code of ethics and ideals on how to be a leader and how to be a boss will be overlooked and I am not interested in remaining at the store level for a career.

I still work hard and enjoy my day to day work, but I am interested in spreading out and getting my foot in the door with a more like minded but equally interesting and unique corporation. But I am also open to labor intensive entry level.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. – less
Fast paced retail environment
Team Member (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 29, 2014
Performed administrative functions in processing financial transactions and documenting sales
Monitored inventory levels and continually performed adjustments to meet sales supply and demand
Proactive first contact with customers for service or sales and establishment of repeat clientele
Performed all seasonal department purchasing, inventory control – more... and inventory management
Liaised with management in the coordination of product promotions and sales
Assumed the duties and responsibilities of the store manager in his absence
Assisted in the mentoring and training of new staff – less
High paced
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, OnSeptember 23, 2014
I enjoyed assisting the loyal customers who frequent at Princess Auto. I have learnt a lot based on product knowledge and cashier and customer service responsibilities.
Princess Auto will make you sick in more ways than one
Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 8, 2014
Pros: profit sharing
Cons: atrocious air quality, absent management on all levels, lazy coworkers
Typical day looks like this:

- Arrive at Princess Auto and sit in a longwinded team meeting (these are mandatory; however, TLTs/ATLs/AND the TL often forget to run them for those starting a later shift and are mainly about the figures from the previous day.)
- Receive break schedule (usually they attempt to allow you a 15 within the first 4 hours of – more... your shift, but unless you're popular with the staff, forget it. Luckily, your peers will happily take your break if they feel that it's too long to wait for their turns.
- If you ask for more hours, they will schedule you just under the full time mark so that you cannot receive benefits/full time salary. If you ask for less, they will tell you that they have a minimum of 25 hours.
- If you are a part time worker, then you will work every. single. weekend. They downplay this, assuring you that you will have two days off per week and they *try* to schedule them together. This is never the case and you will not receive any weekends off, you may, however book one off, but you will have to jump through many hoops.
-They will disregard your availability, ignore emails about availability, and schedule you when you've spent 3 weeks reviewing with 3 TLTs, 2 ATLs, and the TL.
- TLTs and ATLs will hide in their offices/on the floor and refuse to answer pages, even during emergency/potentially threatening situations. This has happened twice in 2 months
- Floor teams will refuse to remove their stock (95s) from the Solutions, leading to a backlog of stock and the cash team spending an extra (unpaid) 30 minutes replacing it.
- TL will make suggestive comments to the cash team and home office will ignore complaints/emails.
-You will be forgotten about when it comes to the end of your shift. You will be asked to stay later, you will not be paid, you will have to ask them several times to adjust your pay.
- You will return home, sore and sick. The fumes, dust, and general disgusting state of the whole store is enough to cause chronic bronchitis.

This is a terrible store. Do not work for them. The profit sharing isn't even worth it. – less
great staff, extremely varied products
Cashier (Former Employee), Windsor, ONAugust 8, 2014
The job itself was great but I found it very difficult to become familiar with all of the varied products and how they were priced
fun and energetic place to work. customers always left happy
Night Receiving Leader (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 30, 2014
Pros: full benefits and profit sharing
Cons: non
always busy yet fun. great team atmosphere to work. Management always willing to help and product knowledge on going
Bad place to work
Employee (Former Employee), Sudbury, ONJuly 18, 2014
Pros: free work boots every 6 months
Cons: the leaders, employees, work load, benefits, organization
Working for Princess Auto is a bad choice. Period. The benefits they offer aren't as great as they say, and you have to ask someone at head office to get any real info about it. They do offer profit sharing which is in theory a great thing, but if you were hired a few days after one, you may have to wait up to a year before you see a half share.

The – more... leaders are all unorganized and don't communicate well with one another, the staff suffer because of this lack of communication, and are ultimately blamed for the end result, which is completely unacceptable. The staff gets no respect and are heavily under paid for the work load that is asked of them.

Most of the staff are almost as bad as the leaders. Talking about each other behind their backs, stealing from one another, passing blame. No one can trust each other as a result, and end up hating each other. – less
Not the worst place ever..
Sales Associate / Team Member (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 16, 2014
Very busy, with rude grabby customers. Coworkers acted like they were in high school despite being well over 35. Management never showed recognition for a job well done.
Not a company for part-time employees
Guest Services Representative/Cashier (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJune 14, 2014
Pros: freindly co-workers and customers
Cons: demanding all your availability so no time for your kids or family
*Great co-workers
*Lack leadership and opportunities for advancement
*Demanded open avaiability then gave you few hours
*Customers were the best
*Promised you the sun, moon and the stars when hiring you then never came thru with anything that was promised (eg training in other areas of the store, amazing profit sharing, benefits)
*Hardest part of the – more... job was knowing that customers were praising your work to management and not getting recognized for your hard work
*Management treated you like you didn't have a brain in your head
*All management is not on the same page. Every manager wants things done their way. Made for a very long day trying to please all of them.
*Not a friendly company to work for if you are trying to work more than one job--they demand all of your time and then give you very little back in return – less
Bad management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 12, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: disorganized
Good people but bad management. Overworked, underpaid. Leadership is unorganized and bossy.
Fast paced, hard working enviroment
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 29, 2014
Pros: worked with great people in managment.
Cons: not much of a long term future
Call center enviroment, new people comong and going every week.
Newfoundland location is a joke..
Night time stocker ( apparently ) (Former Employee), EverywhereMay 20, 2014
Pros: a 20% discount, and free work boots every 6 months.
Cons: everything else
They may look good on paper, but be warned... They offer you everything when you start. If you dont play "their game ". You wont make it past the 3 month mark. Trust me. I know.. Dont be fooled by the offer of benefits either .. You'll never see it. Ever...

At the end of the day.. The nl location is a breading spot for mental illness. Your just a number – more... to these guys. They dont care about you whatsoever. When you do try to change things for the better.. You get shafted in the end.

Read the fine print and save your self some sanity people.. its a waste of time .. Thats my two cents worth ;) – less
It was a great place to work
stock work (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 10, 2014
when i worked there i use to help other workers with there job if i was done my job
great place to work
Cylinder Assembler/Lead Hand (Former Employee), panet roadMarch 24, 2014
Pros: profit sharing
Cons: no cons
learned to build hydraulic cylinders and trouble shoot them. The people were great to work with and the owner takes care of his employees.
productive workplace
Team Leader Trainee (Former Employee), sudburyJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: staff, customers
Cons: manager
always busy
great customers
great staff
poor management
lots to learn
something different everyday
lots of challenges
great place to work if you like problem solving
A great place to work
Sales Associate Specialist (Current Employee), London, ONJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: great benefits and profit sharing
Cons: no advancement opportunities
It easy to work for a company that allows you to truly provide real customer service. The best part of my job is the people both customers and coworkers.
Princess Auto
Cashier (Former Employee), Burnside, NSDecember 17, 2013
Pros: co-workers and managment
Princess Auto was a good place to work, in my short experience I found the management was great, very understanding and helpful. The interview process was very thorough for the purpose of having a great team and having co-workers who worked well and efficient together. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been the friendly staff, very helpful – more... and supportive. – less
Fun Team Oriented workplace.
Team Leader Trainee (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 5, 2013
Pros: great pay and benifits package
Cons: very fast paced and energy draining
If you like customer service and can handle a challenge, Then this is the place for you. Your customer service and task handling skills will be tested. This is a fast paced workplace but the co-workers there will make it easy as they are very team oriented. Hardest thing to get used to is the pace once you've got used to that the fun you have there – more... is unmatched in any other retail store. – less
Fun Team Oriented workplace.
Team Leader Trainee (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 5, 2013
Pros: great pay and benifits package
Cons: very fast paced and energy draining
This place sucks to work in.
@#$% disturber (Current Employee), Red Deer AlbertaNovember 5, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: management is terrible, dirty, kids run it and know nothing! unprofessional
There was NOTHING dynamic or special about this place. The management team needs to get their #@$% together!!!! they have ppl training (If you call it that) that are from other countrys with accents.. WTF!!! HOW do they expect anyone to learn from that. NONE of the prices are marked so it puts more stresses on the people working cash,, They have 3 or – more... 4 ppl training you in a day so every time someone goes on a break and someone else helps, they ask what you are doing, no don't do it this way do it that way. It is one of the most unprofessional places I have EVER worked. Where do you go nowdays and have cashiers yelling over customers that they are doing a return. The kids they have working there don't know much about the products they sell, I have seen them blow off customers before they have checked with someone else to see if they knew what a product is and where it is. But yet correct a page when a person says customer instead of guest. The cashiers are catty and one likes to bully others, and management does nothing. I will never recommend anyone to work nor shop here. The management team ( if you call it that) are little girls who never got to be in their own club so now they have one. – less

About Princess Auto

Princess Auto Limited (PAL) is a Canadian retail chain specializing in farm, industrial, garage, and surplus items. It was started – Read more