PriceSmart foods Employee Reviews

Stay away!
Grocery Clerk, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 April 2016
My typical day would be on cash -which I had to be taken off of six months into the job due to medical reasons - In the meat department or the Deli. I was fine working on my own and kept my own pace, which lead me to be finished things earlier than most becuase I cleaned faster than most; except in the Deli.
Management didn't care about anyone who was below them, and made the entire store a hostile environment. The Team Leaders were worse, as most went on power trips and would berate you in front of customers for something that you had no control over, like them calling in sick and leaving no one to close, but becuase you were the last one in the department, it was somehow your job to stay 5 hours late to close it? There were over 200 of us working there, and you only really hung out with the people in the department you worked it; creating a high school-like environment. There was NOTHING good here, and I'm glad I left. The Store Owner and Front End Team Leader even trying to take wages away if your till was under - something against Union rules. I quit when the Store Owner accused me of blocking his "promotion" - which I had no clue he was even in line for, since I was just a CSR, not Management at the time. Last I heard, half the store quit, and when the union came in for a personnel Survey; they found that most of the managers and team leaders had an underground gambling ring; had a mysoginystic "Burn Book" in the office and had a "I would do them" chart in the security office. Every manager and team leader had been fired, and I'm glad.
Pros
The only pro was the break room would sometimes have treats
Cons
EVERYTHING
very busy, hands on workplace
Grocery worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 March 2016
-Super busy, always doing something. Tons of customer interactions through out the day
-Learn about food safety and how to deal with unruly customers
-Management was very stressed out and caused for a really hostile and uncomfortable work environment at times
-super friendly staff
Pros
free lunches, friendly staff
Cons
always an angry customer, store is constantly a mess
Stressful environment & not fair in giving shift work
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 April 2015
Stressful
There are biases existing
There is almost little or no recognition
Blaming is common
I was charged with an offense which was not proven existed
2 Male Supervisors "lied" telling me I should have been written off for leaving a customer but I was on holidays that time.
Most of the employees cannot be trusted & only a few are real people or friends
Back biting is common
Pros
Benefits & Vacations
Cons
Favoritism exists especiall when it comes to "white people"
Great work environment!
Cashier & Food Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC25 June 2016
Amazing company to work with, especially if you're a student - they're very accommodating and understanding of student/ part-time hours. Definitely reccomended!
Fun Workplace, Scheduling Problems
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC27 January 2016
This was a very fun job working with amazing people and an overall good experience. There were issues with scheduling errors and being scheduled on my unavailable hours (that the store was given), as well as no notice to online scheduling changes.
Pros
Fun Workplace
Cons
Scheduling
A nice paced work environment with wonderful employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC9 December 2015
It was a wonderful place to work with excellent managers and customers. Was a fast paced job that i enjoyed. Would work for the company again.
Pros
Very friendly
Cons
Was hard with school so I had to quit
Fast paced work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BC12 December 2012
A typical day at work is busy, hectic and I am always meeting new people! I have learnt a lot, I learnt how to deal better with un happy costumers, how to work at a pace to make everyone happy and how to enjoy work even when your having a terrible day. My management team is great and are always helpful. My co workers are even nicer and we all get along well. The hardest part of my job is multitasking while working fast, but I am getting very good at it. The most enjoyable part is the people I work with and the costumers I interact with.
Pros
work place has a great energy
Cons
small amount of hours/shifts
overall a 3
Food Clerk (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 December 2013
The people and customers were all different but that is was makes the job rewarding, there is to much management and overall disorganized to many chiefs no enough Indians, they treat everybody like children and there is favoritism, it is supposed to be based on seniority but it isn't they want open availability and offer nothing,and the management lies, so good luck the jobs themselves are straightforward!
Pros
most of the staff are good
Cons
open availability
pricesmart foods
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC10 September 2013
somedays can be very busy but i learned that you need to be calm and relaxed, because if you get uptight and frustrated then you will be having promblems with cutomers and line ups..i find in every work place that there will always be co-workers who like you and dont. the hardest part of the job is handling customers who get mad at you and swear at you..
enjoyable part of the job is hearing that you did a great job..
Pros
free lunches on tuesdays
Cons
different hours for each day
Fun great place to work
Service Specialist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC28 June 2012
I am a hard worker so no problem there. The pay is not the greatest but I love the people I work with. I love helping in every way I can with the customers which is the most enjoyable part of the job. I have learned a new skill being cashier.
Pharmacy Assistant
Pharmacy Technician, Front store cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 September 2014
greet customers, entered patient information, counted pills/medication, prepared compound prescriptions, met new and interesting people, handled cash transactions, otc products
Productive and fun workplace.
Cashier, Floral Dept. and Bakery (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC29 April 2013
Great customer experience. I enjoy working with customers one-on-one.
Pros
staff lunches
Cons
good hours

2.9