Mechanic / Technician:
Prairie Bus Lines is the transportation service provider of choice in Central Alberta. We proudly serve the growing transportation needs in the City of Red Deer and surrounding communities in Central Alberta. Prairie Bus Lines is dedicated to safe, reliable and courteous transportation services. Prairie Bus Lines is the founding member and a proud company of the Pacific Western Group of Companies, the largest privately owned transportation group in Canada.
At Prairie Bus Lines we are looking to expand our family. Every day our technicians/mechanics strive to maintain a high level of compliance and safety in each of the vehicles of our fleet, exceeding federal and provincial standards. Leading the transportation industry in Canada, making safety our top priority and being the ambassadors of our Core Values is part of what makes us stand out as some of the very best in Canada.
The Mechanic is responsible for the servicing and repair of Prairie Bus Lines owned fleet vehicles. The Mechanic must work in accordance with OH&S Safety Regulations, Government Standards, and company rules and/or standards. The Mechanic must have hand tools to perform all tasks associated with this position. The Mechanic must perform all assigned tasks in a safe, efficient and effective manner and is expected to work cooperatively with the operations personnel, company drivers and fellow workers. This position reports to the Fleet Manager.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Journeyman Mechanic Ticket (Heavy Duty or Automotive)
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- 2 – 5 years related experience desired
- Valid Driver’s License (Class 3 or 2 ideal)
- Exposure to working on diesel engines
- Analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to read, operate and comprehend diagnostic and manual measuring tools including micrometers, brake drum gauge, Ohmmeters and AVR (Amps, Volts & Resistors)
- Ability to read and understand parts and service manuals
- Competent with computer equipment and fleet management software.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Diagnose fleet and equipment problems
- Work with shop management to maintain schedules and priorities
- Perform semi-annual government Inspections
- Follow procedures and guidelines as established by Prairie Bus Lines
- Complete all documentation associated with equipment repairs
- Maintain a clean and orderly work environment
- Suggest areas for additional training and assist with training of apprentices
- Attend company training programs as required
- Maintain positive and professional relationships with co-workers, drivers and operational staff
- Have basic tool requirements as established by Prairie Bus Lines
This is a full-time (10 hours per day – 4 days a week) position operating out of Prairie Bus Lines Maintenance Facilities. The Mechanic is not restricted to shop duties, but is also expected to do field repair work on down buses both within the city limits, and in the rural areas and on assigned on-call duties.
- Wages per hour, commensurate with experience
- Access to Benefit Plan (after 3 month probation)
- Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)
- Annual Tool and Boot Allowance
Job performance will be assessed regularly and based on:
- Ability to consistently perform tasks as assigned
- Day-to-day job performance
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Health & Safety knowledge – adherence to company, government and Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) rules, regulations and guidelines
- Ability to work safely
In 1957, Robert B. Colborne purchased Sorenson Bus Lines in Red Deer, Alberta and renamed it Prairie Bus Lines. Prairie Bus Lines became the...