PPG Industries

PPG Industries Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great people, growing company
Specialist Business Development Manager (Former Employee), CanadaAugust 26, 2014
Great people, growing company, enjoyed my time there would be happy to work for PPG again!
Company tried it's best to insure happiness on the job.
Lead Hand (Former Employee), 885 Avonhead Rd. Mississaug, Ontario.October 29, 2013
Pros: access to intranet service within ppg over other personal.
Cons: limited to access regarding the internet.
Assign work to pickers. Print copies of shipping documents. Interact on telephone with customer service personal. Interact with shipping companies and organize shipments. Interact with management. Receive documents before allowing unloading of materials by warehouse personal. Deal with problems and solve them. I enjoyed the interaction and leadership roles. Brain storming with management about improvements in regards to shipments, safety, productivity, etc.
Overall decent company
AR Analyst (Current Employee), TorontoJuly 31, 2013
Co-workers are good.
Very flexible
Benefits are good.
Management is good.
Part-time
Administrative Assistant to Branch Manager (Former Employee), WinnipegMarch 1, 2013
I worked in the Data Entry Dept. in the evenings.
This Dept was closed down when the company fell on hard times.
Management Trainee
Management Trainee (Current Employee), UTJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: advancement
Cons: hours
 Achieved sales and profit plans by controlling expenses, working capital, inventory, shrinkage and growing net contribution.
 Maintained a high level of associate engagement through effective leadership.
 Maintained an understanding of local market, operations based selling and customer needs.
fast pace woRk enviRonment
Staff Management (Former Employee), Mojave, CAJanuary 25, 2015
enjoyed staying busy with woRk. leaRned fast within the company. was able to put my skills to use felt goo to woRk foR a stable company
Disorganized
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Strongsville, OHJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: lots of ot
Cons: everything else
Very unsafe conditions, Upper management is very uneducated about day to day operations, Very high turn over rate, Equiptment is very old and poorly maintained. Lack of communication between department. Overall hostile place to work with extremely low employee morale.
project work not much for an opinion
IT Migration Technician (Project) (Former Employee), Strongsville, OHJanuary 19, 2015
Co workers were nice, management seemed to be alright. Employees were very nice in general. Work environment was acceptable.
Multitude of job opportunities, but no tools to move up
Supply Chain (Current Employee), PittsburghJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: meager pay compared to other industries; lack of time off; lack of employee development
There are a multitude of different business units and job functions within the company, but little work is done to give existing employees the tools they need to succeed. Because most management has a 'right here, right now' attitude, I see a lot of very talented people use their skills to apply to higher-paying jobs outside of the company. It is hard to get promoted, so many employees grow frustrated and do anything they can to get out.

The work-life balance is okay since I've never been pressured to work outside of my normal hours, but I've been forced to make last-minute travel plans and spend a lot of time away from my family in a role where something like that shouldn't be expected.

A pro (if you want to call it that) is that there is a great feeling of job security. This might have to do with the fact that most departments are understaffed and firing the only person that does a particular task might not be beneficial for the company. Most days I wish there were twice as many people in my department, but it's good to know that they actually need me there and that there is low risk of me being laid off.

The fact that there is no time off rewarded with the exception of annual vacation time, employees are often left to use vacation for things like doctors and dentist appointments.

I don't have any real complaints about the coworkers I've had, as they've all been in a similar situation as me, trying to make the best of what they have.
Good place to work, pay is low
Chemist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 7, 2015
Great management. I am able to do my own work here on a daily basis. The only problem is the pay. It is not high enough.
Good work environment
Sourcing Assistant (Former Employee), Lexington, NCJanuary 6, 2015
• Input, organize, track, and file confidentiality agreements, insurance certificates, and purchase orders
• Interface with buyers, suppliers, and manufacturing personnel, providing support on questions associated with purchase orders
• Designed and implemented a more efficient filing system

Enjoyed working with the group of people that I worked with
Average place for maintenance person to work!
Maintenance (Former Employee), Barberton, OHDecember 30, 2014
Pros: pay, most employees
Cons: lack of organization
Pay is average for scope of abilities expected. Maintenance and production are divided. Can be asked to work in adverse environments. Supervision uses older mentality principles. Most coworkers are knowledgable and helpful.
Discombobulated mess.
Account Development Manager (Former Employee), Kahului, HIDecember 29, 2014
Pros: great customers. great potential.
Cons: management.
Poor, unskilled management on many levels. Confused or absent corporate culture. Grows through acquisition then eliminates the part of the company they acquired that made that company worth acquiring. Retains personal who are detrimental to growth.
Union
Winder Operator and Trainer (Former Employee), Barberton, OHDecember 28, 2014
Pros: union, pay
Cons: rotation shift work
Loved the job. Loved the Union. Rotation shift work, long hours. unpredictable shifts. Good pay due to Union. Lots of training available. Hard to have a regular life on production schedule. You work for the money.
PPG Industries Review
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARDecember 27, 2014
Pros: working with minimal supervision as the department head, excellent functional support
Cons: the position is in little rock, ar and is not where i would like to be long-term
Customer Service Hub Manager for ~ 30 CSR's, Team Leads, and Supervisors for the US/CA Protective and Marine Coatings Division. Typical day involves managing time and attendance, domestic and export teams, training and development, project management, escalation management, monthly reporting and key performance indicators. Thoroughly enjoy this current position and company.
Lots of mandatory overtime and poor managment, but coworkers are good people.
Chemist (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARDecember 16, 2014
Pros: job secruity, quartly attendance bonuses, lots of overtime
Cons: poor production and plant managment, lots of overtime
Typically 48 to 58 hour mandatory weeks.

Some bias between first and second shift (all overtime days first shift is supplied breakfast while second shift has never received anything).

Lots of veterans employees that are known to take it slow and push for the 56-58 hour weeks.

Upper management promotions are questionable and often not based on merit.

Production workers are typically nice and enjoyable people.

Good benefits and competitive pay for the area.
Organized company with great benefits
Store Manager (Current Employee), West Palm BeachDecember 15, 2014
Got a lot of sales and managing experience. I had to work with others employees as well as customers.
Great Company!
Sr. Account Manager (Former Employee), Arlington, TXDecember 12, 2014
Pros: great people and growing. opportunities for advancement
Cons: none!
I recently left PPG for another opportunity with a better bonus and what a mistake. Not until I left PPG did I realize how great a company it had been to me. Very stable and great people. It is in growth mode and if you work hard you can advance and do well. I think PPG is a world class company and will always respect and admire how well it is run at the top levels and the great people that make PPG successful. If I could go back I would in a minute! Don't always think the grass is greener on the other side because it usually isn't. When you leave a company you are basically starting over and have to build relationships and prove yourself all over to a new set of people. Unless you are in a really bad situation don't leave and at PPG you can advance and there are lots of opportunities if you work at it internally. All in all PPG is the best company I have ever worked at and highly recommend pursuing a career with them!
contractors beware
contractor (Former Employee), usaDecember 9, 2014
Pros: passing time
Cons: nothing for contractors
You will be treated like an outsider, used and ignored.No honesty or loyalty. .no perks or benifits. Don't believe anything, get it all in writing, especially with human resources
Productive and fun workplace
Lab Support Contract Employee Lab Tech (Current Employee), Allison Park, PADecember 6, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: temporary position
My work days could have a range of activities from making experimental paint to preparing to work the spraymation equipment in the spray room to running rheology samples for the paints that are being sprayed or other tests for other departments as needed. The rheology testing includes flow recovery curves, creep cure curves, cure curves, and yield stress curves, I have also pulled and reported the data to the people who needed it. The hardest part of my job was learning to do the spray process that is being developed in the department. I enjoy learning new techniques and processes, and engaging my co-workers.

1 2 3 4 5

About PPG Industries

PPG Industries, Inc. (PPG) is a global supplier of protective and decorative coatings. The Company operates in six segments: Performance – Read more