PPD (Pharmaceutical Product Development, Inc.)

PPD (Pharmaceutical Product Development, Inc.) Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
My coworkers are the only thing that make this job bearable
Medical Communications Consultant Nurse (Current Employee), Morrisville, NCMarch 16, 2015
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: lowest pay rate in the industry, lack of break/lunches, expectation to accomplish 50 hours of work in a 40 hour work week
In my interview for this position I specifically asked how easy it is to move within/upwards in the company. The response I received was that the management team goes out of their way to expose you to experiences that will assist you in finding the right position for you within PPD. In reality, they do the exact opposite, trying to ensure you remain in the same position you were hired into. Many times I have sought assistance in gaining exposure to other roles (i.e. quality monitoring, pharmacovigilance, etc), but have been told "we just don't have time" and "we need to meet client needs, so we can't facilitate that." I understand they "need to meet client needs," but 1) I was told that this exposure would be easy to accomplish and 2) they fail to meet the needs of their employees and then wonder why the turn over rate is so high. Each day I dread coming to work because I know I will be greeted with new emails outlining even more work that I am responsible for. The policies that are in place are vague, at best, and management frequently sends out emails to clarify employee responsibility, only to send out another email two hours later contradicting their earlier statements (this is not an exaggeration; this happened twice last week, alone). It is a very difficult environment to work in, since you are never clear what your responsibilities are and they are continually adding more for nurses and pharmacists to do. Lately, they have even started taking away break and lunch times, forcing employees to attend work-related meetings and deeming them "working lunches" or "working breaks." – more... I personally don't consider it a working lunch/break unless the meal is paid for by the company (which it isn't) and you receive continuing education credit applicable towards your licensure (which you never do). They also interrogate you if you take a bathroom break that doesn't fall within your designated break time. When I first started working here I enjoyed it because the workload was manageable and I was grateful to only have 8 hour shifts (versus the 12+ hours I was used to in the hospital). Now that the novelty of the 8 hour day has worn off and they have added a lot more work that nurses and pharmacists are responsible for, there are no enjoyable aspects of my job. My coworkers are great and make for excellent support, but no amount of good company from coworkers could make this role worth it. – less
Good company, very large
Director, Global Project Management (Former Employee), USAMarch 11, 2015
Pros: work from home
Cons: hard to have a noticeable impact on the organization
PPD is a good company to work for. Full of talented people and the company treats its people well. It is a very large organization so it is hard to get noticed.
Corporate Redundancy Whatelse is New
Project Assistant (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: onsite workout facility, clean restrooms, ample parking, working from home welcomed.
Cons: little to no managerial support. quick and hastly rushed protocol transition
There's a sink or swim mentality that's expected to be embraced within the specific department I worked in. Everyone is either too busy or plain just don't care if there are legitimate questions or concerns you have about your tasks. Everything is in a rush-rush mode, yet the resources needed are limited. For anyone wanting to move into pharmaceutical development, FDA, or clinical research, but don't have the life science degree many in the industry want you to have, this company will at least give you a shot. But even then, upward movement or professional development will have to be done on your terms and may cause you to have to uproot yourself from this organization once
Good place to start
Product Safety Specialist (Former Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great training
Cons: way too many to list
Training, second to none. Work culture, very poor. You are a cog in the wheel and go nowhere in the company without a fair amount of puckering up.
Hard environment to work in.
Pharmaceutical Product Development (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: co-workers
Cons: focused on tradition and not willing to change
While the co-workers were always great, PPD is a difficult place to work due to the lack of correct planning by management, leaving the employees to work extremely long hours when they really don't have to.

It is very difficult to get new ideas to take off in the company, which is unable to discuss change with its customers, but would rather bend over to the customer's desires without offering a better way for both the customer and PPD.

Most jobs are being outsourced to overseas locations, resulting in continual lay-offs which are not publicized in the local news. A majority of those laid off seem to be over 40, so the company is trending toward younger and less expensive workers.

I would lean toward Quintiles or another large CRO who has a real chance of changing with the economic times and taking care of their employees.
OK but
Pharmaceutical Product Development (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCJanuary 5, 2015
Pay low, work load high, and high turn over rate. Management needs to provide more support for workers, address the turnover to keep good employees. Location and working from home is great but limited flexibility.
Merrie Hallman
Sr. Global Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCDecember 17, 2014
Up and moving company. Great place to work. Global. Mostly enjoyed all the friends I made throughout the world and the daily interaction with them. Friends for life. Great benefits. Learned a great deal and gained great experience
Be Organize
Senior Project (Former Employee), MadridDecember 11, 2014
Pros: learn about clinical trials
Cons: high volume of mails
Most important of clinical trials is patient safety. Working in different projects at the same time, different pathologies, different protocols, different forms, SOPs and client requirements required very good organizative skills to compile with Good Clinical practice.

Each project will have their deadlines and it is important to be able to deal with a few deadlines during the same week or evens same day. Apart from your day to day work: calls, trainings, data base locks, meetings, there are multiple urgent requests along the day.

So be a very well organize person and be able to manage your time are key points on this role.
Lab Work
Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Athlone, WHNovember 19, 2014
Pros: vhi, cheap gym membership, cycle to work scheme
A typical day at work involves all tasks described in my job description.

I have learned alot about lab safety, SOP's, LIMS and how to wash inhalation equipment and how they test different products and all different aspects of the groups within PPD.

My co-workers are helpful and friendly to work with.

The hardest part of the job is that some duties, such as washing can be monotous.
very stressful
Associate Scientist - Cell Based Assays (Current Employee), Wayne, PAOctober 31, 2014
The work was very stressful. The people were nice. Job security was poor.
Strong company with management issues
Safety Specialist (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCOctober 24, 2014
Pros: benefits, co-workers, it support
Cons: work/life balance, management
This is a strong company with integrity that continues to improve and expand. In the past few years, the focus on personnel has changed from being personal to production based. Additionally, production expectation has skyrocketed while continued perfection in quality is maintained. Thus, meeting timelines is quite stressful and work/life balance has increasingly been dominated by work into the evenings and on the weekends. This is a sad change from the department atmosphere where employees and management had time for socialization to improve team and department attitudes, share work ideas, and improve work performance.
My experience with management was plagued with poor mentorship, lack of assistance for advancement, and finally, misguidedly pre-judged into a specific category. There are excellent managers in our department. Unfortunately, I was not assigned to one.
PPD offers a variety of activities for employees and many self improvement classes for those who have the time to take advantage of them.
Finally, I had several awesome co-workers/team members who willingly shared others workload and were always available to discuss problem issues. Unfortunately, there are many others who will "throw you under the bus" to appear more efficient and impress management. This is par in most companies now and a sad reflection of job performance evaluations.
CRO (Current Employee), Ukraine, KievOctober 20, 2014
Cons: healthcare
PPD
- experience of transferred project to other CRO
- involvement in clinical trials as administrative staff of the clinical monitoring team in urinary tract infection, rheumatoid arthritis and Crohn’s disease studies
- distribution, tracking and reporting of site customization forms and site satisfaction surveys
- requires communication with project manager, project team, and study sites to address and resolve issues with projects
- track and document program metrics
Very Productive and a Nice Place to work
Senior Data Processing Technician (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCOctober 9, 2014
Pros: very flexible
Cons: no cons
PPD is a very nice place to work. EMployees worked well together to meet deadline, and production.
Great Entry Level Job
Project Assistant (Current Employee), Blue Bell, PASeptember 14, 2014
Great for entry level work; great management; great work environment; LOTS of work
Worst place I have worked in my nursing career
Consultant nurse (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: not required to work on weekends or take call.
Cons: poor management, micro-managed by inexperienced people, no opportunity for career advancement, low pay scale, required to work overtime every 2 weeks
I left a job after 31 years to come here as well as took a huge cut in pay Biggest career mistake I have ever made.
I did not stay here a whole year.
The management was horrible to me as well as select other employees.
My coworkers were great and very helpful but that is where it stopped. I couldn't wait to get out the door and never look back!
PPD has really grown since I joined in 1997.
Pharmaceutical Product Development Wilmington (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCSeptember 2, 2014
Great Company to work for in today's enviroment. I am responsible for 25 million in Air travel. This job presents a new challenge everday. Our online booking system is used throughout Norh America and Canada and my office is responsible for its fulfillment requirements. We never have a dull moment.
Productive and career driven place
Research Coordination Specialist (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 27, 2014
PPD Inc. is a great company to work for and i enjoyed it. I believe it is time to move on and work in a different career path.
Great working ex
Clinical Site Manager (Former Employee), Mumbai, MHAugust 24, 2014
Pros: great learning
Cons: work pressure
it was great working experience in PPD. It was a great learning experience. spend almost 3.5 years in company and it was great. Training are to good
Good place to work but pay is below average
Pharmaceutical Product Development (Current Employee), Middleton, WIAugust 20, 2014
Pros: flexibility, paid time off, learning/experience opportunities, friendly
Cons: low wages
The work environment is friendly and professional. The work/life balance was poor in the last few years (2010-2013) but is improving. The hours are super flexible and the vacation time is very good. The benefits are probably average, but the wages are below average.
Good place to start a career in Clinical trials
Clinical Data Associate II (Current Employee), Smolensk, RussiaAugust 18, 2014
To start working at one of the "titans" of clinical industry is a chance to get great experience for further career development. Due to various department, people and cultures gets a good communication practice.

1 2 3 4 5

About PPD (Pharmaceutical Product Development, Inc.)

PPD is a leading global contract research organization providing drug discovery, development, lifecycle management and laboratory – Read more