Potluck Café and Catering (Potluck) is looking to expand our team! Potluck is currently seeking an individual for the position of Sous Chef. This is a part-time position that will likely lead into full-time. It requires flexible hours Monday through to Sunday.
Potluck is an award winning and innovative Social Enterprise operating in the heart of the Downtown Eastside and the caterer of choice for hundreds of progressive corporate, non-profit and government clients across Vancouver. As an award winning Social Enterprise, the mission of Potluck Café Society is to transform lives by creating jobs and providing healthy food for people living in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside (DTES). Potluck operates Potluck Café & Catering to create jobs for neighborhood residents with barriers to traditional employment and earn revenue to support its community programs. Potluck also has a mandate to increase the economic development and health of the Downtown Eastside, which in part means committing to sustainable and green operating standards.
The Sous Chef position is a 100% hands-on food production role that also includes designated kitchen management responsibilities. Working with the Chef and the Executive Director, the Sous Chef is responsible for the day-to-day execution of all aspects of Potluck’s busy food operations including corporate catering, community meal programs and the café. The Sous Chef is responsible for ensuring that all food operations are efficient, well-organized and meets food safe standards. The successful candidate creates a positive and supportive work environment, which includes individuals from all walks of life and with various abilities.
Key Success Factors
Success in the role of Sous Chef will be achieved by:
- Ensuring exceptional catering food quality & presentation standards
- Implementing and maintaining kitchen management best practices
- Understanding the social enterprise business model
- Creating a respectful and inclusive workplace culture
- Mentoring all staff, with or without barriers, and providing on-the-job training
- A genuine interest in the well-being of the Downtown Eastside
Who you are: Required Qualifications
- 1 to 2 years senior kitchen experience in a high volume kitchen (catering kitchen experience required)
- Understanding of kitchen management and systems fundamentals (food costing, receiving, inventory/ordering, preparation, production, presentation, customer service, commercial kitchen cleaning)
- Menu development
- Food purchasing/costing experience
- Solid computer skills including proficiency with E-mail, Internet, Microsoft Word and Excel spreadsheets
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to work with and mentor diverse staff including those with multiple barriers
- A genuine interest in community and sustainability issues, and especially the Downtown Eastside Community
If you are looking to combine your professional pursuits with a social cause this is an excellent opportunity for you. A fast-paced and challenging environment, where everyone is there with a greater purpose in mind, Potluck Café and Catering could be just the role you’re looking for.
Potluck offers a competitive wage and a benefits package.
For more information please visit www.potluckcatering.com or www.potluckcatering.org
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume.
We thank-you for your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.