Porte Parole is seeking an intern to serve as a New Play Development Assistant to company playwright, Annabel Soutar. The intern will research, process, organize and assemble material for Ms. Soutar's new documentary play about water dynamics in North America.
About Porte Parole:
At Porte Parole we dig political dialogue and believe theatre is the best medium to engage in it.
For the past 12 years we have created and performed 10 productions of 7 critically acclaimed plays that have opened up a unique civic arena in Montreal: one where spectators become active and engaged citizens through the transformative power of theatre.
Porte Parole’s stage is the world itself. Each of our plays dives deep down into the human detail of urgent current event stories, empowering our audience to understand the root causes of social conflicts and inspiring them to play an active role in confronting them.
Porte Parole is the one link that has been lost in our democratic chain: the space where each one of us is inspired to become a player in a dynamic political community.
- Stay current on water issues in Canada and across North America
- Conduct focused research on relevant topics
- Transcribe recorded interviews
- Work collaboratively with the playwright to analyze material & develop narrative structure
- Communicate with experts outside of the theatre profession
- Keep materials organized and assessable to the creative team at all times
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Highly organized, able to stay on-task and work with deadlines
- Experience selectively transcribing interviews for theatrical purposes
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and tasks yet-to-be defined
- Ability to think both critically and creatively
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a collaborative team
- Superb research skills
- Possess a 4 year university degree in theatre
- Have at least 2 years of professional career experience in theatre for social awareness
- Some expertise in creative and technical writing
- Experience working in the documentary form
- Present knowledge of water issues in Canada and the United States
- Experience working in public policy a plus
- Some knowledge of French
Please submit a cover letter, current creative & professional CV and a 5-10 page creative writing sample