Pollard Banknote Limited Employee Reviews

Exellent management team, excellent co-workers. And excellent owners who care about employees.
Package line assistant (Former Employee) –  Ssm24 May 2017
So many incentives to move and learn other things within the company. Excellent training.it feels like the pollard brothers care about there employees. Donuts & coffee or ordered in lunches for staff just to say thank you. Turkey's at Xmas bbq get togethers in the summer. Paid days off for making deadlines. I could go on and on about how great the company is.. 10plus company to work for.
Pros
All staff and no weekends
Cons
I guess... the pay.
Great Company!
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 April 2017
Great place to work, good staff and company culture. Very helpful on training production workers. Good clear color coding on chemicals, strong organization of instructions, good supervisor relations with production workers. Paid well for good work.
Pros
3-4 day work weeks, optional overtime, company benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Great place to work with many benefits
Lab Technician, Folder Operator (Former Employee) –  Kamloops BC, Winnipeg, MB8 February 2017
Pollard was a overall great place to work. Safety culture strictly enforced. Excellent advancement program. Education advancement programs were available. Pay scale was reasonable, with decent raises. Gym on site for employees.
Pros
12 hr shifts, onsite fitness center, medical benefits package
Cons
Kamloops facility closed in 2010
Do what you are told and don't ask questions.
Technician (Former Employee) –  140 Otter Street. Winnipeg, Manitoba6 January 2017
Working with coworkers was fine. However all company motivation is production based. The company is reactive, not proactive. This makes working there a bit of a sweat shop and moral is very low. A good stepping stone to working else where because there is no loyalty while working there. It is common for employees with 15, 20, even 40 years of service, to get let go.
Pros
Coworkers are nice and helpful.
Cons
Job resources and loyalty are non existent.
Dead end job
Professional White Collar (Former Employee) –  140 Otter St Winnnipeg8 October 2016
It's not a bad place to work, but it's a dead end job with no room for advancement. Most people do not last more than three years. It's a good place to work if you're looking for something fresh out of school, but you should leave when you're gathered enough experience to work at other place. They do not like senior employees that offer ideas. Their ideal employee is a drone that does what they're told.
Pros
It's in the suburbs and parking is free
Cons
Military style management. Do what you're told and do not ask questions.
messed up
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 May 2016
Terrible. The infighting is one of the worst I have seen in my career. They sold me on the business at interview time and hinted that there were problems. They sure do...the nastiest women talking about each other, not cooperating, no team work and no management team working to change it. I literally started looking for another job asap to get away from the sick environment. The HR department is no better.
Pros
I had a job
Cons
everything else
A stable company in a very stable industry.
Lead Hand, Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 March 2016
Great family to work for. Management needs upgrading. Very professional. People who have worked at PBL for a long period of time feel their department is a kingdom. Team work/attitude didn't carry farther than some departments. All in all a good company to work for.
Pros
Most fellow employees are great to work with
Cons
Management style is to aggressive. To many kingdoms within the team.
Not a fun place to work
Game Planner/Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2016
I will deal with my client day to day and manage current problems we had on different tickets and deadlines for working paper (which is legal document) to print a new game.
The day to day work was okay but the management was terrible and only few co-workers were there to help and train me, even thought there was not real training.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
don"t pay overtime, bad environement
loud and smelly
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  kamloops5 March 2015
if you like to work fast, be timed on your breaks,sit for long periods of time, get yelled at by your lead hand. not very good pay but did give profit sharing. 12 hr shifts open over time
Pros
BB-Q's and outdoor golf, basketball, profit sharing great benefits
Cons
long hours and very loud
Productive and Fun workplace
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario17 June 2014
Great place to work, I think I most enjoyed the team work and being part of such an enthusiastic group of people who were always ready to meet the days expectations.
Pros
Dollar an hour more pay if worked nights
Cons
night shift
Awesome people, great atmosphere.
Ticket Finisher, Labour Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2014
Pollard Banknote, has probably been the best job I've had, they were very flexible with me, whenever I couldnt make it to work, it was never a hassle, the people over there are very friendly, I would have stayed longer, however I'm heading to school full-time, with them not capable of giving me the part time hours. Awesome place, will definitely be missed.
Pros
night premium, 4 days off.
Cons
My first job in the printing industry.
Printing pressman (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 January 2014
I was offered one month of training on a Multilith 1250, after which if I could work effectively on my own the job was mine. After 3 weeks of training I was on my own. The job entailed printing personal & business checks for banking institutions. The printing presses were unique because they had a second stage that included numbering attachments that printed the check #'s in red and the sequential numbering in magnetic black ink in line with the branch and account #'s at the bottom of the checks.
The division of Pollard Banknote was so successful that it was bought out by British American Banknote and moved to a new facility in the area. The new company was called Winnipeg Banknote.
Pros
Great training, vey good management
Cons
Very competitive wages
i like working for the company
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 August 2013
inspecting lottery ticket or shipping tickets to customers
the work place was always busy.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
night shift
I was given the freedom to get the jobs done to meet scheduling.
Plant Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, Alberta20 July 2013
Each shift started with communication and job allocation for staff. Tool box talks, trouble shooting equipment, communicating with management, writing up incident reports, and collaborate with HR in any investigations. When required write safe work procedures, operate machinery as well as keep quality with in customer specs. Each shift ended with recording shift production, problems, solutions, what worked well, and breakdowns in the PA log book. Verbal communication was key both for outgoing and incoming shifts. The overall thing I took away from this job was accountability. Co-chair of Joint Health and Safety Committee.
Pros
Excellant learning experience.
Cons
Too high of turn over.
Fast paced.
Manufacturing Auditor (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, Alberta26 March 2013
It was a boring and tedious job but made new friends and acquaintances.
Pros
left alone to do job.
Cons
shift work
enjoyed working with my fellow co workers
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON7 December 2012
checking the quality of scratch tickets before they r packaged and shipped out...i learned how to be very diligent about my work habits and finding bad quality of tickets quickly and efficiantly...management were out to make money and not so concerned about their employees...i loved working with my fellow co workers...hardest part was probably the standing for long periods of time...meeting and making new freinds
Pros
weekends off
Cons
standing long periods of time
Quality standards changed for the worst in my opinion.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, AB11 September 2012
I learned how to prioritize duties and how to meet deadlines.Meet and exceed the expectations of the customer. How to be well organized and keep accurate records of all information that I that I was privy too. Good communication was essential with my superiors as they had the final say. The hardest part of the job was the stress of meeting impossible deadlines and accepting, in my opinion, poor quality standards.
Pros
working with others
Cons
management
lottery production
Material Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, AB8 August 2012
I worked as a material operations manager for two years with this company but having to sit back and watch the plant manager treat his workers with so much disrespect I felt it was a tough decision but I chose to move on ..this company would have been the ideal plce to work if it wasnt for the manager..and it was because of him that this place struggles to find and keep employees..he has since retired and i havent inquired about this workplace since as it no longer had the same desire for me.