Plus One Health Management Employee Reviews

Great Company Overall but the ExxonMobil Site was a different story...
Fitness Director / Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXNovember 17, 2015
My experience with Plus One continues to have it's ups and downs. The overall company culture is what I was looking for but my particular site is ran more like a commercial gym. I worked in commercial gyms for over 10 years and didn't like the cutthroat culture where you're constantly looking over your shoulder because of management or team members. I was recruited by Plus One, and although I've been very successful in my position, my site is not a place I would recommend working for or a place I would consider an enjoyable work atmosphere.
Pros
Education Stipend, Good Benefits, Flexible Schedule
Cons
No 401K Matching, Politics, Limited Growth
Great company
GENERAL MANAGEMENT/SALES (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMay 23, 2016
Enjoyed the Mon-Fri schedule and work life balance. Every company has hiccups but this company I enjoyed working for was consistently good. I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers and managers. I loved the culture!
Fun work place
Exercise Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORDecember 23, 2015
Great place to work. Have a good manger, and good work and life balance within the company. The client is great to work for, always able to get something done that we need in a timely manner.
Great place for building experience but not long term career
Site Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2013
Working for Plus One can be a great opportunity for growth and career advancement. Compensation is not always attractive and there's higher expectations with less pay. Company has a potential of becoming the best if only they could retain top leaders and increase CHQ support. The best part was truly the site team environment regardless of any situation.
Pros
opportunity for growth; great workplace ambiance depending in site
Cons
compensation not competitive; low chq support;
Positive and healthy environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CA and Manhattan, NYMay 23, 2013
I've worked at two different Plus One sites and have had nothing but positive experiences. As a customer service professional, I have to give Plus One all of the credit for the customer service skills that I hold today: there's a great program for all Plus One employees called "P.R.I.D.E", which really does help increase your knowledge and skills in customer service. It also allows you to communicate with other Plus One employees all over the country.

I've had nothing but great experiences with other Plus One employees. My main reason for leaving was salary-related. I feel that the salaries tend to stray more on the 'entry-level' side of the spectrum, which is totally understandable, considering I was a receptionist.

Overall, I'm a very satisfied previous Plus One employee: with the experienced gained while previously working with this company, I've been able to grow and attain a higher position elsewhere with nearly twice my previous salary.
Pros
great co-workers, firm grasp on terrific customer service
Cons
prone to micro-management, less than desirable salary offers
Disappointed - Not The Experience or Company I Thought It Would Be
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 12, 2016
I have worked in corporate wellness for the last 8 years, with 3 different companies who all fall within the top 5 corporate wellness companies. When the company I was previously working for lost their contract with the client site, I was excited to learn our new contract would be with Plus One Health Management, as I had an interest in them for several years and was finally getting an opportunity to work for them.

Through our transition, we also went through a change in district managers, and the work load was very overwhelming, I felt as though the training process was not well planned and there was little guidance and support given by the DMs and HR. They seem to put a lot of pressure and responsibility on the GMs and ask a lot of them that becomes unrealistic to manage at times, yet have unrealistic expectations. It would be nice to be delegate some of the easier tasks to exercise specialists in order to allow GMs to have more time to focus on higher priority items and manage time better.

I was unhappy with the HR team at Plus One. They are very slow to respond to questions, and you usually have to follow up with them 2+ times before you get a response. What happen to a 24hr email etiquette.

Upper management is not supportive to middle management, and feel at times you are being set up for FAILURE, not success. They knit pick every little thing with little willingness to help you improve or understand their personal expectations. Upper management needs to be better trained on job performance process and procedures, and coach all team members in the same manner.
  more... Proper opportunities to improve and show growth is not given, especially if you are working for them in an "at will state."

I had an experience with both of my staff where I had received 3 complaints in one day from members of our facility. Customer service is one job responsibility that Plus One holds at very high regards. This was not being met by my team members. I reached out to my DM for advice on how to handle this situation, as we were in the early stages of transiting from our old company to Plus One. His reply was, "let's not take this to HR, let's deal with this ourselves." I trusted in my upper management to guide me correctly, but later discovered this was not the case, as I was being wrongfully written up and terminated without job coaching for a performance concern while team members were falling short of the high expectation held in regards to customer service. Which I view to be a high priority and standard to uphold in regards to job performance and requirements, as Plus One does as well according to their job descriptions.

Very disappointed in my overall experience. Not sure I'd recommend others to work with Plus One.
Pros
Wellness Incentive Program, Continuing Education Seminars Within
Cons
Upper Management, Lack of Support, Workload, Human Resources Team, Failure to Coach On Job Performance, Wrongful Terminations
Great college job
Exercise Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 21, 2014
Good education support for full time employees. Great benefits for full time employees. Unfortunately base salary is the same across the nation; this should absolutely change and is not logical in any way. Plusone management may be powerless depending on the cite location. The cite I was at was to controlling, which made the team less successful.
Great Company
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 25, 2014
Great Management staff and benefits. I enjoyed working here!
Great People, Poor Work life
CHQ (Former Employee) –  New YorkMay 13, 2013
Great overall mission and nice people to work with, but not a place to grow your career
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
lack of organization, terrible compensation, office is ironically not healthy, unrealistic workloads, no work-life balance
Must be pro-active in this company
Trainer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2014
This company provides you with opportunities for personal advancement (raises, stipends for degrees/certifications) if you are a full time employee, you just have to be pro-active and seek them out. Each location is different, some better than others, I love where I work!
Great place to learn and grow
General Manager and Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2012
Currently manage 8,000 sq. ft facility during the day, train clients in the evening. Learned every aspect of the fitness industry and honed my skills. Management is terrific, love the company and co-workers. The long hours are the hardest part, being away from my family and having to work 15 hours a day to make a living to support my family is too much to bear for a sustainable work life balance given a long enough time line. I love what I do and helping people improve their quality of life and longevity is what I have been trained to do. I would like to find a better balance for myself and my family.
Pros
doing what i love to do, great opportunities
Cons
better work/lfe balance
Super Professional and nice!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 12, 2012
Plus One gives me a very professional career path. I started as an Exercise Specialist and I'm working my way up to management - I'm an Assistant Manager. They have helpful and caring people who want you to learn and do well. I am having a very positive experience. A typical day at work means I'm helping members with their workouts, doing orientations, maybe teaching a class, doing some paperwork. They want to see you talking to members and helping them achieve a positive result from their experience. My co-workers are great - they are professional, helpful - like family - we all help each other out. The hardest part of the job is demanding clientele. The clientele expects excellent service and its hard to be "on" all the time, but you learn to do it. The most enjoyable part of the job is the working exnviroment and the members. They are so appreciative when you help them - its very rewarding.
Pros
free workout; access to professional resources; education
Cons
wearing a uniform and a name tag
Corporate fitness facility
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, PAJune 26, 2015
My internship with his company was terrific. I was very pleased with the manager and the environment I was in. Although we were at a very small facility, making connections with the members was what made the day so fulfilling. I really enjoyed my time with PlusOne.
Unique work environment in delivering wellness product within clients' site.
Exercise Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2015
Very engaging with clients' employees and developing exercise programs for his/her well-being.
Able to interact with executive personnel in creating incentive programs to emphasize healthy culture and lifestyle at work.
offer lots of incentives like cash prizes, free snack food and party events.
Don't Be Fooled
General Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisApril 30, 2013
This company will work you to death. In order to low-bid their competitor, Plus One forces managers to do towel service (dirty towels, laundry, etc), filling shampoo bottles, toiletries. They want you to clean several times a day with a masters or bachelors degree! They won't tell you about the back breaking cleaning and towel service until you have been hired. On top of that you are responsible for managing the fitness center and selling personal training. Try selling yourself as an expert in fitness while picking up bins of dirty, wet towels. Members actually made fun of us.

There is no work-life balance. You may start off with set hours but eventually they will either cut someone's throat or someone will quit. Then you will be responsible for working the missing person's shift on-top of your own. What does that mean? You day could start at 5am and end at 11pm for weeks on end. BTW you won't get overtime doing this because you are salaried and locked in at as low a salary as they can get away with. You are always on call and may get calls about the facility at any and all hours of the night. If you have a family or want to have a family, then this is not the place for you.

Turnover is high and the work environment is cut throat. The only positive that I can list is that they encourage continuing education which is done in-house and usually led by your co-worker. So the blind leading the blind.

Most of your day at work will not include the things that fitness staff would normally do (personal training, group fitness, nutrition). Instead, they outsource those services to
  more... part-time staff. You are also discouraged from working out in their facilities, even though the benefits package says you can workout there. I switched to one of Plus One's competitor's for better work conditions and to be treated like a human-not a work horse. My time there was hell but at least now I'm with a good company and not a subcontractor.  less
Pros
in-house education
Cons
low pay, treated like a janitor, little to no vacation/holidays, not family friendly, corporate office in ny unresponsive to staff
No room for growth
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Not GivenJune 17, 2015
Best part of my day is working with my members, especially my personal training clients. My current direct report is amazing..however corporate support to the site level is awful.
Locker Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2014
Working for PLUS ONE was a great experience ,a typical day would start by getting amenities cleaned ready for gym members to us.Every day presented its self with new challenges but my co-workers and myself would always manage to meet the need of the members and management . Most enjoyable part of my job was getting the appreciation for the gym members and how much they enjoyed working out their.
Pros
free membership at the gym
Terrible company to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 23, 2013
They are only about the clients. Upper management such as vice presidents and presidents do not support the middle management. They set up employees for FAILURE!! Was replaced by someone within the company returning from medical leave because this employee was terminated from a different site. I was aware of this because some of the members at the fitness center had told me. The manager who had replaced me called me and told me the truth.
Fun place to work at and rewarding health wise.
Health Exercise specialist (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CADecember 29, 2013
I like working for the company, I was able to meet many good people and work with them. I was able to teach classes and train.

The day starts early 5am or 6 am, one would work 8 hour shift.
You will learn how to launch health and wellness programs. You also are able to take on-line short lectures to advance your knowledge.
For the most part you will have one or two co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is to get people to participate in programs and keep them active.
You will not take your job home.
Pros
five days a week for the most part.
Cons
hard to move up.
Less than stellar work environment
Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILOctober 5, 2014
Slower paced work environment than typical fitness facilities. Management was not always on the ball or present with employees.