PLASP Child Care Services Employee Reviews

PLASP not what it is said to be.
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 December 2017
The job is not they make it out to be. They expect staff to come in 30 min to hour early and not be compensated for it. They do not allow you to engage in art activities with the children. They do not allow you to sit for snack with the children and you feel like you are on egg shells. I was made to feel very uncomfortable and insecure. They do not pay well for non-profit company. They pay the same as a for profit company. YMCA pays $2 an hour more for same work and they actually let you engage fully with the children on all levels.
Cons
expected to volunteer extra hours, not allowed to engage with children
Afternoon program
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2017
A typical day would include taking attendance for all 15 kids you are responsible for. Bringing them to the washroom and ensuring everyone washed their hands. Then have the children serve themselves snack. After snack you engage the children in fun activities such as crafts and games, some children do homework during this time. Depending on the weather we bring them outside for about 30 minutes. By 6pm all children are gone and you mark them out accordingly.
Really great culture!
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 September 2017
PLASP is by far the best place that I have worked in my five years in the childcare field. I have the best co-workers and an even better area manager. I love the culture and that everyone is treated as equal. Most importantly, everyone is supportive of each other. PLASP really looks out for its staff so that we can give 100% to the families we serve.
Pros
Supportive Staff/Managers, lots of advancement and room for growth, Pay is good once trainings are completed
Cons
Trainings are unpaid and the lack of flexibility to get time off outside of school breaks
Working with children
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 September 2017
Working with children balances my day.The children have lots of potential and seeing them fullfill their goals is the best part of my job. This opportunity has opened up other doors and makes me feel satisfied with life.
Pros
growth in the children
Cons
not enough hours
Great place to work.
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 September 2017
Before and After school programs. Education and training for the staff. Company loves the employees. Meetings and training are paid. Great people to work with.
Productive and life learning in advancing education
Special Needs Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 September 2017
Supporting children with exceptionalities from the ages of two to twelve:
Worked 7:15am to 6pm
Provided individual educational plans
Provided help to staff and families
Provided basic sign language to children who are non-verbal
Followed rules and regulations of PLASP Childcare services
Provided picture communication books to children who are non-verbal
Pros
benefits, workshops, support from inclusion manager
fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 September 2017
everyone was very friendly and just walking into the school would put a smile on your face with how happy everyone was always.
Everyone was so nice and they would always have a smile on their face, students would talk to their teachers and principals in the hallways just to say hey or go into the office to say hi.
such a friendly school.
Productive and fun work environment
Director (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 August 2017
Working before and after school programs offered flexible hours. The freedom to create events and activities for the children was the best part of the job! Although there was a lot of administrative work asked on by management, having the hours in between offered time to work on them. Overall it was a wonderful work experience!
Better for a Second Career
Director - SAK Program (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 July 2017
I would recommend waiting until you are ready to retire before you decide to work for PLASP or you have a family. It is not the company to work for when you are young and just starting out.
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 July 2017
Plasp is a world class childcare provider for over 40 years now. They believe in life long learners and provide opportunities to continue growing. I spend my work time with children in a school setting providing before and after care. It is a fun environment but demands dedication and flexibility.
Pros
split shifts
Cons
not many hours paid.
plasp
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 May 2017
helped take care of kids younger then me and made them breakfast or snacks or lunches depending on when the child would be at plasp. I would stay until after 6:00 pm because some parents took longer then expected but it was a great experience.
Student on Placement Experience
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 May 2017
My role at PLASP was a Student on Placement. So therefore I wasn't getting paid and it was a temporary position. However, I definitely enjoyed working there. The workplace environment was welcoming and everyone showed appreciation and care for each other. I advanced my skills in Microsoft Office and also discovered new applications such as Spreadsheet Compare. I also learned more about the process PLASP goes through to add a new school to their program. What I loved the most about the job was the appreciation for my hard work. Every day I learned and experienced something new so there was nothing hard or negative about this experience. The only down part was that they don't always hire their student on placements.
Fun place to work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 March 2017
The children at PLASP teach me new things every day. I have realised that little children have great minds and they have taught me to be more humble, friendly. They help me to do my job better.
Pros
Seeing smiles on the children's faces
Cons
Some children require discipline
Good salary and overall job conditions
PROGRAM SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 March 2017
-Good salary
-Good workplace environment
-Short hours
-Sometimes communication between head office and employees can be absent, but quickly clarified when asked for
-overall enjoyable job experience, with complimentary training and insightful meetings related to the job field
Hardest part of the job
Occasional staff (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 March 2017
The hardest part of this job was working as a occasional staff.It was difficult not knowing if and where you would be working the next day. Also at times I was required to do split shifts.
Pros
Going on trips
Cons
Splits shifts
Great place and people to work with
Student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 January 2017
I worked there as a student during my field placement. My mentors were great and I learnt a lot from them. Very caring and safe and healthy environment.
My first placement for my ECE training
Placement Student for ECE certification (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 November 2016
I had to adjust to the ECE environment and learn to work with the other students and ECE's at Plasp. I liked the environment and the ECE's and support staff ran the center very well. Children were always happy
Productive and fun place to work at
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 November 2016
Get to engage with children. You get to work with friendly people who share same interests as you. It is also flexible. A day at work would be coming in at 7am, preparing breakfast for the children, and having them be ready by 9am, or whenever their schools starts. Then, I'd go home and return to work. This is a great bonus as I am able to go home and finish work around the house. I then go back to work at around 3pm and finish at 6:30.
Exciting Workplace
ECE Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2016
Supply for different schools 3 days a week. Planning activities such as trips for kids on a daily basis. Performing different duties alongside teachers
Great Opportunity
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 September 2016
I worked for PLASP for two years as a program supervisor. My main reason for working there was my love for children. I enjoyed every minute of it however I was really taken a back when I learned that the expectations PLASP has of their employees are very high and too much for a basic part time job. A lot of unpaid time is required. I worked 10 hours a week and put in about 15 hours of unpaid required time every two weeks. It's not worth it because if you calculate the high wage you get and the unpaid time you put in, it works out that pay wage is just above minimum wage. Also I had a great director for two years and when I moved schools the director was terrible and made my shift unbearable. Be prepared to know alot of Information on your own. They put a lot of responsibility on you regarding paperwork and that takes away from enjoying the kids. If you have a passion for children, you might be able to look past all the demands.
Pros
children
Cons
excessive unpaid time, strict environment in some programs, high expectations that are unrealistic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PLASP Child Care Services. Our community is ready to answer.

PLASP Child Care Services Reviews by Location