PLAN CANADA Employee Reviews

Great job for a someone who loves being around people
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Ontario24 March 2016
I started working as a fundraiser while attending University. This was the perfect student job as the hours we flexible around my class schedule.

After University I decided to take on a more full-time role as a fundraiser. I was able to advance into a leadership position where I gained valuable experience.

This job was perfect for me as I able to combine my passion for talking to people with my passion for helping people.
Charity that sickens you
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 October 2016
While the atmosphere was ok, the manager moved the teams sales to better reflect his numbers to head office and openly stated! The team would get free nights out to sports events , where managerial staff behaved dangerously at times even putting other employees at risk. We were advised by team leaders to tell people that their credit cards would not be charged until they next month when in actuality the money was being taken at that moment and will continue to be for months unless the cardholder calls into cancel.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
unstable
productive and fun place to work
Program Coordinator - graduate student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
A great place to work. I learned a lot from my colleagues on how to work in a team setting. My co-workers were very nice and helpful.
Pros
travels to the field
Cons
none that I can think of
Very interactive, innovative and fun ways and its members, in communicating with and assisting the children and communities in fundamental ways needed
Sponsor/Donor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 April 2016
Being a sponsor with Plan Canada, and one of its children from the country, Haiti, for a bit more than 2 years now, as well as recently becoming a sponsor for a lovely little girl in Thailand has really given me the insight and experience to great and innovative, technological ways and methods in which Plan Canada, and I assume, Plan worldwide, uses in order to keep in contact, further connection and to assist these children, their communities and wider societies, in a much broader spectrum in all the essential ways needed.

I have worked with lovely, open-minded, willing, flexible and all the more open-hearted individuals who are always willing to extend their efforts for the sponsor, myself, and for the benefit of the children.

I am very happy and satisfied even being a part of Plan's major plans for the countries in need, worldwide.
Pros
Innovation, experience and worldwide travel for the children's benefit and recreation
Fundraising
Fundraising (Former Employee) –  Toronto13 November 2013
Terrible Charity!!! They copy cat other organizations. Money does not go to the child, to admin and overhead. I think their program 'Because I am a girl' is bias.' plenty of boys need empowerment too.
Years of poor management and leadership have created a crisis of cohesion -- it's very difficult to get anything done that requires the input of more than one or two people. Very few people work together and/or trust one another. A few employees are openly hostile towards others. Senior management is so weak that many employees who require additional support/instruction/management in order to complete tasks on time and as required get zero feedback and face no repercussions for shoddy, incomplete work. As a consequence, morale is the pits. Due to funding instability and shortfalls, opportunities for advancement and career growth are limited Mentorship opportunities are few and far between. Many employees are so overworked, they can barely think about supporting new hires and/or subordinates.
Pros
Location, humanitarian work, some pop for travel if you're in the right position
Cons
No work life balance, m shoddy management, complacency, politics
Company Rating
Mailroom Clerk & Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2015
I got into the office, delivered items to co-workers if and when needed. I learned how to deal with difficult situations and how to work in a busy work environment. The management would give important updates to do with the work the organization did. My co-workers were helpful and always willing to help. I always had a hard time to process cheques. I love to deal with the general public and help them sort through issues.
Pros
The entire company would get together to celebrate milestones.
Cons
getting into work very early and leaving late at the end of the day.
Plan Canada
Associate, Marketing (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 September 2015
Plan Canada was an exceptional place to work. The culture was amazing the work was satisfying and I enjoyed attending work everyday. The salary however is what you would expect from a non for profit.
Pros
Lunches, environment, people
Cons
salary
Poor management
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2013
There is one department you better avoid going there is Donor Support department. The manager is a very unprofessional person. He forced you to talk about your personal life and if you do not attend his gathering and parties!, forget about getting other opportunities. He has this family network with the head of the HR so he is not afraid of his bad behavior. In summary if you are looking for advancement, it is a wrong place to get in. Your chances are slim and the salary sucks.

In a year, I have seen how many talented young professional walked out of this place because of bad treatment. This organization who wants to provide equal opportunities for people around the world, are discriminating people inside its own organization. Many positions are created for kids and family members of senior employees. Many positions they post, they already have the person and they do it for formality. I am counting days for my contract to finish.
Pros
Might get opportunity to learn about other departments
Cons
unprofessional environment, unfairness
Great company - great people
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto19 October 2015
An excellent organization to work for - the work that they do is very meaningful and effective. Progress reports have shown fantastic results and statistics towards development. The people are friendly making for a very pleasant work experience.Pay scales are very poor in most entry level roles. Vast discrepancy between managerial roles vs. coordinator/specialist roles. Coordinator roles have higher expectations but are paid poorly. Not much room or opportunity for growth.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Very poor pay scales
Productive & fun workplace
Volunteer Worker (Office Support) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, on24 February 2014
Work/Life balance is top priority for this company, everyone in management was super friendly. Very HR friendly company.
Pros
Co-worker
Cons
nothing
Great work environment.
Fundraising Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto30 June 2015
Great Organization.
Working as a fundraising associate really honed my public speaking skills. Join it if you are passionate about the cause.

You have to face a lot of rejection in fundraising but it has definitely made me a stronger person. when someone signs up to be a monthly doner and sponsors a child ,you really get a sense of fulfillment.

There are continuous training and mentor ship programs.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
You have face a lot of rejection from prospects.
For Campaign Manager and Sales
HUMAN RIGHTS ADVOCATE AND TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 December 2014
Always exposed to the public, in south west and gta, you must love the people skills and negotiations for causes you are passionate about. I always had to manage people, staff from all campaigns ensuring they worked well with each other, motivate and strategizing in how to get people to believe in our causes and join.
Also, using and demonstrating new techniques in how to gain business with public and possibly new partners.
Training and dealing with people is a must and always being on your toes for cues and opportunities.
Results always were tabulated and ensuring we reached our targets everyday. But always educating and public relations is a mandatory requirement as well.
Pros
WORKING WITH PEOPLE
Cons
not taking business model to other level
Great learning experience for not just myself but everyone I have encountered
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK12 September 2014
This job helped not only myself but everyone else I bumped into learn the importance of the sponsorship of children and people around the world. It opened our eyes to what is really going on in the world around us, it ensured us the safety of those we helped and the learning experience was amazing. It also helped with the tolerance of pure ignorance, and helped keep a focus on what is truly important. I enjoyed standing for countless hours and talking to random people about what it is this company.
Pros
Meeting new people, learning new things.
Cons
Odd hours
Great Organization.
Fundrasing (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON26 November 2013
All around, this organization is top-notch. Very good cause, delightful people and a very positive, pleasant atmosphere. I enjoy working for Plan knowing I am capable of making a difference in the world! I have enhanced my communication skills and have been exposed to learning about situations that I don't think I would have otherwise been exposed to much. I am very grateful for the high positive energy of my fellow co-workers and the flexibility of the hours and my supervisors. Even though getting rejected isn't exactly fun, it was an awesome feeling to know I am helping a great cause reach great potential.
Pros
Awesome co-workers/supervisors
Cons
Standing for long periods
Well organize and friendly environment
Mail and Child Operation Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2013
Kept organization database accurate and updated, sorted mails, and make sure items inside packages are safe to be mailed out to children. I have learned how to be effective, accurate, and paying attention to details. I enjoyed this job because of the reason behind the job and that is to reach out to children who are less fortunate in the world.
Homely and compassionate
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  95 St Clair Ave Ssuite 1001,Toronto, ON29 March 2013
Every one gives it there all to make the world a better place to live in and give hope to the next generation in the less fortunate parts of the world.
Pros
alot of free launches
Cons
not so many overtimes are given
It was a fun workplace with good people
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 January 2013
What i enjoy most about this job is the people that i met there, they made the work environment to be adaptable and fun..
Pros
freewill
Cons
just the danger of going from d2d
very fun and great cause
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2013
its an awesome company where we are able to do something for a great cause and have fun while doing it.
Pros
Flexable
Sincere, honest and hard working
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2012
Honesty is important.
TEAM=Together Everyone Achieves More, team work is important.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB28 April 2014
Correct cash mistakes, I was a supervisor and learned how to open and close as well.

4.2