7.4K reviews

Pizza Hut Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced, run-down, and lack of passion or care.
Cook (Current Employee), 1920 Dundas Street , London, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: free food
Cons: not enough hours, a lack of teamwork and leadership skills, and no passion or strive for safe and clean working enviroment with food
Pizza Hut is one of my most favorite pizza companies, until I started working there. Now, I know what goes on behind the scenes and who was actually making my food all these years. Fortunately for me , even though I still work here, I came into this business with the passion, care and want, plus all the certificates to go with it. Unfortunately though, this is my first job with the title Cook, and no I am not ashamed just irritated.

A typical day at work: I arrive by 4pm but my schedule has been cut a few hours here and there every other week. Sometimes 30 hours, sometimes less, but most days I start at 5pm. I then get myself ready aswell as then beginning my preparation work for the store. First I make sure all food is safe, clean and ready, then I begin to fill "make-table" inserts (before and after I wash my hands thoroughly), after I see if any orders need to be made and then continue with my mid-day clean up and making/prep of food items. I do not handle food without first washing hands, and in a rush I do not skip this step. Also, I do not take breaks without first having everything done.

What I learned: My first day my manager told me that "Most things here aren't done properly."
I noticed there was no paper towel or soap in dispenser, It was my first day I couldn't do it myself without asking.
Every time I didn't know how to do something I had to ask. There was no real training week or period.

My management and coworkers: Are in the same category because they act the same and know about the same.

The hardest part of the job: The fast-paced rushes at dinner time because – more... of poor teamwork skills/ management and store prep.

Most enjoyable: I get the most expensive pizza for FREE. – less
fast passed environment with great people
production worker (Former Employee), Leduc, AlbertaApril 21, 2015
Pros: Free lunches and friendly Coworkers
Cons: long shifts and short staff
On a normal day I'd come in at around 4 or 5 and make sure the make table was well stocked and if I needed to grab anything or prep it for later such as cutting more vegetables. Throughout the shift I would either make orders as they came or cut pizzas and package them depending on if they were for dine-in or if they were leaving the store. I would also do dishes through out if time permitted. By the end of the shift all dishes needed to be cleaned and put away, all surfaces wiped, expired products disposed of, filter the oil in the deep fryer and scrub it, and we would sweep and mop the floors.

This job really reinforced time management throughout the shift as the chores really added up to a large amount of time if left to the end of the shift. We also really had to pay attention to expiration dates as many products expire rather quickly such as dough.

Management and co-workers were great, we all got along for the most part and everybody did their part in making sure the restaurant ran smoothly.

I believe that the hardest part of the job was making sure to communicate what stage we were at with producing different orders when many people were working at once because sometimes when two or more people were working on one large order, certain items could have been made twice.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment because while everybody was a hard worker, we still had a bit of fun while business was slow.
understaffed, under payed, tough to advance and make a living
Delivery driver, and light kitchen help (Current Employee), st,catharines, ontarioAugust 6, 2013
Pros: decent money on some days, depending on manager, or customer cancellations =free or a deal on dinner.
Cons: no incentive over time, fattening food
drivers don't make money UNLESS kitchen employees are efficient and customers tip well... also traffic dependent, and also affected by poor lighting at night, customers that don't have a house number within easy viewing display, or lit, or customers not ready to except the meal-for whatever reasoning, not answering their door for 5 minutes at times, or not specifying a buzzer or apartment number, or back/front door, through gate, upstairs that don't meet building code... the restaurant does not pay enough on it's own.

overall, kitchen/restaurant staff is mostly in a revolving door situation, many young employees, just trying to make things work.

like in any customer service setting, there are always some ridiculous customers who don't understand that they are not the only customer, and/or other factors (like planning daily dough yields based upon last years' sales of that day, and then being short staffed, and then short on supplies halfway through a dinner rush).

to close: not meant to be a career, unless you are going to a regional manager or other "big wig"
It's a fun workplace with friendly co-workers who do their best to make you feel like you belong
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 23, 2013
Pros: friendly co-workers, secure workplace, free meals
Cons: in the summer, hours get cut down, on occasion we get busy and are left short-staffed
-I have worked there for 11 months and it is a good workplace

- a typical day at work would be to show up, figure out what station you'll be working that evening, and you fufill orders, clean your station and helpout any other stations that need help.

-I have been trained on pizza making, pasta making, saucing and boxing wings,cutting and boxing pizzas, doing dishes, and basic odd jobs around the restaurant. I have also on occasion helped out the servers that needed help whether it is fetching drinks for them, or busing tables.

-We have four managers and all of them are capable and good at their jobs. They provide assisstance and guidance where it is needed.

-The hardest part of the job would have to be when it gets really busy and we are short staffed, we sometimes are a hard time keeping up wit orders. Also, when we get people yelling at us over the phone for problems that are not our fault.
-the most enjoyable partof the job is walking into work and seeing the familiar friendly faces of my co-workers.
Many skills learned
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioApril 6, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, discounts at KFC and Taco Bell
Cons: Distance from home and work
Pizza Hut is my very first job. I started in September 2014 and quickly became the assistant manager due to my good work. In the midst of this, I also received my Food Handler's certificate. I was rated the most valuable employee as well as the employee who received the most customer surveys (which is needed every period). I learned how to deal with unsatisfied customers and how to resolve the issue quick and reasonably so that the customer is always happy in the end. I deposit the cash into the bank when I have opening shifts and count all the cash during closing shifts. I am in charge of the employees for that given shift. My coworkers and I have a strong, professional relationship and we all get along. There is nothing that I would consider "hard" about my job because everything is pretty straight forward. But the thing that I am the most cautious about is ensuring all the information I am sending to the head offices daily is correct. The most enjoyable part of my job is making customers happy with the service and food they receive.
"Shift Supervisor"
"Shift Supervisor" (Former Employee), Sicamous, BCJanuary 26, 2016
The store just opened and the owners don't even have everything ready. So after about a month both of them leave and don't come back. They are passive aggressive. As a "Shift Supervisor" I was no one special. We were under staffed, under paid, under trained. I was given the job title of store manager and they never told any one like they said they would, and refused to train me on things. As soon as they told me I would be the store manager I got a text 6 hours later saying that MY store was not running very organized and that this didn't look good on me and no one was happy. Well that's because when they left they didn't leave anyone in change. As the store manager when I asked the owners friend for the safe key so I was able to get change for the tills (which he never kept stocked properly) I was informed by the owners friend that He was the only one to have a key and no one but him was allowed in there. Which told me I was not the store manager and that I was a no one. They told me what I wanted to hear to keep me there until they got other people hired.
Productive workplace with amazing co-workers
Waitress/Cashier (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 24, 2012
Pros: discounted food
Cons: short hours
A typical day at work always depended on the day. On the weekends it would be busy and your running around. From Monday to Thursday if it wasn't busy the day was spent cleaning.
I didn't serve before Pizza Hut but they taught me a lot. I enjoy serving it is something I would consider doing again. I enjoyed working with customers/
Management was awesome, I really got close to my manager at Pizza Hut. It was like coming into work to a friend.
My co-workers were great to work with. It was like working with family, you had hard times but everyone was always there for you.
The hardest part of my job was probably when it got super busy and you were the only server on. Not only were you seating every table and taking orders, you were trying to run food as well in between so that it all came out on time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was communicating with the customers and getting to know them better. The regulars that would come in would tell you all about their story.
steady work environment, amazing crew of co-workers, awsome hours, fun shifts
Full-time/Key Holder/Trainer (Current Employee), George Street/Parkhill, Peterborough ONTARIOSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: excellent co-workers, amazing shifts, trust
Cons: not in alberta
pizza hut amazes me each day. no matter who i'm working with, it's always a fun shift. wheather i'm alone or with all the highschool students, opening/closing, or training someone knew, i'm always having so much fun. even when we're having a slow day, i'll always find something productive to do. or if it's a huge rush, i'm always making sure my co-workers are doing as okay as myself. we all take the time to get to know one another, and make sure no one brings there home drama to the work environment. although the owners can't hire anymore managers, i'm definitly on the list of most trusted employee. I currently hold a key to the store, train 75% of the new staff, and help out with dough counts and position line-ups each day. I honestly love my job so much, but i originally got it so i could save up and move out west to start my future near the mountains.
Was a rewarding, challenging and learning experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 27, 2014
Pros: learning the operations of pizza hut
Cons: occasionally understaffed
Starting out on my credentials was great.
The starting location: My trainer was very informative, brought me through all the proper operation procedures within 2 weeks.

I learned the art of making great pizza's, pastas and sides.

I opened and closed the restaurant. Delegated the employees, and drivers schedules, maintained the daily quota.

I learned how to properly staff my store for prime times and for down times.

I stayed at the first location for 5 months and enjoyed my time there.

I re-introduced the employee of the month, to help motivate the employees in a positive way.

Helped every station when needed.

I loved this job, I put in my all and everything I had to becoming a better manager for the future. I would gladly work for this company again,

The Company values, policies, and services overall were exceptional.
Productive and fun work place
CSR (Former Employee), Belleville, ONOctober 7, 2014
Pros: awesome discount
Cons: time cramming
A typical day at work is usually fun and productive, were always doing something as a team, we never leave anyone out, everyone is usually involved. What i learned at Pizza Hut would be to speak clear to people, not to be shy around people, learned how to cook pizzas, learned how to answer the phones, i learned how to take orders and delivery's. The management at Pizza Hut is pretty awesome, there caring and they make sure that everything is going well and no one is being miss treated. My co-workers are amazing we all get along really well, we all joke around with each other and we treat each other like family. the hardest part of the job would be that you have so many things to do at once but when you get a hang of it then you will be good, the most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers they always made my day and made we want to come back to work.
Shift Supervisor/Cook (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONNovember 4, 2013
I was a manager here, and it was alright. The place was previously ran by just the employees due to horrible management. I would come in to work and I would have to pick up the slack from the previous closers from the previous nights, and the people that worked there, didnt really care all that much about the customers, they just came to work and immediatley complained about how they did not want to be there etc.

Management was still slacking even after being taken over by a new district manager.
The hardest part of the job was coming in and feeling comfortable. I was made to feel very unwelcome when a previous employer was getting jealous because I came in from another store and started to be their store manager, and she wanted the position because she was working there fior five years already.

The best part of the job was meeting all the customers that came in.
Production Employee (Former Employee), edmonton, ABOctober 20, 2014
A typical day at work, was very busy, I often worked during the weekend and for that reason I had a lot of orders to fill. Although it was a challenge in the beginning, I quickly adapted to the workload and pace and enjoyed and felt much more confident when I completed and had spare time do extra work to help out the employees which worked after my shift or for the following morning. This was my first job experience in Canada, so as you could imagine, there was a lot to learn, including the culture at a workplace. I also was a manager in my pervious jobs (not in Canada) so I learnt to step down and start from fresh again, this was a challenge, but I did not give up and enjoyed working as I moved up quickly. I was not happy with the management because of the lack of respect for employee rights and for that reason that was the biggest challenge for me.
Pizza Hut Review
Senior Cook (Current Employee), London, ONAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Free staff meals, discounts
Cons: Unpredictable levels of workload
A typical day at work is fun and easy going but being understaffed, having under trained or bad employees who cant or will not put the effort into being a productive co-worker drags everyone else down. Personally learned quite a lot in time management, customer service, patience, leadership and management/supervisor decisions.

Love the majority of who I work with and I get along well enough with even those that I don't personally like but keep professional relations with despite the fact. My management is good but poorly handle a lot of the time. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with poor workers and attitude. When everyone gets along and works together the work days goes easy. The easiest part of my job is working with others and talking to customers.
Fun and fast paced work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnJune 2, 2015
Pros: fun fast paced workplace
Cons: management after a while was bad
The work team at Pizza Hut was great, we all got along and would even joke around (when appropriate). I was working in all positions, I would prepare/cook the pizzas, cut and box the orders, hand orders to customers, receive calls and take orders as cashier. It was a fast paced environment but was still fun to be in. I was also part of the closing team and would be out the door around midnight. After awhile though, I had to leave the workplace as my grades weren't doing so well. I would sometimes be working right after school, so my sleep schedule would suffer. The only issue I had is that near the end of my time at Pizza Hut we got a new manager and would not treat us with respect, and the store suffered from this. All of our hours would get cut for almost no reason.
Stressful and sometimes difficult workplace environment.
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 9, 2015
A typical day could be extremely busy or very slow. There's usually only two cooks on at a time which at times was not enough man power to handle so many orders. When things slowed down, cleaning various areas of the store and washing dishes were done. at the end of the night, last minute sweeping, mopping and dishes were done. I learned how to handle food, how to take orders and treat the customer. The GM of the store was unfair at times and cut shifts or mistreated some team members. The co-workers were very nice and hardworking people. The hardest part was dealing with the stress of a busy night and the General Manager. The most enjoyable part was working with very genuine people.
Good place to work, will take a bit of time to adjust to.
Shift Manager, Kitchen & Wait Staff (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Cons: long hours
Pizza Hut is a great place to work as a starting job, with the hardest part of the job being the long hours you have to work if you are on a closing or opening shift. The management is generally pleasant and effective.

A typical shift at pizza involves making sure your station is prepped with enough ingredients for the whole day. After that it is simply complete orders, and ensure everything gets to the customer in a reasonable time. Coordination is an important skill I learned from this job since it is needed to ensure that appetizers are brought out before the main meal in the dine in, and that delivery orders are given their proper priorities.
Interesting Place to work
Call Centre agent (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 4, 2012
Pros: staff and coworkers were fun to work with
Cons: low pay
I worked at the call centre until it moved.The management gave us adequit notice that it was going to close and brougt in a trade fair of companies to help us find new jobs.

I took Pizza and other food orders over the phone. Whenever a new product was introduced we would get free samples so we could let the customers know what it tasted like.

The harest part of the job was dealing with customers when they were drunk and keep changing their minds.The best part of the job was that most of the customers were fun to deal with and if you were polite to them they would be polite to you.
Shift Manager (Current Employee), 392 John streetFebruary 4, 2013
A typical day at work is to count the money that is needed for each shift , go to the bank and deposit last nights check . I have learned a lot about management; its very important to be organized and be very aware to details since this will make managing the store much more efficiently. Co-workers were well organized as well it takes a team effort to run a business especially in the food industry. The hardest part of the job was long shifts since some employees call in sick often and the pay scale wasn't for my liking. Enjoyable part of the job was to have satisfying customers who will come back often and hearing how they appreciate our service.
Great Experience
Temp Receptionist (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONAugust 14, 2015
Pros: Assisted with trade shows and events
Cons: Did not have Microsoft knowledge at the time, was not able to help to my potential.
First Nations Technical Services Corp

I start work early and check the messages from the night before, clean up what I can and take the mail, phone messages and send them off to the appropriate office.

The Receptionist is a key part to a well functioning office.

Management was great and cared a lot about his employees and business partners.

Co-Workers were kind and easy to get along with.

Finding work to do on the down time.

Working in a professional setting was refreshing and a nice change of environment.
an ok place to work if you don't mind being moved around
Assistant Manager/General Manager (Current Employee), winnipeg mbMarch 20, 2015
Pros: managers were offered free meals on breaks
Cons: required to work 40 hours per week (contract) but often ended up being more
As an Assistant Manager/General Manager, I am responsible for the overall operation of the restaurant, weekly paper work, schedules, managing labor, food cost, budgets, sales projections, meet sales targets, directed my staff on the requirements of their jobs what is expected of them etc.
The hardest part of my job is training staff, and dealing with the stupid stuff that happened when i was not there.
I do enjoy working with the people.
Headquarters