Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.

Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. Employee Review

View all Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. reviews

Difficult minimum wage job with little job security; but friendly co-workers.
Corn Detassler (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON7 July 2013
The work day starts at 6 am and can last till 5 pm. This can cause some personal issues; especially when the weather becomes very hot, which is most of the season. I worked specifically for a corn detassling crew.

The management of that crew was unsatisfactory. There were many times, especially of late, where they made unfulfilled promises and put my life at risk. Once, we were in a thunderstorm which kept leaving and returning. In fear of their lives, many crew members wanted to go home. These members were fired because they didnt want to be shocked by lightning. In this, I found that the management seemed to care more about the job being completed than the safety of its' workers.

The pay was minimum wage and the only way to advance in pay was to join clean up crew; which gave a couple more dollars an hour. The job was very demanding either way. If you didn't put your full effort and energy in doing a quick and efficent job, you were most likely to lose your job within a week. I found myself to be extremely exhausted at the end of a work day and several crew members agreed with me.

My co-workers were friendly however. We were able to relate to each other and understood the pressure on each of us. This did give us more encouragement to help each other out and work to the best of our ability to get the job done.

From all of this I learned how to push myself beyond my own limits, working even when exhausted. I also learned to work with others, aiding them in their time of need so they would later do the same for me.

Pros
Friendly Co-Workers
Cons
Long Hours, Minimum Wage, Corrupted Management

Other Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. Employee Reviews

I worked in corn fields and they made sure crews were safe
Corn Detasseling (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON23 January 2018
I worked as a corn detassiler for 7 years and for the first 4 or 5 years I was technically employed by pioneer but they had people come out every day to make sure that everyone on the crew was being safe and that the contractors were treating us fairly, we had to were these pretty nice orange hats with a bee keeper mesh. During one of the bad years they even paid everyone an extra dollar an hour in the really bad fields.
Pros
very safe, nice hats
Cons
working outside in any weather except lightning
Fun fast paced working environment
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON23 October 2017
Working at Pioneer could be stressful at times but I enjoy the fast pace environment due to keep myself busy and always being on my toe. The customers were always very friendly and not very often did i have to deal with someone who had an opinion about something

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. Reviews by Location