Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.

Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Enjoyable and productive workplace
Corn Detasseler (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON5 March 2015
I personally enjoyed this work placement. A typical day at work was surrounded with friendly co workers, all willing to complete the right task in a timely manner and efficiently. The management treated the employees fairly and appropriately, considering the work environment. I learned the important skills needed for a workplace such as working well as a team, working hard and efficiently and being punctual. The hardest part of the job was long hours but the earnings were well worth it.
Pros
Salary
Fun and friendly
Agricultural worker (Former Employee) –  Coteau-du-lac, QC27 April 2016
As an agricultural worker, we were well furnished in tools and materials, and well taken care of. We had plenty of water to drink during the warm days in the field, and had free popsicles during our breaks.

The ambiance was very friendly and the supervisors guided us through the day.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Need energy to walk all day
Alright
Gas Station Attdendant (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ON25 February 2015
Alright Job, Alright Work, Horrible People, Horrible Customers, No Money, No Benefits
Just Over All Terrible Place To Be Everyday
Loved everything about the job.
Manager (Former Employee) –  South Mountain, ON13 November 2015
A typical day at work was opening up the business, and getting the coffee ready for the customers. Staff would come in to work there shift. I would place orders, and interact with the public. After orders were placed I would go to my office and start doing paper work and calling orders in. Assigning tasks for the next shift. Every day was a new day. I never did the same thing and always interacted with different clients and customers.
Pros
Wokring there for over 20 years
Cons
When my boss sold the business
Did not like co.
Pipeline Labourer (Former Employee) –  hope bc11 January 2016
i have no comment on this company i would not recommend anyone to apply because how things were handled work safe ethics.
Pros
Cons
everything
I was very productive and pulled out the tastles off the top of corn stocks.
Corn Detastling (Former Employee) –  Chatham Kent14 January 2013
Every day from Monday-Saturday in my Summer break from school I would wake up early, catch a bus in Sarnia, to a field in Chatham and work in mud, spider webs, rain and in corn fields. I learned that corn pollinates into other corn stocks that don't have a tastle and makes corn bigger and juicier. Over all, I enjoyed that job, I didn't mind working in the mud and rain. I made it every day and achieved the big bonus of 75 cents on every hour worked worked bonus.
Pros
i got to work hard, be outside and listen to music
Cons
only lasted one month
Job details
Temporary Agricultural Worker (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON30 August 2013
- I worked long hours, rain or shine, hot or cold 7 days a week. It was a good way to gain experience being on my feet for long periods of time and getting used to waking up early every day.

- I worked a lot with large umber's of people and enjoyed it. My manager's were always helpful and kind and did their best to keep up with every workers requests and problems.

The hardest part was knowing it was only seasonal, My favorite part was working with everyone, training new people and keeping fit and motivated.
Difficult minimum wage job with little job security; but friendly co-workers.
Corn Detassler (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON7 July 2013
The work day starts at 6 am and can last till 5 pm. This can cause some personal issues; especially when the weather becomes very hot, which is most of the season. I worked specifically for a corn detassling crew.

The management of that crew was unsatisfactory. There were many times, especially of late, where they made unfulfilled promises and put my life at risk. Once, we were in a thunderstorm which kept leaving and returning. In fear of their lives, many crew members wanted to go home. These members were fired because they didnt want to be shocked by lightning. In this, I found that the management seemed to care more about the job being completed than the safety of its' workers.

The pay was minimum wage and the only way to advance in pay was to join clean up crew; which gave a couple more dollars an hour. The job was very demanding either way. If you didn't put your full effort and energy in doing a quick and efficent job, you were most likely to lose your job within a week. I found myself to be extremely exhausted at the end of a work day and several crew members agreed with me.

My co-workers were friendly however. We were able to relate to each other and understood the pressure on each of us. This did give us more encouragement to help each other out and work to the best of our ability to get the job done.

From all of this I learned how to push myself beyond my own limits, working even when exhausted. I also learned to work with others, aiding them in their time of need so they would later do the same for me.

Pros
Friendly Co-Workers
Cons
Long Hours, Minimum Wage, Corrupted Management
hard work
snow plow drivier (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON13 December 2014
i must amit that the hours in the winter time seams long with snow storms going on and you making sure that the highways and roads are cleared but it may seam lonely at time but everyone is there when you need them for help I would not have past the chance to try this job. it give me an understanding of when every other snow blow worker has to put up with .
you would check out your truck to make sure every last thing on it works ..you have a log book to keep track your safety checks gas used sand ..and salt you learn how to use the tracker loader to put your sand/salt into your truck . you mind and eyes are always going and looking for things on the road of in the ditch
Summer job but only seasonal
Corn Detasseling (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ON13 July 2013
I do like the corn field, you get 4-8 hours a day. But you never know what to expect. Sometimes the mornings are wet from the dew and cooler, some times they are dry and hot. There are plenty of insects, mud and dirt. We work rain or shine. The hardest part of the job is always hot and humid, We are expected to wear long sleeve shirts and pants. In the morning you are usually wet from the dew. The most enjoyable part is making friends, getting money and sometimes having fun while doing your hard job.
I learned I can do anything I can put my mind to, I learned not to quit or give up.
Pros
Two 15 min brakes paid, New friends.
Cons
Hot, humid and wet.
NOT IN MY FIELD
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 October 2014
ROUTINE WAS OK,Starts with tally the money and check reports, learned excellent customer service and the management was really supportive.Co-workers are really helpful.The hardest part was to do inventory and ordering,each week was different,,and the most enjoyable was networking through customers
I very like to work there
Sorting (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON12 February 2013
The people are very friendly they work together. You learn as you go and I get along with the management and co-workers. The hardest part of the job some days was hard on your back and cold. The most enjoyable part of the job everyone work as a team.
Pros
sometime you will get free lunch
Cons
long hour and overtime was ok with me
Providing customers with fuel energy, snacks, other survices
Propane Attendant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON4 May 2015
Satisfactory working environment, working to sell gasoline, diesel and propane, tobacco products, lottery, and snacks to customers. Learned to manage a gasoline station. Stressful and demanding at times. Talking to customers is an enjoying.
Corn Detassling
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON14 July 2014
Have to stand/ walk repetitively for long hours in the early morning dew and the humid hot air in the afternoons.
Cons
Very hot; standing on your feet for long hours.
Pleasant place to work
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Ridgetown, ON19 May 2013
- pleasant coworkers
- well maintained workplace
- management was easily approachable
- allowed for a change of scenery throughout the work season
Pros
Friendly environment and kept me physically active
Cons
Seasonal
very nice crew leaders
Corn detasseling (Former Employee) –  Chatham, ON1 April 2015
harsh conditions but worth the money, easy job overall. nice bus drivers and crew members. team work effort. understanding when exhausted/have corn rash. able to clock out when needed.
Pros
easy summer job
Cons
corn rash / cuts / bugs
terrible job
Gas station attendant (Former Employee) –  barrie on10 February 2014
Typical day consists of:
- cleaning inside/outside of store
- taking garbage out
- dealing with customers

management:
- boss was constantly late or didn't show up
Good
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON29 April 2015
good company to work for well maintained and managed.
great experience and great people
great employees its like working with family
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 September 2014
fun workplace
easy to get along with others
understanding management
Pros
flexible shifts
loved working in the fitting room area
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, On27 July 2013
This job was a lot of fun, kept me on my feet. Ive learnt so much about keeping environment really clean and .organized. I learn so much about cash register tills and how to deal with money.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
not enough hours

Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. Reviews by Location