Eenchokay Birchstick School
Onsite Full Time Counselor
Under the direction of the School Principal the Student Success Team:
1.counsels students on social circumstances, substance abuse, behavioural, psychological and emotional issues
2.develops and uses effective therapeutic intervention, prevention and support strategies in both individual and group settings
3.documents student contacts and maintain monthly statistics
4. works with the student and student success team and parents to improve attendance, student engagement and achievement
5.liaisons with community agencies and support services to enhance support for individual students as well as the student body.
- Bachelor or Graduate level degree in Counseling or Social Work.
- Extensive experience with youth and “high risk” and “at risk” youth.
- Experience and training in crisis and grief counselling.
- Experience in teaching counselling and staff development in respect to youth programs, intervention and support programs.
Two or more years.
Major Job Duties:
- Counsel students on social, academic, personal, emotional and substance abuse issues
- Ensure that confidentiality is maintained and that each student understands the limits of confidentiality
- One to one or group counselling
- Crisis counselling, providing support and counselling to students after any trauma, identifying the group of students most affected by the trauma and ensuring that additional supports are in place
- Anger Management
- Assessing students that may be “at risk/high risk” of self harm or harm to others, ensuring that safety supports are in place and, if need be, that necessary authorities or individuals have been notified and appropriate action is taken to ensure the safety of the student
- Complete assessments to assist in the development of treatment plans and personal goals
- Provide resources and information on any variety of topics
- Communicate student progress and student needs, on an as needed basis, to necessary teachers and parents when given permission from student
- Counsel students who are chronically absent or skipping
- Attend meeting of students, parents and the school concerning behaviour in the school
2.Documentation of Student Contact and Statistic Reporting
- Maintain case notes detailing each contact with a student (information disclosed, goal setting, treatment plans, etc) within 24 hours of contact. See Student Contact Casenote template.
- Develop an individual file for each student who is seen. Secure all confidential material
3.Being part of the Student Success Team
- Work closely with the student success teacher, guidance counsellor, principal and teachers to identify problem areas and to develop supports to enhance student success
- Interact with classroom teachers to form meaningful partnerships in supporting students
Liaison with Community Support Services
- Pikangikum Health unit – Sexual Health Clinic once a week at School
- Assist students in booking appointments with other agencies in the community; example: medical issues, substance abuse assessment, legal or additional counselling and support services
- Assisting and supporting community agencies in their awareness and prevention initiatives
As specified by the principal or board
Principal: Eenchokay Birchstick School
Canada P0V 2L0
Indeed - 14 months ago