Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun product to work with
Sales Lead Manager (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 12, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: low pay, high turnover
Fun products and great discount available. Be prepared to work holidays and weekends. Lots of lifting and climbing required. Great way to lose weight!
Refined home goods. friendly place
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Merrillville, INMay 12, 2014
Pros: always learning something new
Cons: hourly pay to low, not enough advancement opportunity
The work day at Pier was fill with excitement. Working and multi- tasking . Learning about new interior and exterior designs. Always helping customers bring their vision to life. The hardest thing was working with those who really dd'int know what they wanted. The thing best was the satisfaction of know that the were happy with their experience overall.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Decatur, ALMay 12, 2014
Pier 1 is a fun and inviting store to work in. My co-workers are pleasant to work with and we all work as a group. It's all about team work! On a typical day I work with the customers in some of the decision making for purchases when they are redecorating their homes. Customer service is very important and making sure the customer is satisfied with – more... the purchase. At all times we want to make sure the customer is happy and enjoys their shopping experience. – less
Great learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 9, 2014
This was my first retail job so I definitely learned a lot while working here. My basic knowledge of customer service started here and I still go back to those basics today. This was the first place I ever had to deal with unhappy customers and so I learned how to accommodate to everybody's needs.
sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee), South Elgin, ILMay 9, 2014
sales, cash handling stock, customer service, building for events, tagging items, etc.
Co-Workers make it awesome
Sales Lead (Current Employee), Corona/Riverside, CAMay 8, 2014
Pros: quarterly meetings to see what was new and what was coming up, quarterly payouts for good sale months shared among all employees, and the nicer customers.
Cons: lack of training, obvious favoritism witnessed, no benefits, hours, working holidays.
A typical day at work would include opening the store, turning off alarm, turning on lights and running deposit to the bank & getting change if needed. Getting back to store, run numbers for the day and figure out what goals need to be improved upon and where we are doing well, printing out daily schedule, opening door for my morning crew, straightening – more... up if needed before opening store and conveying store numbers and goals to employees, as well as any on-going or new promos. Throughout the day, greeting customers and finding out their needs, assisting newer employees with any questions or resolving any customer-related issues, replacing inventory as it sells, taking phone calls, filling online orders, contacting customers when orders arrive, putting out newly received inventory according to planners, telling customers about promos, cleaning and straightening and making sure there is enough floor coverage, helping customers pick up deliveries from stockroom, receipt paper replenished, and that all computer equipment/lights/toilets/etc. are in working order and corrected ASAP. Closing details would include locking doors upon closing, closing email to opening mgr relating days happenings, reconciling tills and preparing deposit to place in safe. Making sure the store closes cleanly, with the store being stocked, and all items put away, holds replaced, bathrooms cleaned and stocked, floor swept, bags replenished, supplies ordered, damaged items documented and closing balance documented.
I learned that I enjoy a team atmosphere vs. a commission-based, that I enjoy helping customers decorated their homes, my co-workers were awesome and that management was pretty supportive.
The hardest part of the job was doing alot of my duties with minimal training and I was sort of "thrown into the fire". When upper management learned of my lack of training, they wanted to correct it, but it was a little late when I finally did receive it.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with customers who really valued my opinion and who I would really connect with as well as the awesome co-workers that I got to work with. – less
Good place to wok
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Valdosta, GAMay 8, 2014
Like working for the company. Management is good to work for. Like the people that I work with.
No management at all
Material handler (Former Employee), Ontario DCMay 7, 2014
Pros: some cool people work there
Cons: where do i start? horrible management, no training, high expectations, it's all about speed but dangerous, accidents every day, no supervision so people cut corners that hurt the employees doing it right, high turnover at nearly every position, every other day mariachi is blasted through the warehouse all day long.
This place is the most disorganized, dangerous, amateurish place there is to work. Seriously run!! You get started by training for one day then they begin harassing about pick rates and stuff. By my second day I was training another new associate. MY SECOND DAY! There is basically a vacuum at the management positions with the exception of one person – more... who does his job well. They use a point system designed to fire you. There are two machines you can punch in to and unless you fight your way to the front of the line you will be a couple minutes late just because of the line.. Bam! points.. 30 minute lunches so no time to get food if you don't bring a lunch.. Managers sit in the office all day and offer zero support..(again with the exception of one man). On the floor, the tier racks they use are extremely sketchy.. They teeter on top of eachother and the shady practices people do to keep their pick rates up means that you have to bring down full racks that are stacked 4 high on top of empty racks. There is no accountability so you might as well do it wrong too.. If you try doing it the right way you will be singled out for being slower than everyone else. Oh and if you drop a rack (which everyone does, some people all 4) you go straight in for drug tests and are treated like a criminal until the results come back.(never happened to me luckily, but saw it many times in a few short months). The bonus is unless the wrong person saw you do it, they'll never know it was you, if you just sneak off when it happens. I guess a perk to the lazy managers never leaving their comfy offices. – less
Great training and development of store teams.
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 6, 2014
Pros: great culture, and
Cons: na
Rewarding and definitely a great company to work for. All about the people and maintaining the culture experience.
Taught me how to treat customers well
Sales associate (Former Employee), El Paso TexasMay 5, 2014
Pros: amazing co-workers amazing management
Cons: short breaks
I would usually work a four hour shift, I learned how to deal with clients and how to meet there needs. Affirmed that they were powerful people and that they could make decisions but offered my advice. The management team was top notch, they made sure that everyone had something to do. The hardest part of the job was when the store was "dead" there – more... wasn't much to do but since we were getting payed even when it was dead we had to find something to do like: cleaning, and rearranging products. I love people, I find them completely fascinating, all of us have a story and they let you know their needs and how you can help to fulfill them. – less
Mistreated
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Santa Rosa, CAMay 2, 2014
Pros: merchandise
Cons: overall company dynamic
Hard to explain but they defiantly do not know how to treat employees
Great people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbia, SCApril 30, 2014
Loved working for this company. Hours were manageable and the management actually cared about their employees. The only con was a shortage of hours and unlikelihood of promotion.
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee), North CarolinaApril 28, 2014
Great retailer with lots of growth opportunity

Great culture and overall professional environment compared to a lot of retailers
Productive and steady work environment
Material Handler (Current Employee), Aberdeen, MDApril 26, 2014
I've learned how to operate a forklift, my co-workers are excellent to work with and great to get along with, a typical day at work is usually pretty steady and laid back, the hardest part of the job is unloading trailers with heavy merchandise.
Experienced IT Professional
Store Technology System Analyst (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TexasApril 25, 2014
Pros: experienced professional
Manage in-house computer software systems and network. connections to ensure high levels of availability and security of the supported business application.
2 years software testing, utilizing tools for test planning, development, execution, and reporting.

Team-Leader -Customer Support, LAN/WAN Helpdesk Tier II.
Productive and fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Yuma, AZApril 23, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: short breaks and health care
: A typical day at work was unpacking merchandise, putting up displays, helping customers decorate their homes.
: I learned to be more creative with d├ęcor
: Hardest part of the job was not being able to afford all the nice stuff the company had.
: Most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers decorate their homes
Love my Job
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), CaliforniaApril 23, 2014
Pros: rapid advancement, lots of perks and great people.
Cons: people get transferred very often and i know people that drive over 50 miles to work everyday, raises are very small.
The company is great, their compass is fantastic and for the most part, everyone in the company is amazing, The moral is upbeat, we are based on motivating and inspiring and the product is so fun!

Con is that people get transferred very often. I know people that drive over 50 miles to work everyday.
Didnt really enjoy it
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ridgeland, MSApril 22, 2014
Pros: if you really need some change in your pocket then sure
Cons: everything else
Typical day at work was being assigned to a area and having to sit there. Learned that I did not want to work in retail anymore. Management was ok. Of course there were things that I didnt like but I just smiled and continued on. My co workers were the only thing that didnt stop me quiting the week after. Hardest part was dealing with too many women – more... in one place, things tend to become very catty. As I said my co workers were the only thing I enjoyed. – less
Typical Retail Sales Business
Store Team Leader (Former Employee), Edgewater, NJApril 20, 2014
This business is your averaged retail store that sells shelf goods that sell them selves.

What I've learned, that I continue to support this theory, customer service is vital aspect of the any businesses growth and development. Without the attention to details the cost will always affect your bottom line.

Management. There is a lot to be said about – more... leadership. Any business that lacks support and vision will endure pitfalls of the business growth potential.

Coworkers. People reflect environments.

The hardest part of the job, instilling positive direction and maintaining a positive focus for others.

Enjoyable, I enjoyed meeting and working with everyone. I looked forward to challenging sales associates to reach their potentials by exceeding their goals and meeting them with realistic expectations. – less
Pier 1 day
SALES ASSOCIATE-PART TIME (Current Employee), Denville, NJApril 18, 2014
When i go into work, i go and get on my apron on and clock in. I am always greeted by my fellow associates. When i get out onto the sales floor i am checked in with how we are doing, current sales, and current promotions. From there on it is my job to make sure every customer has the "Pier 1 exPIERence". I have to greet, make sure they are finding everything – more... okay, and if i can assist them with anything. I am very knowledgeable about our products so i do my best to make sure they know everything about the product they are buying whether its a candle or a couch. At the register its my job to inform them about our Pier 1 card and all its benefits to help them get the best deal and after i always encourage all customers to come back soon! – less

About Pier 1 Imports

We believe we have something special going on here at Pier 1 Imports. Our culture is about our attitude toward business, how we – Read more