Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Great Working Enviornment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 29, 2014
I was able to learn about the different types of furniture and how excellent customer service skills are essential to retail. I learned how to process orders and how order stock and inventory.
Fun place to work while in school
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMay 22, 2014
Great place to work while trying other things. As a second job or as a job while in school. No one cares about doing much, just tons of fun if you don't take pride in what you do.
Cashier
Sales associate for any customer's needs (Former Employee), denver coMay 22, 2014
All depends on the management for each store but most of them are pretty cool people. loved working 2 years for pier 1
Great Experience
Seasonal Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), 3000 East Philadelphia Ontario, CA. 91762May 22, 2014
Pros: everything!
Cons: seasonal
This position was seasonal. But overall the co-workers were great an very helpful.
great place
Shift Leader / Customer Service (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 22, 2014
Great place to work - just need more hours. You learn about products and how to manage your time right. It is a great and fun place to work and you meet a lot of great people.
Good part-time job
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee), Asheville, NCMay 19, 2014
Great benefits and flexibility. Room to advance however pay is low.
Good pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brunswick, GAMay 18, 2014
Pros: lunch break
Cons: no help when needed
A day at work with Pier 1 imports is different. You can get hired as one thing and then they have you do something completely different. I was hired as a sales associate and in turn when I started working there I was put in the stock room alone. I did not mind working in stock except for the fact that I was having to unpack and move items that said – more... they required a team to lift them successfully. I did get trained to be a sales associate but never got put on the sales floor. The management was alright the assistant managers were great though and they helped if they saw something that required more than one person to handle it. The hardest part of that job was the strain on my back from having to carry such heavy items and sometimes having to carry those heavy items up a ladder and put on a top self, all without help. The most enjoyable part would of had to of been my co-workers because when they went back into the break room and saw I was having issues with something they would help even though they were told not to. – less
Fun, inspiring, and beautiful work environment
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Saratoga Springs,NY / Enfield, CT/ Raleigh, NCMay 15, 2014
Pros: gorgeous merchandise, appropriately priced, new customers, frequent customers
Cons: schedule, job advancement after reaching the store manager position
At Pier 1 Imports, my day was never dull. Whether there were 50 customers in the store or just one---there was always something to do to keep busy. The number one focus was sales and customer satisfaction. Opening credit accounts, building beautiful displays, processing the stock, and helping people create a space of their own was just some of the fun – more... I had at Pier 1.
The most difficult part of the job was balancing the day out. How would we accomplish processing all the freight before the night was over AND help customers, as well as make sure we hit our daily goal?
The most enjoyable aspect was meeting new people every single day and putting a smile on their faces. – less
Fun product to work with
Sales Lead Manager (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 12, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: low pay, high turnover
Fun products and great discount available. Be prepared to work holidays and weekends. Lots of lifting and climbing required. Great way to lose weight!
Refined home goods. friendly place
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Merrillville, INMay 12, 2014
Pros: always learning something new
Cons: hourly pay to low, not enough advancement opportunity
The work day at Pier was fill with excitement. Working and multi- tasking . Learning about new interior and exterior designs. Always helping customers bring their vision to life. The hardest thing was working with those who really dd'int know what they wanted. The thing best was the satisfaction of know that the were happy with their experience overall.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Decatur, ALMay 12, 2014
Pier 1 is a fun and inviting store to work in. My co-workers are pleasant to work with and we all work as a group. It's all about team work! On a typical day I work with the customers in some of the decision making for purchases when they are redecorating their homes. Customer service is very important and making sure the customer is satisfied with – more... the purchase. At all times we want to make sure the customer is happy and enjoys their shopping experience. – less
Great learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 9, 2014
This was my first retail job so I definitely learned a lot while working here. My basic knowledge of customer service started here and I still go back to those basics today. This was the first place I ever had to deal with unhappy customers and so I learned how to accommodate to everybody's needs.
sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee), South Elgin, ILMay 9, 2014
sales, cash handling stock, customer service, building for events, tagging items, etc.
Co-Workers make it awesome
Sales Lead (Current Employee), Corona/Riverside, CAMay 8, 2014
Pros: quarterly meetings to see what was new and what was coming up, quarterly payouts for good sale months shared among all employees, and the nicer customers.
Cons: lack of training, obvious favoritism witnessed, no benefits, hours, working holidays.
A typical day at work would include opening the store, turning off alarm, turning on lights and running deposit to the bank & getting change if needed. Getting back to store, run numbers for the day and figure out what goals need to be improved upon and where we are doing well, printing out daily schedule, opening door for my morning crew, straightening – more... up if needed before opening store and conveying store numbers and goals to employees, as well as any on-going or new promos. Throughout the day, greeting customers and finding out their needs, assisting newer employees with any questions or resolving any customer-related issues, replacing inventory as it sells, taking phone calls, filling online orders, contacting customers when orders arrive, putting out newly received inventory according to planners, telling customers about promos, cleaning and straightening and making sure there is enough floor coverage, helping customers pick up deliveries from stockroom, receipt paper replenished, and that all computer equipment/lights/toilets/etc. are in working order and corrected ASAP. Closing details would include locking doors upon closing, closing email to opening mgr relating days happenings, reconciling tills and preparing deposit to place in safe. Making sure the store closes cleanly, with the store being stocked, and all items put away, holds replaced, bathrooms cleaned and stocked, floor swept, bags replenished, supplies ordered, damaged items documented and closing balance documented.
I learned that I enjoy a team atmosphere vs. a commission-based, that I enjoy helping customers decorated their homes, my co-workers were awesome and that management was pretty supportive.
The hardest part of the job was doing alot of my duties with minimal training and I was sort of "thrown into the fire". When upper management learned of my lack of training, they wanted to correct it, but it was a little late when I finally did receive it.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with customers who really valued my opinion and who I would really connect with as well as the awesome co-workers that I got to work with. – less
Good place to wok
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Valdosta, GAMay 8, 2014
Like working for the company. Management is good to work for. Like the people that I work with.
No management at all
Material handler (Former Employee), Ontario DCMay 7, 2014
Pros: some cool people work there
Cons: where do i start? horrible management, no training, high expectations, it's all about speed but dangerous, accidents every day, no supervision so people cut corners that hurt the employees doing it right, high turnover at nearly every position, every other day mariachi is blasted through the warehouse all day long.
This place is the most disorganized, dangerous, amateurish place there is to work. Seriously run!! You get started by training for one day then they begin harassing about pick rates and stuff. By my second day I was training another new associate. MY SECOND DAY! There is basically a vacuum at the management positions with the exception of one person – more... who does his job well. They use a point system designed to fire you. There are two machines you can punch in to and unless you fight your way to the front of the line you will be a couple minutes late just because of the line.. Bam! points.. 30 minute lunches so no time to get food if you don't bring a lunch.. Managers sit in the office all day and offer zero support..(again with the exception of one man). On the floor, the tier racks they use are extremely sketchy.. They teeter on top of eachother and the shady practices people do to keep their pick rates up means that you have to bring down full racks that are stacked 4 high on top of empty racks. There is no accountability so you might as well do it wrong too.. If you try doing it the right way you will be singled out for being slower than everyone else. Oh and if you drop a rack (which everyone does, some people all 4) you go straight in for drug tests and are treated like a criminal until the results come back.(never happened to me luckily, but saw it many times in a few short months). The bonus is unless the wrong person saw you do it, they'll never know it was you, if you just sneak off when it happens. I guess a perk to the lazy managers never leaving their comfy offices. – less
Great training and development of store teams.
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 6, 2014
Pros: great culture, and
Cons: na
Rewarding and definitely a great company to work for. All about the people and maintaining the culture experience.
Taught me how to treat customers well
Sales associate (Former Employee), El Paso TexasMay 5, 2014
Pros: amazing co-workers amazing management
Cons: short breaks
I would usually work a four hour shift, I learned how to deal with clients and how to meet there needs. Affirmed that they were powerful people and that they could make decisions but offered my advice. The management team was top notch, they made sure that everyone had something to do. The hardest part of the job was when the store was "dead" there – more... wasn't much to do but since we were getting payed even when it was dead we had to find something to do like: cleaning, and rearranging products. I love people, I find them completely fascinating, all of us have a story and they let you know their needs and how you can help to fulfill them. – less
Mistreated
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Santa Rosa, CAMay 2, 2014
Pros: merchandise
Cons: overall company dynamic
Hard to explain but they defiantly do not know how to treat employees
Great people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbia, SCApril 30, 2014
Loved working for this company. Hours were manageable and the management actually cared about their employees. The only con was a shortage of hours and unlikelihood of promotion.

About Pier 1 Imports

We believe we have something special going on here at Pier 1 Imports. Our culture is about our attitude toward business, how we – Read more