Pier 1 Imports Employee Reviews

Would not recommend
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 September 2015
Everything about how we have to interact with the customers is so fake. Meetings involve watching videos of people at the top of the ladder lie about how exciting everything is and it looks like their smiles are about to fall off their faces. Every day I come home absolutely exhausted from pretending to be happy and bursting with energy for 8 hours. Only get one 30 min break for entire shift so I hope you like standing in place for many hours. If it's a shipment day then you'll be lifting boxes and organizing them for 2 hours, followed by unboxing and labelling for the rest of your shift (this sometimes carries over to the next day).
If it's a busy day then it doesn't phase you much because you always have something to do, but if it's a slow day then you still have to be standing even when you've organized everything 3 times over and you're not even allowed to lean on the counter because it's considered unprofessional.
Very high-stress job because there is so much pressure to make goal every day/week/month and if you don't make sale or conversion goal then your manager will harp on everyone the next day, even if it was completely out of our control.

Only good part of the job is that everyone you work with is in the same boat so there is a sense of comradery amongst the associates. Also easy to take time off and change your availability.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Monotonous labor, hours of standing time, stressful.
awesome environment, strenuous wrok.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 September 2015
Opening the store, coaching the team in the morning. Explaining sale goals for the day. Assigning task. Managing the store. Helping with customer issues.

Learning how to delegate and have a balanced work load.
Strong company guidelines to follow.

The physical labor was the hardest part, placing furniture. Lifting 50lbs or more. Unloading truck.

The team was great and had a positive influence on the store.
Pros
great products and people
Cons
physical labor and long hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville27 August 2015
I love working with my coworkers and management, we are somewhat of a family. For the most part, customers are wonderful as well. Some tasks are repetitive, but there is always a new lesson or piece of information to be learned.
Extremely positive in regards to co-workers
Sales floor specialist (Former Employee) –  London30 July 2015
Fantastic environment to work in, with wonderful people. There was a switch up in management which made some things tough, but overall a pleasant experience.
really low wages with little to no raises
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB9 July 2015
I do not mind this job, i just really do not enjoy getting paid minimum wage and the fact that only management gets benefits.
Cons
Low wages
Fun place to work at
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON3 June 2015
If you love to décor house then Pier1 Imports is the place, where you can help customers to help their ordinary house turn into amazing place. Pier1 imports carry very unique and good quality product.
Love to work in the team workplace.
Pros
Flexiable hours, shorter shifts
Cons
unpredictable hours, no break time in 5 hours shift
Pier 1 Imports was a wonderful company to work for and I do look forward to future employment opportunities
held as a Sales Associate in Global imports (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 April 2015
The aspect of Customer Service care and product knowledge was always encouraged through monthly team meetings. Training for new computer and inventory systems were available and co-workers, as well as management was always very helpful.
Pros
Encouraging workplace atmosphere
Customer Experience
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, Ontario15 April 2015
A typical day at work involved assisting customers needs and providing a solution to their relevant problem.
While at this job, I acquired the important skill of listening to customers needs, working in fast paced environment, and informing the customer about current promotions.
I also provided an efficient and friendly checkout for customers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Little to no hours
Fun place to work with excellent products
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2015
I enjoyed the work atmosphere, but found the culture very restrictive. There was no room for innovation since all policies were determined by a remote head office, with little regard for the differences between US and Canadian culture.
The products were excellent and easy to sell, except when pricing was significantly different from US prices published on-line.
There was a fair amount of sell-determination, particularly with regard to how long we spent with a customer, but rules regarding greeting and questioning customers on their needs, asking for e-mail addresses etc. were a bit onerous.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, congenial employees
Cons
No room to employ imagination, strong corporate influence on style.
Fun and enthusiastic
Sales Associate / Cashier / Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 November 2014
Everyone was a pleasure to work with. The manager at that time was very willing to work with my hours of availability. Very hands on opportunity to be up and moving with other employees and customers, sharing insight and everyone helped each other. Great Team environment.
Glittery fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 November 2014
I enjoy the store and people here
4 hour shifts
Very friendly management
Co-workers are all nice people
Fragrance department is a bit stifling
dull boring and micro managed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  toronto5 August 2014
my head manager was great but everyone else was basically just trying to force you in to the jobs they didnt wanna do
Pros
Cons
men are considered to be moving people essentially
Always changing products, fun place to work.
Shipper receiver and CSR (Current Employee) –  London, ON21 July 2014
A typical day of work would be unloading the truck with new merchandise, receiving product up to and including proper pricing and then out onto the floor. I have and continue to learn a great deal about the various products as they come in which ofcourse makes it easier to sell if you know the items inside out. My co-workers are a blast and we all work together as a team. The hardest part of my job is when my shift ends and I have to go home. The most enjoyable part of my job is just being a part of the Company.
Pros
The ladies I work with always bring in baked goods.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Wonderful people and important skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BC24 May 2014
Learned about merchandising and customer service and sales. Learned how to take instruction and work by oneself after being asked to do a task. Interacting with customers was something that everyone did at the workplace, allowed for growth with verbal communication skills.
Great work environment and great management
Seasonal Cashier and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 May 2014
At Pier 1 Imports I had my first real introduction to cashier skills. The management was very kind and easy to work with. They took the time to teach all necessary skills. The work environment was great, all co-workers worked together in a efficient team. Overall a great place to work
fun place to work, no job security
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 April 2014
A typical day at work involves prepping the store for opening, and greeting our customers upon their entering the store.
Helping them find great pieces to enhance their home is the objective!
Great staff, goal oriented, fun environment.
Pros
great staff, working around your available hours
Cons
no job security
Productive and a fun place to work at!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC3 April 2014
They give you lots of product knowledge, They teach you how to build things. We do role play to practice how to deal with customers.
The Management is amazing and personable and the team that she hires are very competent and enjoyable to work with.
Pros
bonuses through out the year
Cons
not enough hours and no 15 min breaks if you work 5 hours straight
vibrant and busy work environment
ASSISTANT MANAGER/SALES LEADER (Former Employee) –  Leader, LANGFORD VICTORIA BC10 March 2014
I loved my job and the product in this busy and vibrant store]]

Every day was new and exciting and helping the customers create new ideas for their homes
productive buisness, could use more shifts.
Sales Associate/ cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON17 February 2014
A typical day on the floor: Selling and promoting sales and events, helping customers and team members or managers with tasks when needed, working on cash.

A typical day on the truck: Unpacking items, repricing items, stocking items onto trolley for distribution to store shelves.

Management: Nice individuals, assigns positions and zones in the store, explains what needs to be accomplished and goals for the day.

Co workers: Easy going, nice people.

Hardest part of the job: Not busy enough

Most enjoyable: Busy days with lots to do.
Pros
Short shifts nice people, easy work to do, good environment to work in.
Cons
Not busy some days, can be slow. Sometimes too many people working, not enough work to do.
Enjoyable to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 January 2014
Overall I enjoy working for this company. Great environment.