Pier 1 Imports Employee Reviews

Good productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, Ontario27 May 2012
Varied customer base.

I learned how to deal with various types of people and how to do fast transactions in my head.

The management were friendly and helpful.

Hardest part of the job was probably moving some of the massive items of stock.

The most enjoyable part was sealing a massive sale.
Pros
good discount
Cons
Productive and fun place to work at.
Sales Representative/Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  woodbridge,ont22 September 2015
receiving store merchandise
put away store merchandise
awesome staff and management to work with
most enjoyable part of the job is doing store merchandise display
Really fun and rewarding job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC15 July 2013
Pier one is a wonderful place to work. Everyone I work with feel like my second family and they make coming to work enjoyable. There is always something to do and that makes the shifts pass by quickly. The management are there to help and are always willing to. The hardest part is when displays need to be done. There is a guideline to follow but sometimes we don't have the product. It always turns out okay though, because we make it happen! The easiest part is coming to work and being there. The atmosphere that has been created is welcoming and fun.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville27 August 2015
I love working with my coworkers and management, we are somewhat of a family. For the most part, customers are wonderful as well. Some tasks are repetitive, but there is always a new lesson or piece of information to be learned.
Pier 1 Imports was a wonderful company to work for and I do look forward to future employment opportunities
held as a Sales Associate in Global imports (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 April 2015
The aspect of Customer Service care and product knowledge was always encouraged through monthly team meetings. Training for new computer and inventory systems were available and co-workers, as well as management was always very helpful.
Pros
Encouraging workplace atmosphere
Enjoyable atmosphere, good management, and stimulating.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC17 December 2012
Outstanding environment to work in due to helpful management and strong staff bond. The company as a whole takes great pride in their merchandise, as well as their employees and customer service.

I work as a sales associate and cashier, but very often work in the stock room as well. I typically replenish merchandise, set up merchandise displays, tag sales and liquidations, and organise overstock items. Every week I help to unload, unwrap, and price new/replenishment merchandise, as well as verify customer orders.

The job has taught me how to multitask effectively, and the importance of organisation and teamwork. I have been helpful in keeping the store productive, and I am proud of my contributions. The hardest part of the job is the continuos upkeep of both the floor and stock room. Displays are not only updated with every holiday/season, but are constantly altered in order to accomodate fluctuations in merchandise quantities. This requires off-hour work late into the night, as well as starting early in the morning, so as not to cause interference when the store is open. That being said, there is always something to be done, which means the job never feels stagnant.
Pros
great co-workers and management, has given me valuable experience.
Cons
varying hours, little room for advancement.
Challenging
Visual Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2013
Working at Pier 1 was a great experience, very busy and always a challenge with the amount of SKU's in the store. Being the Visual Manager was a real learning curve, working with plan-o-grams, store layout and the sheer volume of merchandise really taught me how to refine my skills and think on my feet.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of experience I had when I took the position, the learning curve was massive. I had been merchandising for years but this was on such a huge scale.
The best part of the job was the challenge every day to have the store to the Pier 1 standard, working with the staff I had and sharing our experiences, it was a wonderful job!
Pros
The challenge
Cons
Starting at 6 am
Would not recommend
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 September 2015
Everything about how we have to interact with the customers is so fake. Meetings involve watching videos of people at the top of the ladder lie about how exciting everything is and it looks like their smiles are about to fall off their faces. Every day I come home absolutely exhausted from pretending to be happy and bursting with energy for 8 hours. Only get one 30 min break for entire shift so I hope you like standing in place for many hours. If it's a shipment day then you'll be lifting boxes and organizing them for 2 hours, followed by unboxing and labelling for the rest of your shift (this sometimes carries over to the next day).
If it's a busy day then it doesn't phase you much because you always have something to do, but if it's a slow day then you still have to be standing even when you've organized everything 3 times over and you're not even allowed to lean on the counter because it's considered unprofessional.
Very high-stress job because there is so much pressure to make goal every day/week/month and if you don't make sale or conversion goal then your manager will harp on everyone the next day, even if it was completely out of our control.

Only good part of the job is that everyone you work with is in the same boat so there is a sense of comradery amongst the associates. Also easy to take time off and change your availability.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Monotonous labor, hours of standing time, stressful.
Extremely positive in regards to co-workers
Sales floor specialist (Former Employee) –  London30 July 2015
Fantastic environment to work in, with wonderful people. There was a switch up in management which made some things tough, but overall a pleasant experience.
Always changing products, fun place to work.
Shipper receiver and CSR (Current Employee) –  London, ON21 July 2014
A typical day of work would be unloading the truck with new merchandise, receiving product up to and including proper pricing and then out onto the floor. I have and continue to learn a great deal about the various products as they come in which ofcourse makes it easier to sell if you know the items inside out. My co-workers are a blast and we all work together as a team. The hardest part of my job is when my shift ends and I have to go home. The most enjoyable part of my job is just being a part of the Company.
Pros
The ladies I work with always bring in baked goods.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Productive and a fun place to work at!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC3 April 2014
They give you lots of product knowledge, They teach you how to build things. We do role play to practice how to deal with customers.
The Management is amazing and personable and the team that she hires are very competent and enjoyable to work with.
Pros
bonuses through out the year
Cons
not enough hours and no 15 min breaks if you work 5 hours straight
Great work environment and great management
Seasonal Cashier and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 May 2014
At Pier 1 Imports I had my first real introduction to cashier skills. The management was very kind and easy to work with. They took the time to teach all necessary skills. The work environment was great, all co-workers worked together in a efficient team. Overall a great place to work
fun place to work, no job security
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 April 2014
A typical day at work involves prepping the store for opening, and greeting our customers upon their entering the store.
Helping them find great pieces to enhance their home is the objective!
Great staff, goal oriented, fun environment.
Pros
great staff, working around your available hours
Cons
no job security
Fun place to work at
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON3 June 2015
If you love to décor house then Pier1 Imports is the place, where you can help customers to help their ordinary house turn into amazing place. Pier1 imports carry very unique and good quality product.
Love to work in the team workplace.
Pros
Flexiable hours, shorter shifts
Cons
unpredictable hours, no break time in 5 hours shift
great staff, great product line, great upper management
Part time sales associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 September 2012
great product lines,
co-workers are great
always feel like part of a team
management are fair
Pros
excellent work conditions
Cons
rate of pay
Glittery fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 November 2014
I enjoy the store and people here
4 hour shifts
Very friendly management
Co-workers are all nice people
Fragrance department is a bit stifling
Fun and enthusiastic
Sales Associate / Cashier / Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 November 2014
Everyone was a pleasure to work with. The manager at that time was very willing to work with my hours of availability. Very hands on opportunity to be up and moving with other employees and customers, sharing insight and everyone helped each other. Great Team environment.
Wonderful people and important skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BC24 May 2014
Learned about merchandising and customer service and sales. Learned how to take instruction and work by oneself after being asked to do a task. Interacting with customers was something that everyone did at the workplace, allowed for growth with verbal communication skills.
Nice and unique merchandise
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 September 2012
Hard work but no appreciation. i like my work at pier 1 imports but i am not getting enough hours.
Pros
25% employee discount
Cons
no hours
Good environment, friendly staff, positive surroundings.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 September 2012
They strive to have a positive atmosphere and they get that. If it's not working, we worked at it. Communication is key.
Pros
amicable, civil, tolerable, good quality products.
Cons
unstable shifts, sometimes inflexible with personal schedule.