Pier 1 Imports Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 July 2017
lots of hours at Christmas time, fun people, the store is very uplifting and visually pleasing. customers are wonderful to work with and the decor is great.
Pros
nice store
Great learning environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 June 2017
When I interviewed at Pier One, I didn't have any sales experience. Even so, they hired me on as a seasonal sales associate and taught me all about the Pier One sales platform. It was a great learning environment and the sales team was always helpful. There were lots of sales challenges and a general good natured atmospher to the store i worked in. The only part that i felt they were dishonest with me about was the likely hood of the position possibly lasting longer than the Christmas season. All in all, I would work at Pier one again on a part time basis. Maybe in a different department however.
Pros
Good management team, great learning environment
Cons
Short on hours.
good people to work for.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON18 June 2017
Customer service - and customer satisfaction - customer leaving happy.
making sure all product is left tidy
Management is good to work for and understands employees needs
the most difficult part of the day is helping customers who are hard to please and generally grumpy.
the most important part of the day is learning new things and working with the other employees
Pros
working in clean and happy environment
Cons
learning to deal with difficult people
love the workplace there
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC12 June 2017
love the job but in the end was taking too long to get there and at first it was maybe 50 mins to come home at the end it was almost an 1h 30 mins... the environment for work was excellent though nice staff and management
Pros
love the ob
Cons
took too long to go home by bus
I love Pier 1's stuff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON31 May 2017
Most of the time it was an ok place to work but there was a lot of nastiness going on. Management were always bickering with each other. I liked my job in the backroom, liked my duties but felt a little tension that could sometimes ruin my day :(
Pros
I love Pier 1 Imports
Cons
Nasty management
Unorganized and failing
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 May 2017
At Pier 1 Imports, they consistently fail to make sales goals because of the unorganized database and their inability to keep up with today's technology. They make sure that you almost never advance in the company. Even supervisors and people who have worked there for over 10 years don't get full-time working hours. They do this to avoid paying any overtime and benefits. Their system is outdated and unorganized, and this severely impacts their productivity. I found that we wasted hours every day on meaningless tasks that don't benefit us. This is because their policies need to be updated as well.
Pros
Fun Staff (Only Good Thing)
Cons
Bad pay, Inconsiderate Management, and nearly Impossible to advance.
Ensemble de travaille positif avec le personnel
Leader des ventes (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 March 2017
J'ai toujours hâte d'aller travailler, car nous avons une bonne équipe de gestion et ainsi les employées. Je vais partie de les décisions de la gérance. je vois présentement au bon fonctionnement de la réception de la marchandise avec une équipe. Il n'y pas aucun aspect difficile dans mon poste, car il y a toujours une solution a tout problème. L'aspect le plus agréable C'est de revoir le client qui a été servie par moi et qu'il revienne me voir pour de nouveau conseil
Pros
avoir une bonne équipe
Cons
courte pose
Laid back environment, bit boring
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 February 2017
Great part-time job. Very laid back, sometimes can be quite boring for lack of traffic through store.
Great products, management, customers
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON22 February 2017
One of the best retail jobs I have experienced. The products are easy to sell and the hardest part of the job is trying not to purchase them yourself. The management I had the pleasure of working with were wonderful, caring, and made work feel like family. Furthermore, the customers are great. A typical day would depend on whether you were working on the floor or the back. On the floor, you are responsible for sales and cashing customers out. In the back, you are responsible for merchandising.
It was fun working at Pier 1!
Retail Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 February 2017
My typical day would start late in the afternoon. I would give quick sales chats to the sales team and make sure all team members where doing their part. Also, I would be on the sales floor providing good customer service and sales of course. Management there were well trained and respectful. The hardest part of the job was knowing how little my paycheque would be because of the low pay rate. The most enjoyable part of the job would be receiving 25% off my purchases.
Pros
25% off employee discount
Cons
Low pay rates
Morally hard to work there.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2017
Pier 1 doesn't pay much and overworks their employees. For minimum wage it is hard to justify all that the company expects from you. Morally the company is hard to work for because you are constantly having to break items/destroy items that might have one little thing wrong with them so the company can claim it under insurance. Instead of donating items to a good cause you are having to destroy and be so wasteful. Really makes it hard to justify when you're barely making anything to take an axe to a $700 headboard because there is a couple of cracks.
Pros
Cons
poor pay, poor company values.
Fun place to work with ongoing education provided to help you day to day
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON22 January 2017
- learned about merchandise and best practices to display it
-company support for work life and personal life
- lots physical work on a day to day basis
- great discount
Good starting job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2017
Pier one was fun to work out, as a starting job. You learn sold retail skills and customer services skill. The girls I worked with were great and fun. The job it's self was good. Not something i'd think for a career.
Retail Employement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Riocan Center, Kingston2 December 2016
Sales and Cashier at a furniture store, selling multiple items of furniture. I learned how to multitask under pressure. I would stock shelves, aid costumers, unbox stock, and even worked the computer system for ordering from other stores. I enjoyed working with my coworkers and the management at Pier One. The hardest part of the job was that I had to maintain the balance of keeping the store stocked, tidy and aid and greet customers at the same time.
Pros
Work Experience
Cons
Hours of work were not enough/ not constant
Fun and diverse place to work in.
Sales Associate/Reciever (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2016
Very flexible place to work at. Management is willing to work the schedule around your availability; which was good for when i was in school or had other jobs at the same time. One downside is that there are mostly part-time positions available, therefor limited hours. Upside is that people that work there are helpful and if you run into a problem; any coworker can and is willing to help you. Every person is taught about sales/cashiering/merchandising etc.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Short hours
Fun place!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 August 2016
Pros:
-fun workplace
-potential to grow
-stress-free environment
-fun activities to reach shift goals and daily targets
-monthly staff meetings for future sales goals and store setup - involves games, group activities - teamwork, food
-great management and staff - like FAMILY

Cons:
-only part time hours for Sales Associates
Great Place to Work!
Assistant Manager for Pier 1 (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK11 August 2016
I loved my time at Pier 1. I had a great staff around me, great managers and a good team environment. Going to work in a glittery environment with pretty things around you and fun people to work with....can't be beat.

I found that management was happy to recognize what we were really good at (merchandising/customer service/ tasks/receiving) and give us those roles and guidance to excel.

The ONLY downside to my experience was that when you had an employee that wasn't well suited...it was never addressed. There were the few that just didn't fit and unfortunately, the overarching policy was put up with it, rather than address it. This included really poor behaved employees that were rude and didn't show up on time or give off a great effort. I think if there had been an enforced policy of measuring up, it would have made for a perfect environment.

But, all that being said, I had an amazing, fun time working there and it didn't often feel like a job. Plus, I made great friends with coworkers that have lasted the years since I left.
Pros
great working environment; great managers; variety of tasks/work
Cons
not addressing ill suited employees led to diminished morale at times
Dynamic and creative work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Taunton, ON3 August 2016
Working at Pier 1 Imports was extremely satisfying. I worked along side a great group of people. The workload was heavy and challenging, but touched upon merchandising, sales, inventory, scheduling and recruitment to name a few. This position allowed me to gain experience in many areas of work all at the same time. My 3 years at Pier 1 Imports helped me grow as a person and employee. I would highly recommend this company for anyone, like myself, who enjoys multi-tasking and challenging work. I truly my 3 years at Pier 1 Imports.
Pros
challenging, dynamic, people oriented, creative.
Cons
Heavy lifting, odd working hours
I am really,really sorry that my store is closing !
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Montreal-ouest, QC25 July 2016
Associates shift meeting ,discussing the previous day numbers,the new day goals, product knowledge of the new arrivals and zoning the associates according to their capabilities.Receiving new merchandise,calling customers to pick up their orders . Some of my co -workers are very knowledgeable and some are new and need to learn.The hardest part of the job is to remind everybody ,that the customers are paying our salaries ,not the company.The most enjoyable part of the job is to see a smile of satisfaction on employees and customers faces .
Great people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 July 2016
The management are great and bend over backwards to try and accommodate your availability to ensure a good work/life balance. They care. Really great co-workers make it a fun place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pier 1 Imports. Our community is ready to answer.