Pier 1 Imports Employee Reviews in Canada

fun and full of energy
Sales Associate/Backroom manager (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 25, 2016
Learn to work with more than one customer, always on the go. Helping the customer redecorate or shop for gifts. Coordinating colors, style and finding decor. Constantly standing and walking. I assemble furniture and hang wall art and decor. Knowledge of proper ladder safety, and proper lifting of furniture.
most enjoyable part of the job
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QCApril 14, 2016
Working along side passionate people who love what they're selling
clean working environment
lovely products on display at reasonable prices
friendly workers
Pros
close by
Cons
not an understanding manager
Fun and energetic
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMarch 3, 2016
I loved working for YM INC, they are an amazing company with great managers who have the best coaching and training tools needed for employee growth.
well organized workplace with hig quality merchandise and associates
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONJanuary 23, 2016
Coming in 5-10 minutes before your shift, putting on your apron and name tag, signing in and checking the schedule to see which zone/section of the store you will be working, is how the shift starts. On busy days, many customers will approach you asking questions and for help. On slow days you have to work harder to achieve sales. There is usually a goal of $3,000-5,000 set for the day. I learned how to work better under pressure and how to make better conversation. Multitasking also improved and my ability to follow procedures and directions. Management is amazing, very flexible and concerned with the associates safety and success in the company. Co-workers are always willing to help, very friendly and kind. Hardest part of the job is finding furniture that customers are looking for in the store because of the constant display changes that occur by-weekly. The most enjoyable part is making conversation and learning about the customers needs and wants for their purchase.
Pros
friendly associates, friendly customers, safe and predicable workplace
Cons
Short shifts, some heavy lifting
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ONJanuary 22, 2016
I love the company! Love their values and culture. Most customers are very friendly and sweet. Very little hours, and too many employees. Overall if you love to decorate you will enjoy this job. Most people have two or more jobs, so don't rely on this as your day job.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
too many employees, little hours, no benefits unless fulltime
Fun and enthusiastic workplace
Assitant Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJanuary 13, 2016
I have learned a lot from Pier 1 and the associates as well. I love the company and the product. The only reason I am leaving is because there is no room for advancements.

The people would be my favorite part about working for Pier 1.
Pros
discount, and working with a great group of people
Cons
no advancments for my location
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
i would walk around on the floor and approach customers ask them questions about what they are looking for and if they need any help. ive definatley gained some confidence working at pier one because i am constantly interacting with customers. management was not the best at pier one ill admit. i loved all of my co workers! long hours when you are running around on your feet all day and really early mornings, meeting new people is my favorite part of the job !
Pros
friendly, caring
Cons
poor management, unorganized, dramatic, unprofessional
Productive and fun place to work at.
Sales Representative/Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  woodbridge,ontSeptember 22, 2015
receiving store merchandise
put away store merchandise
awesome staff and management to work with
most enjoyable part of the job is doing store merchandise display
Would not recommend
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Everything about how we have to interact with the customers is so fake. Meetings involve watching videos of people at the top of the ladder lie about how exciting everything is and it looks like their smiles are about to fall off their faces. Every day I come home absolutely exhausted from pretending to be happy and bursting with energy for 8 hours. Only get one 30 min break for entire shift so I hope you like standing in place for many hours. If it's a shipment day then you'll be lifting boxes and organizing them for 2 hours, followed by unboxing and labelling for the rest of your shift (this sometimes carries over to the next day).
If it's a busy day then it doesn't phase you much because you always have something to do, but if it's a slow day then you still have to be standing even when you've organized everything 3 times over and you're not even allowed to lean on the counter because it's considered unprofessional.
Very high-stress job because there is so much pressure to make goal every day/week/month and if you don't make sale or conversion goal then your manager will harp on everyone the next day, even if it was completely out of our control.

Only good part of the job is that everyone you work with is in the same boat so there is a sense of comradery amongst the associates. Also easy to take time off and change your availability.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Monotonous labor, hours of standing time, stressful.
awesome environment, strenuous wrok.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 20, 2015
Opening the store, coaching the team in the morning. Explaining sale goals for the day. Assigning task. Managing the store. Helping with customer issues.

Learning how to delegate and have a balanced work load.
Strong company guidelines to follow.

The physical labor was the hardest part, placing furniture. Lifting 50lbs or more. Unloading truck.

The team was great and had a positive influence on the store.
Pros
great products and people
Cons
physical labor and long hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  OakvilleAugust 27, 2015
I love working with my coworkers and management, we are somewhat of a family. For the most part, customers are wonderful as well. Some tasks are repetitive, but there is always a new lesson or piece of information to be learned.
Extremely positive in regards to co-workers
Sales floor specialist (Former Employee) –  LondonJuly 30, 2015
Fantastic environment to work in, with wonderful people. There was a switch up in management which made some things tough, but overall a pleasant experience.
really low wages with little to no raises
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJuly 9, 2015
I do not mind this job, i just really do not enjoy getting paid minimum wage and the fact that only management gets benefits.
Cons
Low wages
Fun place to work at
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONJune 3, 2015
If you love to décor house then Pier1 Imports is the place, where you can help customers to help their ordinary house turn into amazing place. Pier1 imports carry very unique and good quality product.
Love to work in the team workplace.
Pros
Flexiable hours, shorter shifts
Cons
unpredictable hours, no break time in 5 hours shift
Pier 1 Imports was a wonderful company to work for and I do look forward to future employment opportunities
held as a Sales Associate in Global imports (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 29, 2015
The aspect of Customer Service care and product knowledge was always encouraged through monthly team meetings. Training for new computer and inventory systems were available and co-workers, as well as management was always very helpful.
Pros
Encouraging workplace atmosphere
Customer Experience
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, OntarioApril 15, 2015
A typical day at work involved assisting customers needs and providing a solution to their relevant problem.
While at this job, I acquired the important skill of listening to customers needs, working in fast paced environment, and informing the customer about current promotions.
I also provided an efficient and friendly checkout for customers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Little to no hours
Fun place to work with excellent products
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 13, 2015
I enjoyed the work atmosphere, but found the culture very restrictive. There was no room for innovation since all policies were determined by a remote head office, with little regard for the differences between US and Canadian culture.
The products were excellent and easy to sell, except when pricing was significantly different from US prices published on-line.
There was a fair amount of sell-determination, particularly with regard to how long we spent with a customer, but rules regarding greeting and questioning customers on their needs, asking for e-mail addresses etc. were a bit onerous.
Pros
flexible work schedule, congenial employees
Cons
no room to employ imagination, strong corporate influence on style.
Fun and enthusiastic
Sales Associate / Cashier / Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 24, 2014
Everyone was a pleasure to work with. The manager at that time was very willing to work with my hours of availability. Very hands on opportunity to be up and moving with other employees and customers, sharing insight and everyone helped each other. Great Team environment.
Glittery fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 19, 2014
I enjoy the store and people here
4 hour shifts
Very friendly management
Co-workers are all nice people
Fragrance department is a bit stifling
dull boring and micro managed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  torontoAugust 5, 2014
my head manager was great but everyone else was basically just trying to force you in to the jobs they didnt wanna do
Cons
men are considered to be moving people essentially