Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
dull boring and micro managed
Sales Associate (Former Employee), torontoAugust 5, 2014
Cons: men are considered to be moving people essentially
my head manager was great but everyone else was basically just trying to force you in to the jobs they didnt wanna do
Always changing products, fun place to work.
Shipper receiver and CSR (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 21, 2014
Pros: the ladies i work with always bring in baked goods.
Cons: not enough hours.
A typical day of work would be unloading the truck with new merchandise, receiving product up to and including proper pricing and then out onto the floor. I have and continue to learn a great deal about the various products as they come in which ofcourse makes it easier to sell if you know the items inside out. My co-workers are a blast and we all work – more... together as a team. The hardest part of my job is when my shift ends and I have to go home. The most enjoyable part of my job is just being a part of the Company. – less
Great work environment and great management
Seasonal Cashier and Sales Representative (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMay 5, 2014
At Pier 1 Imports I had my first real introduction to cashier skills. The management was very kind and easy to work with. They took the time to teach all necessary skills. The work environment was great, all co-workers worked together in a efficient team. Overall a great place to work
fun place to work, no job security
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Windsor, ONApril 16, 2014
Pros: great staff, working around your available hours
Cons: no job security
A typical day at work involves prepping the store for opening, and greeting our customers upon their entering the store.
Helping them find great pieces to enhance their home is the objective!
Great staff, goal oriented, fun environment.
productive buisness, could use more shifts.
Sales Associate/ cashier (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: short shifts nice people, easy work to do, good environment to work in.
Cons: not busy some days, can be slow. sometimes too many people working, not enough work to do.
A typical day on the floor: Selling and promoting sales and events, helping customers and team members or managers with tasks when needed, working on cash.

A typical day on the truck: Unpacking items, repricing items, stocking items onto trolley for distribution to store shelves.

Management: Nice individuals, assigns positions and zones in the store, – more... explains what needs to be accomplished and goals for the day.

Co workers: Easy going, nice people.

Hardest part of the job: Not busy enough

Most enjoyable: Busy days with lots to do. – less
Enjoyable to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 9, 2014
Overall I enjoy working for this company. Great environment.
Very fun place
Stockroom Coordinator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 13, 2013
Pros: very nice place to work
Cons: i just could not get full time hours there
A very nice and fun place to work
I just could not get Full Time hours there
Really fun and rewarding job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Langley, BCJuly 15, 2013
Pier one is a wonderful place to work. Everyone I work with feel like my second family and they make coming to work enjoyable. There is always something to do and that makes the shifts pass by quickly. The management are there to help and are always willing to. The hardest part is when displays need to be done. There is a guideline to follow but sometimes – more... we don't have the product. It always turns out okay though, because we make it happen! The easiest part is coming to work and being there. The atmosphere that has been created is welcoming and fun. – less
awfull workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee), ottawa, ONMay 14, 2013
only girls working on the floor with me. Manager was so rude, clearly favored the girls over me. was never happy
Enjoyable atmosphere, good management, and stimulating.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee), Pointe-Claire, QCDecember 17, 2012
Pros: great co-workers and management, has given me valuable experience.
Cons: varying hours, little room for advancement.
Outstanding environment to work in due to helpful management and strong staff bond. The company as a whole takes great pride in their merchandise, as well as their employees and customer service.

I work as a sales associate and cashier, but very often work in the stock room as well. I typically replenish merchandise, set up merchandise displays, tag – more... sales and liquidations, and organise overstock items. Every week I help to unload, unwrap, and price new/replenishment merchandise, as well as verify customer orders.

The job has taught me how to multitask effectively, and the importance of organisation and teamwork. I have been helpful in keeping the store productive, and I am proud of my contributions. The hardest part of the job is the continuos upkeep of both the floor and stock room. Displays are not only updated with every holiday/season, but are constantly altered in order to accomodate fluctuations in merchandise quantities. This requires off-hour work late into the night, as well as starting early in the morning, so as not to cause interference when the store is open. That being said, there is always something to be done, which means the job never feels stagnant. – less
Nice and unique merchandise
sales associate (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 20, 2012
Pros: 25% employee discount
Cons: no hours
Hard work but no appreciation. i like my work at pier 1 imports but i am not getting enough hours.
Good environment, friendly staff, positive surroundings.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: amicable, civil, tolerable, good quality products.
Cons: unstable shifts, sometimes inflexible with personal schedule.
They strive to have a positive atmosphere and they get that. If it's not working, we worked at it. Communication is key.
Great place to start
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Marietta, GAAugust 25, 2014
Been with the company for four years. Great place to start. They are continuing to grow and opening stores.
Nice, Home-y environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Eugene, ORAugust 23, 2014
I was always busy due to the amount of employees on the floor during certain times, but I liked it that way. Pleasant place to work overall; friendly, happy people.
Fun and Challenging Work Place
Store Manager (Current Employee), Kenosha, WIAugust 23, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: hours
A typical day is never the same. Every day is different.

I love the team that I work with!

I have learned a lot from working for Pier 1 for 11 years. The hardest part about the job is balancing my family and my career with the demands of the hours and the changing scheduel from week to week.

I enjoy developing team members for thier owm promotions – more... within the company! – less
Very interactive
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 20, 2014
Worked with customers on a daily basis. Greeted, directed, and handled purchases, exchanges, and returns.
Fun but VERY demanding
Customer Sales Leader (Current Employee), Garland, TXAugust 18, 2014
Pros: good ins, flexable schedule, low turnover, great employee appreciation
Cons: short breaks, minimal room for growth
I went into this job ready for a change and willing to learn but after 4 months it became obvious I bit off more than I could chew. Pier 1 is very much a horse of a different color. With a background in clothing retail and customer service management for 6 years I thought that I could handle it but the demands that they put on you, mentally, physically, – more... and professionally, I was not ready for.
I would typically work a 1:30p to 9:45p shift with a 30min lunch daily. I also got 2 or 3 days off a week depending on the week. Being a part time Sales Leader, I had the same management duties as the Store Manager or the Assistant Store Manager, w/o the pay and the title, while she was off the sales floor or not in the store. I usually worked a total of about 25-32 hrs a week. That work included unloading truck that came once a week and could be as large as 42 feet and filled with couches, chairs, tables, benches, dressers, and various other merchandise as well as online orders and in store orders that needed to be assembled or un-packaged and ready for customer pick up as well as moving freight to the sales floor, customer service, sales, and management duties.
The biggest and hardest thing that I learned from this job is if you are not able or comfortable balancing 7-10 different tasks, physical, mental, and in your face, all at once, don't do it. With this job you have to have your head on a swivel at ALL times and have eyes in the back of your head. You are the moving company, the point of sale person, the manager, the leader, the interior decorator, the moderator, the visual merchandiser, the voice of reason, the unhealthy addiction feeder, the Jack or Jackie of all traits. You wear SO many different hats at the same time sometimes you loose yourself from the chaos.
I greatly enjoyed my time at Pier 1 and learned a great deal while I was employed there. This job is definitely a challenge and for some people, like my SM and my ASM, it is a perfect fit. But the biggest draw that this job had for me was the stability. Everyone that I spoke with from the company prior to joining the team had been with the company for years and was still there. Now when I say years I'm not talking about 2-3 years. I'm talking about employees that have been with this company for anywhere from 6 to 26 years and still love it. So if you are looking for stability and ready for a challenge, this job is probably a great fit for you.
The management and staff are usually very friendly and knowledgeable. I cant speak for other stores but I know that the staff at the store I was at was very friendly and actually care about one another. They work as a team and really try to present themselves that way. But if you are the weakest link, the management will let you know. Focusing on Sales Figures, if yours are not where they should be, and after coaching and working to improve them for a couple of months is still not helping, and as a Sales Leader, your figures hinder your SM from getting a bonus for making a her figures for the quarter, you are not looked upon very happily. You are usually called into the store office and given a very stern,"I know you love your job and customers and staff really like you but you might want to reevaluate that this is the right place for you" talk. But overall Pier 1 is a great place to work and learn and be a part of a highly physical team. – less
Great place to learn great customer service skills
Sales Leader/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Miami, FLAugust 17, 2014
• As a Sales Leader, responsible for opening and closing the store, managing associates and their tasks which include making sales, opening credit cards, cleaning and maintaining the store
• As an Associate, Creating orders for customers
• Cash on hand and process debit/credit card payments/phone sales
• Customer service
• Merchandising products
Terrible
Former employee in the works (Current Employee), Destin, FlAugust 17, 2014
Pros: discount. period.
Cons: no training, poor management, too many associates, they only schedule 4-5 hour shifts...
Pier 1 could be a great place to work, but like many gargantuan retailers all they care about is the bottom line...I.E. sell credit cards!!!

Management is HELLA terrible!
Public fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Roseburg ORAugust 15, 2014
Pros: great management team
I enjoyed meeting and talking to the public about merchandise

1 2 3 4 5

About Pier 1 Imports

We believe we have something special going on here at Pier 1 Imports. Our culture is about our attitude toward business, how we – Read more