Pickle Barrel Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun workplace, great coworkers, fun atmosphere
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMay 9, 2016
Working at the Pickle Barrel was a very interesting experience. The esteem that came with being a server in a restaurant made for a very enjoyable starting experience but as time progressed I realized and understood that the workplace was only losing flavour. Managers were constantly understaffed and always calling in other workers to cover shifts. I was able to provide my time during the summer but as the school year approached it was next to impossible to cover all the shifts I was called in to take. The respect the workers gave to management was very minimal due to the treatment of the workers. The managers weren't always there for the staff which made the staff feel unimportant and more on their own which is not the ideal mentality when working as a team in a restaurant. A good job/career offers an employee a sense of identity and pride. This one could only offer that much for a limited time before the workers felt like they were being taken advantage of for their time. Overall I am glad I earned the experience from working here as well as glad I made all the money I did while i could.
Pros
Earning tips
Cons
long random hours, being taken advantage of
the best
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 22, 2016
it was my favorite job getting to interact with people learn new things it was a simple laid back job the hours were nice and the staff and co workers were amazing
Working at Pickle Barrel
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2015
Working as a Hostess in pickle barrel has always been a stressful and busy job. Us hostesses have to deal with customers complaints, take consideration of timing whenever sitting a customer in each server tables, deal with appointments and cancellation, find ways to increase the restaurant pace once dealing with long-line up, and appease to customer satisfactory once they come and go. We are basically the face of the restaurant. People will judge the restaurant base on how they first see us-till they leave. Although it is stressful, I love it at the same time. I guess I just work better in stressful environments.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
long hours, head manager is agressive and rude, very unprofessional
Nice workplace overall but not professional hours were not guarenteed
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2015
As a hostess sometimes i went into work for just 2/3 hours of work. I had to travel and hour for a two hour shift and management could let you off at any time and I just made minimum wage. They had nice staff but everyone felt the lack of job security.
Pros
food discount
Cons
poor training, unprofessional, lack of hours
Team building and friendly workplace
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMay 12, 2015
As the host I would greet and seat the guests. At times I would help out with making desserts and bringing them to the correct tables. At certain times I would help out with taking and bringing take-out orders and taking party sandwich catering orders. As hostess of the pickle barrel I am the first and last face that they see so I always want to make sure that they feel comfortable the first moment they walk in, up until the last moment they leave and hope that their good experience makes them want to return.

While working at the Pickle Barrel I learnt many people skills and how to manage many tasks at once efficiently.

The management of the Pickle Barrel is well prepared for anything to happen, while checking on guests and making sure servers are able to handle their sections efficiently.

My co-workers at Pickle Barrel were friendly and formed a family team environment that made you feel very comfortable and welcome.They were always helpful to any team member that needed it at any time.

The hardest part of the job would be when things are starting to get busy and hard to control. In that situation we would ask for the managers help and they would help us get it under control and moving well again if we did not already succeed to do that before they offered their help.

Some of the most enjoyable things about my job as a hostess at The Pickle Barrel was being able to work in a team environment with the people that also worked there and being in such a friendly atmosphere with all the guests.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Long hours standing
fun workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 20, 2015
Interacting with patrons and providing the best customer satisfaction. The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with difficult customers.
Productive and Fun Working Environment
Take-out Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2015
As my job at Pickle Barrel, I was one of the few employees who had a job to do almost every dutie in a everyday full time job from multi-tasking from hostess to the take out cashier and being the dessert bar attendant, etc. The co-workers at Pickle Barrel were exceptional, very friendly while training, patiences, it feels like we're all a family working together to satisfy our customers 100%. The hardest part of the job to me is leaving work when the day is done, because working at Pickle Barrel was a job I really enjoyed doing. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a customer leave with a smile on their face, then you know they are satisfied.
Pros
half-price off the menu at lunch
Cons
n/a
Great People, Very Poor Management
Server (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 22, 2014
Management is very unorganized, has lots of potential to be a good restaurant.
Back of the house is very poorly coordinated, impacts the service a lot.
Pros
free food, great people, great discounts
Cons
poor management, big menu (slows service a lot)
There was room for advancement and learning new trades of the job
Server/Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 6, 2013
Was a great working environment
Got along with co-workers and management
always had a good time
Learned great manager skills
Productive, fun, exciting
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Brampton, OntarioMarch 9, 2012
i loved every bit of it, loved the environment, love my team members was a second home
Pros
free lunch, cool managers
Cons
no benefits
great environment
Line & Server (Former Employee) –  BramaleaJuly 31, 2014
I have learned Time Management, I work well with my co-workers they made it easy when I started there
Pickle Barrel
Café Girl, Hostess (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 7, 2013
My co-op experience at Pickle Barrel was amazing. I enjoyed my time there. Everyone at Pickle Barrel was friendly and easy to get along with, my typical work day would be taking phone calls, greeting and seating customers and work at cafe and do take out orders. What i loved about working at Pickle Barrel was that i got to try out most of the food while i was working there. My job wasn't hard, but at times i would have to help serve food to customers.
Pros
free food, friendly co-workers
fast paced workplace with friendly employees
SERVER (Former Employee) –  toronto, ontarioNovember 6, 2014
Very fast paced. Always busy.. and great front of house staff members!! The back of house staff members not so much, very difficult to get them to listen.
Pros
good location
Cons
difficult kitchen staff
Good Experience
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 13, 2014
Working as a hostess at the pickle barrel was a good experience. I really liked the staff and interacting with customers.
Pros
free meals
Cons
standing all day
working experiences
Host and serving (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 28, 2013
Enjoy working in a group with others love to gain experience to better my work skills and partnership by working with others.