Location: Calgary, AB (Supports Multiple Locations)
Reports to: Senior HR Business Partner
General Position Summary & Responsibilities:
The Associate HRBP is the first point of contact for HR issues in our Canadian Region including stores in Alberta and British Columbia. This role will partner with the Regional Vice President, Regional Directors and Store Managers in an 8 store, 2 Province region. Areas of responsibility include directing management to appropriate processes and policies, assisting with employee investigations, supporting the needs of the payroll and benefits departments in the field, processing status changes, supporting field recruiting, and similar functions as may be assigned by the Senior HR Business Partner or operational partners.
Key to success in this role is to understand and execute on the needs of the business accurately with a sense of urgency. This individual must take initiative, be assertive and provide excellent customer service to the client group.
Essential Functions, under the direction and guidance of the Sr. HRBP:
- Consults with leaders on the interpretation and application of laws and regulations and on Company policies, procedures and programmes.
- Works with Payroll and HRIS to ensure understanding of accurate and timely processing of employee time reports, personnel actions and the integrity of information in the Human Resources Information System.
- Provide guidance to recruiting function in sourcing and screening candidates, as well as new hire compensation.
- Assesses candidates as part of the hiring team and ensures hiring team is using data-based decision processes to make a final decision.
- Ensures all pre-employment requirements are met prior to an employee being hired.
- Performs follow up with new employees to ensure that they are properly informed about the SSI organization and advised of employee benefits, programs and responsibilities.
- Acts as intake point for employee complaints and issues.
- Partners with the Regional VP, Region Directors and Sr. HR Business Partner in the investigation of employee complaints and issues.
- Reviews recommended personnel actions to ensure compliance with company guidelines and applicable federal and/or state rules and regulations; recommends course of action; maintains pertinent statistics and prepares reports.
- Responsible for updating regional and site organizational charts and headcount reports to ensure accuracy and assist regional management by keeping titles and charts consistent with business unit requirements.
- Rolls-out training and other initiatives at the direction of the Regional Vice President, Regional Directors or Sr. HR Business Partner.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource, Business Administration or related field preferred.
- PHR preferred.
- 2-5 years of experience in human resources with demonstrated competency in the following specialties: State & Federal employment law, recruitment, employee relations, performance management, strong relationship building and effectively handling multiple priorities.
- Experience in a blue collar production or small-box retail environment preferred, while holding positions of progressively increasing responsibility, that demonstrate knowledge of laws and regulations governing employment, employee relations and wage and hour issues.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in Microsoft Office Suite is necessary to be successful.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others to complete various tasks with established deadlines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to successfully present a business case and to resolve issues using influencing skills are a must.
Average office environment in a retail and production setting; some exposure to weather, dust and dirt, noise, and potential safety hazards on auto-dismantling lots. Some demand for long hours for completion of projects, conducting training sessions, attending meetings and seminars, etc. Extensive travel, with overnight travel 40% and local travel 40% of the time. Ability to multi task and prioritize projects and duties as necessary. Extreme pressures at times when dealing with personnel conflicts, etc.
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions:
Ability to: lift and carry up to 10 pounds occasionally; sit for extended periods of time, up to 6-8 hours per day; write by hand and keyboard for extended periods of time, up to 6-8 hours per day; assemble papers, paper punch, staple, file; apply sufficient force to open and close file drawers. Ability to walk and stand for periods of time on uneven ground and gravel, up to 2 hours, or in an training setting for up to 6 hours. Ability to communicate by speech and hearing continuously. Communication is by phone, email and in person, primarily with managers, employees and other departments in Pick-n-Pull and SSI. Visual acuity needed for close detail work, preparing and analyzing data figures, accounting, and computer use.
Job Type: Full-time