Photos Unlimited Employee Reviews

Really awful place to work
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 December 2017
The job itself isn’t bad if you like photography (and if you have a manager that lets you do your own poses) but the DM and AVP are really awful micromanaging crazy people. They constantly phone and tell you how bad you are and never acknowledge good things. AVP sends rude condescending emails and pesters you if the day was slow. Definitely not enough pay for what is required, as regular employees and managers essentially do the same job. Most customers are unhappy as everything including passport photos is ridiculously overpriced. Be prepared for getting yelled at by either customers or the AVP within the first few days. Not worth your trouble unless you’re dead inside.
Pros
Cute kids
Cons
Literally everything else
pretty cool place to work
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 November 2017
cool place to work, fun interacting with children, always given the chance to learn. would recommend to others. I was always good at handling customers and working in a fast paced environment so never had any issues. Must love working with people for this job!
Pros
fun and can never have too much of that!
Cons
none really
Worst place to work
Professional Photographer (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB23 November 2017
I am a professional photographer with years of experience and i got the job there because i just relocate and needed something to do before i open my new studio.
It was the worst job i ever had in my life ! Thats not photography , you are not there to be a photographer , you are there to try and sell really bad pictures , nothing works properly , they dont invest any money and i doubt they did in the last 30 years ! Low pay and way too demanding ! Nobody even knows how to change a setting on a camera but they call themself profesional photographers . You are asked to do a 3 people job alone , you are not alowed to be creative , amd all they care is for you to sell sell sell . Oh and in this time you are also suppose to go and try to bring people in for session . This was a total waste of my time and it got me to a point where i became depressed .
Pros
None !
Cons
Managment, equipment, hours, pay, everything ...
Horrible and over stressing
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 November 2017
This job is way to stressful for what it’s worth, not only is they pay very bad (13.60) but getting a raise or any kind of compliment is next to impossible! The standards set by the company are completly unreasonable ( 15 min booking times , ridiculous sales goals trying to push and force people to have pictures taken ) and the management has no aspect of there photos down ( they take really bad photos themselves ) not to mention the AVP of one of the Alberta distrixcts boasts that she’s so friendly and caring and wants to help but spends more time rolling around in her underwear on YouTube for her “music videos” then actually Caring about what’s happening in her studios.
Pros
Families that do come in are awesome, working with adorable children
Cons
Long hours, no appreciation, unreasonable standards, ridiculous goals, only get to go for lunch if your lucky.
Surprise de lire tant de négatif!!
Gestion et photos (Current Employee) –  Victoriaville, QC15 November 2017
J'ai travaillé dans de nombreuses sphères incluant la communication. Photos Unlimited m'offre un salaire très convenable et des assurances familiales en béton, les prix sont très bas en comparaison aux autres studios de photographie, mis à part pour les photos passeports qui sont plus élevées (mais il faut comprendre que dans une pharmacie, par exemple, les gens vont acheter une tonne de chose qui ne sont pas en rapport avec les photos alors que cette compagnie ne vend que cela - et les photos passeports sont beaucoup plus de qualité niveau image car un appareil professionnel est utilisé en studio au lieu d'un gros machin dit ''appareil passeport'' qui aplati et jauni les traits du visage!- bref un peu comme les bouquets chez un fleuriste, ya de bonne chance que vous payez moins chers dans une grande surface, mais moins de qualité!). J'ai eu d'excellents commentaires au courant des années, autant de la part de la direction que de la part des clients et j'ai construit au fil du temps une clientèle géniale dont je vois grandir la progéniture! J'adore travailler au studio, c'est mon dada. Les gens qui se plaignent d'avoir eu a travailler là manque cruellement d'expérience professionnelle et d'expérience de vie. Aucun emploi ne m'a offert tant de fun!. Oui, il faut proposer des produits, vendre des portraits, mais c'est une compagnie, c'est évident qu'elle ne roule pas sur l'amour et l'eau claire, hahaha!!!!!
Pros
Avantages sociaux, salaires, dynamisme d'une belle équipe de travail!
Cons
Compagnie majoritairement anglophone
Managers with criminal record?
Customer (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON13 October 2017
The manager who works at Uxbridge location, has criminal record.
Charged and convicted for shop lifting at Walmart.
If you go there to take a photo, be careful not to leave your valuables unattended.
Cons
Photografer with criminal record. Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
Decent company
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC27 September 2017
The company is fast paced which I like. The wage isn't the greatest. The people that work there are great! They need more staff to have a smooth running company.
Great place
Photographer & Passport Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 September 2017
Photos Unlimited was a great stepping stone, as I have always loved working with families. As an upbeat, bubbly person, I fell into this job very easily.
Unfortunately the staff go between stores and the management turnover was quite high at the time.
Great company
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Montreal , Quebec28 August 2017
Photos Unlimited is a great company. Unfortunately due to people not needing to go to a photo studio as much these days they are not as busy anymore. The company is run by a great team.
too demanding
Manager (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK14 August 2017
low pay , high expectations , no raises , no recognition for performance, but no money spent on equiptment
or updates,30 yr old everything in studios
Pros
work alone
Cons
too demanding for wage
Customers are the best part
Department/Studio Manager (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK13 August 2017
Worst place I have ever worked in all my life. They treat you awful and even when you are doing great and beating sales goals they just want more and don't even give good feedback.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Very stressful due to management, ridiculous time management expectations to possibly make customers feel important or happy
Dishonest
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON2 August 2017
Dishonest
You are not just a photographer, you are expected to manage the place. They try to trick people by manipulating them and lie to hook a sale. If you are an honest person this is not the job for you.
You are a sales person not a photographer
Studio Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 June 2017
I worked two shifts and knew it wasn't for me. I love photography but this doesn't count. I have no idea why people pay what they do for the in studio sessions, the photos turn out really meh. The camera could only be used on a tripod which left you with no creativity in the angles you could shoot with, the settings were on auto, and the props were limited. I feel like their systems are super out of date, every transaction takes forever. Now, on to the sales part... Every single customer that comes in you have to try and sell them so many things it's kind of ridiculous. I was forced to try and sell multiple things to people who were clearly in a hurry and didn't want to hear my spiel. I was also expected to sell to a guy who barely spoke a word of English: he was agreeing to what I was saying not because he wanted on location photography but because he didn't know what I was talking about. I felt so bad and I'm sure he felt awkward. Almost no customers want to be sold to like this, you can see it in their faces as soon as I start to try. Most people come in just wanting a simple passport photo but are bombarded with unwanted sales tactics. If I was a customer I wouldn't want to come back. Also, when I came in for my first shift I wasn't told to bring a direct deposit form so I had to guess which bank was my original bank (which I got wrong) and now that I've quit I have yet to be paid. I've emailed about this but haven't heard back in almost a week so I've emailed a second time. Hopefully I will be paid soon.
Pros
Hours are good
Cons
So many things...
no comment
PHOTOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB2 June 2017
I have absolutely nothing to say about this company to be honest. so i have no clue what to put here but it won't let me submit 150 characters of just 'no comment' so yeah
Eehhh...
Photographer in studio and on location (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 June 2017
Aucune reconnaissance du bon travail de leurs employées.
Aucun avancement possible.
Horaire qui varie sans cesse.
Après 4 ans, toujours impossible d'avoir une augmentation minime et normale.
Changement continuel de gérante et de district manager.
Ils t'engagent pour du temps plein mais ne cessent d'embaucher de nouvelles personnes alors tu te bats pour avoir des heures.
Vente sous pression.
Compagnie où tu seras qu'un numéro et sans plus et où tu ne seras pas écouté.

Point positif :
Collègues absolument géniales qui comprennent ce que c'est que de vivre son quotidien dans cette compagnie.
On photographie de beaux moments entre famille.
Pros
Collègues et prise de photos.
Cons
Tout
Fun job if you want to be a photographer.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 May 2017
The job was great! Getting advancements can be very difficult at the job. One thing you need to have a good people skills with patience and the ability to deal and handle children. Also you may get a large family of 10 people or more looking to get photos done which can be difficult when positioning. Most of the time you will be doing passport, PR, visa and firearm photos.
Pros
Free photo and discounts
Cons
Rude and picky customers
Terrific environment to work for
Professional Photographer (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC17 April 2017
I absolutely loved working for photos unlimited, my team was great to work with.
I learned how to angle/ pose my clients what type of back-grounds worked best with their choice of clothing.
The management changed frequently but it was always nice to work with someone new.
I helped train the new-comers to the studio.
The hardest part was dealing with people complain of the prices and be angry with me over something I had no control over.
The best part of the job was clients coming in monthly to see me, or request that I am the one who did their photos.
Using my creativity everyday
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 April 2017
It wasn't always crazy busy but the customers that come in always made my day with compliment and crying over the photos they love that I took. A great place to be able to use my creative side.
it can be a great place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT17 March 2017
very high in selling to the customers . a lot of sales content to go over and retain . you open and deal with all sort of different requests from passports to children's birthday photos , so you never know what kind of day your going to have. hardest days is when the equipment breaks cause my studio was so remote it was very difficult to get things to my studio in a timely manner
Not worth it
Studio Manager (Former Employee) –  British columbia1 March 2017
They expect you to have your own camera to do their on location appointments that they push you to sell....no training what so ever. Under paid for the amount of work they expect. The editing programs are the same thing that come pre loaded on an iPhone.... they also expect you to book appointments ever 15 minutes.... because shooting editing and maintaining a happy customer in 15 minutes is completely logical.... and if you're laid off due to a studio closing down be prepared to fight for severance pay and anything left owing to you because they will try to find a way to get out of it....
Pros
Experience
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Photos Unlimited. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5