Philips Employee Reviews

A great company to work for! I enjoy complete autonomy.
Home Service Representative/Technician (Current Employee) –  Massey, ON to St. Joseph's Island, ONJune 3, 2014
My position at Philips Lifeline is as a Home Service Representative/Technician. As such, I am considered a contractual employee. My supervisor is the Production Manager.
I report to HSR support with date and time of appointment I had scheduled with the subscriber. A work order is emailed to me, and I contact the subscriber and book a mutually convenient appointment to either install or service Lifeline's equipment.
There was not a typical day at work. Every day was different.
My co-workers are the response centre team; people I usually only got to know over the phone, but we have a great working relationship!
I really enjoy working with people and the majority of my clients are seniors, who I find delightful, and given my time spent in the Veterinary field, if the subscriber has any pets, I consider that a bonus! The hardest part is trying to convince these people that Lifeline is there to help them and it is not because they are "old" or can no longer be independent. I call it Auto Club for your home.
Pros
being able to arrange my own schedule
Cons
sometimes not being busy enough, therefore inadequate income, as i am paid per job.
Great Place to Work
Database Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 30, 2014
The Director was very welcoming and encouraged me to go beyond my limits.
Personal Response Associate - Toronto,ON. Canada
Personal Response Associate (Former Employee) –  North York Office, OntarioAugust 30, 2015
Personal Response Associate for Philips 'Lifeline'.

Philips overall might be a great company, but their 'Lifeline' division is lacking in so many ways.

Overview of Position:

Responding to "emergency" alarms, although 95% of them are false alarms. Will spend the majority of the time talking about low batteries, trouble shooting technical issues with devices or marking down false incoming alarms. The software applications are outdated, complicated, and tedious to use. Would expect something better from such an 'innovative' company. Loud environment, you sit side by side with other operators. No individual seating, desks, or privacy.
The North York office only have about 12 desks, clustered into one tiny corner of the office. Personal Response Associates a.k.a. "PRAs" are at the bottom of the food chain at Philips Lifeline. Customer Care (CSRs) is considered a promotion which you will not even be qualified for until you complete their 3 levels of certifications, which you can only take every 6 months.

Management:

Unprofessional management team(Toronto/North York Office). The manager and supervisors will not treat you as an individual. They will make little to no effort to accommodate you, they will say one thing to your face and do the complete opposite. They say they encourage and value staff suggestions, this is also not true. They may even penalize you for giving your opinion on a matter they did not want to hear.

Pay:

Below standard. Smaller companies pay more for the same line of work. Allotted vacation time is also below call-centre standards.
  more... Benefits provided on first day of employment, however it is a very standard and basic care package.

Advancement:

Management will tell you that, based on their own experience, they were able to advance within a matter of months (beginning as a PRA). This is simply not possible, since you are only able to advance after completing 3 certifications, and each certification is taken 6 months apart. They tell you everything you want to hear, but it is simply not true on paper.

Overall, the location, management style and pay for this position is subpar.
Pros
Benefits on first day of work
Cons
Management, low pay, few incentives, monotonous tasks.