Philips

Philips Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A company that cares about its employees and about making a difference in people's lives.
Business Process Analyst (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 14, 2014
A fast pace company that creates innovation that helps people have healthy lives.
Good Place to Work
Product Test Engineer (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLOctober 13, 2014
Pros: good local managers
Cons: external managers out of touch
Good benefits and structure. Was a joy to work at until they closed the facility down
Sonicare: Lots of potential, but Sr. Mgt and people don't get it..
Product Manager (Former Employee), Bothell, WAOctober 11, 2014
Pros: great opportunity to work on global programs and learn several lines of business
Cons: horrendous employee morale, culture reinforces bad / negative behaviors, lack of accountability and ownership by most employees, lack of aligned strategic vision by sr mgt, lack of leading by example by sr. leadership team
On an individual basis, work related to the job can be very rewarding. The big issue is that the overall business is very disjointed when it comes to thinking and acting strategically. Their is very little alignment between groups and unless you drive things yourself, you cannot expect your counterparts to come through. Many only know what they know – more... and want to "stay in their lane." The ability to think holistically and strategically is not possessed by many there. In fact, it feels more like a factory than an innovation hub or center of excellence, and many like it that way.

In the end, it's a great opportunity to work within a global framework - whether with internal stakeholders or suppliers, and you have the opportunity to really learn a lot about how to run a business. In some sense, with the organization being such a small unit, you almost get to operate as a "mini GM" and make important decisions that have a big impact to the product and/or program.

A disappointing part of the job entails obtaining buy-in from all of the stakeholders within the organization. Many have their own agenda and often times it feels like herding cats to get things done. Unless you're truly assertive things will not get done, and you should expect to be disappointed even when you feel/think there's alignment on a game plan. The truly hard part of the job is Sr. Mgt's role in the dysfunctionality that presently exists - many establish standards and expectations that they themselves don't adhere to. Furthermore, a vast majority of the leadership team lack the true strategic vision and ability to genuinely rally the troops. This may be in part to them not leading by example.

In general, over the past several years the retention rate of employees has been horrendous and I attribute this to the bad employee morale coupled with Sr. Mgt's tactics of employing European values on an American workforce. – less
Continual changes, re-organizations, mergers and acquistions
Director of Finance Program Management (Current Employee), Amsterdam NLOctober 7, 2014
Pros: plenty of variety
Cons: long working hours
Never bored, continual changing priorites, co-workers are all very enjoyable, matrix organization with many departments and stakeholders
Field Service Engineer
Ultrasound Field Service Engineer (Former Employee), Andover, MAOctober 2, 2014
Pros: company car, cell phone, laptop, going to different locations
Cons: short breaks, weekend and late night work
Ordering parts
Calling customers
scheduling QAA's and work orders
Good company
Sales Support / Revere supply chain Manager (Former Employee), Andover, MASeptember 26, 2014
Pros: depends on manager
Cons: not consistent
Good benefits - When working for the right department and manger the company is great. Most managers lack experience and are promoted to quickly. This makes it tough to perform in this environment
Not a place for advancement
TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Highland Heights, OHSeptember 25, 2014
standard 9-5 job with great benefits but little advancement. Management changes monthly.
beautiful campus
Quality Specialist (Current Employee), Andover, MASeptember 24, 2014
Because I am working with people and computer, so everyday is filled with work and fun.

I have improved a lot in professional world and personal live.

co-workers are nice and caring.
Customer Service Representative
Customer Services (Current Employee), Framingham,MassachusettsSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: great people and job culture
Cons: unfortunately there are clicks
Learned a lot on how to be organized.
Great management and always opportunity to grow.
Unfortunately they do seem to lay off people with tenure which makes it hard to want to stay , that being said though there are a lot of people who have been with Philips Lifeline 15 plus years.They do have lots of over time opportunities.Over all a great company.
Marketing Communications & PR Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 16, 2014
I love Philips. My job was a dream job. Philips acquired the company shortly after I started my role.
Great culture with extensive career development options
Operations Intern (Former Employee), Andover, MASeptember 15, 2014
Philips University career development courses are a great source for employees looking to get certified in different areas.
Very good place to work
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee), bothell waSeptember 12, 2014
Very good place to work. learn different - different types of inbuilt tools. Very helpful co-workers.
okay place to work
Machinist (Current Employee), Salina, KSSeptember 11, 2014
Would be an alright place to work if you were sure the plant would stay open long enough to get a decent retirement fund started.
very satisfied work area
Mechanical Technician (Current Employee), Flat Rock, MISeptember 10, 2014
Pros: free lunch on birthdays
Cons: good work training
Had a great time with Philips Service Corporation, very reasonable,easy going and provide good work training.
Harassment on Steroids
Technical Writer (Former Employee), Highland HeightsSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: paid on time
Cons: harassment is a way of life.
Due to management indecision and vacations I started three weeks later than originally plan. Being misled about the start date resulted in my suspending my job search. My bad.

Once I arrived in late July promises of training turned out to be nonsense. In addition to no training there is not objective standard for measuring performance, process for – more... setting deadlines or method of estimating how long a job should take.

Every job is to be done yesterday and ASAP. Every day someone showed up four or five times, after refusing to set a deadline or estimate the size of the job, to ask "are you done yet." I felt like I was driving a three year old to an amusement park "Are we there yet. Are we there yet. Are we there yet."

The best part, to stick with their theme of unprofessionalism and immaturity, was being sent to human resources where we were lecture on how to proceed if someone ran around the offices shooting us. After the active shooter training I went back my cube sat down to face my computer monitor with my back to the aisle behind me.

As I sat with my back to the aisle a laser light, looked like an aiming device for a gun, played across the bulletin board behind the monitor and across myself and a co-worker. After the training on shooters seeing the laser momentarily had me convinced I was going to be shot. The in house co-worker who played the prank thought it was hilarious. The same co-worker, I was a temporary technical writer, hinted around that I should buy her a birthday present. My in house leader confirmed that the birthday present hints were not a joke.

If you like rude and crude, there swearing and discussion of watching x rated movies on the job, this is the place to work. – less
A great learning expierence and step in the right direction.
Lead Administrator (Current Employee), Highland Heights, OHSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: great company
Cons: temporary position because it is contract work
My typical work days are Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm. My usual morning starts with me going through my emails. I respond to suppliers and any questions that any of our Quality Engineers might have. On a daily I manage an Access database and an Excel sheet. I also send out packages for part qualifications. I copy and scan on a daily as well too.

The – more... hardest part of my job is dealing with my co-workers sometimes. They are all Quality Engineers and they sort of speak their own language. I sometimes get frustrated because they expect me to understand them and I don't. I am not trained in their area.

The thing I enjoy most about my job would be my boss. He is truly a great person to work for and he cares about his employees. He has me set up a lunch that he pays for every month to celebrate peoples birthdays. – less
Excellent work life balance
Product Business Analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 2, 2014
Great company with focus on work life balance, flexible work from home and vacation policies
So very messed up
Account Manager (Current Employee), USASeptember 2, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: too many to list.
Philips was once a great place to work. Great team mentality, good work/family balance, decent pay, lots of communication from management, etc. Unfortunately that is no longer the case. Now it is every man or woman for themselves, horrible work/family balance and no communication. The upper management has threatened the sales people and yelled at them – more... on national conference calls that he is going to clean house if they don't shape up. The thing is it's not the sales people that are the problem but the upper managements decisions to get rid of direct sales and go with agents (over 200 people lost their jobs last December, two weeks before Christmas) and now a new round of layoffs are occurring. Morale is at an all time low. Everyone is scared they will be let go next. If your thinking of working for Philips my advice is run. – less
Becoming a joke
Assembler (Current Employee), PAAugust 26, 2014
Pros: ok compensation, nothing great
Cons: those in production set up to fail, and the skilled are worked like crazy while the lazy are free to do as they please.
Very dismal culture. Always expecting more and more while employees receive less and less. Little/no concern for development and no upwards mobility for production unless you kiss the right person's butt. But who has time for that? A lot of dead weight and some of the mgmnt have horrible people skills.
Philips Medical Systems
Quality Assurance & Regulatory Engineer (Current Employee), Highland Heights, OHAugust 24, 2014
The current environment and Philips is fast paced and constantly changing. The high tension environment is a result of a business decision to halt production after a recent audit. Environment previous to the audit was constantly in "crisis" mode resulting and many "band aid" resolutions that offer immediate resolution to any issue at hand but did not – more... solve the issue in the long term.
The typical day is not easy to plan. Employees are frequently unable to direct their attentions to the tasks they desire to focus on due to any number of demands placed on their attention for other areas. This often leads to the feeling of "fire fighting." Organization, schedule blocking, and planning help but are difficult to adhere to as the business culture does not lend itself to these activities.
Cultural change was a demand placed on all employees with an intent to be driven from the top down. Initial results regarding this change were promising, as of late, the culture seems to be reverting back to the "old way" and creating a counter productive atmosphere. – less

About Philips

Philips is a diversified health and well-being company, focused on improving people's lives through timely innovations.. With – Read more