Philips

Philips Employee Reviews

Learning is an everyday experience! Open your mind!
Lead Hand Facilitator / Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONNovember 10, 2015
I always try new things! I look forward to new products that come out and get involve as much as I can.
Knowledge is power and the more you know the more doors will open to bigger and better things!
You meet different people and share your thoughts and experiences!
Pros
New Products that come out!
Cons
Company has closed!
Excellent company to work for
Pricing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ONSeptember 21, 2015
Wonderful co-workers and fast paced environment. The learning is continuous and everyday provides a new challenge. There are plenty of opportunities to grow as an individual, team member and enhance your skills.
Personal Response Associate - Toronto,ON. Canada
Personal Response Associate (Former Employee) –  North York Office, OntarioAugust 30, 2015
Personal Response Associate for Philips 'Lifeline'.

Philips overall might be a great company, but their 'Lifeline' division is lacking in so many ways.

Overview of Position:

Responding to "emergency" alarms, although 95% of them are false alarms. Will spend the majority of the time talking about low batteries, trouble shooting technical issues with devices or marking down false incoming alarms. The software applications are outdated, complicated, and tedious to use. Would expect something better from such an 'innovative' company. Loud environment, you sit side by side with other operators. No individual seating, desks, or privacy.
The North York office only have about 12 desks, clustered into one tiny corner of the office. Personal Response Associates a.k.a. "PRAs" are at the bottom of the food chain at Philips Lifeline. Customer Care (CSRs) is considered a promotion which you will not even be qualified for until you complete their 3 levels of certifications, which you can only take every 6 months.

Management:

Unprofessional management team(Toronto/North York Office). The manager and supervisors will not treat you as an individual. They will make little to no effort to accommodate you, they will say one thing to your face and do the complete opposite. They say they encourage and value staff suggestions, this is also not true. They may even penalize you for giving your opinion on a matter they did not want to hear.

Pay:

Below standard. Smaller companies pay more for the same line of work. Allotted vacation time is also below call-centre standards.
  more... Benefits provided on first day of employment, however it is a very standard and basic care package.

Advancement:

Management will tell you that, based on their own experience, they were able to advance within a matter of months (beginning as a PRA). This is simply not possible, since you are only able to advance after completing 3 certifications, and each certification is taken 6 months apart. They tell you everything you want to hear, but it is simply not true on paper.

Overall, the location, management style and pay for this position is subpar.
Pros
Benefits on first day of work
Cons
Management, low pay, few incentives, monotonous tasks.
Great Advancement
Sales Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 28, 2015
Pros

Smart, hardworking people, good managers, training is available, benefits are very good, work is interesting, culture is pretty good

Cons

The reorgs were tough on morale and left some of the remaining employees with pretty heavy workloads. Prob best for the business long term though Salaries are not great

Advice to Management

Upper management was very good and quite open to listening to new ideas
Productive and safe workplace
Quality/Regulatory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 22, 2015
Philips is an excellent place to work. No two days were the same and there was always something new that I was learning. Management was very supportive of development goals.
Fun and productive work place!
Shift Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2015
I love working for Philips Life. Such friendly and helpful staff. It's reassuring to be able to help save lives on a daily basis.
Nope
Bilingual Personal Response Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 17, 2014
The benefits were good but there was little room for advancement and the management didn't care as much for us.
Productive and a fun place to work
Accounts Receivable Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 21, 2014
I loved going to work every morning because my typical day at work would incorporate everything I was passionate about. This included interacting with my co-workers, helping customers efficiently, taking on projects and/or tasks as assigned and committing to completing them well in advance of the deadline, analyzing issues and finding the root cause, identifying gaps between departments or within the department and aiming to close them. I loved every part of my job.
A great company to work for! I enjoy complete autonomy.
Home Service Representative/Technician (Current Employee) –  Massey, ON to St. Joseph's Island, ONJune 3, 2014
My position at Philips Lifeline is as a Home Service Representative/Technician. As such, I am considered a contractual employee. My supervisor is the Production Manager.
I report to HSR support with date and time of appointment I had scheduled with the subscriber. A work order is emailed to me, and I contact the subscriber and book a mutually convenient appointment to either install or service Lifeline's equipment.
There was not a typical day at work. Every day was different.
My co-workers are the response centre team; people I usually only got to know over the phone, but we have a great working relationship!
I really enjoy working with people and the majority of my clients are seniors, who I find delightful, and given my time spent in the Veterinary field, if the subscriber has any pets, I consider that a bonus! The hardest part is trying to convince these people that Lifeline is there to help them and it is not because they are "old" or can no longer be independent. I call it Auto Club for your home.
Pros
being able to arrange my own schedule
Cons
sometimes not being busy enough, therefore inadequate income, as i am paid per job.
Great Place to Work
Database Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 30, 2014
The Director was very welcoming and encouraged me to go beyond my limits.

Want to know more about Philips?

Ask a question
fun environment with sanitary work and eating stations.
Data-Quality Associate (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2014
Every work shift I would be responsible for the input of more than 100 profiles into onto a database for clients. I would also answer calls for clients who needed to make changes to their accounts.
Pros
gained customer service skills
Great place to learn the fundamentals of consultative selling approach
DENTAL SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 9, 2014
Philips is a good company to work for. The organization really focuses on the core fundamentals of the sales approach.
work under pressure
Philips electronic shavers (sales) - Taiwan (Former Employee) –  TaiwanJanuary 8, 2014
learned how to communicate with varies consumer and different type of superior. Responsible for checking inventory everyday.Understand function of each electronic shavers. The hardest part is to convince consumer that our products is the best. The enjoyable part is to reach the goal set by company.
very productive with lots of computer to repair.
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 10, 2013
They were so nice to me I worked there almost five years until they moved to mexico.
Pros
with a nice restaurantant and a nice foods
Cons
lots of over time.
Had some fun days and sales contests.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 6, 2013
The job was taking inbound calls from either seniors or the physically challenged or their families to get information about how the Philips Lifeline Personal Emergency Button worked to provide the client a safe home environment.

I loved talking to different people from all over the country and helping them remain safe in their homes and provide relief from worry for the family.
Pros
free lunches, had a nice 'quiet room'.
Cons
colleague stealing your sale, there was not a very good system in place to help stop that.
Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  TaiwanAugust 6, 2013
1. the hardest part of the job : create new service biz

2. the most enjoyable part of the job : Customers give a satisfactory evaluation
Thoroughly enjoyed working at Philips because of the people and my immediate manager. It was a great learning experience!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Laurent, QCJune 17, 2013
After 1.5 years at Philips it was truly a sad day when they announced the plans to close the Montreal office and transfer the Business Centre to Markham, ON. I thoroughly enjoyed working there, mostly because of the work ambiance. My colleagues were great to work with, and we formed wonderful bonds.

My manager was extremely professional and she was a great mentor for me as well.

There were days when the job was very stressful and busy, but we worked well as a team and always encouraged each other through the more difficult periods.

I would have stayed on there for many more years!
Fun and engaging workplace but un-supportive management culture and no opportunities for growth and dvevelopment
Engineer (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 12, 2013
Learned a great deal about managing large technical projects with cross-functional teams. However, managers were not supportive and there was a lot of political maneuvering required.
Very busy at times
Personal Response Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 10, 2012
They were fine, it was very busy at times
learned lots
the management was fine
coworker were fine
the daily schedule changes
working there
Pros
provided training
Cons
salary too low
Call center job
Shift Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2012
Philips Lifeline is a fast pace call cener, lots of constant incoming calls. It can be a high stress job, dealing with the death of people daily.