The Building Operator will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of commercial office, retail, or warehouse building(s), and residential buildings.. The Operator will also be expected to perform regularly scheduled, and some unscheduled tasks, to ensure the general well being of the property and its tenants. This is a full time, permanent position with on-call responsibilities and the requirement to work over-time as required.
The Building Operator will be responsible for:
- Assisting in the commissioning of new equipment - Purchasing, stock control, and utilization of materials
- Scheduling of supply and service personnel, work order request, and adhering to maintenance priorities;
- Assisting the property manager in scheduling building inspections;
- Performing scheduled maintenance on all equipment based on the manufacturers recommendations and operating manuals, or contracting this work out;
- Daily inspection of all vacant units and common areas, and performing repairs and janitorial services as required;
- Checking and replacing common area, hallway, and outside lights as required;
- Knowledge regarding water and gas meter costs;
- Ensuring physical security – making sure storage areas and entrances are locked and that adequate lighting is maintained;
- Having up-to-date knowledge regarding contracts and suppliers and their services;
- Participating in all maintenance projects;
- Performing light electrical repairs on items such as fixtures, switches, outlets, circuits, etc., or contracting out;
- Performing light plumbing work such as cleaning stoppages, replacing fittings, etc. or contracting out;
- Replacing broken glass, tile, carpet, screens, fixtures, appliances, window coverings, locks, etc., or contracting out;
- Performing carpentry work such as fitting doors, freeing windows, replacing and building shelves, sanding and refinishing doors, and painting touch-ups, or contracting out;
- Insuring all contracts between the company and clients, suppliers of goods and services, consultants, etc., are properly handled to protect the company and that the company fulfills its obligations in a conscientious and professional manner;
- Ensuring that all fiduciary activities, reporting, servicing and agency activities are administered in accordance with existing legislation, and in a controlled and prudent manner;
- Providing written operations reports on the general operation of the properties throughout the month, and a commentary on the budget variances from the previous month.
- To provide leadership and supervision to junior building operators, as well as sub-contract positions.
- Available for rotating on-call emergency schedule
The duties and responsibilities of the Operator may from time to time, be modified or changed by the company as required to meet the needs of the company.
- Power Engineering Fifth Class Certificate.
- A valid drivers license;
- Computer literate
Criminal Record check will be required.
- High school graduate, enthusiastic, well-organized professional with three to five years’ experience as a building operator with a ABSA 5th class or “B” ticket to operate office building, or light industrial warehouse centres. We’re looking for someone with a clean driving record, good credit rating, a non-smoker, no criminal record, in excellent physical condition. Professional building operator, to represent the company to tenants, leasing agents, subcontractors, and international investors, with a clear set of career goals, with a winning attitude.
- Experience in renovation and retrofitting of older buildings
- Successful experience in construction management
- Experience in recruiting and mentoring new building operations personnel
Indeed - 14 months ago
Property Management, office buildings and residential apartment buildings.