PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Early morning stock, interactive employees.
Support staff (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 4, 2015
Typical days at petsmart is unload skids, stocks shelves, and repack skids, help customers, help pet parents.
Fast paced environment, stressful and multi tasking.
Dog groomer (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, OntarioDecember 29, 2014
A typical day at work would be coming in, doing opening duties: turning on the computers, turning on phones, washing water bowls, letting the shampoos run for a bit, setting up grates for the bath tubs and drains. Checking to see how many dogs you have for the day, to check any availability the appointment book has and answering phone calls. Greeting customers as they walk in and also greeting the dogs that you are about to groom, checking the condition of the coat the dog is in and to see what cut the parent wants. I would open up their previous files to check if vaccinations are up to date and if not, to fill them in or call the vet. Reviewing what the parents wants done and printing out the service card and to make them sign the card on agreeing the length, type of cut, information is correct and the time that the dog will be done. While grooming the dog, customers would come in for walk-in services, phones would be ringing, checking in and our your other dogs all at the same time, also making sure the first dog gets out at the time the parent signed for. For closing duties: filing the service cards in the proper order, cleaning the salon, using disinfectant to clean the kennels, tables and tools, shutting down computers, cleaning the bathtubs and drains and sweeping/ vacuum hair from the floor and plugging in the phones to charge. I have learnt to deal with complains and issues, also how to deal with stressful situations. For a few months we were on and off with managers, until recently we got a permanent manager. She dealt with complaints and handled scheduling well. Overall  more... management they were friendly and made the work space comfortable. My co-workers were fun and comfortable to work with. The hardest part of the job would be trying to handle biting and aggressive dogs. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a bond with the dogs and getting kisses and love from them.  less
Pros
friendly staff, comfortable to work, reward cards
Cons
aggressive dogs
Worst experience ever
bather (Former Employee) –  EdmontonDecember 16, 2014
I worked there for 2 months in the grooming salon as a bather. The girls I worked with we're absolutely horrible. They made up lies about me to management to try and get me fired saying I was taking four to five breaks a day when I was barely getting one because I was so over scheduled. I had Absolutely no training and when I had a difficult dog the manager would just stand and stare at me as though I was incompetent! She even told me that she was upset she had to close with me because she hated me. How nice of her!
They are cruel to the animals they yell at the call them names and are extremely rough with them
I couldn't take it anymore
Cons
everythibg
A living nightmare
Groomer (Former Employee) –  VancouverNovember 18, 2014
To be honest i would not have given this place any stars. It was an awful experience from start to end. Here are some of the things i endured and observed whilst working here, bullying, drug and alcohol use, small animals left to die, management constantly breaking the rules, little to no support from management, very high staff turnover. I guess thats why they pay minimum wage.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa OntarioNovember 7, 2014
Great place to work. Excellent customer service model. Fast growing.
Just a real mess
Salon Bather, Cashier, Pet Care (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AlbertaNovember 5, 2014
Policies and Procedures are continually preached at you, however, rarely adhered to. Qualified employees are given menial tasks, while inexperienced people are promoted. The only time any work gets done, and the store looks presentable is when the District Manager comes for a visit. Animals aren't looked after, and fish and reptiles are continually sick or dying due to new employees being put into Pet Care with no experience and/or training whatsoever. Store is under-stocked and filthy. Sales are the primary focus, not the animals. Employee turn-around is incredible, and no one seems to stay employed there for long.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
no training, due to no one knowing what they're doing
Excellent place for a summer job.
Pet Products Associate (Current Employee) –  Store 1403November 3, 2014
While nothing about working at Petsmart could really be called difficult. That said job satisfaction will vary widely depending on management and unless you are in management you will not receive enough pay to accomplish anything above subsistence living. The opportunity to help customers find solutions to pet problems is an enjoyable and satisfying experience but is often overshadowed but the very limited time there is to speak with an individual customer.
Pros
flexible availability, easy work, educational.
Cons
scheduling, low paying, unrewarding.
Wonderful place to work!
Pet Products Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONOctober 14, 2014
Everything about working at Petsmart is amazing. From the management to the customers, I have nothing bad to say about any of it. Best part of the job is all the animals that you see everyday.
Realignment Crew
Realignment Crew (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONOctober 7, 2014
We remodeled the whole store. Restocked the store and setup new displays for the whole store. Co-workers were great to work with.
Pros
lead to me getting on at walmart
Cons
contract position
Very intense work with little rest.
Night Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 29, 2014
You go on and clean everything. Takig care of the dogs should be high priority but with all the work it is impossible.
Pros
the dogs are cute
Cons
by yourself and overworked
I truely loved and blieved in the company's mission statement. There were several aspects of the postion I enjoyed and did make a lot of friends.
Lead Core/Shipment Receiver (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONSeptember 15, 2014
The day would usually start very early as stock work would have to be completed before the store opened to the public. The skills I acquired from this position would be employed as I would stage the store with overstock pallets to be worked with the walk-behind forklift. I would then lead my team to work the pallets by accurately stocking the product on store shelves using sku numbers. I was also responsible for receiving and processing new shipments in a similar manner.
More words but less action.
Pet Products Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 13, 2014
An excellent work place will be a place where u feel at home and work with people who love your presence. But the structure of a firm where your voice is not heard, no love and communication exists, there is no motivation to work and no free growth as expressed by the firm, such establishment is not the perfect working environment.
Co-workers do not understand and speak with each other, the management act as dictators while what is promised is not offered such as possibility of growth. The hardest part of the job is performing your task and that of others but yet, still being criticized and unappreciated.
Pros
none.
Cons
you are on your own and can be kicked out any time if your voice your concerns.
It was a fabulous place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2014
A typical day at work involved working with the public at the cash register, stocking shelves, and cleaning. I learned more information on dealing with animals and handling of dangerous chemicals. Management was pleasant, professional, and always ready help in any way they could. Co-workers were also well trained, pleasant, professional. The hardest part of my job was the high turn-over in part-time staff. It seemed as though I would just get to know them and then they were off to a higher paying job. My absolutely favorite part of the job was working with people and animals.
A fun job that always kept you busy
Pet Product Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 21, 2014
My day of work would usually consist of stocking the shelves, make sure anything that wasn't on the shelves got stocked if we had it in stock. Helped the customers find what they needed and if they needed help carrying the time out would do that for them. The days were hard working, but my co-workers made it a fun time to be at work. Management was always busy dealing with orders coming in, but would also help us out if we needed it. Did their best to make sure we had what we needed to make the store run as smoothly as possible. Hardest part of the job would be when we didn't have what people wanted and not being able to satisfy their needs
Pros
always something to do, great people to work with
Cons
not being able to please everyone
Excellent sales co workers, terrible management
sales associate (Former Employee) –  sherwood parkJuly 20, 2014
The management at this store was terrible. There was an extreme lack of leadership and ability to relate to employees. Performance reviews never happened so there was little to no feedback. Many managers didn't care what employees thought. Turnover of staff was extremely high.
Pros
excellent sales co workers, accomidating hours
Cons
poor management, high turnover, low pay
Overall great experience
Lead hand for receiving/stock (Current Employee) –  BrantfordJuly 14, 2014
My overall experience within PetSmart has enhanced my customer service experience, as well as team management.
Pros
animals
Cons
hours
okay
STOCKER / RECEIVER (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON 7575 Weston RoadJuly 7, 2014
it was a decent work environment but i found the overall experience little lacking and it wasn't very interesting day to day
staff was really good, management...not so much
professional bather (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCJune 14, 2014
I really enjoyed my job. loved it actually. when I was with the dogs that is. I did meet some very nice people who feel the same.
Pros
15% off store merchandise
Cons
treated like a minion. i felt looked down on by management
Overall, nice place to work
Pet Care Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 9, 2014
If you love working with critters then this is a great place.
You'll always be learning something new, from your coworkers AND customers.
The only problem is some of the new management, and the poor scheduling choices of associates.
Pros
good benefits, learning new things, lots of cool animals
Cons
poor scheduling choices, poor overall management
Passion
Professional dog groomer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJune 9, 2014
I have a passion for animals, so the position was perfect for me. The hours and pay/benefits were excellent. Some inexperienced co-workers.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
management team