PetSmart
1,407 reviews

PetSmart Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Customers were wonderful, products sold excellent
Opperations Manager (Former Employee), Gilroy, CAOctober 13, 2014
Pros: discounts on merchandise
Cons: no upper management support
A typical day would start at 6:00 AM opening the store. Check company e mails (addressing anything immediate), get cash boxes ready and to registers, walk the store to check all animals first, list inventory holes and other issues involving merchandise. Depending on the day, often there would be a delivery in the warehouse that needed to be received – more... and put out in stock.
Assure that cashiers and warehouse employees understood the days schedule and expected duties. Meet with all associates before opening the store in order to explain the goals for the day. Supervise and take care of any customer concerns or those of employees or "Specialty Managers".
I learned I really didn't like being part of a giant chain of stores. The upper management in this district was mostly non existent.
Co-workers were good and most tried very hard to grow in their position.
Hardest part of the job was having no support from the district manager when I was left in charge of the store for months without a manager.
Most enjoyable part of this job was dealing with customers when I could get away from all the corporate paper work.

I have worked for other large stores which had a superior, rewarding, and team oriented work environment. – less
Good people friendly environment
Pet Care Lead in Charge (Current Employee), manalapn, njOctober 13, 2014
Great place to work as a college graduate or as a secondary job. You get what you put in. If you want more you can advance up the corporate latter. Everyone who works there loves pets so there is always a common ground.
working experience
Sales associate, stocker, and cashier (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAOctober 13, 2014
Everyday was wonderful seeing the beautiful animals in and out of the store. Greeting each customer in and out of the store. The employees there were very generous and kind, enjoyed working with them. There really was not a hard part about my job I enjoyed everyday working there.
Alright job depending on the store
PET CARE SPECIALIST PETSMART (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKOctober 13, 2014
Pros: discount for associates, you get to work with animals
Cons: bad management, rude customers
I came from an amazing store in AK and then transferred to one in TX the store manager could not care less about his employees and that in turn makes his employees not care about the store at all. It looks very unorganized, employees walk around with their phones out, eat food while helping customers, don't ask customers for help unless they come and – more... ask for it first. All this would not have happened at my first store. The experience really varies by store. – less
Productive and fun workplace with very laid back employees
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCOctober 12, 2014
Pros: 15% employee discount, laid back atmosphere, friendly people.
Cons: wage, workload.
Working at Petsmart is a very enjoyable experience. Its extremely rewarding to create customer-employee relationships on a daily basis, along with their pets. Management is also pretty laid-back, making it easier to focus on what needs to be done rather than constantly getting yelled at. Co-workers are friendly and outgoing people, always willing to – more... help you if needed. The hardest part of working at Petsmart I would have to say is the wage, and work load. There is typically not much to do once morning fish chores have been done, and wage is very minimal for someone trying to afford bills and daily necessities. Work load is extremely minimal, which isnt rally my cup of tea. Ive always preferred to be busy all day. Aside from that, the most enjoyable part of my job would be working around the animals, Watching them in the grooming salon, and seeing how happy customers are to bring in their pets is a great feeling. On top of that, the adoption days bring a light to the store thats hard to find anywhere else. Working with animals is truly rewarding in its own way. – less
productive and fun place to work
Bather (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNOctober 12, 2014
fun and educational the co-workers was all ways willing to help you when they had a chance.
hardest part was a lot of heavy lifting
Good People
Stocker (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAOctober 12, 2014
very busy when unloading trucks. employees are fun and good to work with.
Fun people to work with!
PetsHotel Associate (Former Employee), Maple Grove, MNOctober 10, 2014
There were just a few things there wasn't very many ways to advance at Target. My co-workers were great to work with! Management was pretty good as well.
Got to work around and with animals all day.
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: good pay, good benefits package, working with animals
Cons: long days, death and sickness of animals
In general, I really loved working for the company. As long as all managers and staff were on the same page, which varied in each store, it was generally a pleasant place to work. Depending on the position in the company, it was usually standard things except being a pet care manager, which entailed knowing the in's and out's of the particular care – more... of each species. I learned a lot about animals and business in my tenure with the company. The hardest part about this job was having to integrate business with animals, which I think have completely different values. I did, however, love being able to interact with all kinds of animals and see all sorts of pets come in, like goats and pigs. – less
healthy work environment
Pet-care Associate (Current Employee), Oxon Hill, MDOctober 9, 2014
Pros: 15% off all store merchandise
My current position at Petsmart is a Pet-care associate. I am required to provide adequate food and water to animals on a daily basis and advise customers with their shopping experience. I learned how to care for types kinds of animals. The hardest part of the job was contending with our unceasing inventory.
Fun and relaxed place to work
Pets Hotel Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Tukwila, WAOctober 9, 2014
I spend a lot of time in a playroom playing with 8-18 dogs per room. I also assist with other duties including making dinners for the dogs and cats, play with and clean the rooms of the cats, make sure every animal has water and a clean room. The atmosphere is very welcoming. We are one big family.
productive
Order Filler (Former Employee), Bethel, PAOctober 8, 2014
Management wasn't very organized. Many rude employees.
Typical day at work was a meeting in the morning, stretching and supervisors gives assignments.
Quality vs Quantity
Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 8, 2014
Pros: build relationships with pets and pet parents
Cons: internal store management
I enjoyed working for this company because I pay a lot of attention to detail. Which is a key aspect for a Pet Stylist position. I take pride in the quality of work that I provide for my customers.
Doggie Day Camp is the most mentally straining thing you can do in live.
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), Mount Prospect, ILOctober 8, 2014
Pros: play with puppies
Cons: extended camp hours
Standing in a room with unruly dogs for 8 hours at a time is extremely mentally taxing.
caring for animals
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 8, 2014
feeding and caring for animals, learned a lot about reptiles, management was fun hard working, great co-workers, hardest part was when an animal died, most enjoyable part was seeing new baby pets that came through the store
Challenging and fast pace environment
Pet Care Team Lead (Current Employee), Northridge, CAOctober 8, 2014
Pros: taking care of animals
Cons: inconsistent management styles
A typical day includes animal care and a great deal of knowledge for customer service. There is always a task to work on and customers to tend to, listen to and assist with their pets needs. I have learned how to use my time wisely to complete tasks within a certain schedule. My co-workers are all very helpful and a very fun and enjoyable group to work – more... with. The hardest part of the job is to be able to juggle multiple customers while answering very detailed questions among completing the tasks at hand. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with animals and taking care of them. I truly enjoy assisting customers and having them feel satisfied from the moment they walk in to the time they get home. – less
Cool
Cashier, customer service, and stocked the store (Former Employee), Midland, MIOctober 7, 2014
Awesome place to work at while in college. They worked around the schedule as much as they could.
Productive work place and great communications with co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2014
Pros: good pay, good communication, good hours
A typical day at Petsmart was attending customers, ringing up their items and working on the floor. I learned about animals and the food, I learned how to interact more with the pet owners and pets. The managers are always helping the employees out and socializing with us. The co-workers all work as a team and get what is needed to get done in a fast – more... pace. The hardest thing about this job was nothing. The enjoyable part was playing with the animals and getting to know stories of fun moments with the pets. – less
Fun Environment (:
PetsHotel Associate (Current Employee), North Olmsted, OHOctober 7, 2014
Pros: animal interaction, flexible hours, good pay
Cons: bad management, work holidays
The Petshotel is, in my opinion, the best department to work in. I get to take care of pets like they're my own and I love getting to know the pet parents and pets alike. Working every holiday isn't ideal but I think the management is one of my least favorite aspects. They don't always seem to be completely organized in my store and do a good job of – more... telling people that they're going to get a promotion and then give it to someone else to which has happened with several employees at my location.

But overall, I thoroughly enjoy working for Petsmart. – less
Decent work place with horrible upper management.
Support Manager/Presentation Manager (Former Employee), Faribault, MNOctober 7, 2014
Pros: great work environment along with customers.
Cons: upper management
Taking in the shipment orders and sorting through the back room over stock to see what's needed to be put out on the shelves.
I learned how important it is to have a close a well developed team to work with.
Store level management was great. Above that though the upper and corporate management cared nothing about the store level employees,
Hardest part – more... of the job would be dealing the constant daily price changes and sales.
Most enjoyable part of the job would be helping and aiding pet parents and their animals. – less

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more