PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent place for a summer job.
Pet Products Associate (Current Employee) –  Store 1403November 3, 2014
While nothing about working at Petsmart could really be called difficult. That said job satisfaction will vary widely depending on management and unless you are in management you will not receive enough pay to accomplish anything above subsistence living. The opportunity to help customers find solutions to pet problems is an enjoyable and satisfying experience but is often overshadowed but the very limited time there is to speak with an individual customer.
Pros
flexible availability, easy work, educational.
Cons
scheduling, low paying, unrewarding.
Wonderful place to work!
Pet Products Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONOctober 14, 2014
Everything about working at Petsmart is amazing. From the management to the customers, I have nothing bad to say about any of it. Best part of the job is all the animals that you see everyday.
Realignment Crew
Realignment Crew (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONOctober 7, 2014
We remodeled the whole store. Restocked the store and setup new displays for the whole store. Co-workers were great to work with.
Pros
lead to me getting on at walmart
Cons
contract position
Very intense work with little rest.
Night Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 29, 2014
You go on and clean everything. Takig care of the dogs should be high priority but with all the work it is impossible.
Pros
the dogs are cute
Cons
by yourself and overworked
I truely loved and blieved in the company's mission statement. There were several aspects of the postion I enjoyed and did make a lot of friends.
Lead Core/Shipment Receiver (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONSeptember 15, 2014
The day would usually start very early as stock work would have to be completed before the store opened to the public. The skills I acquired from this position would be employed as I would stage the store with overstock pallets to be worked with the walk-behind forklift. I would then lead my team to work the pallets by accurately stocking the product on store shelves using sku numbers. I was also responsible for receiving and processing new shipments in a similar manner.
More words but less action.
Pet Products Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 13, 2014
An excellent work place will be a place where u feel at home and work with people who love your presence. But the structure of a firm where your voice is not heard, no love and communication exists, there is no motivation to work and no free growth as expressed by the firm, such establishment is not the perfect working environment.
Co-workers do not understand and speak with each other, the management act as dictators while what is promised is not offered such as possibility of growth. The hardest part of the job is performing your task and that of others but yet, still being criticized and unappreciated.
Pros
none.
Cons
you are on your own and can be kicked out any time if your voice your concerns.
It was a fabulous place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2014
A typical day at work involved working with the public at the cash register, stocking shelves, and cleaning. I learned more information on dealing with animals and handling of dangerous chemicals. Management was pleasant, professional, and always ready help in any way they could. Co-workers were also well trained, pleasant, professional. The hardest part of my job was the high turn-over in part-time staff. It seemed as though I would just get to know them and then they were off to a higher paying job. My absolutely favorite part of the job was working with people and animals.
A fun job that always kept you busy
Pet Product Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 21, 2014
My day of work would usually consist of stocking the shelves, make sure anything that wasn't on the shelves got stocked if we had it in stock. Helped the customers find what they needed and if they needed help carrying the time out would do that for them. The days were hard working, but my co-workers made it a fun time to be at work. Management was always busy dealing with orders coming in, but would also help us out if we needed it. Did their best to make sure we had what we needed to make the store run as smoothly as possible. Hardest part of the job would be when we didn't have what people wanted and not being able to satisfy their needs
Pros
always something to do, great people to work with
Cons
not being able to please everyone
Excellent sales co workers, terrible management
sales associate (Former Employee) –  sherwood parkJuly 20, 2014
The management at this store was terrible. There was an extreme lack of leadership and ability to relate to employees. Performance reviews never happened so there was little to no feedback. Many managers didn't care what employees thought. Turnover of staff was extremely high.
Pros
excellent sales co workers, accomidating hours
Cons
poor management, high turnover, low pay
Overall great experience
Lead hand for receiving/stock (Current Employee) –  BrantfordJuly 14, 2014
My overall experience within PetSmart has enhanced my customer service experience, as well as team management.
Pros
animals
Cons
hours
okay
STOCKER / RECEIVER (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON 7575 Weston RoadJuly 7, 2014
it was a decent work environment but i found the overall experience little lacking and it wasn't very interesting day to day
staff was really good, management...not so much
professional bather (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCJune 14, 2014
I really enjoyed my job. loved it actually. when I was with the dogs that is. I did meet some very nice people who feel the same.
Pros
15% off store merchandise
Cons
treated like a minion. i felt looked down on by management
Overall, nice place to work
Pet Care Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 9, 2014
If you love working with critters then this is a great place.
You'll always be learning something new, from your coworkers AND customers.
The only problem is some of the new management, and the poor scheduling choices of associates.
Pros
good benefits, learning new things, lots of cool animals
Cons
poor scheduling choices, poor overall management
Passion
Professional dog groomer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJune 9, 2014
I have a passion for animals, so the position was perfect for me. The hours and pay/benefits were excellent. Some inexperienced co-workers.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
management team
Very fun and fast paced environment. No two days are ever the same
Cashier/Salon/Pet Care/Customer Service associate, (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 1, 2014
I don't have a typical day at work because I've had the opportunity to work in multiple departments including the grooming salon, at the cash register, in pet care and in customer service. I get to work with both animals and people and I have fun every time I clock in for my shift.

The hardest part of my job is when I cannot help a customer (or pet) with problems they face, health or otherwise. I love making relationships and connections with people and I dislike when I cannot fulfill their needs.

In terms of staff, I work with a group of friendly, knowledge people including managers and other associates. The environment allowed for free communication between all the staff and problems were generally addressed quickly.
Pros
cute animals every day
Cons
sometimes strenuous activity
Will never go back this company
PROFESSIONAL PET STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONMay 25, 2014
Very bad company, bad management but good co-worker.
I will never go back to this company due to the bad experience. got insulted and discriminated by the manager on my work injury.
Fun place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 12, 2014
If you love animals, I can't imagine a better place to work. Fun, clean environment with opportunities for internal advancement.
As a Stock Associate
Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 30, 2014
The job is quite fun and active, always something to do, never a dull moment. The management is terrible though.
You are better than PetSmart
Groomer (Former Employee) –  HamiltonApril 17, 2014
Grooming salon is busy, the girls are gossipers so know you will always be talked about. You get paid minimum wage for getting bit, hurting your back and getting wrist problems. You are expected to work every weekend and also expected to handle dogs that bit you. If you have a soul, dont work here or you will loose it.
Pros
meeting some cute dogs
Cons
no breaks, horrible pay, health problems, horrible staff
Great atmosphere
Stocking Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton ABMarch 31, 2014
Working at Petsmart was one of the most enjoyable jobs I've ever had. Not because of the nature of the work nor the place of work, what made working at Petsmart enjoyable was the people I was working with.
Pros
easygoing management
Cons
poor scheduling