PetSmart
1,240 reviews

PetSmart Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good for students, but not for adults who want to further themselves
Dog Bather/ Cashier (Current Employee), Williston, VTJune 30, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: only part time
I've worked here for two years. Not once have i been notified of raises. I love the people i work with but they will not offer full time unless you want management. It was a great place to work when i was in school but now that im not, i need a more stable job.
Fun, Productive and supporting work place
Pet care Associate and cashier (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 29, 2014
Over all, Petsmart is a great place for a job . I love it there, But it is not the place for a full career nor a stable enough job to be able to pay bills and fend for ones self. This goes for all retail places, the hours/pay is not enough to live on and still keep up with bills.
laid back
Early Morning Stocker (Current Employee), Crestwood, ILJune 28, 2014
came in to stock merchandise early in the morning before customers would come.
It's a great workout as a pet products associate
Cashier and pet products associate (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJune 27, 2014
Pros: working with animals
Cons: early morning hours
This is a very physical job. You are lifting 40 lb bags of dog food very often and you pull pallets off the truck.
Retail and Animal Care
Asst (Former Employee), Pueblo, COJune 27, 2014
retail atmosphere. Great training in animal care. Training in care of all types of animals. Day included cashier, customer service, inventory control, ordering, stocking, and managerial duties.
PetSmart
Cashier (Former Employee), Woodland Hills, CAJune 27, 2014
Pros: meeting dogs, and filling in for co-workers in their respective departments.
A typical day at work at PetSmart consisted of cashiering and stocking between customers. I learned how to balance tasks without compromising customer service and how to close a store at night.
Management was efficient and knowledgeable about the product. My co-workers were nice and easy to work with.
The hardest part of my job was making sure every – more... item was properly pulled forward and the go backs put away in time, especially if it had been a particularly messy and busy day. The best part of my job was filling in for co-workers in their departments and seeing the dogs customers would bring in. – less
Pet care associate
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYJune 27, 2014
Pros: take care of animals. help people with there animal problems
Cons: bad pay, management doesn't care about outside life(school), rumors spread around store like its high school
A typical day would be cleaning animal cages and maintains them. Blocking and facing and answering pet parent questions.
ok
Dog bather-receptionist-pet care-cashier (Former Employee), Waldorf, MDJune 26, 2014
the comapny was ok but the mangemant sucked it needed more gudieness there really wasnt support in the comany and mangers
Groomer (Former Employee), Crystal Lake, ILJune 26, 2014
I worked as a groomer. Its a fast paced environment where multitasking is key.
Bather (Former Employee), Terre Haute, INJune 26, 2014
The day at work all revolved around the management. Management when I was hired in was better than when I had left, store management was great Salon Manager was a nightmare. She no longer works at that location.
Long hours, extremely stressful
Support Manager (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLJune 26, 2014
Pros: animal lovers, customer connections
Cons: sometimes no break, death threats over coupons
Typically, as support manager, I had to take care of signing off on the pet salon, making sure every employee was working efficiently, answering phones, dealing with Banfield, the vets, making sure everyone was taking their breaks at the correct time, doing adoptions, paperwork, etc.

I learned a lot of leadership and learned that people get incredibly – more... mean over dog food.

As part of management, we had to communicate efficiently

My coworkers were respectful for the most part

The best part of the job was working with people who loved their animals so much, and the hardest part was operating the store by myself at times – less
Petsmart is a great place to work!
Team Member (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COJune 25, 2014
Pros: getting to work with animals
Cons: full-time hours are difficult to come by
I take care of animals for this job- I clean cages, administer medications, interact with the animals, help customers, help with displays. I LOVE animals so this job is wonderful for me- I am learning a lot and it's a great work environment. The management staff are good, my co-workers are also good. The most enjoyable part of this job would be the – more... interaction with animals, the worst part of this job would be the lack of full-time hours available. – less
Pretty cooll place to work
Pet Stylist (Current Employee), Salem, NHJune 25, 2014
Pros: free dog baths for your own dogs
Cons: hectic
If you love dogs its a great place to work. Corporate is frustrating sometimes but such is life with most corporate companies
Great ledership team
Operations Manager (Current Employee), McCarran, NVJune 24, 2014
Pros: culture
Amazing place to work; great leadership team.

Engagement with all associates. True CARE attitude; connecting, assisting, recognizing and energizing!
Fun and interesting
Lead Cashier (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 24, 2014
Pros: good surroundings
Cons: inconsistent management
The company itself is a pretty great place to work for, you get to see and meet new and old pet parents and help them really understand their pet better. Management is pretty good as far as not always being on your case and really trusting you unless you give them reason not to. The worst part of the job is the inconsistency in policy and procedure. – more... Every manager kinda has their own idea on what they think return policy should be. The best part is that if you have a great team like I did you all will get along super well and a lot of times it doesn't really feel like work. – less
Excellent fun place to work that is all about the pets.
Store Manager (Acting) (Former Employee), Gilroy, CaliforniaJune 23, 2014
This company taught me quite a bit about the practices of management and the aspects of the retail world. In 4 years I advanced to 3 positions working my way up the corporate ladder. The practices of this company prove to be about the connection between pets and their pet parents. I would work for this company again or any of their competing companies – more... that are involved in these types of practices. Makes for a great working environment. – less
Fun animal enviroment
Dog Trainer/Assistant Evening Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 23, 2014
Pros: great animal discounts
Cons: very competitive sales for dog trainers
♦Responsible for weekly dog training classes
♦Marketed and recruited new clients for class attendance
♦Saw to front of store operations
♦Accountable for all cash drawers
♦Help coordinate dog adoptions events

I would typically work 5-6hrs a day as a cashier and then in the evenings I would hold my dog training classes. A class could range from 3 dogs – more... to 12 dogs.

I learned it was fairly easy to train the dogs the challenge was retraining the dogs owner. But how rewarding it was when the owner finally does correct training and he is getting the response he wants from his dog!

My co-workers were always supportive and helpful whenever I asked them for anything. – less
Fun Fun Fun
Stocker/Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee), Boise IdahoJune 23, 2014
I was responsible mostly for put up all the freight on the shelves and in the back room. The hardest part of my job was the constant lifting of 50 lb. bags of dog food and 40 lb. boxes of cat litter for multiple hours a day. The best part of the job was the interactions with all the animals coming in and my coworkers and management was great as well.
petsmart is a good place to work.
Stocker/Customer Service (Current Employee), Bellingham, MAJune 19, 2014
Pros: early start to the day.
Cons: beinging passed over and not getting full time as promised.
my days start at 5 or 6 a.m.. we go in and work freight for fills from previous day sales.
i have enjoyed learning about the different animal habits of eating and socializing.
management changes often here as in most retail stores, but the ones i have worked with have been very nice and somewhat helpful. my direct manager is a wonderful person and is – more... the only reason i have not left yet.
the hardest part of this job is the lifting of the 50lb. bags on a daily basis. it is not that it is so hard it is just very tiring after doing so much of it for so long.
i love having our customers bring in their dogs to shop,ask questions, and being able to send them away with answered questions they were looking for. – less
PetSmart has a hi integrity
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Signal Hill, CAJune 19, 2014
What I appreciated mostly than other people who worked in the company was that it had a strong since of what was right and what was wrong.

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more