PetSmart Employee Reviews

overall great workplace
Early Morning Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham OnOctober 8, 2015
PetSmart at the time was a great place to work, good work relationships with fellow co-workers, it had a few kinks but other than that it was a fun place to work and always got the job done.
Pros
discounts, friends, learning expeirence
Cons
short hours
Horrible Management
STOCK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  sherwood parkJune 26, 2015
I worked here as an early morning stock crew for a month because the management was so awful. I was the only team member that would work to meet targets and when they were not met i was the one who mostly got yelled at. Also the wage was awful for getting up at 3am and carrying bags of dog food all day. The pets were nice and so were the clients and other co workers.
Pros
animals
Cons
management, wage, hours
Answer phone, groom dogs, clean. Overall not bad if your managers are decent.
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 12, 2013
At work I would answer phone calls, usually to book an appointment or to give quotes. During a check in, I would look over the dogs coat, skin, teeth, nails and ears and make suggestions\express concerns for grooming. Example, If a dogs coat is matted and I have to shave him\her I would explain to the owner what matts are, what matts do to the skin, how it effects the dog physically and emotionally, what to expect and how to prevent matts in the future. Then I would suggest special shampoos and conditioners to help the irritated skin. During check out I will go over what the dog coat was like, how it is now, what to expect and how to maintain skin\coat at home. Other duties involved cleaning, helping other groomers if they have a difficult dog, showing customers the products we sell, training new employees.

Although I went to college for animal care I also went to the petsmart grooming acedemy there I learned how to groom dogs. I learned customer service skills.

Coworkers are great and we get along well.

Dog grooming in general is not an easy job. You definitely need patience with the dogs and customers, you need a strong stomach (its not a glamours job by any means), you also need confidence and knowledge about animal behavior. One of the hardest things is dealing with an aggressive dog. Not only do you need fast reflexes, but its important to be very careful. Sometimes it can not be done, but if it does get done it is very rewarding.

The most enjoyable part is building the relationships with the dogs and owners. Working in a team environment.
Pros
benefits, employee of the month gets a chocolate bar or a drink, sometimes there is a service selling competition and whoever wins gets a prize
Cons
long hours, even if extremly slow people who work on commission have to stay the whole day
An entertaining and rewarding experience with great staff and opportunity
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 29, 2015
I held this job for about 2 months while I studying abroad in Canada. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did, and it was unfortunate that I had to leave as soon as I did due to personal reasons. I loved being able to share my pet knowledge with customers, and often times it made people very happy that I took a little extra time to explain to them the differences between certain products. I really enjoyed the staff, as they made it very easy to learn on the job. A typical day included:

Counting register
Handling cash
Handling returns and exchanges
Promoting Pet Perks rewards card
Lifting objects of at least 25 pounds
Stocking shelves
Facing merchandise
Displaying products in a creative/fun manner
Emptying trash
Pros
great staff, friendly management, great pay, flexible hours
Cons
short lunch breaks
A productive and fun workplace that recognizes commitment and hard work
Presentation Manager (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONApril 15, 2013
There are three essential parts to working as a PetSmart associate:

1) greeting and helping costumers in any way possible
2) educating a pet parent
3) helping a customer find what they need and leave satisfied

It is a work environment that allows you to express your love for animals and work hand in hand with them as they visit the store daily. My knowledge in pet food, pet management, and care of all animals as increased. The people I work with are almost always fun and friendly, many having pets themselves.The hardest part of the job is that it can be very physically demanding, but the best part of the job is making someone leave the store with a smile.
Pros
a family like culture
Cons
a large work load with sharp deadlines
Great Environment with lot of opportunity for advancement!
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLApril 30, 2015
Great part-time job.
Many departments to work in (Cash, Stock, Pet Care, Management) and ability to cross-train!
I was in every department as I was needed.
Somedays you felt run off your head but that made the shift go by faster.
Cleaning up after other peoples dogs is not fun but cuddling puppies makes up for it.
Hours were flexible and great with working around my school schedule.
Pros
Puppies, Hours, Staff
Cons
Cleaning up after animals
Terrible Management!!
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 4, 2015
Job itself is not bad, for the most part the dogs that come into the salon are very sweet. the job is not as glamorous as people think! friends always think groomers play with dogs all day, but you need a strong stomach to deal with half of the stuff you see come through the salon doors. also, be prepared to deal with the mean dogs too. management will tell you when you get hired that you have the right to send any dog home you feel unsafe grooming, then when the time comes they pressure you to complete the groom anyways. management is all money hungry, and our own store manager seems clueless when it comes to dog safety policies, yet he spends all his time worrying about the stores satisfaction ratings and sales plans. if you have any type of problem, don't expect help from your managers. they seem to promote the most unqualified people, leading to a management team that is disorganized and all over the place! also, say goodbye to your weekends (all of them!!) while you are prepared to work here. also, the manager turn over rate is astounding. we had an awesome store manager when i was hired and then they transferred him. on a final note, can i mention that they apparently want to start doing salon schedules a YEAR in advance
Fun workplace with dedicated workers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, OnMay 27, 2015
A typical day at work starts differently depending on what area you're working in. As a pet care associate, I start my day by feeding all the animals in the store and checking in on any sick animals in the back. This can include giving medication. Depending on the day, I might have to do a full clean (Cleaning the entire section for certain animals: Reptiles, birds, small animals, etc.) This takes about 2 hours and is usually the responsibility of one associate. I would then spend the rest of the day helping customers with any questions and providing them with any materials they would need to own a pet and occasionally selling said pet to them. Upon closing, it's very similar to opening just without the feeding process. Checking on all animals once again, making sure health is optimal and giving any medications needed.

I've learned quite a bit about animals while working at this location, enough to help customers find the perfect animal for their home life and time management.

My co-workers are amazingly fun people to be around.

The hardest part of the job is having someone come in with a very strong idea of what they want and realizing it's not the best choice for them, but being unable to convince them otherwise.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Short shifts
Unfortunate Experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONDecember 3, 2013
At work as a cashier I would help customers find products, answer questions, answer the phone, and complete transactions. I learned how to operate a cash register and a lot of helpful information for pet help and care.
Management was not well. Aside from being switched often, many are rude and childlike, talking about employees and fellow staff behind their back to employees and customers. They rarely would help staff, aside from a select few, and were generally lazy and rude.
Most of my coworkers got a long, however as mostly only females are hired, there was a lot of drama that management did not handle well. It was more like high school again.
The hardest part of the job was sucking up what you know is right and doing as you're told, because management really just doesn't care.
However, happy customers and adorable animals always could make a day get better.
Pros
customers are happy and the animals are always a great benefit to be around!
Cons
management needs sensitivity training and needs to hire a range of cultures.
Fun
associate (Former Employee) –  ONMarch 27, 2015
This company treats their employees very well. They are very considerate and caring; the CARE culture really comes through even with employees. They go out of their way to give you an enjoyable job and teach new skills and keep perfecting them. I, as well as my co-workers and managers have always treated each other with mutual respect and kindness and they seem more like friends than coworkers, as everyone gets along so well and works toward company goals as a team. I am very grateful to have worked here.
Pros
pets, discount, flexible, understanding
Cons
low wages, few hours available
More words but less action.
Pet Products Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 13, 2014
An excellent work place will be a place where u feel at home and work with people who love your presence. But the structure of a firm where your voice is not heard, no love and communication exists, there is no motivation to work and no free growth as expressed by the firm, such establishment is not the perfect working environment.
Co-workers do not understand and speak with each other, the management act as dictators while what is promised is not offered such as possibility of growth. The hardest part of the job is performing your task and that of others but yet, still being criticized and unappreciated.
Pros
none.
Cons
you are on your own and can be kicked out any time if your voice your concerns.
A fun job that always kept you busy
Pet Product Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 21, 2014
My day of work would usually consist of stocking the shelves, make sure anything that wasn't on the shelves got stocked if we had it in stock. Helped the customers find what they needed and if they needed help carrying the time out would do that for them. The days were hard working, but my co-workers made it a fun time to be at work. Management was always busy dealing with orders coming in, but would also help us out if we needed it. Did their best to make sure we had what we needed to make the store run as smoothly as possible. Hardest part of the job would be when we didn't have what people wanted and not being able to satisfy their needs
Pros
always something to do, great people to work with
Cons
not being able to please everyone
Productive place
Support Manager, Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, OntAugust 10, 2015
I am currently working as a Pet Care employee where I manage all the animals, their habitats, preparing their meals and selling to customers. I also managed the store and closed cash, filed paperwork, and managed employee tasks and breaks.
Love the Environment
Customer Service Specialist / Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 5, 2014
Working for PetSmart has its perks, being around animals and making sure that all pet parents have the best possible nutritional value for their pet, regardless of what kind. Customer service would help with customer feel like they can trust employees in regards to their animals .
Pros
position advancement, flexable hours, great co-workers
Cons
slow management process
Excellent place for a summer job.
Pet Products Associate (Current Employee) –  Store 1403November 3, 2014
While nothing about working at Petsmart could really be called difficult. That said job satisfaction will vary widely depending on management and unless you are in management you will not receive enough pay to accomplish anything above subsistence living. The opportunity to help customers find solutions to pet problems is an enjoyable and satisfying experience but is often overshadowed but the very limited time there is to speak with an individual customer.
Pros
flexible availability, easy work, educational.
Cons
scheduling, low paying, unrewarding.
PetStore - retail, Dog grooming, Dog Traing and PetsHotel
Store Director (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 6, 2014
PetSmart is a very busy and lively retail environment which allows people to bring their pets into the store. There are several different aspects to this company from Dog training to Grooming and the PetsHotel. All of the PetSmart associates and managers have a great love for animals which in turn creates a very happy, positive work environment. This is a great option for students who love animals to seek employment. There is much room for advancement for individuals looking to stay within the retail and PetCare environment.
Pros
the animals and the customers. staff training.
Nice place to work
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 10, 2015
Stock room needs more attention before shutting down at night, but otherwise great workplace.
One of the managers didnt seem all too interested in animals.
A structured workplace that recognizes commitment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
There are three main aspects about working as a PetSmart associate, greeting and helping costumers in any way possible, working the till, and keeping shelves stocked.While working there I learned storage and organizational techniques, how to face, how to safely operate a forklift, how to operate the cash register, as well as a great deal to do with pet supplies, especially food. In terms of management, the first half of the time I worked here they ran the store like a well-oiled machine whereas the second half they were confused and disorganized. The people I worked with were almost always fun and friendly, many having pets themselves.The hardest part of the job was moving large amount of food and cat litter onto the shelves before the store opened. The thing I enjoyed the most about working here was meeting people and the pets they brought into the store.
Pros
interaction with the animals that come into the store.
Cons
cleaning up animal waste, minimal training.
It was a fabulous place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2014
A typical day at work involved working with the public at the cash register, stocking shelves, and cleaning. I learned more information on dealing with animals and handling of dangerous chemicals. Management was pleasant, professional, and always ready help in any way they could. Co-workers were also well trained, pleasant, professional. The hardest part of my job was the high turn-over in part-time staff. It seemed as though I would just get to know them and then they were off to a higher paying job. My absolutely favorite part of the job was working with people and animals.
Bad
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMarch 22, 2015
The management is all over the place (most of the time the managers don't show up), gossip and inappropriate jokes are the only form of communication among the staff, everybody seemingly loves and hates each other at the same time, if you try to avoid all of this you are treated like dirt. One of the worst places to work, reminds me of all of the worst aspects of going to high school.