PetSmart
1,336 reviews

PetSmart Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced yet fun environment where you meet amazing pets and their parents.
Manager (Former Employee), VAAugust 30, 2014
Pros: animals, regular pet parents and the associates
Cons: not enough hours for coverage. sometimes disgruntled pet parents
A place where pet parents can connect with other pet parents. Where the customers appreciate your knowledge. A place where you learn something new everyday. Mostly a family atmosphere, of course there is always a couple associates who were not so family oriented but that is anywhere. The most enjoyable part is meeting all of the pets that come in and – more... the love they give. It makes it all worth while knowing you can make a difference in a pets life just by helping their mom or dad find what they need. – less
Animals are great!
Pet Stylist (Current Employee), norfolk vaAugust 27, 2014
Pros: vacations and benefits
Cons: can get bit, or defecated on
I enjoy my hands on work when I groom the dogs. I learn how to communicate with customers as well as schedule appointments! Despite what people think when you say you are a dog groomer, I do not play with the dogs but on some occasions I do get a snuggle in and sometimes play with the other criters in the store as well! the hardest part of my job just – more... like any other customer service job is you cant please everyone no matter how hard you try. – less
overall enjoyed working with the animals
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee), East Hanover, NJAugust 27, 2014
Pros: the dogs
Cons: needed more workers
My typical day was to wake up early, get some coffee, head into work, grab some leashes, took the dogs to go to the bathroom while also sanitizing and cleaning their rooms. I would also be called up front to bring the dogs checking in into the kennel. Then I would go bring the dogs into the specified playrooms and supervise and interact with them. Also – more... had to make sure they didn't get into fights, but it did happen. I learned how to safely break up those fights without either me or the dogs getting hurt. After playtime was done, I would clean and sanitize the playroom and then go on lunch break. After my break I would be doing laundry and dishes and checking on the dogs who didn't go into playtime and clean their rooms if needed. I learned how to work hard and clean thoroughly and stay organized. The most enjoyable part of the job was being with the dogs. All of the co-workers worked together very well, but the management staff was a bunch of people (younger than me mostly) of whom eventually made the work environment emotionally painful and unbearable. – less
good
Presentation Manager (Current Employee), Taylor, MIAugust 27, 2014
Very energetic place to work. Enjoyable co workers. Fast pace advancement.
Fun and interesting environment!
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee), Beaverton, ORAugust 26, 2014
Pros: care cards showing who has done a great job! the teamwork!
Cons: not enough hours
This job is great to go to every day. Whether it is working with customers or working with animals I always keep a great attitude. I love getting to handle animals that normally not everyone would get the opportunity to work with on a daily basis. I've learned so much from this position alone!
its always busy
Store Manager (Current Employee), Madison, WIAugust 25, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: no balance
your part of the team, you are able to control your own business
Got to have fun with the dogs
Overnight Hotel Associate (Former Employee), Issaquah, WAAugust 25, 2014
Pros: free lunch on graveyard
Cons: heater went off at night so it was freezing
I enjoyed working with the dogs and the challenge it provided.
Understaffed and low-paying, but a great group of people to work with
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee), Stevenson Ranch, CAAugust 25, 2014
Pros: management really tries taking availbility into account in scheduling, breaks are stressed at the store, working with dogs
Cons: low pay, infrequent staffing, little opportunities for advancement
A typical day at work involves me ringing up an average of 30 transactions an hour. Like all retailers, the customers vary from the incredibly kind and considerate, to the short fuses, to those who are less communicative than a wall. One problem I have, which I blame corporate for more than any of the store management, is that there seems to be improper – more... staffing at times we need it the most. Often, there is rarely ever more than one person on the floor, one person in pet care, and one person on register. This makes it a lot more difficult for me to properly do my job when many (impatient) customers have yet to get help.

That being said, I have few negative things to say about the management or the co-workers. The management really does work with your life/school schedule, and the co-workers are almost always supportive and willing to help.

The hardest part of the job is definitely juggling the multiple tasks (and customers) at hand during times when we are insufficiently staffed. Another frustrating part of the job is the fact that promotions are few and far between, and raises are almost negligible.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the overall positive energy emanating from the management and co-workers. Oh, and of course the dogs. – less
Fun place to work, a lot of responsibility
Dog trainer, Pet care (Current Employee), South ElginAugust 25, 2014
Pros: animal care
Cons: a lot of work for little pay
I found it is a very laborious job. It involves a lot of responsibility. It is fun and rewarding to be so needed by all of the animals, and having answers for the pet parents.
The best JOB
Cashier (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYAugust 22, 2014
Pros: the managers are fair, co workers was so nice. very adaptive.
Cons: could not get full time.
This was the best job for me because my managers were very understanding and as well I got along with all my co workers. I had a time when I left the job because of school but when I needed a job again, they had offer me my job back which I was really grateful.
They don't care about their associates.
DC Associate (Former Employee), Reno NVAugust 22, 2014
Pros: decent starting pay vacation time.
Cons: don't care about you, low raises or no raise at all. write you up for anything.
All they care about is numbers and then when you have an accident to keep up with their unrealistic goals they let you go. They don't give you good raises if you even get a raise. If you question anything there or make suggestions they try to turn it around any say you are complaining.
good
cashier (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXAugust 21, 2014
I got to learn how to use cash registers and stock and i loved being around the pets and dogs that come in the store
Work experience at PetSmart
Stock/Recieving/Cashier/Coustomer Service (Former Employee), Bradley, ILAugust 20, 2014
Pros: 15% discount for employees.
Cons: poor camaraderie, communication, and management
-As a stock/receiver and occasional cashier. A typical day at work was interaction with customers, handling different forms of payment, and working in receiving was a job that depended on speed, efficiency, and order.

- I learned how to manage my time to the best of my abilities and I learned interesting facts about the animals.

- Management was not – more... very good at this particular PetSmart. They treated the Receiving/Stock team like we we're machines setting unrealistic goals and standards. A good day in receiving still was not good enough. Management always said we we're not fast enough even if we finished on time or ahead of schedule! Management constantly bickered behind employees backs I know this because they did a lot or the bickering in the receiving room, they acted like as if I couldn't hear them. Management also gave more hours to the younger employees. Which we're all females between 18-19 years old, and still lived with their parents. ( the store manager and operations manager are both male by the way.) The older employees constantly received fewer hours then the young kids, besides a select few like the pet trainers and groomers. Management would often call employees out on the sales floor during store hours in front of customers and other employees, rather then call them into the office. This was generally the Operations Manager and the Pet Care Specialist Manager, and on occasion the Store Manager. None of the other managers ever did this type of thing.

-Most co-workers we're enjoyable to work with especially the cashiers, Presentation Manager and the Stock team.

- This job was fairly easy besides the constant nagging from the Store and Operations Managers.

- Most enjoyable part of this job was Cashiering, and honestly clocking out/lunch. – less
Work
Team Leader/Stocker (Former Employee), Savannah, GAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: good and friendly enviroment
Cons: not good hours
Not long hours and you really cant provide for your family off of the hours given
Safe
Pet Care Specialist/Front Counter (Former Employee), mesquite, txAugust 19, 2014
Took care of pets and played with the. Learned pets are humans to we have to take care of them like we would take care of our self. Nice friendly people. dealing with big dogs. Playing and interacting with the pets and there parents
Bait and Switch
Operations Manager (Former Employee), 7th Circle of HadesAugust 19, 2014
It took 5 interviews over 3 months to get hired. The Store Manager I was supposed to work for ended up getting transferred 3 weeks after I finished my training. The salary I was offered was way below the minimum expectation I had put out for them during the interview process, I had to counter offer and they still didn't meet my minimum. The District – more... Manager that "hired" me I never saw again as he left the company between offering me the job and my actual start date. The temporary DM barely knew me and I was judged harshly based on a disgruntled manager's opinion of me and somehow I was doomed before I started. yes, I made some mistakes. There is A LOT to learn and a lot is put on the shoulders of an Operations Manager. Not really sure what a Store Manager was supposed to do because Operations, Pet Products, Presentation Manager and Pet Care Managers did everything. – less
Good Place to work
Picker (Current Employee), Groveport, OHAugust 19, 2014
Job was okay the management was great! Employees was great to work around they helped out alot when needed. The hardest part of the job was the lifting. The most enjoyable part of the job was the breaks.
fun place to work
Cashier, customer service (Former Employee), murfreesboro tnAugust 19, 2014
opening the register making sure your work area is clean and has all the supplies you need, greet customers. talk to customers play with their pets provide customer service.
Fun and busy
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee), Cedar Park, TXAugust 18, 2014
There was a big work load for the little amount of time given. I enjoyed working with the animals and helping the store gain credibility by higher ups. Management seemed all over the place and depended a lot on the associates. I had the opportunity to gain new skills and knowledge which is much appreciated. It was a fun environment and everyone was, – more... at times, very relaxed and easy going. You are never not doing anything. Every minute of the day is busy and if you think you're done, think again. – less
Dog Trainer (Former Employee), Willow Grove, PAAugust 18, 2014
Received a lot of hands on training as well as accredited training through the corporation. The compensation could've been better, but I did get a lot of clients in the door because it was publicly advertised. Worked at 3 different stores. Longest I worked for the company was one year straight (Oct '09 -Oct '10) at the Jacksonville, NC store. I left – more... the stores because of my husband's job relocating. – less

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more