PetSmart Employee Reviews

Pet trainer
Certified Pet Trainer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga9 April 2013
This is a great part time job as it allows me to be helpful to people and make a positive impact in the lives of our customers and their pets. The people are wonderful and the animals are even better!
Cons
not enough hours. no benefits
working at petsmart
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough2 September 2015
it was fun to work at petsmart people there are supportive and reliable, they encourage you to do better.
a typical day at work would involve caring for the animals and preparing cages and food/water and clean environment, providing information and educating customers on products and animals.
the hardest part of the job i would say is time management with trying to get your daily duties done and assisting customers at the same time.
the most enjoyable part is knowing you are helping people and give a new animal a good and healthy home
Pros
working with animals
Cons
inconsistant
Awesome products, great staff
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chatham14 October 2015
Worked with fantastic people, management is amazing and will work with you to the best of their abilities. The products are great and you are always being updated on products and receive additional training if needed. You are kept up to date on on-going issues and product incentives so that you are able to help customers in the best way possible.
Pros
Staff, management, store layout
Cons
scheduling conflicts
working around animals and with my coworkers was always fun
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2015
A typical day at work was always fun as there was always new stories being told by the customers that would come in and there puppies or the animal that they owned i learned alot about the different types of food and nutrients that animals need. My coworkers were always fun to be around they always left there bad mood at the front door and there was always laughter at work.The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people and their pets.
Pros
meeting new people and staff
Cons
not having enough staff
Worst experience ever
bather (Former Employee) –  Edmonton16 December 2014
I worked there for 2 months in the grooming salon as a bather. The girls I worked with we're absolutely horrible. They made up lies about me to management to try and get me fired saying I was taking four to five breaks a day when I was barely getting one because I was so over scheduled. I had Absolutely no training and when I had a difficult dog the manager would just stand and stare at me as though I was incompetent! She even told me that she was upset she had to close with me because she hated me. How nice of her!
They are cruel to the animals they yell at the call them names and are extremely rough with them
I couldn't take it anymore
Pros
Cons
everythibg
Productive workplace and really enjoyed the instore pets along with the walkin pets which made for an energized work enviroment.
Stock and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS30 September 2015
Supportive management with positive direction.
Co-workers were very friendly and we all worked with a great team spirit. Constructive feedback was given often which helped me personally grow and develop strong work ethics.
My day at Petsmart.
stocker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 September 2015
Unload trucks first thing early in the morning. Then with my team i make a plan on who will work each skid and what time it all needs to be completed by. Management was good, always looked out for us and were always making sure we were working safe and telling us how to interact with customers and make sales. Hardest part of the job is having multiple set goals and having them to complete them while offering customers help in the store. Great team.
Fantastic culture, always a happy place to be.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 May 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed my employment. Positive colleagues and positive customers MOST of the time. Mind you, it IS retail, there are good days and bad.. Recent sale of company makes for MASS changes to structure. Minimum wage to start. Management was good, sometimes lacking adequate communication, not only among themselves, but with the entire team. All around good place though. Lots of contests, engagement, I've personally won a few times. Unfortunately hours are always short, and on hand staff is always a bare minimum, one in small animals, one on cash, one or two managers. Making it hard to help customers all the time.
Pros
Puppies
Cons
Minimum wage, inconsistent schedule, lack of communication
Fun place to work
Cashier and Core Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 June 2015
There were too many managers in such a short amount of time (8 months). There was too much change, and it was too hard to adjust to. The customers were great though. If only management treated me fairly and didn't lie to my face multiple times about advancing with the company. After several meetings with the store manager in hopes to advance in the company, 3 years later nothing had happened. They led me on and kept my hopes up, and weren't even disappointed that I resigned.
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Everything about the company and how they manage employees
Working with animals big and small is fun and rewarding
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, Ontario17 June 2015
I have become an integral part of the management team.
I lead the culture and I am passionate in regards to my work and environment.
I have focused my efforts on customer service, team building and coaching for success.
I have many duties and follow them according to Petsmart's policies and procedures.
I work approximately 55 to 60 hours a week.
Pros
Working with dogs
Cons
working and not being able to take lunch breaks
Answer phone, groom dogs, clean. Overall not bad if your managers are decent.
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 March 2013
At work I would answer phone calls, usually to book an appointment or to give quotes. During a check in, I would look over the dogs coat, skin, teeth, nails and ears and make suggestions\express concerns for grooming. Example, If a dogs coat is matted and I have to shave him\her I would explain to the owner what matts are, what matts do to the skin, how it effects the dog physically and emotionally, what to expect and how to prevent matts in the future. Then I would suggest special shampoos and conditioners to help the irritated skin. During check out I will go over what the dog coat was like, how it is now, what to expect and how to maintain skin\coat at home. Other duties involved cleaning, helping other groomers if they have a difficult dog, showing customers the products we sell, training new employees.

Although I went to college for animal care I also went to the petsmart grooming acedemy there I learned how to groom dogs. I learned customer service skills.

Coworkers are great and we get along well.

Dog grooming in general is not an easy job. You definitely need patience with the dogs and customers, you need a strong stomach (its not a glamours job by any means), you also need confidence and knowledge about animal behavior. One of the hardest things is dealing with an aggressive dog. Not only do you need fast reflexes, but its important to be very careful. Sometimes it can not be done, but if it does get done it is very rewarding.

The most enjoyable part is building the relationships with the dogs and owners. Working in a team environment.
Pros
benefits, employee of the month gets a chocolate bar or a drink, sometimes there is a service selling competition and whoever wins gets a prize
Cons
long hours, even if extremly slow people who work on commission have to stay the whole day
cashier in a pet store
Cashier / Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2015
Unique. Exciting. Inspiring. Petsmart are packed with compassionate animal lovers.

The Cashier provides tremendous service by perfectly buzzing up purchases and replying phones.

The person must be at ease and particular when running with math and money.

I am confident in proposing other products and services to Pet Parents that will meet their needs I also must guarantee that each one of the customer obtains exceptional service by welcoming and recognizing all customer, upholding dazzling standards, and each and every other aspects of customer service.
Pros
greeting pets all the time
Cons
not challenged
A productive and fun workplace that recognizes commitment and hard work
Presentation Manager (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON15 April 2013
There are three essential parts to working as a PetSmart associate:

1) greeting and helping costumers in any way possible
2) educating a pet parent
3) helping a customer find what they need and leave satisfied

It is a work environment that allows you to express your love for animals and work hand in hand with them as they visit the store daily. My knowledge in pet food, pet management, and care of all animals as increased. The people I work with are almost always fun and friendly, many having pets themselves.The hardest part of the job is that it can be very physically demanding, but the best part of the job is making someone leave the store with a smile.
Pros
a family like culture
Cons
a large work load with sharp deadlines
Fun workplace
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 January 2016
I enjoy going into work because i get to interact with both pets and pet parents (as we call them). The co workers are great and makes working enjoyable.
An entertaining and rewarding experience with great staff and opportunity
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 January 2015
I held this job for about 2 months while I studying abroad in Canada. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did, and it was unfortunate that I had to leave as soon as I did due to personal reasons. I loved being able to share my pet knowledge with customers, and often times it made people very happy that I took a little extra time to explain to them the differences between certain products. I really enjoyed the staff, as they made it very easy to learn on the job. A typical day included:

Counting register
Handling cash
Handling returns and exchanges
Promoting Pet Perks rewards card
Lifting objects of at least 25 pounds
Stocking shelves
Facing merchandise
Displaying products in a creative/fun manner
Emptying trash
Pros
Great staff, friendly management, great pay, flexible hours
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Unfortunate Experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 December 2013
At work as a cashier I would help customers find products, answer questions, answer the phone, and complete transactions. I learned how to operate a cash register and a lot of helpful information for pet help and care.
Management was not well. Aside from being switched often, many are rude and childlike, talking about employees and fellow staff behind their back to employees and customers. They rarely would help staff, aside from a select few, and were generally lazy and rude.
Most of my coworkers got a long, however as mostly only females are hired, there was a lot of drama that management did not handle well. It was more like high school again.
The hardest part of the job was sucking up what you know is right and doing as you're told, because management really just doesn't care.
However, happy customers and adorable animals always could make a day get better.
Pros
Customers are happy and the animals are always a great benefit to be around!
Cons
Management needs sensitivity training and needs to hire a range of cultures.
More words but less action.
Pet Products Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2014
An excellent work place will be a place where u feel at home and work with people who love your presence. But the structure of a firm where your voice is not heard, no love and communication exists, there is no motivation to work and no free growth as expressed by the firm, such establishment is not the perfect working environment.
Co-workers do not understand and speak with each other, the management act as dictators while what is promised is not offered such as possibility of growth. The hardest part of the job is performing your task and that of others but yet, still being criticized and unappreciated.
Pros
None.
Cons
You are on your own and can be kicked out any time if your voice your concerns.
A fun job that always kept you busy
Pet Product Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 July 2014
My day of work would usually consist of stocking the shelves, make sure anything that wasn't on the shelves got stocked if we had it in stock. Helped the customers find what they needed and if they needed help carrying the time out would do that for them. The days were hard working, but my co-workers made it a fun time to be at work. Management was always busy dealing with orders coming in, but would also help us out if we needed it. Did their best to make sure we had what we needed to make the store run as smoothly as possible. Hardest part of the job would be when we didn't have what people wanted and not being able to satisfy their needs
Pros
Always something to do, great people to work with
Cons
Not being able to please everyone
Horrible Management
STOCK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  sherwood park26 June 2015
I worked here as an early morning stock crew for a month because the management was so awful. I was the only team member that would work to meet targets and when they were not met i was the one who mostly got yelled at. Also the wage was awful for getting up at 3am and carrying bags of dog food all day. The pets were nice and so were the clients and other co workers.
Pros
animals
Cons
management, wage, hours
PetSmart Inc. is a retail chain engaged in the sales of speciality pet supplies and services including dog training, grooming, cat and dog boarding an
Accredited Area Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC22 August 2015
I enjoyed working for this company, the customers are fun and getting to know their pets makes the job a fun one to come to each day. While there is a pattern to the daily work the customers and unexpected make the job anything but boring.
Pros
the great animals and pet parents
Cons
cleaning up pet urine