PetSmart

PetSmart Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Pet Retail
Operations Manager (Current Employee), New HampshireJanuary 22, 2015
There is never a dull moment. At times, there most difficult part of my job is getting my associates to manage their time effectively and making sure they understand that the customer comes first. There are many days where this can be tough for me, too, as the company has become more demanding of time while cutting hours (this is seems to be happening all over the retail world). The best part is by far seeing the animals that venture into the store, along with helping customers with questions on the proper care of their animals. It can be very rewarding.
Another job doing what i loved
Pet Care Specialist & Cashier (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: working with animals
Cons: management didnt respect i had health issues during pregnancy
I got to work with the animals up til i was five months which i developed pre-eclampsia and caused my feet to swell something offer which then i moved to be a cashier and sat on a stool which i later had to leave when i was six months pregnant due to doctor putting me on bed rest
retail hours
Cashier/Petcare (Former Employee), Pembroke Pines, FLJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: discounts on pet food
Cons: short lunch break, pay is horrible because part time hours are about 18 hours a week.
Ringing up people at the cash register can drain you especially if you do it for 6 hours straight. Hardest part was standing around doing nothing for a couple hours. Most enjoyable part was getting to talk to fellow co-workers.
Very chaotic environment with constant change of management
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: working with pets and helping customers
Cons: very disorganized management
I enjoyed my job but it was very difficult to deal with the constant changing of management. It seemed like there was new department and/or store managers every couple of weeks. It was difficult to get a good relationship built with them.
Great oppurtunity to grow with the company.
Support Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great team to work with.
Cons: cleaning up dog fecal matter.
Fast paced, busy work, with plenty of heavy lifting exercise. The most enjoyable part of the job was working overnights building plan-o-grams and working the freight. I learned to reintegrate canines back into my life after having been attacked by one previously to working at Petsmart. My management and leader skills were finely tuned in the two years with the company.
It's okay depending what store you are in.
Senior Pet Care Specialist (SPCS) (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: hourly pay rate is good compared to other retails. yearly raises.
Cons: part timers do not get benefits. full time positions are not available as much.
The job is enjoyable overall for a retail job. Tons of customer service. Hours fluctuate depending on the business. Mandatory overnight shifts if needed. Tons of responsibility. Depending on which store your in, management could be great or bad. If management is great, the job is easy-going. If management is bad, they could be a bit annoying about policies and procedures and really stuck to the companies' rules and regulations.
Not the best place to work but can be decent.
Stocking/Cashier (Former Employee), Williston, VTJanuary 20, 2015
Not many positive things I can say about this job unfortunately. I was hired as a stocker that was told I would be a FT employee. That quickly turned into PT. When I sought more hours, the manager told he would get me into a program where I would be driving the kitties they have back and forth from the veterinary they get them from. I loved this idea....only to find out a week or two later after calling the actual vet, he made no call to them. I was hurt and disappointed to be lied to. I asked to be put on cashier and they did but barely. I was lied to on multiple occasions and asked them what was going on? They proceeded to cut my hours down to 3 hours per week rather than discuss any problems or issues they had with me rather than let me go outright. They clearly have favorites. I was upset with this place. Giving them a 2 star rating was considerate I felt.
On the flip side, I made a few good quality friends from this job which I still have to this day. Working hard behind the scenes doing grunt work while learning quickly where everything is to help guests as well as team members was a key quality I learned. Having morning pre-opening meetings/huddles was a great thing they did that put everyone on the same page. They had trivia questions about the stores and offered prizes to those who got them right. Without a doubt the best part of this job. Doing your absolute best while respecting everyone around you showed that sometimes it does pay off.
What I learned?
Stock Clerk (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 20, 2015
I've learn more about dogs then I have ever known in my life. I also learn about the different types of dog food they sell what you should by and shouldn't buy your god.
petsmart is a great place to work in the early stages of your life.
Professional Bather (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Cons: getting bit for less pay
bathing dogs and trying not to get bit.
sexist. Mostly women work there.
Management are non responsive
hardest part of the job is trying not to get bit.
fun work place
Cashier (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TexasJanuary 20, 2015
It's a fun place to work where you are surrounded by all kinds of animals all day. They take their time to work with you until you understand what you are fully doing. Management is great and works with you the best they can with any issues you may have. Hardest part of the job is just having crazy hours. You don't really have "set" hours, they just kind of put you whenever they need you. You may work several morning shifts, then get thrown some nights shifts. I loved being able to play with the animals all day long and getting to help customers find new stuff for their little fur babies!
Toxic environment
Pet Care Manager (Former Employee), FloridaJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: easy advancement, easy to learn the job.
Cons: poor store management, low wages, always short staffed, racism of some employees.
The culture is toxic with many of the front line management having little to no formal people management training. Employees are subjected to performing tasks in several departments each day due to poor scheduling. Very little support from management when dealing with offensive and personal issues.
Loved working here
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great company
Cons: in retail you tend to have to work holidays
I advanced quickly at my job here. Of course any job working with animals and people is a win win to me. I found it to be rewarding helping people with their pets needs and help them understand their pets more,
Great job for animal lovers!
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee), Glendora, CAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: request time off, management, coworker, work life.
Cons: low pay wage.
Management is great!

I loved my coworkers.

I recieved the time off I requested.

The pets were always easy to handle.
have to be productive
Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ILJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: short breaks
Favoritism is a key role in this company. Learned that you can show up everyday and never be late and still get fired!! Management is horrible if they don't like you they look for a reason to fire you. Stay out of inbound!!! Hardest part about the job was lifting the heavy boxes continuously for 10hrs. Most enjoyable part about the job is break time.
Lessons
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee), Ontario, CAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: hands on, and mostly "on your own" work enviorment
Cons: management, pay, advancement opportunities
Worked at quite a few stores in my area, Ontario (California) Pets Hotel being the best, Corona's Grooming was a great experience overall, but Eastvale's Grooming was by far the absolute worst.

The groomers are super friendly and the customer/clients are wonderful, but the management (both store management and grooming management), and training are horrible! They play favorites, WILL tell you to your face that they'll make your days still working there "h*** 'till you find something else", and do not give the proper employees the advancement that they deserve.

After 2 years of working at the Eastvale Facility, i left to be so much happier in Ontario.

Even though i've gone on to bigger better things than the PetSmart Corporation, they definitely have taught me some lifetime career lessons.
Family orientated place!
petcare/cashier (Former Employee), Merriam, KSJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: family oriented, flexible on sceduling, good benifits, positive environment
Cons: loose going
Petsmart at Merrium,Kansas has help me grow through the years of me working there. I have learned to trust your employee's and always work as a team! Team work is everything there you have to be able to communicate and understand your co workers. I have learned you treat customers as if they were your family, show them the up most respect and always stay true to your word. The daily deeds of working at petsmart is always finish your obligations and always connect with the customers. I have work in the pet-care department for a year now and i absolutely love it! we have customers they just stop by to tell us how their pet is doing and ect. the most important part of this job is helping the customer with any question they have, so we must always have knowledge on a broad spectrum of animals
petsmart is a great place to learn and grow if you have passion for animals! you ill always feel welcomed and love by all our associates!.
productive days, fun place to work at
Cashier (Current Employee), Hiram, GAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: sometimes the managers will buy everyone lunch, nice people
Cons: not enough hours
Very good job to work for. Co-workers and managers are very helpful and fun to be around. The only downfall is the hours for a cashier.
Great job, if you dont mind the hours
PetCare Manager (Former Employee), CaliforniaJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: breaks for managment not giving at night, lack of associates during peak hours, high expectations for managers to be everywhere
Great job to develop for 3-5 years, hours are hard (In one week you will start a 3 am twice, then start at 130 pm to close then 7pm for an overnight), cutting hours with associates makes meeting expected goals in customer service hard,
Great Place to work with animals
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee), Beaumont, TXJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: flexible with school, management was very good
Cons: employees come and go frequently (college students)
Although you have your normal cats and dogs, at Petsmart I got to work with all sorts of animals. It was my job to take care of them and teach others the proper care for them. At the location I worked, the entire Petsmart team seemed to be very friendly and very helpful. The manager actually takes more time to care for his employees than most other managers I have worked for. The hardest part of the job was waking up early to feed the animals or change out bedding. This involves having to be there 3 hours before the store opens. The best part about working here is seeing the smile on a child's face when you help them pick out their first pet.
I enjoyed everyday
Cashier/ Grooming Salon (Former Employee), woodhaven,MIJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: always fun, learned a lot, flexible schedule, got to be surrounded by pets all the time.
Cons: short breaks
Getting to know the pets and pet parents as well as educating the pet parent on the best choices for their pets relationship and health. I was taught a lot about looking for key ingredients in food that best fit the pets needs and pet parents budget. Seeing a lot of the same customers helped build trusting relationships with the pet parent as well as the pets. As usual you have some co-workers who slack and cause others to pick up more of the load, but 95% of the people that worked with me were very friendly.

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more