PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun
associate (Former Employee) –  ONMarch 27, 2015
This company treats their employees very well. They are very considerate and caring; the CARE culture really comes through even with employees. They go out of their way to give you an enjoyable job and teach new skills and keep perfecting them. I, as well as my co-workers and managers have always treated each other with mutual respect and kindness and they seem more like friends than coworkers, as everyone gets along so well and works toward company goals as a team. I am very grateful to have worked here.
Pros
pets, discount, flexible, understanding
Cons
low wages, few hours available
Bad
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMarch 22, 2015
The management is all over the place (most of the time the managers don't show up), gossip and inappropriate jokes are the only form of communication among the staff, everybody seemingly loves and hates each other at the same time, if you try to avoid all of this you are treated like dirt. One of the worst places to work, reminds me of all of the worst aspects of going to high school.
Early stock Associate & Sales Associate
Early Morning Stocker & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMarch 20, 2015
Well, need to wake up very early in the morning to get to work on time at 5 am. Need to check existing stock and to replace sold goods. Manage time and to complete work. Team work.
pet care
Pet Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  edmonton abFebruary 28, 2015
my typical day was working with and cleaning the animals habitats, had to be knowledgeable about what that animal requires to strive
great place
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  london onFebruary 16, 2015
Loved my job, miss it every day. amazing staff and hilarious customers, always something to do and just a great place overall
was okay
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABFebruary 9, 2015
days at work were long, co-workers were amazing, manager was horrible, hardest part of the job is when there were no customers.
loved my training job
Pet Training Instructor/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2015
I instructed customers on how to train their dogs...helped them locate items they were, looking for. I gave advise on food choices, collars etc anything to do with their dogs
Pros
loved working with animals
Cons
not enough hours
Great workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 5, 2015
Learn new things every day, happy to see customers come in with their pets and leave satisfied.Employers always knew the regular customers and exactly what they want
An entertaining and rewarding experience with great staff and opportunity
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 29, 2015
I held this job for about 2 months while I studying abroad in Canada. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did, and it was unfortunate that I had to leave as soon as I did due to personal reasons. I loved being able to share my pet knowledge with customers, and often times it made people very happy that I took a little extra time to explain to them the differences between certain products. I really enjoyed the staff, as they made it very easy to learn on the job. A typical day included:

Counting register
Handling cash
Handling returns and exchanges
Promoting Pet Perks rewards card
Lifting objects of at least 25 pounds
Stocking shelves
Facing merchandise
Displaying products in a creative/fun manner
Emptying trash
Pros
great staff, friendly management, great pay, flexible hours
Cons
short lunch breaks
was a great place to work
Store Manager / Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJanuary 27, 2015
PetSmart was a great place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff and our customers. Being able to educate our pet parents and staff to ensure that the pets in their care will be able to live a long and happy life. PetSmart provides products and services.
Productive and fun place to work in
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2015
5 stars to PetSmart!
It was a great pleasure working for Proset and PetSmart, merchandising job - greatly assisted my work experiences and took me to the next step in the job market.
Early morning stock, interactive employees.
Support staff (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 4, 2015
Typical days at petsmart is unload skids, stocks shelves, and repack skids, help customers, help pet parents.
Fast paced environment, stressful and multi tasking.
Dog groomer (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, OntarioDecember 29, 2014
A typical day at work would be coming in, doing opening duties: turning on the computers, turning on phones, washing water bowls, letting the shampoos run for a bit, setting up grates for the bath tubs and drains. Checking to see how many dogs you have for the day, to check any availability the appointment book has and answering phone calls. Greeting customers as they walk in and also greeting the dogs that you are about to groom, checking the condition of the coat the dog is in and to see what cut the parent wants. I would open up their previous files to check if vaccinations are up to date and if not, to fill them in or call the vet. Reviewing what the parents wants done and printing out the service card and to make them sign the card on agreeing the length, type of cut, information is correct and the time that the dog will be done. While grooming the dog, customers would come in for walk-in services, phones would be ringing, checking in and our your other dogs all at the same time, also making sure the first dog gets out at the time the parent signed for. For closing duties: filing the service cards in the proper order, cleaning the salon, using disinfectant to clean the kennels, tables and tools, shutting down computers, cleaning the bathtubs and drains and sweeping/ vacuum hair from the floor and plugging in the phones to charge. I have learnt to deal with complains and issues, also how to deal with stressful situations. For a few months we were on and off with managers, until recently we got a permanent manager. She dealt with complaints and handled scheduling well. Overall  more... management they were friendly and made the work space comfortable. My co-workers were fun and comfortable to work with. The hardest part of the job would be trying to handle biting and aggressive dogs. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a bond with the dogs and getting kisses and love from them.  less
Pros
friendly staff, comfortable to work, reward cards
Cons
aggressive dogs
Worst experience ever
bather (Former Employee) –  EdmontonDecember 16, 2014
I worked there for 2 months in the grooming salon as a bather. The girls I worked with we're absolutely horrible. They made up lies about me to management to try and get me fired saying I was taking four to five breaks a day when I was barely getting one because I was so over scheduled. I had Absolutely no training and when I had a difficult dog the manager would just stand and stare at me as though I was incompetent! She even told me that she was upset she had to close with me because she hated me. How nice of her!
They are cruel to the animals they yell at the call them names and are extremely rough with them
I couldn't take it anymore
Cons
everythibg
A living nightmare
Groomer (Former Employee) –  VancouverNovember 18, 2014
To be honest i would not have given this place any stars. It was an awful experience from start to end. Here are some of the things i endured and observed whilst working here, bullying, drug and alcohol use, small animals left to die, management constantly breaking the rules, little to no support from management, very high staff turnover. I guess thats why they pay minimum wage.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa OntarioNovember 7, 2014
Great place to work. Excellent customer service model. Fast growing.
Just a real mess
Salon Bather, Cashier, Pet Care (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AlbertaNovember 5, 2014
Policies and Procedures are continually preached at you, however, rarely adhered to. Qualified employees are given menial tasks, while inexperienced people are promoted. The only time any work gets done, and the store looks presentable is when the District Manager comes for a visit. Animals aren't looked after, and fish and reptiles are continually sick or dying due to new employees being put into Pet Care with no experience and/or training whatsoever. Store is under-stocked and filthy. Sales are the primary focus, not the animals. Employee turn-around is incredible, and no one seems to stay employed there for long.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
no training, due to no one knowing what they're doing
Excellent place for a summer job.
Pet Products Associate (Current Employee) –  Store 1403November 3, 2014
While nothing about working at Petsmart could really be called difficult. That said job satisfaction will vary widely depending on management and unless you are in management you will not receive enough pay to accomplish anything above subsistence living. The opportunity to help customers find solutions to pet problems is an enjoyable and satisfying experience but is often overshadowed but the very limited time there is to speak with an individual customer.
Pros
flexible availability, easy work, educational.
Cons
scheduling, low paying, unrewarding.
Wonderful place to work!
Pet Products Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONOctober 14, 2014
Everything about working at Petsmart is amazing. From the management to the customers, I have nothing bad to say about any of it. Best part of the job is all the animals that you see everyday.
Realignment Crew
Realignment Crew (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONOctober 7, 2014
We remodeled the whole store. Restocked the store and setup new displays for the whole store. Co-workers were great to work with.
Pros
lead to me getting on at walmart
Cons
contract position