PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

A productive and fun workplace that recognizes commitment and hard work
Presentation Manager (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONApril 15, 2013
There are three essential parts to working as a PetSmart associate:

1) greeting and helping costumers in any way possible
2) educating a pet parent
3) helping a customer find what they need and leave satisfied

It is a work environment that allows you to express your love for animals and work hand in hand with them as they visit the store daily. My knowledge in pet food, pet management, and care of all animals as increased. The people I work with are almost always fun and friendly, many having pets themselves.The hardest part of the job is that it can be very physically demanding, but the best part of the job is making someone leave the store with a smile.
Pros
a family like culture
Cons
a large work load with sharp deadlines
More words but less action.
Pet Products Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 13, 2014
An excellent work place will be a place where u feel at home and work with people who love your presence. But the structure of a firm where your voice is not heard, no love and communication exists, there is no motivation to work and no free growth as expressed by the firm, such establishment is not the perfect working environment.
Co-workers do not understand and speak with each other, the management act as dictators while what is promised is not offered such as possibility of growth. The hardest part of the job is performing your task and that of others but yet, still being criticized and unappreciated.
Pros
none.
Cons
you are on your own and can be kicked out any time if your voice your concerns.
Excellent work experience in dealing with customer service
Cashier/ Stock person (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 30, 2015
This job had taught me greatly about organization and working successfully with others. Doing stock has helped me keep organized, while working on cash has taught me a great deal about excellent customer service.
Unfortunate Experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONDecember 3, 2013
At work as a cashier I would help customers find products, answer questions, answer the phone, and complete transactions. I learned how to operate a cash register and a lot of helpful information for pet help and care.
Management was not well. Aside from being switched often, many are rude and childlike, talking about employees and fellow staff behind their back to employees and customers. They rarely would help staff, aside from a select few, and were generally lazy and rude.
Most of my coworkers got a long, however as mostly only females are hired, there was a lot of drama that management did not handle well. It was more like high school again.
The hardest part of the job was sucking up what you know is right and doing as you're told, because management really just doesn't care.
However, happy customers and adorable animals always could make a day get better.
Pros
customers are happy and the animals are always a great benefit to be around!
Cons
management needs sensitivity training and needs to hire a range of cultures.
Bad
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMarch 22, 2015
The management is all over the place (most of the time the managers don't show up), gossip and inappropriate jokes are the only form of communication among the staff, everybody seemingly loves and hates each other at the same time, if you try to avoid all of this you are treated like dirt. One of the worst places to work, reminds me of all of the worst aspects of going to high school.
A fun job that always kept you busy
Pet Product Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 21, 2014
My day of work would usually consist of stocking the shelves, make sure anything that wasn't on the shelves got stocked if we had it in stock. Helped the customers find what they needed and if they needed help carrying the time out would do that for them. The days were hard working, but my co-workers made it a fun time to be at work. Management was always busy dealing with orders coming in, but would also help us out if we needed it. Did their best to make sure we had what we needed to make the store run as smoothly as possible. Hardest part of the job would be when we didn't have what people wanted and not being able to satisfy their needs
Pros
always something to do, great people to work with
Cons
not being able to please everyone
Excellent place for a summer job.
Pet Products Associate (Current Employee) –  Store 1403November 3, 2014
While nothing about working at Petsmart could really be called difficult. That said job satisfaction will vary widely depending on management and unless you are in management you will not receive enough pay to accomplish anything above subsistence living. The opportunity to help customers find solutions to pet problems is an enjoyable and satisfying experience but is often overshadowed but the very limited time there is to speak with an individual customer.
Pros
flexible availability, easy work, educational.
Cons
scheduling, low paying, unrewarding.
Love the Environment
Customer Service Specialist / Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 5, 2014
Working for PetSmart has its perks, being around animals and making sure that all pet parents have the best possible nutritional value for their pet, regardless of what kind. Customer service would help with customer feel like they can trust employees in regards to their animals .
Pros
position advancement, flexable hours, great co-workers
Cons
slow management process
PetStore - retail, Dog grooming, Dog Traing and PetsHotel
Store Director (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 6, 2014
PetSmart is a very busy and lively retail environment which allows people to bring their pets into the store. There are several different aspects to this company from Dog training to Grooming and the PetsHotel. All of the PetSmart associates and managers have a great love for animals which in turn creates a very happy, positive work environment. This is a great option for students who love animals to seek employment. There is much room for advancement for individuals looking to stay within the retail and PetCare environment.
Pros
the animals and the customers. staff training.
Enjoyable job
Presentation Manager - March 7 2013 (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2015
Good culture and enjoyable workplace. Alot to learn and be accountable for with a large payoff. It takes alot to maintain pet health.
It was a fabulous place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2014
A typical day at work involved working with the public at the cash register, stocking shelves, and cleaning. I learned more information on dealing with animals and handling of dangerous chemicals. Management was pleasant, professional, and always ready help in any way they could. Co-workers were also well trained, pleasant, professional. The hardest part of my job was the high turn-over in part-time staff. It seemed as though I would just get to know them and then they were off to a higher paying job. My absolutely favorite part of the job was working with people and animals.
A structured workplace that recognizes commitment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
There are three main aspects about working as a PetSmart associate, greeting and helping costumers in any way possible, working the till, and keeping shelves stocked.While working there I learned storage and organizational techniques, how to face, how to safely operate a forklift, how to operate the cash register, as well as a great deal to do with pet supplies, especially food. In terms of management, the first half of the time I worked here they ran the store like a well-oiled machine whereas the second half they were confused and disorganized. The people I worked with were almost always fun and friendly, many having pets themselves.The hardest part of the job was moving large amount of food and cat litter onto the shelves before the store opened. The thing I enjoyed the most about working here was meeting people and the pets they brought into the store.
Pros
interaction with the animals that come into the store.
Cons
cleaning up animal waste, minimal training.
Just a real mess
Salon Bather, Cashier, Pet Care (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AlbertaNovember 5, 2014
Policies and Procedures are continually preached at you, however, rarely adhered to. Qualified employees are given menial tasks, while inexperienced people are promoted. The only time any work gets done, and the store looks presentable is when the District Manager comes for a visit. Animals aren't looked after, and fish and reptiles are continually sick or dying due to new employees being put into Pet Care with no experience and/or training whatsoever. Store is under-stocked and filthy. Sales are the primary focus, not the animals. Employee turn-around is incredible, and no one seems to stay employed there for long.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
no training, due to no one knowing what they're doing
Using my skills to go together with the team I am in.
Volunteer and Community Involvement (Current Employee) –  MississaugaApril 23, 2015
My days use to be very busy, and also very grateful, because I like to work with commitment and self-motivated, focused in get a better performance, based on all my skills and companies standards.
In this bases, the team I work within, the clients, the business and I are able to improve the targets.
Rewarding and welcoming work environment
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at work is never that same as the day before. We have various duties and responsibilities that need to be fulfilled by certain times of the day.
Management is understanding about school and respectful of other commitments that associates take on. Co-workers are fun and welcoming.
The hardest part of the job would have to be when faced with an unhappy customer, a stressful situation. My job has given me the freedom to do what it takes to put the customer first.
Seeing happy customers makes my job very enjoyable.
Pros
environment
Cons
3 hour shifts
It's an enjoyable work environment with only a few cons.
Kitten and Cat Adoption Centre Volunteer (Current Employee) –  London, ONOctober 9, 2012
A typical day at work;
Busy, and sometimes wouldn't take that long to finish my task.

What you learned;
Team work, organizational, and multi-tasking skills.

Management;
Volunteers seem to be treated as if they weren't even part of a team.

Your co-workers;
Friendly, and kind.

The hardest part of the job;
Physical aspect.

The most enjoyable part of the job;
Getting to be around animals, and people. Being apart of the general public.
Pros
being around people, and animals, the environment
Cons
physical, and repetitiveness.
They only care about the money
Bather/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMarch 15, 2012
The store was full of drama, the management team were picking on their subordinates. Everyday I would come in to find one of the other employees, my friends, upset about the latest attack. The management team would gloat about ganging up on the employees, and prepare attacks for next time.

I was not happy there. I couldn't keep a positive attitude, and it started to show in my work. I couldn't get dogs dry in the allotted time because I was the go-to when anything in the salon needed to be done.
Pros
working with dogs.
Cons
management.
Loved going to work everyday
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMay 21, 2015
It was a pleasure to go to work everyday. Spending time with pets and Pet parents became part of my life that is and always will be a love of my life
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Very fun and fast paced environment. No two days are ever the same
Cashier/Salon/Pet Care/Customer Service associate, (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 1, 2014
I don't have a typical day at work because I've had the opportunity to work in multiple departments including the grooming salon, at the cash register, in pet care and in customer service. I get to work with both animals and people and I have fun every time I clock in for my shift.

The hardest part of my job is when I cannot help a customer (or pet) with problems they face, health or otherwise. I love making relationships and connections with people and I dislike when I cannot fulfill their needs.

In terms of staff, I work with a group of friendly, knowledge people including managers and other associates. The environment allowed for free communication between all the staff and problems were generally addressed quickly.
Pros
cute animals every day
Cons
sometimes strenuous activity
A living nightmare
Groomer (Former Employee) –  VancouverNovember 18, 2014
To be honest i would not have given this place any stars. It was an awful experience from start to end. Here are some of the things i endured and observed whilst working here, bullying, drug and alcohol use, small animals left to die, management constantly breaking the rules, little to no support from management, very high staff turnover. I guess thats why they pay minimum wage.