PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Management is the key
Salon Manager, Groomer, Presentation Manager (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABSeptember 13, 2015
This company is great to work for IF you have a good store manager. A bad one kills the entire team and the higher management doesn't seem to see that.
Fantastic culture, always a happy place to be.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 2, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed my employment. Positive colleagues and positive customers MOST of the time. Mind you, it IS retail, there are good days and bad.. Recent sale of company makes for MASS changes to structure. Minimum wage to start. Management was good, sometimes lacking adequate communication, not only among themselves, but with the entire team. All around good place though. Lots of contests, engagement, I've personally won a few times. Unfortunately hours are always short, and on hand staff is always a bare minimum, one in small animals, one on cash, one or two managers. Making it hard to help customers all the time.
Pros
Puppies
Cons
Minimum wage, inconsistent schedule, lack of communication
Great Environment with lot of opportunity for advancement!
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLApril 30, 2015
Great part-time job.
Many departments to work in (Cash, Stock, Pet Care, Management) and ability to cross-train!
I was in every department as I was needed.
Somedays you felt run off your head but that made the shift go by faster.
Cleaning up after other peoples dogs is not fun but cuddling puppies makes up for it.
Hours were flexible and great with working around my school schedule.
Pros
Puppies, Hours, Staff
Cons
Cleaning up after animals
amazing staff and the customers were awesome
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJune 6, 2015
the best part of my day was getting to see the variety of dogs, the staff were awesome like a family, for the most part the management was fair. I learned a lot about animal health and the benefits of high quality foods.
Pros
caring environment, stable hours
Cons
seeing animals get treated wrong by owners
Excellent work experience in dealing with customer service
Cashier/ Stock person (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 30, 2015
This job had taught me greatly about organization and working successfully with others. Doing stock has helped me keep organized, while working on cash has taught me a great deal about excellent customer service.
Wonderful Job Experience with Pet Smart
Pet Sitter (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONApril 6, 2015
Volunteering at Pet Smart was such a fun job! I personally love working with animals, and with this job, I gained so much experienced with pets and interaction with people looking to adopt the pets. The reason behind my 1 star for Salary/Benefits was because it was pure volunteer work and I was not paid. My co-workers were also wonderful! The hardest part of the job was having to deal with stray cats who were very viscous! The most enjoyable part of the job was just overall meeting new people and adopting cats!
Pros
Co-workers, Customers, Experience in documenting files
Cons
Mean Cats, small space
Fun
associate (Former Employee) –  ONMarch 27, 2015
This company treats their employees very well. They are very considerate and caring; the CARE culture really comes through even with employees. They go out of their way to give you an enjoyable job and teach new skills and keep perfecting them. I, as well as my co-workers and managers have always treated each other with mutual respect and kindness and they seem more like friends than coworkers, as everyone gets along so well and works toward company goals as a team. I am very grateful to have worked here.
Pros
pets, discount, flexible, understanding
Cons
low wages, few hours available
Using my skills to go together with the team I am in.
Volunteer and Community Involvement (Current Employee) –  MississaugaApril 23, 2015
My days use to be very busy, and also very grateful, because I like to work with commitment and self-motivated, focused in get a better performance, based on all my skills and companies standards.
In this bases, the team I work within, the clients, the business and I are able to improve the targets.
Nice place to work
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 10, 2015
Stock room needs more attention before shutting down at night, but otherwise great workplace.
One of the managers didnt seem all too interested in animals.
Bad
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMarch 22, 2015
The management is all over the place (most of the time the managers don't show up), gossip and inappropriate jokes are the only form of communication among the staff, everybody seemingly loves and hates each other at the same time, if you try to avoid all of this you are treated like dirt. One of the worst places to work, reminds me of all of the worst aspects of going to high school.
Worst experience ever
bather (Former Employee) –  EdmontonDecember 16, 2014
I worked there for 2 months in the grooming salon as a bather. The girls I worked with we're absolutely horrible. They made up lies about me to management to try and get me fired saying I was taking four to five breaks a day when I was barely getting one because I was so over scheduled. I had Absolutely no training and when I had a difficult dog the manager would just stand and stare at me as though I was incompetent! She even told me that she was upset she had to close with me because she hated me. How nice of her!
They are cruel to the animals they yell at the call them names and are extremely rough with them
I couldn't take it anymore
Cons
everythibg
An entertaining and rewarding experience with great staff and opportunity
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 29, 2015
I held this job for about 2 months while I studying abroad in Canada. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did, and it was unfortunate that I had to leave as soon as I did due to personal reasons. I loved being able to share my pet knowledge with customers, and often times it made people very happy that I took a little extra time to explain to them the differences between certain products. I really enjoyed the staff, as they made it very easy to learn on the job. A typical day included:

Counting register
Handling cash
Handling returns and exchanges
Promoting Pet Perks rewards card
Lifting objects of at least 25 pounds
Stocking shelves
Facing merchandise
Displaying products in a creative/fun manner
Emptying trash
Pros
great staff, friendly management, great pay, flexible hours
Cons
short lunch breaks
Just a real mess
Salon Bather, Cashier, Pet Care (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AlbertaNovember 5, 2014
Policies and Procedures are continually preached at you, however, rarely adhered to. Qualified employees are given menial tasks, while inexperienced people are promoted. The only time any work gets done, and the store looks presentable is when the District Manager comes for a visit. Animals aren't looked after, and fish and reptiles are continually sick or dying due to new employees being put into Pet Care with no experience and/or training whatsoever. Store is under-stocked and filthy. Sales are the primary focus, not the animals. Employee turn-around is incredible, and no one seems to stay employed there for long.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
no training, due to no one knowing what they're doing
Excellent place for a summer job.
Pet Products Associate (Current Employee) –  Store 1403November 3, 2014
While nothing about working at Petsmart could really be called difficult. That said job satisfaction will vary widely depending on management and unless you are in management you will not receive enough pay to accomplish anything above subsistence living. The opportunity to help customers find solutions to pet problems is an enjoyable and satisfying experience but is often overshadowed but the very limited time there is to speak with an individual customer.
Pros
flexible availability, easy work, educational.
Cons
scheduling, low paying, unrewarding.
Loved going to work everyday
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMay 21, 2015
It was a pleasure to go to work everyday. Spending time with pets and Pet parents became part of my life that is and always will be a love of my life
Pros
Great atmosphere
Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 19, 2015
I worked here as a student attending SAIT. PetSmart has been very supportive during my time as a student. My managers were very nice and easy to get along with. I always maintained a good report with all of my managers.
A living nightmare
Groomer (Former Employee) –  VancouverNovember 18, 2014
To be honest i would not have given this place any stars. It was an awful experience from start to end. Here are some of the things i endured and observed whilst working here, bullying, drug and alcohol use, small animals left to die, management constantly breaking the rules, little to no support from management, very high staff turnover. I guess thats why they pay minimum wage.
was a great place to work
Store Manager / Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJanuary 27, 2015
PetSmart was a great place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff and our customers. Being able to educate our pet parents and staff to ensure that the pets in their care will be able to live a long and happy life. PetSmart provides products and services.
I truely loved and blieved in the company's mission statement. There were several aspects of the postion I enjoyed and did make a lot of friends.
Lead Core/Shipment Receiver (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONSeptember 15, 2014
The day would usually start very early as stock work would have to be completed before the store opened to the public. The skills I acquired from this position would be employed as I would stage the store with overstock pallets to be worked with the walk-behind forklift. I would then lead my team to work the pallets by accurately stocking the product on store shelves using sku numbers. I was also responsible for receiving and processing new shipments in a similar manner.
More words but less action.
Pet Products Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 13, 2014
An excellent work place will be a place where u feel at home and work with people who love your presence. But the structure of a firm where your voice is not heard, no love and communication exists, there is no motivation to work and no free growth as expressed by the firm, such establishment is not the perfect working environment.
Co-workers do not understand and speak with each other, the management act as dictators while what is promised is not offered such as possibility of growth. The hardest part of the job is performing your task and that of others but yet, still being criticized and unappreciated.
Pros
none.
Cons
you are on your own and can be kicked out any time if your voice your concerns.