PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

cashier in a pet store
Cashier / Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 21, 2015
Unique. Exciting. Inspiring. Petsmart are packed with compassionate animal lovers.

The Cashier provides tremendous service by perfectly buzzing up purchases and replying phones.

The person must be at ease and particular when running with math and money.

I am confident in proposing other products and services to Pet Parents that will meet their needs I also must guarantee that each one of the customer obtains exceptional service by welcoming and recognizing all customer, upholding dazzling standards, and each and every other aspects of customer service.
Pros
greeting pets all the time
Cons
not challenged
Productive place
Support Manager, Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, OntAugust 10, 2015
I am currently working as a Pet Care employee where I manage all the animals, their habitats, preparing their meals and selling to customers. I also managed the store and closed cash, filed paperwork, and managed employee tasks and breaks.
corporate company through and through
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABAugust 10, 2015
I learned a lot working with petsmart. But the overall culture is'nt very professional. Management training is very good at all. I worked for the company for 4 1/2 years and as soon as i made some mistakes they fired me,
Pros
good benifets
Cons
Very high turn over rate
Nice place to work
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 10, 2015
Stock room needs more attention before shutting down at night, but otherwise great workplace.
One of the managers didnt seem all too interested in animals.
Didn't make it past training
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, OntarioJuly 26, 2015
I was so excited to get this job, even though I was leaving something else that was paying better. I got hired and immediately after I got hired store management changed. I liked both managers and assistant managers I met. I had to do testing on the computer before I could go on the floor. I went in twice to do this and both times the program froze and they sent me home. I was told I would get a call when the program was working correctly again.. apparently it was a store wide issue. Two weeks came and went and I didn't receive any phone calls. I called the store and they said it wasn't up and running yet. I found another job and was able to start that before they got the program up and running. Waste of time. Now I don't even go here to shop.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Outdated computer programs.
Rewarding Animal interactions, flexible hours, limited customers interactions, low pay have to work on Holidays.
PetsHotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Innes Road Plaza, 1750 Innes Rd Gloucester, ONJuly 13, 2015
The job is probably the best job I have had in my young life. You supervise the pets of Customers during your shift. Always making sure their rooms are clean, their water is fresh and comforting any dogs or cats that miss their owner. You will be on a walkie talkie at all times with your Petshotel Co workers so you can communicate problems. The earliest shifts start at 7 am and the latest shift ends at 9 pm.There is also Doggie Day Camp. You supervise the playroom for 1-4 hours making sure the dogs play safe, and under control. It can be loads of fun interacting with loving animals but the trade off is you're always cleaning up messes and the smell can be overpowering. Sometimes the room is relatively inactive and lacking stimulation so you can get very bored during the 3-4 hour room supervisions. At times you have to break up dog fights which can be hard to read, and can catch you completely unawares but coworkers do a great job coming to help you so you're not on your own. You also have feedings morning, noon and evening which you prepare among your co workers. Owners will come to pick up their dogs after their day of work so for about 2-3 times a day you will be hurrying around answering calls for a dog and bringing them to their owner.
The pay is minimum and the raises are slow and small. All in all I would say it was a great experience. The only reason I left is because I felt their was no room for advancement in pay or position for an ambitious person such as myself.
Pros
Flexible hours for a student, loving animals, friendly co workers, limited customer interactions. Time and a half on holidays
Cons
Low pay, have to work holidays can be very smelly, sometimes have to break up sudden dog fights.
Excellent work experience in dealing with customer service
Cashier/ Stock person (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 30, 2015
This job had taught me greatly about organization and working successfully with others. Doing stock has helped me keep organized, while working on cash has taught me a great deal about excellent customer service.
Horrible Management
STOCK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  sherwood parkJune 26, 2015
I worked here as an early morning stock crew for a month because the management was so awful. I was the only team member that would work to meet targets and when they were not met i was the one who mostly got yelled at. Also the wage was awful for getting up at 3am and carrying bags of dog food all day. The pets were nice and so were the clients and other co workers.
Pros
animals
Cons
management, wage, hours
Fun place to work
Cashier and Core Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 25, 2015
There were too many managers in such a short amount of time (8 months). There was too much change, and it was too hard to adjust to. The customers were great though. If only management treated me fairly and didn't lie to my face multiple times about advancing with the company. After several meetings with the store manager in hopes to advance in the company, 3 years later nothing had happened. They led me on and kept my hopes up, and weren't even disappointed that I resigned.
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Everything about the company and how they manage employees
Working with animals big and small is fun and rewarding
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, OntarioJune 17, 2015
I have become an integral part of the management team.
I lead the culture and I am passionate in regards to my work and environment.
I have focused my efforts on customer service, team building and coaching for success.
I have many duties and follow them according to Petsmart's policies and procedures.
I work approximately 55 to 60 hours a week.
Pros
Working with dogs
Cons
working and not being able to take lunch breaks
amazing staff and the customers were awesome
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJune 6, 2015
the best part of my day was getting to see the variety of dogs, the staff were awesome like a family, for the most part the management was fair. I learned a lot about animal health and the benefits of high quality foods.
Pros
caring environment, stable hours
Cons
seeing animals get treated wrong by owners
Fun workplace with dedicated workers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, OnMay 27, 2015
A typical day at work starts differently depending on what area you're working in. As a pet care associate, I start my day by feeding all the animals in the store and checking in on any sick animals in the back. This can include giving medication. Depending on the day, I might have to do a full clean (Cleaning the entire section for certain animals: Reptiles, birds, small animals, etc.) This takes about 2 hours and is usually the responsibility of one associate. I would then spend the rest of the day helping customers with any questions and providing them with any materials they would need to own a pet and occasionally selling said pet to them. Upon closing, it's very similar to opening just without the feeding process. Checking on all animals once again, making sure health is optimal and giving any medications needed.

I've learned quite a bit about animals while working at this location, enough to help customers find the perfect animal for their home life and time management.

My co-workers are amazingly fun people to be around.

The hardest part of the job is having someone come in with a very strong idea of what they want and realizing it's not the best choice for them, but being unable to convince them otherwise.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Short shifts
Loved going to work everyday
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMay 21, 2015
It was a pleasure to go to work everyday. Spending time with pets and Pet parents became part of my life that is and always will be a love of my life
Pros
Great atmosphere
Terrible Management!!
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 4, 2015
Job itself is not bad, for the most part the dogs that come into the salon are very sweet. the job is not as glamorous as people think! friends always think groomers play with dogs all day, but you need a strong stomach to deal with half of the stuff you see come through the salon doors. also, be prepared to deal with the mean dogs too. management will tell you when you get hired that you have the right to send any dog home you feel unsafe grooming, then when the time comes they pressure you to complete the groom anyways. management is all money hungry, and our own store manager seems clueless when it comes to dog safety policies, yet he spends all his time worrying about the stores satisfaction ratings and sales plans. if you have any type of problem, don't expect help from your managers. they seem to promote the most unqualified people, leading to a management team that is disorganized and all over the place! also, say goodbye to your weekends (all of them!!) while you are prepared to work here. also, the manager turn over rate is astounding. we had an awesome store manager when i was hired and then they transferred him. on a final note, can i mention that they apparently want to start doing salon schedules a YEAR in advance
Fantastic culture, always a happy place to be.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 2, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed my employment. Positive colleagues and positive customers MOST of the time. Mind you, it IS retail, there are good days and bad.. Recent sale of company makes for MASS changes to structure. Minimum wage to start. Management was good, sometimes lacking adequate communication, not only among themselves, but with the entire team. All around good place though. Lots of contests, engagement, I've personally won a few times. Unfortunately hours are always short, and on hand staff is always a bare minimum, one in small animals, one on cash, one or two managers. Making it hard to help customers all the time.
Pros
Puppies
Cons
Minimum wage, inconsistent schedule, lack of communication
Great Environment with lot of opportunity for advancement!
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLApril 30, 2015
Great part-time job.
Many departments to work in (Cash, Stock, Pet Care, Management) and ability to cross-train!
I was in every department as I was needed.
Somedays you felt run off your head but that made the shift go by faster.
Cleaning up after other peoples dogs is not fun but cuddling puppies makes up for it.
Hours were flexible and great with working around my school schedule.
Pros
Puppies, Hours, Staff
Cons
Cleaning up after animals
Enjoyable job
Presentation Manager - March 7 2013 (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2015
Good culture and enjoyable workplace. Alot to learn and be accountable for with a large payoff. It takes alot to maintain pet health.
Using my skills to go together with the team I am in.
Volunteer and Community Involvement (Current Employee) –  MississaugaApril 23, 2015
My days use to be very busy, and also very grateful, because I like to work with commitment and self-motivated, focused in get a better performance, based on all my skills and companies standards.
In this bases, the team I work within, the clients, the business and I are able to improve the targets.
Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 19, 2015
I worked here as a student attending SAIT. PetSmart has been very supportive during my time as a student. My managers were very nice and easy to get along with. I always maintained a good report with all of my managers.
Wonderful Job Experience with Pet Smart
Pet Sitter (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONApril 6, 2015
Volunteering at Pet Smart was such a fun job! I personally love working with animals, and with this job, I gained so much experienced with pets and interaction with people looking to adopt the pets. The reason behind my 1 star for Salary/Benefits was because it was pure volunteer work and I was not paid. My co-workers were also wonderful! The hardest part of the job was having to deal with stray cats who were very viscous! The most enjoyable part of the job was just overall meeting new people and adopting cats!
Pros
Co-workers, Customers, Experience in documenting files
Cons
Mean Cats, small space