PetSmart
1,616 reviews

PetSmart Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Answer phone, groom dogs, clean. Overall not bad if your managers are decent.
Dog Groomer (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 12, 2013
Pros: benefits, employee of the month gets a chocolate bar or a drink, sometimes there is a service selling competition and whoever wins gets a prize
Cons: long hours, even if extremly slow people who work on commission have to stay the whole day
At work I would answer phone calls, usually to book an appointment or to give quotes. During a check in, I would look over the dogs coat, skin, teeth, nails and ears and make suggestions\express concerns for grooming. Example, If a dogs coat is matted and I have to shave him\her I would explain to the owner what matts are, what matts do to the skin, how it effects the dog physically and emotionally, what to expect and how to prevent matts in the future. Then I would suggest special shampoos and conditioners to help the irritated skin. During check out I will go over what the dog coat was like, how it is now, what to expect and how to maintain skin\coat at home. Other duties involved cleaning, helping other groomers if they have a difficult dog, showing customers the products we sell, training new employees.

Although I went to college for animal care I also went to the petsmart grooming acedemy there I learned how to groom dogs. I learned customer service skills.

Coworkers are great and we get along well.

Dog grooming in general is not an easy job. You definitely need patience with the dogs and customers, you need a strong stomach (its not a glamours job by any means), you also need confidence and knowledge about animal behavior. One of the hardest things is dealing with an aggressive dog. Not only do you need fast reflexes, but its important to be very careful. Sometimes it can not be done, but if it does get done it is very rewarding.

The most enjoyable part is building the relationships with the dogs and owners. Working in a team environment.
exciting and fullfiling place to work
cashier (Current Employee), Surrey B.C. CanadaFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: enthusiast management, regular praise and free perks like bbq and free coffe
Cons: needy and rude customers, coworkers gossip
Petsmart has changed my life...as cashier/customer sevice rep I encounter many different situations, all of them learning opportunity. All my managers do their best to balance staff and customer needs; they have all been supportive and respectful.
Great place very quiet environment
Pet Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 2, 2012
-stock shelves, help with carry-outs
-customer service skills
-friendly cowerkers
-hardest part would be cleaning cages/tanks
-enjoyable part interacting with pets
It's an enjoyable work environment with only a few cons.
Kitten and Cat Adoption Centre Volunteer (Current Employee), London, ONOctober 9, 2012
Pros: being around people, and animals, the environment
Cons: physical, and repetitiveness.
A typical day at work;
Busy, and sometimes wouldn't take that long to finish my task.

What you learned;
Team work, organizational, and multi-tasking skills.

Management;
Volunteers seem to be treated as if they weren't even part of a team.

Your co-workers;
Friendly, and kind.

The hardest part of the job;
Physical aspect.

The most enjoyable part of the job;
Getting to be around animals, and people. Being apart of the general public.
Conscientious towards environment and animal rights
Petcare Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), Whitby, ONOctober 1, 2012
Pros: fun enviroment
Cons: didn't get to work as much as i would have liked to
A day of work involves a lot of customer service. In-between that is chatting with the other employees and playing with the animals. I have learned so much about animal care as well as how to communicate with people, even the not-so-nice ones. My managers for the most part were nice, although sometimes a little overbearing. My co-workers were awesome, there wasn't anyone I really disliked we all got along great. I think the hardest part of the job was probably dealing with customers who refused to listen or were not pleasant. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching people about animals and helping them out with their pets.
I love animals
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Burlington, ONSeptember 1, 2012
Pros: smiles all day long
Cons: some customers just don't know what they're talking about sometimes
In the morning I'd clean the adopt-a-pet centre, all the cat cages, litter boxes, etc..
after that I'd stock shelves in aisles with products that were running low.
then I'd go around to the other departments, such as small animals, birds, fish and reptiles, and help with whatever needed to be done.
My co-workers were very easy to get along with and I enjoyed their company.
Love the job
Petcare Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 15, 2012
Pros: good benefits, working with animals and customers
Cons: short staffed so you have to do more work, don't get paid enough for the responsibilities (even as a manager)
Love the job but not the upper management. Co-workers were great to work with but sometimes certain managers are not fair and can be rude often. When I first started there it was the best job I have ever had and being promoted 3 times was great, but then my manager went to another store and our store was being run by a manager that does not seem to care about the staff or the animals which is very serious to me!!
BUT, not all stores are like this!!! Petsmart still is a great company to work for but not specific managers.
Fun environment with genuine people who loves pets
SUPPORT MANAGER (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONJuly 11, 2012
I enjoy being among other people who truly loves animals. There are always interesting things going on in the store with a lot of customers and pets.
I am responsible for opening and closing the store a few days a week. This includes making sure the safe is balanced, counting the tills and making deposits, helping out on the floor and take responsibility for customers and associates. During openings I make sure the store is ready for the day, inventory, reports and other things and of course always looking out for the safety and health of our pets in the store.
Customer service is a major part of my job, answering questions and concerns and taking phone calls.
They only care about the money
Bather/Cashier (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABMarch 15, 2012
Pros: working with dogs.
Cons: management.
The store was full of drama, the management team were picking on their subordinates. Everyday I would come in to find one of the other employees, my friends, upset about the latest attack. The management team would gloat about ganging up on the employees, and prepare attacks for next time.

I was not happy there. I couldn't keep a positive attitude, and it started to show in my work. I couldn't get dogs dry in the allotted time because I was the go-to when anything in the salon needed to be done.
Fun workplace
Bather and Brusher (Current Employee), Woodbridge, OntarioMarch 15, 2012
Pros: a lot can be learned
Cons: no current manager at this time
The work place was fun and busy always been kept on your toes, many skills from grooming dogs to helping customers were learned

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more