PetSmart Employee Reviews

good company
Presentation Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 May 2016
no comments, don't really want to talk about it. I rather not talk about the companies and I don't think you guys should ask for the reviews
Busy, high traffic workplace, fast day, great people.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 April 2016
PetSmart is a great place to work, you're always busy, constantly on the move. Interacting with customers is a must, no matter what part of the store you work in. It's a great environment, as long as you're good with animals and pet parents.
Well run company but very tightly managed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Various locations21 January 2016
Well run but no room for interpretation, it is the company way or the highway. Very little feedback from the floor, very top down organization.
Pros
Good pay and bonus for managers
Cons
Long hours are expected, work/life balance is a joke
great place to work
Animal care associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 April 2016
had a great time there, wonderful people, wonderful customers , and a very layed back job, the animals are awesome and the staff is one of the most inviting people you will meet , very easy to pick up the jobs there , must be able to multi task
Very fun part time job
Senior Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON24 April 2016
Supervised the day to day operations of the pet hotel. Cared for both dogs and cats staying at the hotel, including feeding, exercising and cleaning them.
Overall, nice place to work
Pet Care Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 June 2014
If you love working with critters then this is a great place.
You'll always be learning something new, from your coworkers AND customers.
The only problem is some of the new management, and the poor scheduling choices of associates.
Pros
good benefits, learning new things, lots of cool animals
Cons
poor scheduling choices, poor overall management
petsmart
cashier and general stocks person (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 October 2015
worked as cashier and shelf stocker. got to meet plenty of nice people. was paid for holidays. hourly wage was 11.00 hourly and was paid weekly
Pros
met new people
Cons
long hours while standing
Amazing people to work with
Core (Shelf Stocking) and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 March 2016
PetSmart is a great place to work. Just like all other places of work their are those that are fun to work with and others that are not.
Pros
work
Cons
can't get full time unless you are a manager or a groomer
Rewarding Animal interactions, flexible hours, limited customers interactions, low pay have to work on Holidays.
PetsHotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Innes Road Plaza, 1750 Innes Rd Gloucester, ON13 July 2015
The job is probably the best job I have had in my young life. You supervise the pets of Customers during your shift. Always making sure their rooms are clean, their water is fresh and comforting any dogs or cats that miss their owner. You will be on a walkie talkie at all times with your Petshotel Co workers so you can communicate problems. The earliest shifts start at 7 am and the latest shift ends at 9 pm.There is also Doggie Day Camp. You supervise the playroom for 1-4 hours making sure the dogs play safe, and under control. It can be loads of fun interacting with loving animals but the trade off is you're always cleaning up messes and the smell can be overpowering. Sometimes the room is relatively inactive and lacking stimulation so you can get very bored during the 3-4 hour room supervisions. At times you have to break up dog fights which can be hard to read, and can catch you completely unawares but coworkers do a great job coming to help you so you're not on your own. You also have feedings morning, noon and evening which you prepare among your co workers. Owners will come to pick up their dogs after their day of work so for about 2-3 times a day you will be hurrying around answering calls for a dog and bringing them to their owner.
The pay is minimum and the raises are slow and small. All in all I would say it was a great experience. The only reason I left is because I felt their was no room for advancement in pay or position for an ambitious person such as myself.
Pros
Flexible hours for a student, loving animals, friendly co workers, limited customer interactions. Time and a half on holidays
Cons
Low pay, have to work holidays can be very smelly, sometimes have to break up sudden dog fights.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON28 March 2016
PetSmart was an amazing place to work, they understand personal things and give you the time off that you need to deal with those things.
Pros
staff
Cons
hours
awesome place for a sales culture
Customer Engagement Leader (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
I loved petsmart until they were bought out. It turned into a purely sales environment and became less about the animals and the customers.
Pros
get to play with puppies every day
Cons
high turnover
Reasons why Petsmart is an OK job.
Jack of all Trades (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON1 January 2016
Typically you'll be understaffed in most departments.I've learned a lot about animals, mostly aquatics. Most of my co-workers are in high school and don't really care about the quality of work they preform. The hardest part of my job is seeing animals viewed more as a purchasable commodity then a living creature that deserves respect. That being the main reason I don't like working there.
Pros
Meeting other animals enthusiats
Cons
Little hours and little pay.
A Part time Job
Stock/Inventory Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 February 2016
As a full time College student any job that can help provide experience and a friendly environment is always welcome. Its a legitimate corporation that hires the right employees to work for them
Pros
Store Discount
Cons
No background store music making it awkward
Teaching assistant
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 February 2016
It was amazing seeing the students learn the material and helping them along the way. I believed that a student must talk out their questions in order to achieve the answer and which this I saw a large improvement in their grades
Pros
The people
very hard job
presentationmanager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON23 March 2016
good for people that dont want a life outside of work too much multi tasking not enough atention to details a reaily hard place to work
fun environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC18 March 2016
PetSmart is a great place to work. I love seeing all the dogs and other pets come in the store because it always puts a smile on my face.
Pros
seeing dogs everday
Not so much fun
None (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 March 2016
No matter how many applications you send, they don't bother calling. Why bother wasting my time and yours. They post so many jobs , for what , obviously they go through a lot of people.
Pros
Cons
Staff
Passion
Professional dog groomer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON9 June 2014
I have a passion for animals, so the position was perfect for me. The hours and pay/benefits were excellent. Some inexperienced co-workers.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
management team
Didn't make it past training
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, Ontario26 July 2015
I was so excited to get this job, even though I was leaving something else that was paying better. I got hired and immediately after I got hired store management changed. I liked both managers and assistant managers I met. I had to do testing on the computer before I could go on the floor. I went in twice to do this and both times the program froze and they sent me home. I was told I would get a call when the program was working correctly again.. apparently it was a store wide issue. Two weeks came and went and I didn't receive any phone calls. I called the store and they said it wasn't up and running yet. I found another job and was able to start that before they got the program up and running. Waste of time. Now I don't even go here to shop.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Outdated computer programs.
corporate company through and through
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB10 August 2015
I learned a lot working with petsmart. But the overall culture is'nt very professional. Management training is very good at all. I worked for the company for 4 1/2 years and as soon as i made some mistakes they fired me,
Pros
good benifets
Cons
Very high turn over rate