PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

P-------
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I enjoy my day at P-------. My day starts by doing some paper work that includes things like negative inventory, things to be written off or returned. I then assign tasks to other associates to do daily opening tasks like feeding the animals and sweeping. I then would count tills and the cash float and then open the tills so that they are ready for when the store opens. I have a very good relationship with my fellow co-workers. We all work together as a team and always know how to get things done while having a good time. The most enjoyable part of petsmart is when customers come in with their dogs and puppies looking to get something new. The dogs are always so joyful. The hardest part of being a supervisor at petsmart is having to deal with unsatisfied customers. Although, over time I have learned how to find a happy medium with the customer with both parties leaving the conversation happy and content.
Well run company but very tightly managed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Various locationsJanuary 21, 2016
Well run but no room for interpretation, it is the company way or the highway. Very little feedback from the floor, very top down organization.
Pros
Good pay and bonus for managers
Cons
Long hours are expected, work/life balance is a joke
Reasons why Petsmart is an OK job.
Jack of all Trades (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ONJanuary 1, 2016
Typically you'll be understaffed in most departments.I've learned a lot about animals, mostly aquatics. Most of my co-workers are in high school and don't really care about the quality of work they preform. The hardest part of my job is seeing animals viewed more as a purchasable commodity then a living creature that deserves respect. That being the main reason I don't like working there.
Pros
Meeting other animals enthusiats
Cons
Little hours and little pay.
Fun workplace
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 1, 2016
I enjoy going into work because i get to interact with both pets and pet parents (as we call them). The co workers are great and makes working enjoyable.
Reason for two star rating.
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 24, 2015
Petsmart is a decent employer, and I was a satisfied employee. The reason for the poor achievement in job security, or advancement is they don't allow for growth internally. Management was replaced frequently in short terms. They do have good branch management, but this location lacked consistency. Therefore, certain management teams were bias.
Pros
Hours, Client loyal.
Cons
Poorly managed.
petsmart
cashier and general stocks person (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 20, 2015
worked as cashier and shelf stocker. got to meet plenty of nice people. was paid for holidays. hourly wage was 11.00 hourly and was paid weekly
Pros
met new people
Cons
long hours while standing
Awesome products, great staff
Associate (Former Employee) –  ChathamOctober 14, 2015
Worked with fantastic people, management is amazing and will work with you to the best of their abilities. The products are great and you are always being updated on products and receive additional training if needed. You are kept up to date on on-going issues and product incentives so that you are able to help customers in the best way possible.
Pros
Staff, management, store layout
Cons
scheduling conflicts
working around animals and with my coworkers was always fun
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2015
A typical day at work was always fun as there was always new stories being told by the customers that would come in and there puppies or the animal that they owned i learned alot about the different types of food and nutrients that animals need. My coworkers were always fun to be around they always left there bad mood at the front door and there was always laughter at work.The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people and their pets.
Pros
meeting new people and staff
Cons
not having enough staff
overall great workplace
Early Morning Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham OnOctober 8, 2015
PetSmart at the time was a great place to work, good work relationships with fellow co-workers, it had a few kinks but other than that it was a fun place to work and always got the job done.
Pros
discounts, friends, learning expeirence
Cons
short hours
Productive workplace and really enjoyed the instore pets along with the walkin pets which made for an energized work enviroment.
Stock and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NSSeptember 30, 2015
Supportive management with positive direction.
Co-workers were very friendly and we all worked with a great team spirit. Constructive feedback was given often which helped me personally grow and develop strong work ethics.
Management is the key
Salon Manager, Groomer, Presentation Manager (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABSeptember 13, 2015
This company is great to work for IF you have a good store manager. A bad one kills the entire team and the higher management doesn't seem to see that.
My day at Petsmart.
stocker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONSeptember 7, 2015
Unload trucks first thing early in the morning. Then with my team i make a plan on who will work each skid and what time it all needs to be completed by. Management was good, always looked out for us and were always making sure we were working safe and telling us how to interact with customers and make sales. Hardest part of the job is having multiple set goals and having them to complete them while offering customers help in the store. Great team.
working at petsmart
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  ScarboroughSeptember 2, 2015
it was fun to work at petsmart people there are supportive and reliable, they encourage you to do better.
a typical day at work would involve caring for the animals and preparing cages and food/water and clean environment, providing information and educating customers on products and animals.
the hardest part of the job i would say is time management with trying to get your daily duties done and assisting customers at the same time.
the most enjoyable part is knowing you are helping people and give a new animal a good and healthy home
Pros
working with animals
Cons
inconsistant
PetSmart Inc. is a retail chain engaged in the sales of speciality pet supplies and services including dog training, grooming, cat and dog boarding an
Accredited Area Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCAugust 22, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company, the customers are fun and getting to know their pets makes the job a fun one to come to each day. While there is a pattern to the daily work the customers and unexpected make the job anything but boring.
Pros
the great animals and pet parents
Cons
cleaning up pet urine
cashier in a pet store
Cashier / Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 21, 2015
Unique. Exciting. Inspiring. Petsmart are packed with compassionate animal lovers.

The Cashier provides tremendous service by perfectly buzzing up purchases and replying phones.

The person must be at ease and particular when running with math and money.

I am confident in proposing other products and services to Pet Parents that will meet their needs I also must guarantee that each one of the customer obtains exceptional service by welcoming and recognizing all customer, upholding dazzling standards, and each and every other aspects of customer service.
Pros
greeting pets all the time
Cons
not challenged
Productive place
Support Manager, Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, OntAugust 10, 2015
I am currently working as a Pet Care employee where I manage all the animals, their habitats, preparing their meals and selling to customers. I also managed the store and closed cash, filed paperwork, and managed employee tasks and breaks.
corporate company through and through
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABAugust 10, 2015
I learned a lot working with petsmart. But the overall culture is'nt very professional. Management training is very good at all. I worked for the company for 4 1/2 years and as soon as i made some mistakes they fired me,
Pros
good benifets
Cons
Very high turn over rate
Nice place to work
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 10, 2015
Stock room needs more attention before shutting down at night, but otherwise great workplace.
One of the managers didnt seem all too interested in animals.
Didn't make it past training
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, OntarioJuly 26, 2015
I was so excited to get this job, even though I was leaving something else that was paying better. I got hired and immediately after I got hired store management changed. I liked both managers and assistant managers I met. I had to do testing on the computer before I could go on the floor. I went in twice to do this and both times the program froze and they sent me home. I was told I would get a call when the program was working correctly again.. apparently it was a store wide issue. Two weeks came and went and I didn't receive any phone calls. I called the store and they said it wasn't up and running yet. I found another job and was able to start that before they got the program up and running. Waste of time. Now I don't even go here to shop.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Outdated computer programs.
Rewarding Animal interactions, flexible hours, limited customers interactions, low pay have to work on Holidays.
PetsHotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Innes Road Plaza, 1750 Innes Rd Gloucester, ONJuly 13, 2015
The job is probably the best job I have had in my young life. You supervise the pets of Customers during your shift. Always making sure their rooms are clean, their water is fresh and comforting any dogs or cats that miss their owner. You will be on a walkie talkie at all times with your Petshotel Co workers so you can communicate problems. The earliest shifts start at 7 am and the latest shift ends at 9 pm.There is also Doggie Day Camp. You supervise the playroom for 1-4 hours making sure the dogs play safe, and under control. It can be loads of fun interacting with loving animals but the trade off is you're always cleaning up messes and the smell can be overpowering. Sometimes the room is relatively inactive and lacking stimulation so you can get very bored during the 3-4 hour room supervisions. At times you have to break up dog fights which can be hard to read, and can catch you completely unawares but coworkers do a great job coming to help you so you're not on your own. You also have feedings morning, noon and evening which you prepare among your co workers. Owners will come to pick up their dogs after their day of work so for about 2-3 times a day you will be hurrying around answering calls for a dog and bringing them to their owner.
The pay is minimum and the raises are slow and small. All in all I would say it was a great experience. The only reason I left is because I felt their was no room for advancement in pay or position for an ambitious person such as myself.
Pros
Flexible hours for a student, loving animals, friendly co workers, limited customer interactions. Time and a half on holidays
Cons
Low pay, have to work holidays can be very smelly, sometimes have to break up sudden dog fights.