PetSmart

PetSmart Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Happy with the job
Cashier (Former Employee), Kanata, ONAugust 5, 2013
I worked at different locations in Ottawa for pet smart. I really loved working with a lot of the staff at two locations they took pride in their jobs, they were very organized and the hours were great. I enjoy working with people and most of all learning about animals and their needs on a daily basis.
Productive, fun and fast paced workplace
Pets Hotel Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Stoney Creek, ONJuly 15, 2013
Pros: working environment, the animals to work with and working with the customers
Cons: little hours
Petsmart is an enjoyable job for someone who enjoys working with dogs and cats and who loves to see the improvement they help to accomplish in pet behaviours. This workplace is never the same and very fast paced. It als gives you many different jobs to do within the workplace so that you are never bored of just doing one thing over and over again.
Need a quick opinion about my current status with this company...
Lead Stock (Current Employee), N/AMay 30, 2013
I started as a part-time stocker exactly a year ago @ $7.51 with 14 hrs a week minimum. After a 8 months, promoted to lead stock. And with more training with various tasks, I'm now making $8.34 with 23-30 hrs. More during the holidays. Btw, these ain't including breaks. As of now, these are the set of skills I learn and execute on a daily basis as well – more... as flaws as a PetSmart employee:

-Efficient forklift operator. (Probably one of the quickest if not fastest in my store to unload trucks and separating pallets with absolutely not product damage)
-Always keeping an organized and cleared receiving backroom.
-Can execute a negative inventory report, holes report, and inventory adjustment using SAP. (I was issued a password)
-Locate, print, and file required high dollar reports (truck days)
-Execute POG and resets successfully while taking time to help others.
-Cashier skills and always jump on available registers when lines exceed 3 customers.
-Usually its 2 (me and presentation manager) of us working trucks until a 3rd comes in to help 3 hrs later (not always). But by that time, I already have all of dog and some of hardgoods already worked.

Flaws: Always give customers an honest and helpful answer to the best of my ability. But I don't sell puppy kits as much as other cashiers. Although I'm quite quiet and keep to myself, I never ignore a customer down the isles whether they have a question or not. By quiet, I don't mean outcast, I get along with everyone in my store, both floor and salon but I'm not ALWAYS in the circle of conversations with the more chatty employees. No petcare training. Although I wouldn't mind obtaining it. While almost everyone has either an allergy or small fear of some of the animals we hold. I have no fear nor allergy to any. But they seem to have plenty of petcare maintenance people and value me more in the restocking department.

Either way I'm not sure whether or not I feel as if I'm being paid less for doing more than others in the same position in other stores.

Let me know your 2 cents... – less
Was a good Student Job.
Brusher (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 20, 2013
reasonable hours, unorganized management they were often confused and thought lowly of their staff.
A fun and dynamic work environment
Early Morning Stocker (Current Employee), Barrie, ONApril 16, 2013
Pros: fun, busy, great team of people
Cons: no cons
Even though I have only worked a few shifts with Petsmart, I am learning a lot and working with a great team of people. It is a fun but focused group who have to work together to get products in the store before it opens to customers. I am looking forward to getting more hours and cross training in other areas of the store which may allow me to have – more... more responsibility, – less
A productive and fun workplace that recognizes commitment and hard work
Presentation Manager (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONApril 15, 2013
Pros: a family like culture
Cons: a large work load with sharp deadlines
There are three essential parts to working as a PetSmart associate:

1) greeting and helping costumers in any way possible
2) educating a pet parent
3) helping a customer find what they need and leave satisfied

It is a work environment that allows you to express your love for animals and work hand in hand with them as they visit the store daily. My – more... knowledge in pet food, pet management, and care of all animals as increased. The people I work with are almost always fun and friendly, many having pets themselves.The hardest part of the job is that it can be very physically demanding, but the best part of the job is making someone leave the store with a smile. – less
Pet trainer
Certified Pet Trainer (Current Employee), MississaugaApril 9, 2013
Cons: not enough hours. no benefits
This is a great part time job as it allows me to be helpful to people and make a positive impact in the lives of our customers and their pets. The people are wonderful and the animals are even better!
A structured workplace that recognizes commitment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
Pros: interaction with the animals that come into the store.
Cons: cleaning up animal waste, minimal training.
There are three main aspects about working as a PetSmart associate, greeting and helping costumers in any way possible, working the till, and keeping shelves stocked.While working there I learned storage and organizational techniques, how to face, how to safely operate a forklift, how to operate the cash register, as well as a great deal to do with – more... pet supplies, especially food. In terms of management, the first half of the time I worked here they ran the store like a well-oiled machine whereas the second half they were confused and disorganized. The people I worked with were almost always fun and friendly, many having pets themselves.The hardest part of the job was moving large amount of food and cat litter onto the shelves before the store opened. The thing I enjoyed the most about working here was meeting people and the pets they brought into the store. – less
4 times a year bonus
Presentation Manager (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMarch 19, 2013
Pros: christmas party with staff / paid benefits/ good hourly rate paid
Cons: not appreciated for the hard work you do
Repetitive work / merchandising something different everyday / enjoyed the staff / Customers coming and asking for me / hardest part of the job - unsatisfied customer due to a co -workers mistake / what i have learned working at PetSmart hard work is never appreciated / Management changed once a year in the 12 years I worked there.
Answer phone, groom dogs, clean. Overall not bad if your managers are decent.
Dog Groomer (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 12, 2013
Pros: benefits, employee of the month gets a chocolate bar or a drink, sometimes there is a service selling competition and whoever wins gets a prize
Cons: long hours, even if extremly slow people who work on commission have to stay the whole day
At work I would answer phone calls, usually to book an appointment or to give quotes. During a check in, I would look over the dogs coat, skin, teeth, nails and ears and make suggestions\express concerns for grooming. Example, If a dogs coat is matted and I have to shave him\her I would explain to the owner what matts are, what matts do to the skin, – more... how it effects the dog physically and emotionally, what to expect and how to prevent matts in the future. Then I would suggest special shampoos and conditioners to help the irritated skin. During check out I will go over what the dog coat was like, how it is now, what to expect and how to maintain skin\coat at home. Other duties involved cleaning, helping other groomers if they have a difficult dog, showing customers the products we sell, training new employees.

Although I went to college for animal care I also went to the petsmart grooming acedemy there I learned how to groom dogs. I learned customer service skills.

Coworkers are great and we get along well.

Dog grooming in general is not an easy job. You definitely need patience with the dogs and customers, you need a strong stomach (its not a glamours job by any means), you also need confidence and knowledge about animal behavior. One of the hardest things is dealing with an aggressive dog. Not only do you need fast reflexes, but its important to be very careful. Sometimes it can not be done, but if it does get done it is very rewarding.

The most enjoyable part is building the relationships with the dogs and owners. Working in a team environment. – less
exciting and fullfiling place to work
cashier (Current Employee), Surrey B.C. CanadaFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: enthusiast management, regular praise and free perks like bbq and free coffe
Cons: needy and rude customers, coworkers gossip
Petsmart has changed my life...as cashier/customer sevice rep I encounter many different situations, all of them learning opportunity. All my managers do their best to balance staff and customer needs; they have all been supportive and respectful.
Great place very quiet environment
Pet Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 2, 2012
-stock shelves, help with carry-outs
-customer service skills
-friendly cowerkers
-hardest part would be cleaning cages/tanks
-enjoyable part interacting with pets
It's an enjoyable work environment with only a few cons.
Kitten and Cat Adoption Centre Volunteer (Current Employee), London, ONOctober 9, 2012
Pros: being around people, and animals, the environment
Cons: physical, and repetitiveness.
A typical day at work;
Busy, and sometimes wouldn't take that long to finish my task.

What you learned;
Team work, organizational, and multi-tasking skills.

Management;
Volunteers seem to be treated as if they weren't even part of a team.

Your co-workers;
Friendly, and kind.

The hardest part of the job;
Physical aspect.

The most enjoyable part – more... of the job;
Getting to be around animals, and people. Being apart of the general public. – less
Conscientious towards environment and animal rights
Petcare Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), Whitby, ONOctober 1, 2012
Pros: fun enviroment
Cons: didn't get to work as much as i would have liked to
A day of work involves a lot of customer service. In-between that is chatting with the other employees and playing with the animals. I have learned so much about animal care as well as how to communicate with people, even the not-so-nice ones. My managers for the most part were nice, although sometimes a little overbearing. My co-workers were awesome, – more... there wasn't anyone I really disliked we all got along great. I think the hardest part of the job was probably dealing with customers who refused to listen or were not pleasant. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching people about animals and helping them out with their pets. – less
I love animals
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Burlington, ONSeptember 1, 2012
Pros: smiles all day long
Cons: some customers just don't know what they're talking about sometimes
In the morning I'd clean the adopt-a-pet centre, all the cat cages, litter boxes, etc..
after that I'd stock shelves in aisles with products that were running low.
then I'd go around to the other departments, such as small animals, birds, fish and reptiles, and help with whatever needed to be done.
My co-workers were very easy to get along with and – more... I enjoyed their company. – less
Love the job
Petcare Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 15, 2012
Pros: good benefits, working with animals and customers
Cons: short staffed so you have to do more work, don't get paid enough for the responsibilities (even as a manager)
Love the job but not the upper management. Co-workers were great to work with but sometimes certain managers are not fair and can be rude often. When I first started there it was the best job I have ever had and being promoted 3 times was great, but then my manager went to another store and our store was being run by a manager that does not seem to – more... care about the staff or the animals which is very serious to me!!
BUT, not all stores are like this!!! Petsmart still is a great company to work for but not specific managers. – less
Fun environment with genuine people who loves pets
SUPPORT MANAGER (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONJuly 11, 2012
I enjoy being among other people who truly loves animals. There are always interesting things going on in the store with a lot of customers and pets.
I am responsible for opening and closing the store a few days a week. This includes making sure the safe is balanced, counting the tills and making deposits, helping out on the floor and take responsibility – more... for customers and associates. During openings I make sure the store is ready for the day, inventory, reports and other things and of course always looking out for the safety and health of our pets in the store.
Customer service is a major part of my job, answering questions and concerns and taking phone calls. – less
They only care about the money
Bather/Cashier (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABMarch 15, 2012
Pros: working with dogs.
Cons: management.
The store was full of drama, the management team were picking on their subordinates. Everyday I would come in to find one of the other employees, my friends, upset about the latest attack. The management team would gloat about ganging up on the employees, and prepare attacks for next time.

I was not happy there. I couldn't keep a positive attitude, – more... and it started to show in my work. I couldn't get dogs dry in the allotted time because I was the go-to when anything in the salon needed to be done. – less
Fun workplace
Bather and Brusher (Current Employee), Woodbridge, OntarioMarch 15, 2012
Pros: a lot can be learned
Cons: no current manager at this time
The work place was fun and busy always been kept on your toes, many skills from grooming dogs to helping customers were learned
Fun work place
Cashier/Grooming receptionist (Former Employee), Durham, NCOctober 22, 2014
fun workplace but no room to grow. learned a lot of new things.

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more