PetSmart Employee Reviews

fun environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCMarch 18, 2016
PetSmart is a great place to work. I love seeing all the dogs and other pets come in the store because it always puts a smile on my face.
Pros
seeing dogs everday
awesome place for a sales culture
Customer Engagement Leader (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2016
I loved petsmart until they were bought out. It turned into a purely sales environment and became less about the animals and the customers.
Pros
get to play with puppies every day
Cons
high turnover
Terrible company. Slave drivers
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 16, 2016
As a vet tech for 10 years, I was beyond disgusted over the care given to animals in their store. We had yellow fungus outbreaks on bearded dragons, the stores policy for keeping it from spreading was pitiful and not trained to staff. We had goldfish feeders that were dropping by the minute on the floor but the manager tried to say that it was NORMAL.. one morning there was 112 feeders dead. Explain that to customers!

Seriously... just stay away. They pay under minimum wage. The hours are terrible. They don't care about their employees or the animals. This is your warning!!
Pros
Not much
Cons
bad pay, over worked, no benefits, no breaks, rude management, terrible company
Amazing team and company to work for.
dog bather (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 15, 2016
Wonderful company who care about the well being of not only the customers but the staff as well. I learnt how to bath a dog and do general grooming of dogs. Co-worker are friendly and very willing to teach you how to do things. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer system and all the prices for different dogs. I enjoy everything about this job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enoughpay
Respectful, comfortable, fun workplace
Merchandise & Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONMarch 9, 2016
Always something new and fun going on in store, lots of new challenges to grow as an individual, helpful staff, new products and services to learn about, great management team, love to work so closely with different animals, committed workplace, team players.
Not so much fun
None (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 6, 2016
No matter how many applications you send, they don't bother calling. Why bother wasting my time and yours. They post so many jobs , for what , obviously they go through a lot of people.
Pros
Cons
Staff
Teaching assistant
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 24, 2016
It was amazing seeing the students learn the material and helping them along the way. I believed that a student must talk out their questions in order to achieve the answer and which this I saw a large improvement in their grades
Pros
The people
A Part time Job
Stock/Inventory Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2016
As a full time College student any job that can help provide experience and a friendly environment is always welcome. Its a legitimate corporation that hires the right employees to work for them
Pros
Store Discount
Cons
No background store music making it awkward
Great people; fun interactions with pets and owners
Senior Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 23, 2016
For the most part working at PetSmart is great, lots of great co-workers and if you love animals the culture will satisfy you. Once your part of the benefits program it's really comprehensive and worthwhile.

Sometimes management can be volatile, usually changing and moving around.
Fun Place To Work, So Little Hours
Early morning stocker (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 16, 2016
Typical day at work would be 6AM-2:30 Mon-Fri, early morning stocker. Now it's "hey you're coming in on this day and you don't get to say no." I have no hours and they expect you to live off two or one shift a week.
I've learned about different pet products and what's in food, different brand names.
I think management isn't perfect but can definitely be worked on in some areas, for example creating consistent schedules for everyone.
Hardest part of the job is the inconsistent schedule I feel like I'm on call all the time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the pet parents and seeing the live animals everyday.
Pros
Fun work environment with all the animals
Cons
Needs consistent work schedules
Be yourself environment!!
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Petsmart; a fun place to work, you never know whats around the corner! You get to see the cute puppies, you have the opportunity to see the newest fashion and apparels; interesting things for your pet . At Petsmart you have the pleasure to learn so much from different peoples and how to communicate with different personalities, how to accomplish new things, and most of all, discover who you really are with the help of your co-workers. Unfortunately, it can be stressful with aggressive dogs or cleaning someones elses mess ( the dogs ) but the most enjoyable part of the job is that people know you love what you do. You can be yourself, have fun , laugh, make silly sounds and guess what? you get paid for it! Seeing the smile of someone walking away from a groom there first visit happy and cheerful, is priceless..
Pros
Actually WANTING to go to work
Cons
Stressful and abused animals come and go
P-------
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I enjoy my day at P-------. My day starts by doing some paper work that includes things like negative inventory, things to be written off or returned. I then assign tasks to other associates to do daily opening tasks like feeding the animals and sweeping. I then would count tills and the cash float and then open the tills so that they are ready for when the store opens. I have a very good relationship with my fellow co-workers. We all work together as a team and always know how to get things done while having a good time. The most enjoyable part of petsmart is when customers come in with their dogs and puppies looking to get something new. The dogs are always so joyful. The hardest part of being a supervisor at petsmart is having to deal with unsatisfied customers. Although, over time I have learned how to find a happy medium with the customer with both parties leaving the conversation happy and content.
Well run company but very tightly managed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Various locationsJanuary 21, 2016
Well run but no room for interpretation, it is the company way or the highway. Very little feedback from the floor, very top down organization.
Pros
Good pay and bonus for managers
Cons
Long hours are expected, work/life balance is a joke
Reasons why Petsmart is an OK job.
Jack of all Trades (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ONJanuary 1, 2016
Typically you'll be understaffed in most departments.I've learned a lot about animals, mostly aquatics. Most of my co-workers are in high school and don't really care about the quality of work they preform. The hardest part of my job is seeing animals viewed more as a purchasable commodity then a living creature that deserves respect. That being the main reason I don't like working there.
Pros
Meeting other animals enthusiats
Cons
Little hours and little pay.
Fun workplace
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 1, 2016
I enjoy going into work because i get to interact with both pets and pet parents (as we call them). The co workers are great and makes working enjoyable.
Reason for two star rating.
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 24, 2015
Petsmart is a decent employer, and I was a satisfied employee. The reason for the poor achievement in job security, or advancement is they don't allow for growth internally. Management was replaced frequently in short terms. They do have good branch management, but this location lacked consistency. Therefore, certain management teams were bias.
Pros
Hours, Client loyal.
Cons
Poorly managed.
petsmart
cashier and general stocks person (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 20, 2015
worked as cashier and shelf stocker. got to meet plenty of nice people. was paid for holidays. hourly wage was 11.00 hourly and was paid weekly
Pros
met new people
Cons
long hours while standing
Awesome products, great staff
Associate (Former Employee) –  ChathamOctober 14, 2015
Worked with fantastic people, management is amazing and will work with you to the best of their abilities. The products are great and you are always being updated on products and receive additional training if needed. You are kept up to date on on-going issues and product incentives so that you are able to help customers in the best way possible.
Pros
Staff, management, store layout
Cons
scheduling conflicts
working around animals and with my coworkers was always fun
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2015
A typical day at work was always fun as there was always new stories being told by the customers that would come in and there puppies or the animal that they owned i learned alot about the different types of food and nutrients that animals need. My coworkers were always fun to be around they always left there bad mood at the front door and there was always laughter at work.The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people and their pets.
Pros
meeting new people and staff
Cons
not having enough staff
overall great workplace
Early Morning Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham OnOctober 8, 2015
PetSmart at the time was a great place to work, good work relationships with fellow co-workers, it had a few kinks but other than that it was a fun place to work and always got the job done.
Pros
discounts, friends, learning expeirence
Cons
short hours