PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Fun place to work
Cashier and Core Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 25, 2015
Pros: Nice customers
Cons: Everything about the company and how they manage employees
There were too many managers in such a short amount of time (8 months). There was too much change, and it was too hard to adjust to. The customers were great though. If only management treated me fairly and didn't lie to my face multiple times about advancing with the company. After several meetings with the store manager in hopes to advance in the company, 3 years later nothing had happened. They led me on and kept my hopes up, and weren't even disappointed that I resigned.
Fun workplace
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 1, 2016
I enjoy going into work because i get to interact with both pets and pet parents (as we call them). The co workers are great and makes working enjoyable.
Working with animals big and small is fun and rewarding
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, OntarioJune 17, 2015
Pros: Working with dogs
Cons: working and not being able to take lunch breaks
I have become an integral part of the management team.
I lead the culture and I am passionate in regards to my work and environment.
I have focused my efforts on customer service, team building and coaching for success.
I have many duties and follow them according to Petsmart's policies and procedures.
I work approximately 55 to 60 hours a week.
Love the job
Petcare Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 15, 2012
Pros: good benefits, working with animals and customers
Cons: short staffed so you have to do more work, don't get paid enough for the responsibilities (even as a manager)
Love the job but not the upper management. Co-workers were great to work with but sometimes certain managers are not fair and can be rude often. When I first started there it was the best job I have ever had and being promoted 3 times was great, but then my manager went to another store and our store was being run by a manager that does not seem to care about the staff or the animals which is very serious to me!!
BUT, not all stores are like this!!! Petsmart still is a great company to work for but not specific managers.
Fantastic culture, always a happy place to be.
Employee (Current Employee), Windsor, ONMay 2, 2015
Pros: Puppies
Cons: Minimum wage, inconsistent schedule, lack of communication
Thoroughly enjoyed my employment. Positive colleagues and positive customers MOST of the time. Mind you, it IS retail, there are good days and bad.. Recent sale of company makes for MASS changes to structure. Minimum wage to start. Management was good, sometimes lacking adequate communication, not only among themselves, but with the entire team. All around good place though. Lots of contests, engagement, I've personally won a few times. Unfortunately hours are always short, and on hand staff is always a bare minimum, one in small animals, one on cash, one or two managers. Making it hard to help customers all the time.
Management is the key
Salon Manager, Groomer, Presentation Manager (Current Employee), Spruce Grove, ABSeptember 13, 2015
This company is great to work for IF you have a good store manager. A bad one kills the entire team and the higher management doesn't seem to see that.
PetSmart Inc. is a retail chain engaged in the sales of speciality pet supplies and services including dog training, grooming, cat and dog boarding an
Accredited Area Pet Trainer (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCAugust 22, 2015
Pros: the great animals and pet parents
Cons: cleaning up pet urine
I enjoyed working for this company, the customers are fun and getting to know their pets makes the job a fun one to come to each day. While there is a pattern to the daily work the customers and unexpected make the job anything but boring.
overall great workplace
Early Morning Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee), Markham OnOctober 8, 2015
Pros: discounts, friends, learning expeirence
Cons: short hours
PetSmart at the time was a great place to work, good work relationships with fellow co-workers, it had a few kinks but other than that it was a fun place to work and always got the job done.
Horrible Management
STOCK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), sherwood parkJune 26, 2015
Pros: animals
Cons: management, wage, hours
I worked here as an early morning stock crew for a month because the management was so awful. I was the only team member that would work to meet targets and when they were not met i was the one who mostly got yelled at. Also the wage was awful for getting up at 3am and carrying bags of dog food all day. The pets were nice and so were the clients and other co workers.
exciting and fullfiling place to work
cashier (Current Employee), Surrey B.C. CanadaFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: enthusiast management, regular praise and free perks like bbq and free coffe
Cons: needy and rude customers, coworkers gossip
Petsmart has changed my life...as cashier/customer sevice rep I encounter many different situations, all of them learning opportunity. All my managers do their best to balance staff and customer needs; they have all been supportive and respectful.
4 times a year bonus
Presentation Manager (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMarch 19, 2013
Pros: christmas party with staff / paid benefits/ good hourly rate paid
Cons: not appreciated for the hard work you do
Repetitive work / merchandising something different everyday / enjoyed the staff / Customers coming and asking for me / hardest part of the job - unsatisfied customer due to a co -workers mistake / what i have learned working at PetSmart hard work is never appreciated / Management changed once a year in the 12 years I worked there.
Overall, nice place to work
Pet Care Lead (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 9, 2014
Pros: good benefits, learning new things, lots of cool animals
Cons: poor scheduling choices, poor overall management
If you love working with critters then this is a great place.
You'll always be learning something new, from your coworkers AND customers.
The only problem is some of the new management, and the poor scheduling choices of associates.
Fun workplace with dedicated workers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, OnMay 27, 2015
Pros: Friendly customers
Cons: Short shifts
A typical day at work starts differently depending on what area you're working in. As a pet care associate, I start my day by feeding all the animals in the store and checking in on any sick animals in the back. This can include giving medication. Depending on the day, I might have to do a full clean (Cleaning the entire section for certain animals: Reptiles, birds, small animals, etc.) This takes about 2 hours and is usually the responsibility of one associate. I would then spend the rest of the day helping customers with any questions and providing them with any materials they would need to own a pet and occasionally selling said pet to them. Upon closing, it's very similar to opening just without the feeding process. Checking on all animals once again, making sure health is optimal and giving any medications needed.

I've learned quite a bit about animals while working at this location, enough to help customers find the perfect animal for their home life and time management.

My co-workers are amazingly fun people to be around.

The hardest part of the job is having someone come in with a very strong idea of what they want and realizing it's not the best choice for them, but being unable to convince them otherwise.
Great Environment with lot of opportunity for advancement!
CASHIER (Former Employee), St. John's, NLApril 30, 2015
Pros: Puppies, Hours, Staff
Cons: Cleaning up after animals
Great part-time job.
Many departments to work in (Cash, Stock, Pet Care, Management) and ability to cross-train!
I was in every department as I was needed.
Somedays you felt run off your head but that made the shift go by faster.
Cleaning up after other peoples dogs is not fun but cuddling puppies makes up for it.
Hours were flexible and great with working around my school schedule.
Terrible Management!!
Groomer (Former Employee), Whitby, ONMay 4, 2015
Job itself is not bad, for the most part the dogs that come into the salon are very sweet. the job is not as glamorous as people think! friends always think groomers play with dogs all day, but you need a strong stomach to deal with half of the stuff you see come through the salon doors. also, be prepared to deal with the mean dogs too. management will tell you when you get hired that you have the right to send any dog home you feel unsafe grooming, then when the time comes they pressure you to complete the groom anyways. management is all money hungry, and our own store manager seems clueless when it comes to dog safety policies, yet he spends all his time worrying about the stores satisfaction ratings and sales plans. if you have any type of problem, don't expect help from your managers. they seem to promote the most unqualified people, leading to a management team that is disorganized and all over the place! also, say goodbye to your weekends (all of them!!) while you are prepared to work here. also, the manager turn over rate is astounding. we had an awesome store manager when i was hired and then they transferred him. on a final note, can i mention that they apparently want to start doing salon schedules a YEAR in advance
Worst experience ever
bather (Former Employee), EdmontonDecember 16, 2014
Cons: everythibg
I worked there for 2 months in the grooming salon as a bather. The girls I worked with we're absolutely horrible. They made up lies about me to management to try and get me fired saying I was taking four to five breaks a day when I was barely getting one because I was so over scheduled. I had Absolutely no training and when I had a difficult dog the manager would just stand and stare at me as though I was incompetent! She even told me that she was upset she had to close with me because she hated me. How nice of her!
They are cruel to the animals they yell at the call them names and are extremely rough with them
I couldn't take it anymore
Productive place
Support Manager, Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), Vaughan, OntAugust 10, 2015
I am currently working as a Pet Care employee where I manage all the animals, their habitats, preparing their meals and selling to customers. I also managed the store and closed cash, filed paperwork, and managed employee tasks and breaks.
Nice place to work
Stock Associate (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCAugust 10, 2015
Stock room needs more attention before shutting down at night, but otherwise great workplace.
One of the managers didnt seem all too interested in animals.
Passion
Professional dog groomer (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJune 9, 2014
Pros: working with animals
Cons: management team
I have a passion for animals, so the position was perfect for me. The hours and pay/benefits were excellent. Some inexperienced co-workers.
An entertaining and rewarding experience with great staff and opportunity
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: great staff, friendly management, great pay, flexible hours
Cons: short lunch breaks
I held this job for about 2 months while I studying abroad in Canada. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did, and it was unfortunate that I had to leave as soon as I did due to personal reasons. I loved being able to share my pet knowledge with customers, and often times it made people very happy that I took a little extra time to explain to them the differences between certain products. I really enjoyed the staff, as they made it very easy to learn on the job. A typical day included:

Counting register
Handling cash
Handling returns and exchanges
Promoting Pet Perks rewards card
Lifting objects of at least 25 pounds
Stocking shelves
Facing merchandise
Displaying products in a creative/fun manner
Emptying trash