PetSmart Employee Reviews

Great Workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON7 November 2016
Employees are very friendly and easy to get along with. If you like working with pets and aren't afraid to get your hands a little dirty, this is the workplace for you.
I really enjoyed working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 June 2016
A typical day for me was working as a cashier, helping to stock shelves and collecting donations for the local SPCA. I learned all my cashiering skills from this job and a lot of my people skills as well. My management was very organized and reliable in terms of giving me hours and my co-workers were easy to get along with. There weren't many hard parts about my job, I struggled at first with cashiering but managed to pick it up easier than I thought I would. I really enjoyed this job, if it weren't for school (I am graduated now) I would still be working there.
fun and frendly
Groomers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 September 2016
Had a wonderful experience working with this company the employees are all super friendly and there to help if you need it always working together to make it a safe and fun work environment
Decent work environment, good customers.
Cahier (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON17 November 2016
The overall work environment was good and the customers were great! Great discounts. Good products very educational.
I enjoy the people but no room to advance
Cashier/Pet care associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 October 2016
part time- sometimes I cashier and some times I do stock. I would like to be able to learn more than what they have allowed me.
Loved working with the animals!
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 August 2016
How can you be in a bad mood around all those furry faces! Love working with the animals, feeding, cleaning up after them and of course cuddling. Learn a lot about nutritional benefits for several breeds of animals.
Amazing Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON21 September 2016
Petsmart was an amazing company to have worked at. I really loved the managers and staff as well as the customers. I had a blast working there and I will always feel like it is family.
Fun workplace meeting puppies everyday
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 August 2016
Petsmart is a welcoming environment. Fun meeting puppies and helping pet parents spoil their pets. Being a dog bather is great experience getting to pamper pets for their families.
Great place to learn and grow
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON15 August 2016
Excellent training program and benefits. Had a great time. I was able to further my career and move up as the process was defined.
Pros
Great personal and professional development programs
excellent place to work at
Part-time pet care specialist (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON30 August 2016
petsmart was a great place to work, friendly co-workers, enjoyable work experience, and there was always a dog around to pet! great management in every department.
Enjoyable friendly envorinment
Cashier/Merchandise Stocker (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC20 January 2017
My typical day at work always varied, I am trained for all areas of the store except for management, including bathing dogs. Some days I would be stocking the shelves where as other days I'd be selling the live animals or being a cashier. Then there were the days I bathed the dogs in the grooming salon.
I learned a great deal about animals from working at petsmart, through the monthly courses that are mandatory to watch and from other employees and even customers. I found that every day I was learning something new, even after the amount of time I've been there for.
My management and other employees have been some of the best people I could ask to work with. Everyone tried really hard to make sure everybody was having a good day at work and that we kept the environment friendly and positive not just for us but for customers as well.
I would say the hardest part about the job, would the the emotional aspect when you have a customer who comes in wanting to donate their pets things because they have passed away.
Where as the most enjoyable part would have to be helping a customer set up for getting a new pet, or getting to meet their new family members.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Not enough hours
Good place to work if animals are your #1
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 June 2016
I really loved working here as caring for animals and helping customers make the best decisions for their pets was my #1. Every day was a fun day between catching fish and having laughs to making sure the customers knew the right product for there specified pet.
Productive day helping kittens find families
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 June 2016
Typical day volunteering includes feeding the kittens, playing with them and ensuring they have a clean cage. Providing any information future owners may have regarding the animals. Also, filling out any paperwork involving adoptions.
Productive a great place to work
early morning stock (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 April 2016
the typical day working at Petsmart is always something new everyday. I learned how to handle different types of animals and how to count inventory. the location was well managed i would work there again if asked the I worked with were great people and very friendly. The hardest part of the job was the over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m) I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to all the different customers that came in and helping them out with what they needed.
Pros
discounts on food for pets and grooming
Cons
over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m)
Not bad but not great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON28 April 2016
The overall environment was good, past-paced, never without something to do and a lot of opportunities to get ahead. However, the management allowed certain employees to slack and behave completely inappropriately because they hired friends. There was a lot of drama too. A decent place as a whole.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Management, drama
Positive atmosphere and people
Cat-Shelter Associate/ Associée (Former Employee) –  Mississauga24 May 2016
-Managers and supervisors go out of their way to make everyone feel at home
-Customers are talkative and respectful
-Store was very clean and
-Co-workers are very helpful
Pros
Regular interaction with animals, very positive atmosphere
Cons
Paperwork
Stay away!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
They treat their employees like dirt. I've watched managers text message each other on the Floor to laugh about an employee. Ive seen management try to sabatoge a person's job because they didn't like them. I've watched managers avoid answering a page because they didn't want to be near the till. I've seen the store manager refuse to meet with customers. This company use to be about pets and owners and now they are all about money. They get the employees to work they're butts off and then give the store manager a bonus because the numbers went up. Oh, but at least the employees get a Care Card for their free can of soda (Really?!). This place is just slowly dying out. No room to grow, no support, horrible training. Bottom line... The place is a joke .
Pros
Cons
To many to mention
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 June 2016
Working at pet smart was a very good expierence, the staff was very nice they showed me the ropes fairly quickly and they made the enviroment very comfortable to be apart of.
Pros
Playing with puppies!
Cons
cleaning up after animals visiting
Terrible company. Slave drivers
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON16 March 2016
As a vet tech for 10 years, I was beyond disgusted over the care given to animals in their store. We had yellow fungus outbreaks on bearded dragons, the stores policy for keeping it from spreading was pitiful and not trained to staff. We had goldfish feeders that were dropping by the minute on the floor but the manager tried to say that it was NORMAL.. one morning there was 112 feeders dead. Explain that to customers!

Seriously... just stay away. They pay under minimum wage. The hours are terrible. They don't care about their employees or the animals. This is your warning!!
Pros
Not much
Cons
bad pay, over worked, no benefits, no breaks, rude management, terrible company
Amazing team and company to work for.
dog bather (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB15 March 2016
Wonderful company who care about the well being of not only the customers but the staff as well. I learnt how to bath a dog and do general grooming of dogs. Co-worker are friendly and very willing to teach you how to do things. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer system and all the prices for different dogs. I enjoy everything about this job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enoughpay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.