PetSmart Employee Reviews

Dead end job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2016
Greta job if all your trying to do is get by financially and don't see yourself staying in this position forever. Good interim job while your getting an education to have a real career
Pros
everyone loves animals
Cons
no room for advancement, poor management.
Fun and friendly workplace, exciting and fast-paced work environment
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON16 December 2016
A typical day at work would start with me greeting whoever was working the Pet Care department before me, and receiving the keys and work phone from them. I would ask what tasks were completed and what still needs to be done to determine what needs to be completed. I assist customers as I complete required tasks, and when all tasks are completed I focus on caring for the animals, such as making sure all bedding is clean, all food and water dishes are clean and filled, and making sure all the animals are healthy.
Pros
Friendly Co-Workers and Fun Work Environment
Cons
Can be hectic and busy at times
Fun workplace
Pets hotel associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 December 2016
Despite having to write 15 individual logs for each dog, it's fun to interact with all the pets that come into the pets hotel every day. I always enjoy watching over them and having friendly conversations with neighboring employees. It's definitely an exciting environment that doesn't get old.
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Constant standing, running around and cleanup after dogs
They are so cruel!!!
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/A4 December 2016
They treat their animals terribly! They don't get any medical attention and are just left there to die. They use glue traps to "control" their mice and pieces of their skin and fur are ripped off! Some are even so desperate to get free that they chew off their own limbs! They're also forced to breed even when they don't want to at these terrible animal mills like Rainbow World Exotics! Don't buy anything from PetSmart and don't work there because you're just enforcing this animal cruelty.
Learned the beginning of dog grooming
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON24 November 2016
Petsmart was a stepping stone into the grooming world. I learned the basics from their grooming academy however anything beyond that was left up to myself to learn by watching other groomers I worked with. Luckily the other groomers were eager to allow me to watch and learn from them.
We had to conform to the way Petsmart wanted things done for groomers and something it would be difficult to obtain their ideal standards such as grooming as many dogs that were booked and still have time to take a lunch break. Pleasing customers was always number 1.
I enjoyed learning everything I did and had some great co-workers along the way.
Pros
stepping stone to grooming world
Cons
Having bosses that didn't understand grooming
I enjoyed working with the animals
Pet Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC21 November 2016
I didn't get to work here for very long and during my time there the management changed a few times and it made work consistency amoungst the whole team weak
Decent work environment, good customers.
Cahier (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON17 November 2016
The overall work environment was good and the customers were great! Great discounts. Good products very educational.
Awesome management and genuine coworkers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
A typical day at work will always include helping customers, which is a big aspect that Petsmart takes pride in. Not only do we help customers, we always make time to take care of all the animals, which means feeding, , and cleaning all the cages.
Throughout the year at Petsmart i have learned many things. I have learned how to be more social with others. I have also learned an endless amount of information about how to take care of different animals like reptiles, fish, birds, and rodents. i am still learning new things ever shift.
The people i work with are very welcoming and fun. They make the job exciting because we are always talking about our pets at home and always learning from each other. The management as well is very good. They are very honest people and are very easy to approach if I have something wrong.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 November 2016
I love working at petsmart because you get to see new puppys and work with a great staff. the management is fair. the co workers are amazing. the most enjoyable part is the environment
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
minimual hours
Great Workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON7 November 2016
Employees are very friendly and easy to get along with. If you like working with pets and aren't afraid to get your hands a little dirty, this is the workplace for you.

Want to know more about PetSmart?

Ask a question
Really busy and fast paced
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON7 November 2016
I enjoyed working here, but it was a bit much for me. I was an early morning stocker and lifting the heavy bags of food was a bit much to do 4 hours straight with no breaks in the middle. the staff were very friendly and inviting and were always willing to help each other out. this was a great job it just wasn't for me.
busy working place
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON2 November 2016
working all kinds of working house such as; 7am-10pm.
there are all kinds of co-workers such as part time and full time.
learning all the time. with customer services skills.
not the best
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2016
the managers have their priorities wrong and they choose favourites which is stupid, give bad hours. this place reminds me of high school
a lot of drama
Pros
good co workers
Cons
poor management, bad hours, low pay
I enjoy the people but no room to advance
Cashier/Pet care associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 October 2016
part time- sometimes I cashier and some times I do stock. I would like to be able to learn more than what they have allowed me.
Pet Care Associate
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2016
A typical day at work would be getting to the store around 8:00am cleaning the cat cages one at a time wiping them down, scooping litter, refilling water and food, and giving the animals some love. Then moving on to the back rooms. Treating sick animals, refilling their water and food, spot cleaning their cages and filling out a chart with what you had done for them and whether they had improved or not. Next I take care of the animals on the floor refilling food and water, spot cleaning and checking to make sure they're all healthy. Then I feed the fish and spot clean their tanks.
I learnt a lot about individual animals and their specific needs and how to properly care for them. I also learnt a lot about customer service.
The management and my coworkers were great. They were very supportive and goal-oriented which pushed me to be better.
Everything about this job was enjoyable. I learned something new every single day, I loved being around the animals and caring for them, the people I worked with were awesome and it was just an overall great experience.
Fun work environment, friendly staff
Assist groomers (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB3 October 2016
Day's start by checking dogs in making sure they are healthy and, making sure we know what needs to be done with them. The hardest part of the job would probably be making sure the dogs are not endangering themselves or others around them. The best part is would be when the pet parent picks the dog up they are so happy and thankful, makes you feel like you did a good job.
Pros
Learning how to work with the animals.
Cons
Not enough pay.
fun and frendly
Groomers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 September 2016
Had a wonderful experience working with this company the employees are all super friendly and there to help if you need it always working together to make it a safe and fun work environment
Amazing Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON21 September 2016
Petsmart was an amazing company to have worked at. I really loved the managers and staff as well as the customers. I had a blast working there and I will always feel like it is family.
good for new workers
Cashier, Customer Service, stocking, dog trainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2016
This job is good for people to want a first time job or part time job, if you love animals. However, this job is only good for temporary employment in most cases there is no room for advancement.
Really bad and stressfull
Pet Stylist, Accredited Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  British Columbia5 September 2016
They don't take care of dogs or employees. Very stressful. Policies are NOT followed. Management doesn't care or do anything. Human resources doesn't do anything but talk to the manager. Nothing ever gets resolved. So much stress. Corruption
Pros
Cons
All of it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.