PetSmart Employee Reviews

P-------
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I enjoy my day at P-------. My day starts by doing some paper work that includes things like negative inventory, things to be written off or returned. I then assign tasks to other associates to do daily opening tasks like feeding the animals and sweeping. I then would count tills and the cash float and then open the tills so that they are ready for when the store opens. I have a very good relationship with my fellow co-workers. We all work together as a team and always know how to get things done while having a good time. The most enjoyable part of petsmart is when customers come in with their dogs and puppies looking to get something new. The dogs are always so joyful. The hardest part of being a supervisor at petsmart is having to deal with unsatisfied customers. Although, over time I have learned how to find a happy medium with the customer with both parties leaving the conversation happy and content.
Loved working with the animals!
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 22, 2016
How can you be in a bad mood around all those furry faces! Love working with the animals, feeding, cleaning up after them and of course cuddling. Learn a lot about nutritional benefits for several breeds of animals.
Productive day helping kittens find families
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 26, 2016
Typical day volunteering includes feeding the kittens, playing with them and ensuring they have a clean cage. Providing any information future owners may have regarding the animals. Also, filling out any paperwork involving adoptions.
corporate company through and through
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABAugust 10, 2015
I learned a lot working with petsmart. But the overall culture is'nt very professional. Management training is very good at all. I worked for the company for 4 1/2 years and as soon as i made some mistakes they fired me,
Pros
good benifets
Cons
Very high turn over rate
Fun workplace meeting puppies everyday
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 17, 2016
Petsmart is a welcoming environment. Fun meeting puppies and helping pet parents spoil their pets. Being a dog bather is great experience getting to pamper pets for their families.
Great place to learn and grow
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ONAugust 15, 2016
Excellent training program and benefits. Had a great time. I was able to further my career and move up as the process was defined.
Pros
Great personal and professional development programs
excellent place to work at
Part-time pet care specialist (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONAugust 30, 2016
petsmart was a great place to work, friendly co-workers, enjoyable work experience, and there was always a dog around to pet! great management in every department.
Positive atmosphere and people
Cat-Shelter Associate/ Associée (Former Employee) –  MississaugaMay 24, 2016
-Managers and supervisors go out of their way to make everyone feel at home
-Customers are talkative and respectful
-Store was very clean and
-Co-workers are very helpful
Pros
Regular interaction with animals, very positive atmosphere
Cons
Paperwork
Not bad but not great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 28, 2016
The overall environment was good, past-paced, never without something to do and a lot of opportunities to get ahead. However, the management allowed certain employees to slack and behave completely inappropriately because they hired friends. There was a lot of drama too. A decent place as a whole.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Management, drama
Well run company but very tightly managed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Various locationsJanuary 21, 2016
Well run but no room for interpretation, it is the company way or the highway. Very little feedback from the floor, very top down organization.
Pros
Good pay and bonus for managers
Cons
Long hours are expected, work/life balance is a joke
Amazing Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONSeptember 21, 2016
Petsmart was an amazing company to have worked at. I really loved the managers and staff as well as the customers. I had a blast working there and I will always feel like it is family.
cheap company /horrible pay/ bad managment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  ontario canadaAugust 26, 2016
I worked at Pertmart for 5 years.. they give little to no raises, my manager would usually find a way to not give you a raise. for instance you must get 3/5 rating to get a raise, no one will ever give you a 5 I was told that in person by management due to fact that the raise would be to much. So I was given a 3 by my direct manager and the store manager changed it to a 2.9 which means no raise for me. They push sales on you for the most ridiculous things, I mean how hard Is it to sell hair extensions for dogs ?? ( seriously?) . I was making the same amount per hour at 5 years as people who were just hired, minimum wage would go up and then ours would just stay the same.

our Christmas parties were in the center of the store, I'm which we had to bringo our own food to. I'm sure a multi million dollar company cant even afford to buy some food for staff. All you're equipment that you purchase also has to be maintained and sharpened out of your pocket even though most to all the money for grooms Is going to the company.

managers try to over run you with dogs, not caring that you havnt had a single break in 8 hours just as long as you are making the quota so they can get their big bonus at the end of the year ( but you doing all the hard work? not so much )

oh and prepare to have some war wounds, can be a dangerous job at times with some poorly behaved pets!

I could go on. basically they don't care about staff in the least bit. which is ultimately why I quit.
Pros
Cons
terrible pay/ bad managment / dont care about staff / no perks
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 8, 2016
Working at pet smart was a very good expierence, the staff was very nice they showed me the ropes fairly quickly and they made the enviroment very comfortable to be apart of.
Pros
Playing with puppies!
Cons
cleaning up after animals visiting
Amazing team and company to work for.
dog bather (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 15, 2016
Wonderful company who care about the well being of not only the customers but the staff as well. I learnt how to bath a dog and do general grooming of dogs. Co-worker are friendly and very willing to teach you how to do things. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer system and all the prices for different dogs. I enjoy everything about this job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enoughpay
Great Place to Learn great work experience.
Pet Care Assosiate, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONMay 7, 2016
Great place to learn work experience, but no room to grow with in the company. The store manager dose not give a great work environment always puts her employees on edge.
Pros
15% off employ discount
Cons
no consistency
great place to work
Animal care associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONApril 4, 2016
had a great time there, wonderful people, wonderful customers , and a very layed back job, the animals are awesome and the staff is one of the most inviting people you will meet , very easy to pick up the jobs there , must be able to multi task
Hard work, good people
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
Working with people who are passionate about their trade is a wonderful experience. Be prepared for long hours and lots of bits of knowledge
Great work place but management sucked
Pet Care Associate,Bather, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONMay 6, 2016
Loved working there customers were great for the most part. Petsmart employees actually do care for the animals rather well, better than most other petstores I've seen.
Love It
Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 9, 2016
I love working as a PetSmart associate but it is my goal to be able to pay for my own tuition in school and the hours they are providing just aren't practical for me.
Pros
Get to meet many people and animals
Cons
limited hours per week
Busy, high traffic workplace, fast day, great people.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 9, 2016
PetSmart is a great place to work, you're always busy, constantly on the move. Interacting with customers is a must, no matter what part of the store you work in. It's a great environment, as long as you're good with animals and pet parents.