PetSmart
1,330 reviews

PetSmart Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Busy and dynamic work place, very lots of varity
Dog Groomer (Current Employee), Duncan, BCJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: physical position woriking the animals
Cons: shift work that changed weekly
A typical work day within the salon, started with checking that all equipment is in good working order and that all the supplies necessary to complete each appointment were available. It is also important review the appointment schedule to make sure each dog has the appropraite time and stuff member. Throughtout the day I would be dealing with checking – more... in appointments, insuring I understood what was required from both Pet Parent and dog. Completing the groom, taking into consideration, the needs of the dog, health and safety requirements and the needs of the owner. I would also book in apppointments over the phone and in person. Answering customers questions in regards to brushes, nail trimmer and clipper was also an important part of my possistion. It was necessary to establish a good working relationship with all team members to ensure that the levels of stress were keep to a minimum, the atmosphere is the salon has a direct effect on the behavour and welbeing of the dogs. The most challenging part of the role is balancing all the demards and interuptions and completing the groom within the agreed time. Meeting a well loved and behaved dog that belonged to a caring owner was the highlight of the day. – less
Good starter job for young adults
Pet care/ Sales (Former Employee), Clareiview LocationJanuary 11, 2014
Typical day involved taken care of the animals both the healthy and the sick.
Helping customers find the animal that they want and showing them the proper way to take care of them.
Got along with most co-workers. Management was great at the time when I worked there. (No longer there)
Fun Volunteering Experience at Petsmart
Pet Shelter Volunteer (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: meeting nice people, working with animals, easy hours.
Working at Petsmart's various animal shelters for over two years really allowed me to experience what it's like to work with animals consistently. The hardest part of the job was the commute, which was an hour, and the fact that I would work alone in a small room. However, working with the customers and showing them around the shelter, acting as a matchmaker – more... to which animal would work best with their lifestyle, was worth it. – less
The staff was very rude
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 3, 2013
A typical day at work was stocking the shelves of pet food and pet care. I learned that no matter how nice can you be to customers they do not always treat you how you wish to be treated. My co-workers were extremely rude
Unfortunate Experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONDecember 3, 2013
Pros: customers are happy and the animals are always a great benefit to be around!
Cons: management needs sensitivity training and needs to hire a range of cultures.
At work as a cashier I would help customers find products, answer questions, answer the phone, and complete transactions. I learned how to operate a cash register and a lot of helpful information for pet help and care.
Management was not well. Aside from being switched often, many are rude and childlike, talking about employees and fellow staff behind – more... their back to employees and customers. They rarely would help staff, aside from a select few, and were generally lazy and rude.
Most of my coworkers got a long, however as mostly only females are hired, there was a lot of drama that management did not handle well. It was more like high school again.
The hardest part of the job was sucking up what you know is right and doing as you're told, because management really just doesn't care.
However, happy customers and adorable animals always could make a day get better. – less
Fun place to work, taking care of pets.
Bathe and Brusher (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABNovember 28, 2013
Petsmart was really fun, but there were downfalls with some of the management. My coworkers were fun, but there were some personal squabbles that cause our fantastic manager to quit, as well as the general store manager was replaced and it just turned into a downward spiral from there.
Too small facility for hotel and day camp
PetsHotel Staff (Former Employee), torontoNovember 21, 2013
Its has been a great experience to work along side some very knowledgeable staff, but in terms of animal care and the actual facility, it is quite lacking. The indoor facility where the day camp takes place is much to small especially for the large dogs and is not designed very well. for the most part staff are caring and attentive and focused on the – more... welfare of the dogs, but not surprisingly the managers are more focused on money then making sure the dogs are a good fit. There really seems to be no type of assessment done and dogs are just thrown into camp as long as they have their vaccines. Luckily a lot of dogs are great fits and seem to enjoy themselves but with the ones that do not(aggressive, high anxiety, or just do not like it) there is little done. Dogs that are very aggressive and continually cause fights are allowed to keep coming back and we are discouraged from telling the owners about any issues (or that their pet is not a good fit or does not enjoy it) unless in extreme cases because of, I'm assuming, loss of sales. As an associate we are definitely overworked and underpaid for the amount and type of work we do. As well as their doesn't seem to be enough training for those that are put into camp. A lot of the associates are not experienced in dog behavioural assessment and majority of us are not trained in pet first aid. While it was a good experience and most of the staff are friendly and knowledgeable, I think petsmart should stick to being exclusively a retail store. – less
Fantastic career advancement oportunities
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton ABOctober 14, 2013
Pros: greeting a variety of pets and pet parents
Fast paced, interaction with all staff and members of management on a daily basis. Time management is a must.
Fun and safe place to work
core, associate, cashier (Former Employee), coquitlemOctober 3, 2013
Pros: discount on pet supplies
Cons: n/a
Mainly stock, forklift training and dog body-language extremely useful skills.
Very good place to work.
Store Operations Managerl (Former Employee), London OntarioSeptember 17, 2013
Customer service focus. They always do what is right for the customer.
A total zoo
Cash/Core/Pet Care Associate (Current Employee), Abbotsford, BCSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: work with animals, fun coworkers, fun customers
Cons: idiotic managers, low pay, highly allergenic workplace (lots of hay, dust, dander, etc)
Definitely a fun job if you love animals.

There's a lot of different jobs you can do so there is something for everyone (stocking, grooming, training, customer service, working with the pets for sale, etc.)

The people I worked with were great and we all got along really well.

Management was nice enough, but completely moronic. Couldn't manage schedules – more... or allocate hours properly. Couldn't reprimand employees when they broke company policy. Did nothing about the rampant theft at my store except complain.

Wages were pretty average. Barely above minimum, sliiiiight raise after about a year.

Overall not a bad place to work, but be prepared to deal with managers who are legitimately so stupid you pity them. – less
Productive and good enviroment with dogs.
Assistant Groomer (Current Employee), Oakville, ONAugust 30, 2013
My typical day at work involves, bathing and brushing dogs, nail trims and ear cleaning, along with answering the phone and making appointments. My job is very customer service focused. I love working with both dogs and people. I really enjoy the interactions with people and their pets in my job and the ability to aid them in finding or doing what is – more... right for their dog. – less
fun with pets
Pet Care Expert (Former Employee), MississaugaAugust 28, 2013
working with pets and people were very fun
management was great
all coworkers are fun and very polite
Great Store Staff
Planogram Manager - Head Office (Current Employee), Burlington, OntarioAugust 14, 2013
The key to a great company is always found in the people that serve the customers!
good job for students
Stocker/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 11, 2013
good job for part time work, not the greatest management for hanging onto good employees.
fun and furry
Volunteer (Current Employee), Richmond Hil OntAugust 8, 2013
great place to learn about pets. The cats are cute and cuddly and co-workers are amazing . Hardest part is cleaning the litter box (PU) and the most enjoyable part is appending time with the cats.
Happy with the job
Cashier (Former Employee), Kanata, ONAugust 5, 2013
I worked at different locations in Ottawa for pet smart. I really loved working with a lot of the staff at two locations they took pride in their jobs, they were very organized and the hours were great. I enjoy working with people and most of all learning about animals and their needs on a daily basis.
Productive, fun and fast paced workplace
Pets Hotel Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Stoney Creek, ONJuly 15, 2013
Pros: working environment, the animals to work with and working with the customers
Cons: little hours
Petsmart is an enjoyable job for someone who enjoys working with dogs and cats and who loves to see the improvement they help to accomplish in pet behaviours. This workplace is never the same and very fast paced. It als gives you many different jobs to do within the workplace so that you are never bored of just doing one thing over and over again.
Need a quick opinion about my current status with this company...
Lead Stock (Current Employee), N/AMay 30, 2013
I started as a part-time stocker exactly a year ago @ $7.51 with 14 hrs a week minimum. After a 8 months, promoted to lead stock. And with more training with various tasks, I'm now making $8.34 with 23-30 hrs. More during the holidays. Btw, these ain't including breaks. As of now, these are the set of skills I learn and execute on a daily basis as well – more... as flaws as a PetSmart employee:

-Efficient forklift operator. (Probably one of the quickest if not fastest in my store to unload trucks and separating pallets with absolutely not product damage)
-Always keeping an organized and cleared receiving backroom.
-Can execute a negative inventory report, holes report, and inventory adjustment using SAP. (I was issued a password)
-Locate, print, and file required high dollar reports (truck days)
-Execute POG and resets successfully while taking time to help others.
-Cashier skills and always jump on available registers when lines exceed 3 customers.
-Usually its 2 (me and presentation manager) of us working trucks until a 3rd comes in to help 3 hrs later (not always). But by that time, I already have all of dog and some of hardgoods already worked.

Flaws: Always give customers an honest and helpful answer to the best of my ability. But I don't sell puppy kits as much as other cashiers. Although I'm quite quiet and keep to myself, I never ignore a customer down the isles whether they have a question or not. By quiet, I don't mean outcast, I get along with everyone in my store, both floor and salon but I'm not ALWAYS in the circle of conversations with the more chatty employees. No petcare training. Although I wouldn't mind obtaining it. While almost everyone has either an allergy or small fear of some of the animals we hold. I have no fear nor allergy to any. But they seem to have plenty of petcare maintenance people and value me more in the restocking department.

Either way I'm not sure whether or not I feel as if I'm being paid less for doing more than others in the same position in other stores.

Let me know your 2 cents... – less
Was a good Student Job.
Brusher (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 20, 2013
reasonable hours, unorganized management they were often confused and thought lowly of their staff.

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a specialty provider of products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The Company has identified – Read more