PetSmart Employee Reviews

fast pace fun work
Bather brusher (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 September 2017
I had a difficult time with the petsmart location in Vaughan the management was not very good. They would say one thing and do the next. when I was hired I was told I didn't have to work weekends because they knew I would not have babysitters because I had just relocated. two weeks in they booked me for a Saturday and sunday. I hear the location has new managers now. I also did not like that I was told I could learn to groom in the salon I was in and the next day I was told I had to relocate for a few months to attend the petsmart grooming school. My son was in school and I was not able to relocate at the time so they moved me from full time shifts to very minimal work. I was given one shift per week.
Pros
some days they had lunches paid for
Cons
they started me as part time with fulltime hours but did not give me benefits. Smart is right.
Fun and outgoing
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2017
Very fun if you like animals, hands on with many animals and in depth training to help make you feel comfortable doing your job. Friendly people to work with and I never felt uncomfortable asking anyone any questions. The hardest part was finding were every product would go on the shelves.
Pros
Work related activities
Cons
No flexibility with hours
Associate Lead (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 September 2017
Depending what field you go into at the store you will be very happy with what you are doing there.

Management tries their best to accommodate you and your family.

If you like working with animals in anyway shape or form, this is a great place to work.

Customers are usually friendly and not unruly.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Fun workplace to see animals
Store Cashier/ Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  South Surrey, BC10 September 2017
Overall the most fun and positive work place I have ever worked at. It's very exciting to see animals at work every day and to take care of the animals.
Pros
free giveaways
Cons
low wage
productive and fun
Petcare Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 September 2017
I personally really enjoyed working at my pet smart location.
If i had a bad day,its pretty big stress reliever to be around furry animals all day.but be warned if you don't like insects this is not the job for you. Feeding the reptiles is part of the job description,oh and be ready to be peed on.otherwise pretty awesome job.
Pros
always something to do
Cons
cleaning alot of feces
Large Store
Employee (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC27 August 2017
Sophisticated administration system. Other than that its the basic corporation with the same selling steps as other companies. Fun closing shifts and evenings.
Fun job for animal lovers
Pet Products Lead (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON26 August 2017
great job to have if you have a passion for customer service and animals. always oppurtunity to move up the ladder and great pay and benefits offered if the work ethic is there
Pros
great for animal lovers
Cons
management in office all day
Learning Everyday
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON25 August 2017
In the field of a sales Associate in Pet Retail, you tend to require having background and quite a bit of knowledge for pet care. Sometimes there are questions tossed at you which help you learn; either in discovering the information together or learning how to communicate with the customer. The most enjoyable part of work is the steady pace in which time passes quicker and the puppies and occasional cats that come in with their pet parents. The difficult part of work would be handling some of the rude and arrogant customers.
Pros
First and Last greet of Pets the come in
Cons
Getting jumped on by too excited dogs
50/50 not a great place not the worst
Bather (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB24 August 2017
I started with petsmart when the store was new. I left feeling sick with hatered for the new staff/ admin. So poorly managed, you don't get any real training, 1 week dose not get you ready to sell over 20 different types of animals. If the books from head office say it takes 5hrs to do a job, the managment will give you under 1h.
Pros
small town
Cons
paid weekly
great
early morning stocker (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON24 August 2017
§ Safely operate Sit Down Counterbalanced forklift
§ Offload trucks and perform receiving duties
§ Stock shelves and create attractive merchandise displays
Complete fresh product rotation to ensure customer satisfaction
Salon Manger/Groomer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 August 2017
not reviewing, hate that this forces you to review as I would prefer to review based on compete experience including leaving company as i work here i can not do this
opk
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON21 August 2017
I still think this is stupid and dumb i should not have to do this. I am going to close my accunt with indeed because og how dumb this is STOP THIS NOW
Hated it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  london on16 August 2017
Do not recommend working here. Impolite staff, impolite customers, no advancement, no training in different departments despite multiple requests and promises.
Pros
Cons
long
Most negative management team in history
worker (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 August 2017
They expect miracles but are unwilling to offer support or encouragement. They throw all employees under the bus, they have formally disciplined every management member for not accomplishing goals that they themselves never work towards. the manger is perpetually grumpy, the assistant has issues with dealing with members of the public and so hides in the office and is notably put out when she has to come out to deal with customers.
Productive and great environment
Doggy Daycare (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA14 August 2017
Great place to work with people who care about animals as much as you do. The people I worked with were very friendly and they were great at showing me the ropes and how things work and run.
Ok place, too much staff and management rotation
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2017
too much staff and management rotation, otherwise it is fine. Learned the basics of pet care (rodents, fish, reptiles). Management is mostly nice. Nice to work with pets.
Not Horrible, but not great
Pet-care Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 August 2017
Don't get me wrong, its a great place, the people are great and every thing along those lines. However, due to past experiences and horrible time off request allowance, It can be kind of hard to enjoy it there.
Hardest part of the mornings
Pros
animals
Cons
EARLY mornings
Not perfect but it's trying
Cashier/pet care/customer service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2017
A great and flexible job for someone who's in school or just looking for part time work. If someone is looking for a full time job immediately you might consider looking elsewhere because employees are advanced into higher positions so there's not often openings for fulltime. I started out as a cashier, then was cross trained in Petcare, and now I'm a supervisor after two years working here. So I'm very pleased with the progression. There is also flexibility when it comes to location, you can be transfered from store to store (I started out in Ottawa, then went to work in Kamloops)

The most frustrating part of working here would be on days you're understaffed. Unfortunately I think more hours need to be given out to stores so they can have a few extra hands to help with customers during those mid day rush hours.
Pros
Flexible, low stress, animals
Cons
Limited hours
its decent
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 August 2017
the associates and the animals make the job. most of the managers ive dealt with are a pain and customers there seem to be a little bit crazier than most. but its a pretty decent job over all.
Pros
dogs
Cons
management and short shifts
Back breaking work for little recognition
EARLY MORNING STOCKER (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB29 July 2017
Working in the warehouse was sketchy at best. The amount of hours given were awful and there was nothing management could do about it. You were expected to meet goals set out by management and yet it was never enough. The only reason why I stayed for so long was I loved my co-workers (including a few managers) and enjoyed not fighting traffic when commuting in the early mornings.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Poor hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.