PetSmart Employee Reviews

Ok place, too much staff and management rotation
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2017
too much staff and management rotation, otherwise it is fine. Learned the basics of pet care (rodents, fish, reptiles). Management is mostly nice. Nice to work with pets.
Not Horrible, but not great
Pet-care Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 August 2017
Don't get me wrong, its a great place, the people are great and every thing along those lines. However, due to past experiences and horrible time off request allowance, It can be kind of hard to enjoy it there.
Hardest part of the mornings
Pros
animals
Cons
EARLY mornings
Not a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON4 August 2017
I worked at PetSmart for 8 months, the managers didn't care about anyone or anything, they scheduled people out instead of firing them or laying them off. One of the managers would kill the pets instead of taking them to the vet. There was no consistency in application of processes and rules, and the return policy is a joke, they are bleeding money. My advice don't work there.
Not perfect but it's trying
Cashier/pet care/customer service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2017
A great and flexible job for someone who's in school or just looking for part time work. If someone is looking for a full time job immediately you might consider looking elsewhere because employees are advanced into higher positions so there's not often openings for fulltime. I started out as a cashier, then was cross trained in Petcare, and now I'm a supervisor after two years working here. So I'm very pleased with the progression. There is also flexibility when it comes to location, you can be transfered from store to store (I started out in Ottawa, then went to work in Kamloops)

The most frustrating part of working here would be on days you're understaffed. Unfortunately I think more hours need to be given out to stores so they can have a few extra hands to help with customers during those mid day rush hours.
Pros
Flexible, low stress, animals
Cons
Limited hours
its decent
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 August 2017
the associates and the animals make the job. most of the managers ive dealt with are a pain and customers there seem to be a little bit crazier than most. but its a pretty decent job over all.
Pros
dogs
Cons
management and short shifts
Back breaking work for little recognition
EARLY MORNING STOCKER (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB29 July 2017
Working in the warehouse was sketchy at best. The amount of hours given were awful and there was nothing management could do about it. You were expected to meet goals set out by management and yet it was never enough. The only reason why I stayed for so long was I loved my co-workers (including a few managers) and enjoyed not fighting traffic when commuting in the early mornings.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Poor hours
What can be better then being around cute fluffy animals all day?!
Associate Lead (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 July 2017
Petsmart is a fun and exciting place to work! Honestly, you never know sometimes whats going to walk through the doors!
Throughout the years at Petsmart I have learned to grow/expand with the company. I started off as a part-time cashier and I'm now part of management only a year and a bit later! The best part of the job, (not even the management part, just Petsmart in general) is seeing all the adorable cats and dogs/puppies that come in. The hardest part, is not being able to bring them home! It pains me to think of leaving Petsmart, but it's time for me as a person to move on!
Hello! Snuggling puppies everyday?? Could it be a better environment?
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC23 July 2017
Well run, well organized retailer truly focused on making moments matter for pets and pet parents . The company was very focused on training and creating a good work environment. Treated staff well
Never good enough
Merchandise and inventory manager (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 July 2017
As the title states, your assistant store leader, and store manager will get to sit in the office comfortable in AC all day, where as you as a floor manager will be used, and abused. You will never to able to achieve pet smarts goals, and the goals are always changing. Every couple of months your store will have a meeting to talk about some new initiative the company is taking, and it's always in a bad direction.
Pros
it ended
Cons
it began
Great place to work if you love pets
Grooming Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2017
I love working with the animals and making new friends at my job,
it is a good place to teach you the basics of grooming and atomy of dogs.
the hardest part of the job is trying to get to the grooming school. no matter how good you are they will over look you unless you fit into their mold.
The best job a animal lover could ask for.
Early morning stocker (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON11 July 2017
My time at petsmart was short but very amazing. My supervisors and co-workers were always amazing. I learned so much about retail and customer service. The hours are very flexible. Overall it is a very good work environment.
my opinion
Pet Care Lead (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON6 July 2017
i enjoyed petsmart in the beginning but eventually management changed n the joy i had for work slowly started leaving the job over all is very enjoyable
Pros
staff is wonderul and animals
Cons
management
Company has changed in recent years
Management (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON23 June 2017
It used to be a fun place to work. Now it's ALL work. Not enough staff, not enough payroll. New initiatives that focus on cost cutting and profits at the expense of customer service.
wouldn't recommend
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON16 June 2017
super busy environment, customer service experiences needed, animal care experiences needed, management could be improved, the hardest part is of the job is not being able to express your rights as an employee and super underpaid
Pros
association with animals
Cons
management and pay
Lots of fun
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 June 2017
loved working in the pet care department, working with all types of different species of animals and ensuring their proper care throughout the day made the job worth while,
fun environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC13 June 2017
fun place to work at if you love dogs and other small animals. i typical day for a cashier is near the cash register all day. i learned to help customers with the troubles they may have finding products.
Great summer workpalce
Cashier/Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 June 2017
This job really helped teaching it's employees patience. It was also really educational. A typical work day would be working wherever you were assigned. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help make a pet parent's life a little easier. The hardest part of the job was that management was a little young so they tended to gossip about the employees and it was really uncomfortable. However, the overall experience was pretty good. I have learned things about this place that have made me a better pet parent.
Grooming was great, toxic environment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 June 2017
Every Salon experience is going to be different. I happened to be in a Salon where I felt the dogs were not cared for but just seen as an income opportunity. Some very talented groomers but management only saw the dogs and dollars and not family members. Management also pushed groomers past the point where we felt the grooms were getting unsafe for the dogs.
Pros
Working with dogs
Cons
long hours with no breaks, careless leadership
You're just another number
Orderfill Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 June 2017
The benefits given by this company is remarkable. Unfortunately that does not compensate for the lack of job security. Associates and supervisors are fired at an alarming rate. Don't count on retiring from this company.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Never knowing if you will have a job tomorrow
Terrible management
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB31 May 2017
Management was terrible, as well as petty. Constantly going behind employees backs and not listening to scheduleing requests, was never enough staff scheduled.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.