PetSmart Employee Reviews

Fun, but lack of career trajectory and direction.
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB20 April 2017
Petsmart is a typical pet store that brands itself as a pet-care retail experience where the staff and managers are knowledgeable and really want to help your pets.

In reality the company model is based off of aesthetics like being able to bring your dog into the store, and convincing the consumer to purchase unnecessary goods and services for their pet.

In terms of pets sold, Petsmart emphasizes selling animals with quick turnover to make profit, while trying to make up for their lack of welfare for their pets by running charities or adoption programs.

Great for part time students, etc, but bad for anyone hoping for a career that doesn't require selling out of morals and ethics and dignity.
Pros
Colorful working environment, pets
Cons
Oppressive management, backwards business model, lack of career trajectory.
Fun place good people
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC20 April 2017
Fun place with lots of room to learn and grow. Good people to work with with great management for the most part. Not to keen on giving breaks though. r
Great Co-Workers, Difficult Management
Pet Care Associate/Cashier/Stocking (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2017
The company itself is very bottom dollar and the store I worked at had a revolving door of managers that left the store in complete disarray. The employees were all lovely and everyone had a real and genuine passion for pets.

You have to fight for your raise once you've been there for a year and the raise is a small percentage based off a grading scale.
Pros
Passionate co-workers and cuddling puppies
Cons
disorganized management, low pay, poor training
A very good place to work
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 April 2017
It's an awesome place to work, management is amazing. They will take you into consideration with regards to your schedule. I love working with all my co-workers, they will help you out to the best of their abilities.
Great Trade to have
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 April 2017
I enjoy working at PetSmart and my time there as a Pet Stylist has been very educational and enjoyable.

The company offers a lot for its employees in terms of benefits for both full time and part time staff.
Good place to get a taste of retail.
Inventory Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 April 2017
If you are looking to start in retail.... This is a good place to begin. A challenging place to work. Fun people to work with. If you're an animal lover you'll really enjoy seeing and working with all the different animals.
Fun workplace
Sales (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 April 2017
Petsmart was a fun workplace to be at. I love animals and working/meeting new people. I would interact with the animals daily, clean the cages, feed them, help answer customers questions, take out garbage, sweep and mop floors.
Not a good place to work
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2017
As a Groomer you are required to work long hours and are discouraged to take your lunch break or other breaks. you end up working 10 hours a day, and only being paid your 8 hour day.
You are always over booked and under staffed, the customers yell at you because either the grooms are rushed and the dogs groom is a hack job or you take to long with the dog and are late in returning the dog to the client.
the managers do not normally care for the employees health or safety and normally do not have the groomers back in an argument with the customer.
if you get injured by a dog it is your fault normally and you are not given enough time off to heal.
Cons
very long work hours, company does not care for the employees
A place pets come first
Assitant Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB30 March 2017
Good place to work. Working with a large team in several department's to help serve pet parents and giving them the best possible service. Possible to grow in many areas of the business.
The dogs are the best part of the job
Petshotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 March 2017
The management could definitely use some work. Favorites are played and that's not very ethical in my opinion. Some managers are more lenient towards certain employees when it comes to policy and procedure and harder on others , creating a grey area for rules in place by the company. The job itself is very rewarding if you love animals as you develop relationships with them and their owners. I loved spending time with the animals and there was never a time where I dreaded going to work with the animals it was just the people.
Pros
animal bonding
Cons
immature staff, lack of professionalism
Very productive work place
Pet Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB27 March 2017
For a year i worked as the CEL Pet Care manager and i loved it .. until store managers chanced and then there were a lot of issues not only with me but the other managers and staff as well.
Pros
people discount animals
Cons
Fun place to work and great environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 March 2017
I loved volenteering there and loved the environment. I never felt under pressure and if I had any questions there was always someone to help me out. Loved the work space and everyone was so friendly and inviting.
Productive and fast paste environment
DOG GROOMER TRAINEE (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB23 March 2017
I enjoyed working there, they would just need to work more like a team when closing the salon at night instead of relying on one person to do it all. Same with walk-in nail trims.

At times I felt like I was being treated like the Cinderella of the place... Salaries was minimum salary, I don't think it was enough for all the work I was doing.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
One person to do it all
Petsmart
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC22 March 2017
I overall had a very great experience and loved the atmosphere. I felt very accepted by the management. I'm aiming for earlier hours than night shifts!
Good first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC21 March 2017
Although I wouldn't say PetSmart is right for everyone long term, the job offers many part-time opportunities for new entrants to the work market. The work is mostly fun, and managers get to know each associate and do their best to work your shifts around your schedule and preferences.
Pros
Employee discount, working with animals depending on position, extra 10 cents per hour for uniform cleaning cost
Cons
Catty co-workers, occasionally silly scheduling
Fun place to work
Early morning stocker, Cashier, Helped (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB20 March 2017
Enjoyed my job there while I was there, Fun place to work good management, started my day around 5 am everyday, not much I would of changed at all.
Hardest part of the job was the early hours
Great Place to Work Part-time
Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON20 March 2017
Loved my time with Petsmart. Great company to work for and great management. Love meeting new parents and their pets. Was great with getting time off if needed. Flexible with shifts
Pros
Work in setting with animals
great place
Petcare associate/Cashier/Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 March 2017
fun to work there. management is great and are very flexible with getting days off. the environment is great to work in. all fellow employees are friendly.
Great company, but didn't follow rules where necessary
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 March 2017
I was an ASM that put dog food on the shelf every day. The store was not as successful as they had hoped so hours were cut back very quickly, which I completely understand due to lack of sales. They were planning on a second store in the next year but put it on hold due to being unsuccessful. I felt that associates weren't held accountable enough. Rules were broken often...
It's a really great place to volunteer because the people are very nice and friendly
Pet smart volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 March 2017
While I was volunteering here it definitely gives you good hours at the adopt a thon usually about 4 to 5 hours and that goes to my volunteer hours for school. Great work environment and it's clean.
Pros
Clean and fun to be around because of the pets and people working there
Cons
On occasion it was hard to find supplies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval