PetSmart

PetSmart Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
You are better than PetSmart
Groomer (Former Employee), HamiltonApril 17, 2014
Pros: meeting some cute dogs
Cons: no breaks, horrible pay, health problems, horrible staff
Grooming salon is busy, the girls are gossipers so know you will always be talked about. You get paid minimum wage for getting bit, hurting your back and getting wrist problems. You are expected to work every weekend and also expected to handle dogs that bit you. If you have a soul, dont work here or you will loose it.
Great atmosphere
Stocking Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton ABMarch 31, 2014
Pros: easygoing management
Cons: poor scheduling
Working at Petsmart was one of the most enjoyable jobs I've ever had. Not because of the nature of the work nor the place of work, what made working at Petsmart enjoyable was the people I was working with.
It is a great place to work but inconsistent hours
Lead Cashier (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 21, 2014
Pros: lots of rewards for good work
Cons: short hours such as 3 hour shifts
It is a fun place to work as you meet lots of interesting people and their pets. I have learned a lot about different types of food available to pet parents. I can do numerous jobs there such as cashier, planograms, stock , pricing and out of date. The hardest part of this job is the way they do scheduling.
Fun job
Pets hotel pet care specialist (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 12, 2014
It was a fun work environment with the dogs. I loved coming into work as I could work with the animals and enjoy my days.
Love the Environment
Customer Service Specialist / Sales Associate (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 5, 2014
Pros: position advancement, flexable hours, great co-workers
Cons: slow management process
Working for PetSmart has its perks, being around animals and making sure that all pet parents have the best possible nutritional value for their pet, regardless of what kind. Customer service would help with customer feel like they can trust employees in regards to their animals .
PetStore - retail, Dog grooming, Dog Traing and PetsHotel
Store Director (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: the animals and the customers. staff training.
PetSmart is a very busy and lively retail environment which allows people to bring their pets into the store. There are several different aspects to this company from Dog training to Grooming and the PetsHotel. All of the PetSmart associates and managers have a great love for animals which in turn creates a very happy, positive work environment. This – more... is a great option for students who love animals to seek employment. There is much room for advancement for individuals looking to stay within the retail and PetCare environment. – less
company sucks, have horrible management
Bath & Brusher (Former Employee), london onFebruary 5, 2014
manegment is horrible

job is wonderful, rewarding, fun. but the people you work for can ruin it fast.

bath brush dogs
trim nails
clean bathing area
clean front entrance
Great workplace with amazing envrionment
Pet care (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 2, 2014
There was bad management however, it was a great environment. The coworkers were great and taking care of the animals was enjoyable.
Busy and dynamic work place, very lots of varity
Dog Groomer (Current Employee), Duncan, BCJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: physical position woriking the animals
Cons: shift work that changed weekly
A typical work day within the salon, started with checking that all equipment is in good working order and that all the supplies necessary to complete each appointment were available. It is also important review the appointment schedule to make sure each dog has the appropraite time and stuff member. Throughtout the day I would be dealing with checking – more... in appointments, insuring I understood what was required from both Pet Parent and dog. Completing the groom, taking into consideration, the needs of the dog, health and safety requirements and the needs of the owner. I would also book in apppointments over the phone and in person. Answering customers questions in regards to brushes, nail trimmer and clipper was also an important part of my possistion. It was necessary to establish a good working relationship with all team members to ensure that the levels of stress were keep to a minimum, the atmosphere is the salon has a direct effect on the behavour and welbeing of the dogs. The most challenging part of the role is balancing all the demards and interuptions and completing the groom within the agreed time. Meeting a well loved and behaved dog that belonged to a caring owner was the highlight of the day. – less
Good starter job for young adults
Pet care/ Sales (Former Employee), Clareiview LocationJanuary 11, 2014
Typical day involved taken care of the animals both the healthy and the sick.
Helping customers find the animal that they want and showing them the proper way to take care of them.
Got along with most co-workers. Management was great at the time when I worked there. (No longer there)
Fun Volunteering Experience at Petsmart
Pet Shelter Volunteer (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: meeting nice people, working with animals, easy hours.
Working at Petsmart's various animal shelters for over two years really allowed me to experience what it's like to work with animals consistently. The hardest part of the job was the commute, which was an hour, and the fact that I would work alone in a small room. However, working with the customers and showing them around the shelter, acting as a matchmaker – more... to which animal would work best with their lifestyle, was worth it. – less
The staff was very rude
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 3, 2013
A typical day at work was stocking the shelves of pet food and pet care. I learned that no matter how nice can you be to customers they do not always treat you how you wish to be treated. My co-workers were extremely rude
Unfortunate Experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONDecember 3, 2013
Pros: customers are happy and the animals are always a great benefit to be around!
Cons: management needs sensitivity training and needs to hire a range of cultures.
At work as a cashier I would help customers find products, answer questions, answer the phone, and complete transactions. I learned how to operate a cash register and a lot of helpful information for pet help and care.
Management was not well. Aside from being switched often, many are rude and childlike, talking about employees and fellow staff behind – more... their back to employees and customers. They rarely would help staff, aside from a select few, and were generally lazy and rude.
Most of my coworkers got a long, however as mostly only females are hired, there was a lot of drama that management did not handle well. It was more like high school again.
The hardest part of the job was sucking up what you know is right and doing as you're told, because management really just doesn't care.
However, happy customers and adorable animals always could make a day get better. – less
Fun place to work, taking care of pets.
Bathe and Brusher (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABNovember 28, 2013
Petsmart was really fun, but there were downfalls with some of the management. My coworkers were fun, but there were some personal squabbles that cause our fantastic manager to quit, as well as the general store manager was replaced and it just turned into a downward spiral from there.
Too small facility for hotel and day camp
PetsHotel Staff (Former Employee), torontoNovember 21, 2013
Its has been a great experience to work along side some very knowledgeable staff, but in terms of animal care and the actual facility, it is quite lacking. The indoor facility where the day camp takes place is much to small especially for the large dogs and is not designed very well. for the most part staff are caring and attentive and focused on the – more... welfare of the dogs, but not surprisingly the managers are more focused on money then making sure the dogs are a good fit. There really seems to be no type of assessment done and dogs are just thrown into camp as long as they have their vaccines. Luckily a lot of dogs are great fits and seem to enjoy themselves but with the ones that do not(aggressive, high anxiety, or just do not like it) there is little done. Dogs that are very aggressive and continually cause fights are allowed to keep coming back and we are discouraged from telling the owners about any issues (or that their pet is not a good fit or does not enjoy it) unless in extreme cases because of, I'm assuming, loss of sales. As an associate we are definitely overworked and underpaid for the amount and type of work we do. As well as their doesn't seem to be enough training for those that are put into camp. A lot of the associates are not experienced in dog behavioural assessment and majority of us are not trained in pet first aid. While it was a good experience and most of the staff are friendly and knowledgeable, I think petsmart should stick to being exclusively a retail store. – less
Fantastic career advancement oportunities
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton ABOctober 14, 2013
Pros: greeting a variety of pets and pet parents
Fast paced, interaction with all staff and members of management on a daily basis. Time management is a must.
Fun and safe place to work
core, associate, cashier (Former Employee), coquitlemOctober 3, 2013
Pros: discount on pet supplies
Cons: n/a
Mainly stock, forklift training and dog body-language extremely useful skills.
Very good place to work.
Store Operations Managerl (Former Employee), London OntarioSeptember 17, 2013
Customer service focus. They always do what is right for the customer.
A total zoo
Cash/Core/Pet Care Associate (Current Employee), Abbotsford, BCSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: work with animals, fun coworkers, fun customers
Cons: idiotic managers, low pay, highly allergenic workplace (lots of hay, dust, dander, etc)
Definitely a fun job if you love animals.

There's a lot of different jobs you can do so there is something for everyone (stocking, grooming, training, customer service, working with the pets for sale, etc.)

The people I worked with were great and we all got along really well.

Management was nice enough, but completely moronic. Couldn't manage schedules – more... or allocate hours properly. Couldn't reprimand employees when they broke company policy. Did nothing about the rampant theft at my store except complain.

Wages were pretty average. Barely above minimum, sliiiiight raise after about a year.

Overall not a bad place to work, but be prepared to deal with managers who are legitimately so stupid you pity them. – less
Productive and good enviroment with dogs.
Assistant Groomer (Current Employee), Oakville, ONAugust 30, 2013
My typical day at work involves, bathing and brushing dogs, nail trims and ear cleaning, along with answering the phone and making appointments. My job is very customer service focused. I love working with both dogs and people. I really enjoy the interactions with people and their pets in my job and the ability to aid them in finding or doing what is – more... right for their dog. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About PetSmart

PetSmart, Inc. is a retail chain doing business in the United States and Canada engaged in the sale of specialty pet supplies – Read more