PetSmart Employee Reviews

Productive and fast paste environment
DOG GROOMER TRAINEE (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB23 March 2017
I enjoyed working there, they would just need to work more like a team when closing the salon at night instead of relying on one person to do it all. Same with walk-in nail trims.

At times I felt like I was being treated like the Cinderella of the place... Salaries was minimum salary, I don't think it was enough for all the work I was doing.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
One person to do it all
Fun Workplace
Pet Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2017
PetSmart is a wonderful place to work. I have had nothing but a wonderful experience working there.I have the wonderful coworkers and management. The culture is something I have never experience in any previous positions. I find myself enjoying spending time at work and never dreading any day.

A typical day at work involves a lot of customer interactions. Although PetSmart is a retail position when dealing with questions about and care for people's animal it involves a very strong sense of customer care.

However, having worked there for over four years I believe I have outgrown my position there. Working here has been a joy, there is just a lack of room for advancement.
cheap company /horrible pay/ bad managment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  ontario canada26 August 2016
I worked at Pertmart for 5 years.. they give little to no raises, my manager would usually find a way to not give you a raise. for instance you must get 3/5 rating to get a raise, no one will ever give you a 5 I was told that in person by management due to fact that the raise would be to much. So I was given a 3 by my direct manager and the store manager changed it to a 2.9 which means no raise for me. They push sales on you for the most ridiculous things, I mean how hard Is it to sell hair extensions for dogs ?? ( seriously?) . I was making the same amount per hour at 5 years as people who were just hired, minimum wage would go up and then ours would just stay the same.

our Christmas parties were in the center of the store, I'm which we had to bringo our own food to. I'm sure a multi million dollar company cant even afford to buy some food for staff. All you're equipment that you purchase also has to be maintained and sharpened out of your pocket even though most to all the money for grooms Is going to the company.

managers try to over run you with dogs, not caring that you havnt had a single break in 8 hours just as long as you are making the quota so they can get their big bonus at the end of the year ( but you doing all the hard work? not so much )

oh and prepare to have some war wounds, can be a dangerous job at times with some poorly behaved pets!

I could go on. basically they don't care about staff in the least bit. which is ultimately why I quit.
Pros
Cons
terrible pay/ bad managment / dont care about staff / no perks
Great place to learn and grow
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON15 August 2016
Excellent training program and benefits. Had a great time. I was able to further my career and move up as the process was defined.
Pros
Great personal and professional development programs
very causal working environment
Sales Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON15 August 2016
I like their crossing training. Meaning you get trained for almost every aspect that needed in the store.

the great thing about working with PetSmart is that I can help pet parents and their lovely pets.
Pros
friendly co worker
Cons
low pay/minium benefits package
Loved working with the animals!
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 August 2016
How can you be in a bad mood around all those furry faces! Love working with the animals, feeding, cleaning up after them and of course cuddling. Learn a lot about nutritional benefits for several breeds of animals.
run the other way
petcare (Former Employee) –  ontario27 February 2017
This place is a joke to work for. The only good thing about it is there's always something to do and obviously the animals. If you're a true animal advocate I don't suggest working here.. Especially in the pet care department . they have no idea how to take care of reptiles and company procedures and policies are not reflective of what's best for the animals. I don't know how many bearded dragons and other reptiles I seen get sick and pass away over my three years there.. It was depressing and unnecessary. Reptile supplier clearly had no idea what they were doing and I can guarantee you they were inbreeding and their environment was improper and unsanitary. When brought up to management to see if switching to a better supplier was an option we were basically told no and nothing they could do. Got reminded frequently very visits are unnecessary because it's cheaper to let them die as they are just a "product". Would never ever EVER recommend this place to anybody. Not even to shop there !!
Fun environment
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 February 2017
My experience working with dogs all day is a dream come true. I learned responsibility, time management. The hardest part is dealing with over protective pet parents. Most enjoyable part is the time spent with 15 dogs in a room.
Pros
Play with dogs all day
Cons
long hours on feet
Terrible company. Slave drivers
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON16 March 2016
As a vet tech for 10 years, I was beyond disgusted over the care given to animals in their store. We had yellow fungus outbreaks on bearded dragons, the stores policy for keeping it from spreading was pitiful and not trained to staff. We had goldfish feeders that were dropping by the minute on the floor but the manager tried to say that it was NORMAL.. one morning there was 112 feeders dead. Explain that to customers!

Seriously... just stay away. They pay under minimum wage. The hours are terrible. They don't care about their employees or the animals. This is your warning!!
Pros
Not much
Cons
bad pay, over worked, no benefits, no breaks, rude management, terrible company
Awesome management and genuine coworkers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
A typical day at work will always include helping customers, which is a big aspect that Petsmart takes pride in. Not only do we help customers, we always make time to take care of all the animals, which means feeding, , and cleaning all the cages.
Throughout the year at Petsmart i have learned many things. I have learned how to be more social with others. I have also learned an endless amount of information about how to take care of different animals like reptiles, fish, birds, and rodents. i am still learning new things ever shift.
The people i work with are very welcoming and fun. They make the job exciting because we are always talking about our pets at home and always learning from each other. The management as well is very good. They are very honest people and are very easy to approach if I have something wrong.
Dead end job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2016
Greta job if all your trying to do is get by financially and don't see yourself staying in this position forever. Good interim job while your getting an education to have a real career
Pros
everyone loves animals
Cons
no room for advancement, poor management.
Worst place ever
Pet Care Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 March 2017
My particular location was ridiculous. We had to set up the store in 3 weeks and the entire time my manager just barked at everyone. I was given very little training on how to handle the animals and no product knowledge. I was then laid off a day before my 3 months were up due to me having been very vocal about how the animals were being mistreated. Oh and sitting while I was fixing a display on the bottom shelf (so for being "lazy"). I know this sounds like a person just being really bitter but honestly I have worked a lot of places and have never been so disrespected as a human being. The staff turn over was every couple weeks which is pretty sad.
Pros
Cons
everything
Enjoyable friendly envorinment
Cashier/Merchandise Stocker (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC20 January 2017
My typical day at work always varied, I am trained for all areas of the store except for management, including bathing dogs. Some days I would be stocking the shelves where as other days I'd be selling the live animals or being a cashier. Then there were the days I bathed the dogs in the grooming salon.
I learned a great deal about animals from working at petsmart, through the monthly courses that are mandatory to watch and from other employees and even customers. I found that every day I was learning something new, even after the amount of time I've been there for.
My management and other employees have been some of the best people I could ask to work with. Everyone tried really hard to make sure everybody was having a good day at work and that we kept the environment friendly and positive not just for us but for customers as well.
I would say the hardest part about the job, would the the emotional aspect when you have a customer who comes in wanting to donate their pets things because they have passed away.
Where as the most enjoyable part would have to be helping a customer set up for getting a new pet, or getting to meet their new family members.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Not enough hours
Enjoyed working with the live animals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gateway Park Drive Kitchener23 December 2016
I never had a typical day at Pet Smart. I did everything from cleaning, pricing, scheduling, empty shelf audits, shipping, receiving. cash. Really any thing that I was able to learn I did. The upper management was good. My co-workers were younger but always willing to learn. The hardest part of my job was trying to always stay on top of rotating products. Always enjoyed seeing the customers with their pets.
Pros
Live pets
Cons
Ratation of the products
Learned the beginning of dog grooming
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON24 November 2016
Petsmart was a stepping stone into the grooming world. I learned the basics from their grooming academy however anything beyond that was left up to myself to learn by watching other groomers I worked with. Luckily the other groomers were eager to allow me to watch and learn from them.
We had to conform to the way Petsmart wanted things done for groomers and something it would be difficult to obtain their ideal standards such as grooming as many dogs that were booked and still have time to take a lunch break. Pleasing customers was always number 1.
I enjoyed learning everything I did and had some great co-workers along the way.
Pros
stepping stone to grooming world
Cons
Having bosses that didn't understand grooming
Pet Care Associate
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2016
A typical day at work would be getting to the store around 8:00am cleaning the cat cages one at a time wiping them down, scooping litter, refilling water and food, and giving the animals some love. Then moving on to the back rooms. Treating sick animals, refilling their water and food, spot cleaning their cages and filling out a chart with what you had done for them and whether they had improved or not. Next I take care of the animals on the floor refilling food and water, spot cleaning and checking to make sure they're all healthy. Then I feed the fish and spot clean their tanks.
I learnt a lot about individual animals and their specific needs and how to properly care for them. I also learnt a lot about customer service.
The management and my coworkers were great. They were very supportive and goal-oriented which pushed me to be better.
Everything about this job was enjoyable. I learned something new every single day, I loved being around the animals and caring for them, the people I worked with were awesome and it was just an overall great experience.
Fun and friendly workplace, exciting and fast-paced work environment
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON16 December 2016
A typical day at work would start with me greeting whoever was working the Pet Care department before me, and receiving the keys and work phone from them. I would ask what tasks were completed and what still needs to be done to determine what needs to be completed. I assist customers as I complete required tasks, and when all tasks are completed I focus on caring for the animals, such as making sure all bedding is clean, all food and water dishes are clean and filled, and making sure all the animals are healthy.
Pros
Friendly Co-Workers and Fun Work Environment
Cons
Can be hectic and busy at times
Good first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC21 March 2017
Although I wouldn't say PetSmart is right for everyone long term, the job offers many part-time opportunities for new entrants to the work market. The work is mostly fun, and managers get to know each associate and do their best to work your shifts around your schedule and preferences.
Pros
Employee discount, working with animals depending on position, extra 10 cents per hour for uniform cleaning cost
Cons
Catty co-workers, occasionally silly scheduling
Very productive work place
Pet Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB27 March 2017
For a year i worked as the CEL Pet Care manager and i loved it .. until store managers chanced and then there were a lot of issues not only with me but the other managers and staff as well.
Pros
people discount animals
Interesting Job
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB2 February 2017
Decent Job
- Management was very nice but could train there employees better.
- Most enjoyable part is working with the animals.
- hardest part of the job was i felt i wasn't trained on everything and sometimes it was hard to track down someone to help me, as well as being there for customers.
Pros
management
Cons
not very much hands on training

66%