PetSmart Employee Reviews

Wonderful Environment
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON25 May 2017
PetSmart was an amazing company to work for. The only reason I am leaving Ottawa is due to housing and school. I work in the Pethotel, running day camp. I also have duties such as cleaning, feeding, check in's and check out's, and individual care. The management team has been amazing and very accommodating to all of their employee's. I can't express how much I love working with animals everyday. I hope to continue in a field of work with a similar atmosphere and with animals.
Unique, Fast paced retail environment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  835 Eglington Avenue East23 May 2017
Day to day work at Pet Smart was fine, tasks were not overly difficult. For the most part you will find friendly co workers with a love for animals.
I received next to no training and I never received any follow ups with any management. It was clear to me that I was only ever a burden to the company. Not all the cages and habitats sold in store are acceptable to put any animal in. It is very clear that no one who is higher up in management cares at all about the well being of animals or even know anything about the live animals they sell in their stores. They do not provide correct information on most of the live animals sold as well. So if you work there and want to actually give animals the best care possible... Just work as a cashier.
Pros
Customers bring friendly dogs into the store
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 May 2017
A typical day at Petsmart is greeting customers, asking if they need help with anything, selling fish,small animals,birds and reptiles.
I have learned a lot working at Petsmart, I've learned about fish, what kind of fish can live with each other, what size tanks they need, same with small animals and birds. It's very interesting. The managment there is great, they are very understanding, very friendly
and strict when need to be. The hardest part about working there is trying to find different ways to explain the same thing to people,also having to care for all animals, trying to remember certain things about them, also being a cashier, trying to remember prices and sales that are going on in the store. But the most enjoyable part of working with Petsmart is being able to see animals on a daily basic, having regular customers, great co-workers and management.
Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 May 2017
Long days, not a ton of foot traffic.

Nice to see your impact on pet parents.

Enjoyed seeing kids getting their first pets.

Overall decent place to work.
Pets are fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2017
Very nice people long hours, lower pay than average in big box stores. Pets were fun.

Very heavy lifting at times, Stock rotation a constant battle but required for safety and customer satisfaction
Horrible Management
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 May 2017
A good work place really depends on the people that surround you and good management is what makes or breaks associates. This has been the worse management I have ever experienced and I have no idea how almost all the managers at my store were hired. They are all incompetent, show clear favoritism, and don't do anything except give excuses that seem extremely dismissive when you come with complaints. The company says they have an open door policy but all it seemed like to me was just a door for them to shut you out if they don't like you anymore. I went to them with reasonable complaints such as schedules not being placed out in time (only 2 days before the next week when they're supposed to be 2 WEEKS in advance), horrible scheduling where there would be only 2 associates working in the entire store, needing help in pet care, etc. Except they twisted my feelings to make it seem like I'm only feeling this way because I was going through some personal trauma (like my grandfather passing and getting my car broken in to). However a few months have passed and I still feel the same so it's most definitely not because of that...
Mostly all the pet care associates and a few others feel this place is toxic due to poor management. I enjoy the animals, I enjoyed what I was doing, but the workplace culture is horrendous. All they focus on is sales when really they forget about the animal care aspect of the store especially because we have LIVE ANIMALS AND FISH.
Honestly, if they had hired competent management none of this would happen. There are more things wrong with this place and
  more... this is only the start. For the sake of keeping it short I won't talk about it all. In short however, they really need to do something about training their managers properly, stop cutting hours, and focus more on animal care instead of greedy sales.  less
Cons
Short hours, understaffed, worse managers in the world
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 May 2017
it is a productive, friendly and comfortable environment. everyone and their pets are welcome. The store's atmosphere is well combined with their excellent customer service.
Decent place for highschool students
Pet Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2017
Decent place for highschool students to work, high turnover rates. Management when I was there was not great but maybe it is better now. Pay isn't very good for the amount of work required as a manager. Definitely not a long term job
Productive fun workplace where you can work with animals
CUSTOMER ENGAGEMENT LEADER (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON7 May 2017
A typical day at work would be coming in and looking at the daily work task sheet and managing your time to complete every task. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the animals and seeing dogs and puppies everyday.
fun playing with the animals
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON6 May 2017
I hated being a cashier there. I was the only one who had to work both weekend days out of all the cashiers and i had my hours cut when i tried to only work one weekend day too. I developed a very bad allergy to cats while working there and couldn't do the tasks n the cat area of the hotel and was scolded many times for it even though it wasn't my fault.
I've worked here for 6 years and have loved it
Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 April 2017
PetSmart has been a wonderful source of income and responsibility for me since I was in high school. I am now in teacher's college 6 years later and they have supported me every step of the way by working around my schedule and providing me with enough hours to supplement my education.
Pros
Playing with dogs, cats, etc., Meeting new people with mutual interests
Cons
Cleaning up after animals, as it distracts from other, more pressing responsibilities
Fun, but lack of career trajectory and direction.
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB20 April 2017
Petsmart is a typical pet store that brands itself as a pet-care retail experience where the staff and managers are knowledgeable and really want to help your pets.

In reality the company model is based off of aesthetics like being able to bring your dog into the store, and convincing the consumer to purchase unnecessary goods and services for their pet.

In terms of pets sold, Petsmart emphasizes selling animals with quick turnover to make profit, while trying to make up for their lack of welfare for their pets by running charities or adoption programs.

Great for part time students, etc, but bad for anyone hoping for a career that doesn't require selling out of morals and ethics and dignity.
Pros
Colorful working environment, pets
Cons
Oppressive management, backwards business model, lack of career trajectory.
Fun place good people
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC20 April 2017
Fun place with lots of room to learn and grow. Good people to work with with great management for the most part. Not to keen on giving breaks though. r
Great Co-Workers, Difficult Management
Pet Care Associate/Cashier/Stocking (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2017
The company itself is very bottom dollar and the store I worked at had a revolving door of managers that left the store in complete disarray. The employees were all lovely and everyone had a real and genuine passion for pets.

You have to fight for your raise once you've been there for a year and the raise is a small percentage based off a grading scale.
Pros
Passionate co-workers and cuddling puppies
Cons
disorganized management, low pay, poor training
A very good place to work
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 April 2017
It's an awesome place to work, management is amazing. They will take you into consideration with regards to your schedule. I love working with all my co-workers, they will help you out to the best of their abilities.
Great Trade to have
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 April 2017
I enjoy working at PetSmart and my time there as a Pet Stylist has been very educational and enjoyable.

The company offers a lot for its employees in terms of benefits for both full time and part time staff.
Good place to get a taste of retail.
Inventory Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 April 2017
If you are looking to start in retail.... This is a good place to begin. A challenging place to work. Fun people to work with. If you're an animal lover you'll really enjoy seeing and working with all the different animals.
Fun workplace
Sales (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 April 2017
Petsmart was a fun workplace to be at. I love animals and working/meeting new people. I would interact with the animals daily, clean the cages, feed them, help answer customers questions, take out garbage, sweep and mop floors.
Not a good place to work
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2017
As a Groomer you are required to work long hours and are discouraged to take your lunch break or other breaks. you end up working 10 hours a day, and only being paid your 8 hour day.
You are always over booked and under staffed, the customers yell at you because either the grooms are rushed and the dogs groom is a hack job or you take to long with the dog and are late in returning the dog to the client.
the managers do not normally care for the employees health or safety and normally do not have the groomers back in an argument with the customer.
if you get injured by a dog it is your fault normally and you are not given enough time off to heal.
Cons
very long work hours, company does not care for the employees
A place pets come first
Assitant Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB30 March 2017
Good place to work. Working with a large team in several department's to help serve pet parents and giving them the best possible service. Possible to grow in many areas of the business.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval