PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Terrible company. Slave drivers
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 16, 2016
As a vet tech for 10 years, I was beyond disgusted over the care given to animals in their store. We had yellow fungus outbreaks on bearded dragons, the stores policy for keeping it from spreading was pitiful and not trained to staff. We had goldfish feeders that were dropping by the minute on the floor but the manager tried to say that it was NORMAL.. one morning there was 112 feeders dead. Explain that to customers!

Seriously... just stay away. They pay under minimum wage. The hours are terrible. They don't care about their employees or the animals. This is your warning!!
Pros
Not much
Cons
bad pay, over worked, no benefits, no breaks, rude management, terrible company
Great people; fun interactions with pets and owners
Senior Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 23, 2016
For the most part working at PetSmart is great, lots of great co-workers and if you love animals the culture will satisfy you. Once your part of the benefits program it's really comprehensive and worthwhile.

Sometimes management can be volatile, usually changing and moving around.
Stay away!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
They treat their employees like dirt. I've watched managers text message each other on the Floor to laugh about an employee. Ive seen management try to sabatoge a person's job because they didn't like them. I've watched managers avoid answering a page because they didn't want to be near the till. I've seen the store manager refuse to meet with customers. This company use to be about pets and owners and now they are all about money. They get the employees to work they're butts off and then give the store manager a bonus because the numbers went up. Oh, but at least the employees get a Care Card for their free can of soda (Really?!). This place is just slowly dying out. No room to grow, no support, horrible training. Bottom line... The place is a joke .
Pros
Cons
To many to mention
Fun Place To Work, So Little Hours
Early morning stocker (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 16, 2016
Typical day at work would be 6AM-2:30 Mon-Fri, early morning stocker. Now it's "hey you're coming in on this day and you don't get to say no." I have no hours and they expect you to live off two or one shift a week.
I've learned about different pet products and what's in food, different brand names.
I think management isn't perfect but can definitely be worked on in some areas, for example creating consistent schedules for everyone.
Hardest part of the job is the inconsistent schedule I feel like I'm on call all the time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the pet parents and seeing the live animals everyday.
Pros
Fun work environment with all the animals
Cons
Needs consistent work schedules
Management is the only decent thing about this job.
Groomer Trainee/Professional Bather (Current Employee) –  CanadaMarch 18, 2016
I work in the grooming salon, and a couple months into the job someone is trying to get me fired by giving customers false information and deleting appointments from the system, and claiming to be me. Because of this, the salon manager is treating me like garbage and never even confronted me directly about this. Instead I found out about this from a couple of the groomers that just happened to be in that day. Nothing but drama and you get payed the same as a cashier even though you're doing twice as much work and dealing with live animals. Also discussed the minimum amount of hours I need to work a week (20-25 hours) because I'm living off of this money and 2 months into the job and my hours have been reduced to 15 hours a week. Most of management is nice and do whatever they can to make everyone comfortable and happy but they are only capable of doing so much. I honestly hate going to work, the atmosphere is very uncomfortable in the salon. If one person is having a bad day, especially the salon manager, it affects everyone's day. My suggestion is if you're thinking about becoming a groomer, don't do it through PetSmart. They claim you only need to be a trainee for a few months before you get sent to the academy but there are bathers that have been working the same position for over a year now and are absolutely miserable.
Be yourself environment!!
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Petsmart; a fun place to work, you never know whats around the corner! You get to see the cute puppies, you have the opportunity to see the newest fashion and apparels; interesting things for your pet . At Petsmart you have the pleasure to learn so much from different peoples and how to communicate with different personalities, how to accomplish new things, and most of all, discover who you really are with the help of your co-workers. Unfortunately, it can be stressful with aggressive dogs or cleaning someones elses mess ( the dogs ) but the most enjoyable part of the job is that people know you love what you do. You can be yourself, have fun , laugh, make silly sounds and guess what? you get paid for it! Seeing the smile of someone walking away from a groom there first visit happy and cheerful, is priceless..
Pros
Actually WANTING to go to work
Cons
Stressful and abused animals come and go
Fantastic people and a more positive environment!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMay 19, 2016
Management has changed in this store and the overall feel is completely different. Great team members and they genuinely care about their staff and the animals in their care! I love seeing regular pet parents come in and we get to watch their puppies grow up! Very busy and always something to do! Lots of opportunities to move within the company and management is very supportive of their staff! I love this place and the people that work there!
Pros
Great benefits, good staff and excellent support!
Cons
Work/life balance and hours allotted to store for scheduling are lean
P-------
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I enjoy my day at P-------. My day starts by doing some paper work that includes things like negative inventory, things to be written off or returned. I then assign tasks to other associates to do daily opening tasks like feeding the animals and sweeping. I then would count tills and the cash float and then open the tills so that they are ready for when the store opens. I have a very good relationship with my fellow co-workers. We all work together as a team and always know how to get things done while having a good time. The most enjoyable part of petsmart is when customers come in with their dogs and puppies looking to get something new. The dogs are always so joyful. The hardest part of being a supervisor at petsmart is having to deal with unsatisfied customers. Although, over time I have learned how to find a happy medium with the customer with both parties leaving the conversation happy and content.
Reason for two star rating.
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 24, 2015
Petsmart is a decent employer, and I was a satisfied employee. The reason for the poor achievement in job security, or advancement is they don't allow for growth internally. Management was replaced frequently in short terms. They do have good branch management, but this location lacked consistency. Therefore, certain management teams were bias.
Pros
Hours, Client loyal.
Cons
Poorly managed.
Productive a great place to work
early morning stock (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 14, 2016
the typical day working at Petsmart is always something new everyday. I learned how to handle different types of animals and how to count inventory. the location was well managed i would work there again if asked the I worked with were great people and very friendly. The hardest part of the job was the over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m) I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to all the different customers that came in and helping them out with what they needed.
Pros
discounts on food for pets and grooming
Cons
over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m)
amazing staff and the customers were awesome
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJune 6, 2015
the best part of my day was getting to see the variety of dogs, the staff were awesome like a family, for the most part the management was fair. I learned a lot about animal health and the benefits of high quality foods.
Pros
caring environment, stable hours
Cons
seeing animals get treated wrong by owners
Respectful, comfortable, fun workplace
Merchandise & Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONMarch 9, 2016
Always something new and fun going on in store, lots of new challenges to grow as an individual, helpful staff, new products and services to learn about, great management team, love to work so closely with different animals, committed workplace, team players.
Wonderful Job Experience with Pet Smart
Pet Sitter (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONApril 6, 2015
Volunteering at Pet Smart was such a fun job! I personally love working with animals, and with this job, I gained so much experienced with pets and interaction with people looking to adopt the pets. The reason behind my 1 star for Salary/Benefits was because it was pure volunteer work and I was not paid. My co-workers were also wonderful! The hardest part of the job was having to deal with stray cats who were very viscous! The most enjoyable part of the job was just overall meeting new people and adopting cats!
Pros
Co-workers, Customers, Experience in documenting files
Cons
Mean Cats, small space
Well run company but very tightly managed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Various locationsJanuary 21, 2016
Well run but no room for interpretation, it is the company way or the highway. Very little feedback from the floor, very top down organization.
Pros
Good pay and bonus for managers
Cons
Long hours are expected, work/life balance is a joke
petsmart
cashier and general stocks person (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 20, 2015
worked as cashier and shelf stocker. got to meet plenty of nice people. was paid for holidays. hourly wage was 11.00 hourly and was paid weekly
Pros
met new people
Cons
long hours while standing
Amazing team and company to work for.
dog bather (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 15, 2016
Wonderful company who care about the well being of not only the customers but the staff as well. I learnt how to bath a dog and do general grooming of dogs. Co-worker are friendly and very willing to teach you how to do things. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer system and all the prices for different dogs. I enjoy everything about this job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enoughpay
Not bad but not great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 28, 2016
The overall environment was good, past-paced, never without something to do and a lot of opportunities to get ahead. However, the management allowed certain employees to slack and behave completely inappropriately because they hired friends. There was a lot of drama too. A decent place as a whole.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Management, drama
Reasons why Petsmart is an OK job.
Jack of all Trades (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ONJanuary 1, 2016
Typically you'll be understaffed in most departments.I've learned a lot about animals, mostly aquatics. Most of my co-workers are in high school and don't really care about the quality of work they preform. The hardest part of my job is seeing animals viewed more as a purchasable commodity then a living creature that deserves respect. That being the main reason I don't like working there.
Pros
Meeting other animals enthusiats
Cons
Little hours and little pay.
Rewarding Animal interactions, flexible hours, limited customers interactions, low pay have to work on Holidays.
PetsHotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Innes Road Plaza, 1750 Innes Rd Gloucester, ONJuly 13, 2015
The job is probably the best job I have had in my young life. You supervise the pets of Customers during your shift. Always making sure their rooms are clean, their water is fresh and comforting any dogs or cats that miss their owner. You will be on a walkie talkie at all times with your Petshotel Co workers so you can communicate problems. The earliest shifts start at 7 am and the latest shift ends at 9 pm.There is also Doggie Day Camp. You supervise the playroom for 1-4 hours making sure the dogs play safe, and under control. It can be loads of fun interacting with loving animals but the trade off is you're always cleaning up messes and the smell can be overpowering. Sometimes the room is relatively inactive and lacking stimulation so you can get very bored during the 3-4 hour room supervisions. At times you have to break up dog fights which can be hard to read, and can catch you completely unawares but coworkers do a great job coming to help you so you're not on your own. You also have feedings morning, noon and evening which you prepare among your co workers. Owners will come to pick up their dogs after their day of work so for about 2-3 times a day you will be hurrying around answering calls for a dog and bringing them to their owner.
The pay is minimum and the raises are slow and small. All in all I would say it was a great experience. The only reason I left is because I felt their was no room for advancement in pay or position for an ambitious person such as myself.
Pros
Flexible hours for a student, loving animals, friendly co workers, limited customer interactions. Time and a half on holidays
Cons
Low pay, have to work holidays can be very smelly, sometimes have to break up sudden dog fights.
Positive atmosphere and people
Cat-Shelter Associate/ Associée (Former Employee) –  MississaugaMay 24, 2016
-Managers and supervisors go out of their way to make everyone feel at home
-Customers are talkative and respectful
-Store was very clean and
-Co-workers are very helpful
Pros
Regular interaction with animals, very positive atmosphere
Cons
Paperwork