PetSmart Employee Reviews

great atmosphere, awful management
Petstylist Apprentice/Bather (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 October 2017
working in a grooming salon is the best thing that's ever happened to me, unfortunately the corporate company has given poor management the opportunities for favouritism and there's little room for advancement in a fair workplace.
what can i say... DoGS
Cashier / Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2017
Fun environment for animal lovers, customers not as irritable as most stores. Scheduling is fantastic. No benefits for part timers and must fight your way to become full time, but once you are all is good.
Management is like a dictatorship
Customer Service, and Petcare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 September 2017
My manager treated the staff poorly if she didn't get her way. She lied about advancement and only used it as a carrot on a stick to get people to make more sales. My last day was spent having a mental break down trying to transition between two jobs and not make anyone fill my remaining shifts. I liked my Co workers but, the upper management expects too much from a minimum wage worker. They want you to prioritize Petsmart over anything else in life.

The discount is a joke too. Other places give employees 50% off over their 25 or whatever.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Management, no steady hours, no advancement
poor
Assistant Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Leader, SK28 September 2017
NA.... This is not somewhere I recommend. that is why I am looking to work elsewhere. not a family friendly store. Not for the people. I can not give a good review.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
nice place to take a break
Pet Care/Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  BC27 September 2017
its an okay place for temporary placement, its an easy job, but don't expect too much out of it. Management is nice except the odd manager, otherwise staff is friendly.
alright
Morning Stock (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2017
usually wake up very early to make it for work generally stock shelves without much instruction which is alright. you learn essentially nothing here. its an alright place to work.
its cool for something you wanna do at the moment
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  stockyards21 September 2017
I was hired as a regular cashier. and then pet products associate. I advanced to pet trainer.... which I always wanted but when I did get my training and was going in to train dogs. I found the other trainer to be col and jelouse. she wasn't " a friend " anymore. more like a competitor. I get why. but still. I had 2 days out of the 5 she had. anyways... months later policies changed and I was dumbed down to a reg employee. so I created my own business and left.
Pros
great environment with pets everywhere
Cons
not a promising future long term, salaried employees are nasty.
fast pace fun work
Bather brusher (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 September 2017
I had a difficult time with the petsmart location in Vaughan the management was not very good. They would say one thing and do the next. when I was hired I was told I didn't have to work weekends because they knew I would not have babysitters because I had just relocated. two weeks in they booked me for a Saturday and sunday. I hear the location has new managers now. I also did not like that I was told I could learn to groom in the salon I was in and the next day I was told I had to relocate for a few months to attend the petsmart grooming school. My son was in school and I was not able to relocate at the time so they moved me from full time shifts to very minimal work. I was given one shift per week.
Pros
some days they had lunches paid for
Cons
they started me as part time with fulltime hours but did not give me benefits. Smart is right.
Fun and outgoing
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2017
Very fun if you like animals, hands on with many animals and in depth training to help make you feel comfortable doing your job. Friendly people to work with and I never felt uncomfortable asking anyone any questions. The hardest part was finding were every product would go on the shelves.
Pros
Work related activities
Cons
No flexibility with hours
Associate Lead (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 September 2017
Depending what field you go into at the store you will be very happy with what you are doing there.

Management tries their best to accommodate you and your family.

If you like working with animals in anyway shape or form, this is a great place to work.

Customers are usually friendly and not unruly.
Pros
Good atmosphere
productive and fun
Petcare Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 September 2017
I personally really enjoyed working at my pet smart location.
If i had a bad day,its pretty big stress reliever to be around furry animals all day.but be warned if you don't like insects this is not the job for you. Feeding the reptiles is part of the job description,oh and be ready to be peed on.otherwise pretty awesome job.
Pros
always something to do
Cons
cleaning alot of feces
Large Store
Employee (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC27 August 2017
Sophisticated administration system. Other than that its the basic corporation with the same selling steps as other companies. Fun closing shifts and evenings.
Fun job for animal lovers
Pet Products Lead (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON26 August 2017
great job to have if you have a passion for customer service and animals. always oppurtunity to move up the ladder and great pay and benefits offered if the work ethic is there
Pros
great for animal lovers
Cons
management in office all day
Learning Everyday
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON25 August 2017
In the field of a sales Associate in Pet Retail, you tend to require having background and quite a bit of knowledge for pet care. Sometimes there are questions tossed at you which help you learn; either in discovering the information together or learning how to communicate with the customer. The most enjoyable part of work is the steady pace in which time passes quicker and the puppies and occasional cats that come in with their pet parents. The difficult part of work would be handling some of the rude and arrogant customers.
Pros
First and Last greet of Pets the come in
Cons
Getting jumped on by too excited dogs
50/50 not a great place not the worst
Bather (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB24 August 2017
I started with petsmart when the store was new. I left feeling sick with hatered for the new staff/ admin. So poorly managed, you don't get any real training, 1 week dose not get you ready to sell over 20 different types of animals. If the books from head office say it takes 5hrs to do a job, the managment will give you under 1h.
Pros
small town
Cons
paid weekly
great
early morning stocker (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON24 August 2017
§ Safely operate Sit Down Counterbalanced forklift
§ Offload trucks and perform receiving duties
§ Stock shelves and create attractive merchandise displays
Complete fresh product rotation to ensure customer satisfaction
Salon Manger/Groomer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 August 2017
not reviewing, hate that this forces you to review as I would prefer to review based on compete experience including leaving company as i work here i can not do this
opk
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON21 August 2017
I still think this is stupid and dumb i should not have to do this. I am going to close my accunt with indeed because og how dumb this is STOP THIS NOW
Hated it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  london on16 August 2017
Do not recommend working here. Impolite staff, impolite customers, no advancement, no training in different departments despite multiple requests and promises.
Pros
Cons
long
Most negative management team in history
worker (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 August 2017
They expect miracles but are unwilling to offer support or encouragement. They throw all employees under the bus, they have formally disciplined every management member for not accomplishing goals that they themselves never work towards. the manger is perpetually grumpy, the assistant has issues with dealing with members of the public and so hides in the office and is notably put out when she has to come out to deal with customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.