PetSmart Employee Reviews

fun and frendly
Groomers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONSeptember 24, 2016
Had a wonderful experience working with this company the employees are all super friendly and there to help if you need it always working together to make it a safe and fun work environment
Amazing Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONSeptember 21, 2016
Petsmart was an amazing company to have worked at. I really loved the managers and staff as well as the customers. I had a blast working there and I will always feel like it is family.
good for new workers
Cashier, Customer Service, stocking, dog trainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 8, 2016
This job is good for people to want a first time job or part time job, if you love animals. However, this job is only good for temporary employment in most cases there is no room for advancement.
Really bad and stressfull
Pet Stylist, Accredited Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaSeptember 5, 2016
They don't take care of dogs or employees. Very stressful. Policies are NOT followed. Management doesn't care or do anything. Human resources doesn't do anything but talk to the manager. Nothing ever gets resolved. So much stress. Corruption
Pros
Cons
All of it
excellent place to work at
Part-time pet care specialist (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONAugust 30, 2016
petsmart was a great place to work, friendly co-workers, enjoyable work experience, and there was always a dog around to pet! great management in every department.
cheap company /horrible pay/ bad managment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  ontario canadaAugust 26, 2016
I worked at Pertmart for 5 years.. they give little to no raises, my manager would usually find a way to not give you a raise. for instance you must get 3/5 rating to get a raise, no one will ever give you a 5 I was told that in person by management due to fact that the raise would be to much. So I was given a 3 by my direct manager and the store manager changed it to a 2.9 which means no raise for me. They push sales on you for the most ridiculous things, I mean how hard Is it to sell hair extensions for dogs ?? ( seriously?) . I was making the same amount per hour at 5 years as people who were just hired, minimum wage would go up and then ours would just stay the same.

our Christmas parties were in the center of the store, I'm which we had to bringo our own food to. I'm sure a multi million dollar company cant even afford to buy some food for staff. All you're equipment that you purchase also has to be maintained and sharpened out of your pocket even though most to all the money for grooms Is going to the company.

managers try to over run you with dogs, not caring that you havnt had a single break in 8 hours just as long as you are making the quota so they can get their big bonus at the end of the year ( but you doing all the hard work? not so much )

oh and prepare to have some war wounds, can be a dangerous job at times with some poorly behaved pets!

I could go on. basically they don't care about staff in the least bit. which is ultimately why I quit.
Pros
Cons
terrible pay/ bad managment / dont care about staff / no perks
PetsHotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONAugust 23, 2016
It's a great company to work for. Everyone who works there shares a passion for pets/animals, so it is easy to find common ground with co-workers and managers. Most managers are great, and they do not forget the human element when dealing with associates. It was like a family.
Loved working with the animals!
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 22, 2016
How can you be in a bad mood around all those furry faces! Love working with the animals, feeding, cleaning up after them and of course cuddling. Learn a lot about nutritional benefits for several breeds of animals.
Fun workplace meeting puppies everyday
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 17, 2016
Petsmart is a welcoming environment. Fun meeting puppies and helping pet parents spoil their pets. Being a dog bather is great experience getting to pamper pets for their families.
very causal working environment
Sales Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONAugust 15, 2016
I like their crossing training. Meaning you get trained for almost every aspect that needed in the store.

the great thing about working with PetSmart is that I can help pet parents and their lovely pets.
Pros
friendly co worker
Cons
low pay/minium benefits package
Great place to learn and grow
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ONAugust 15, 2016
Excellent training program and benefits. Had a great time. I was able to further my career and move up as the process was defined.
Pros
Great personal and professional development programs
A great placement of work
Professional Bather (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONAugust 3, 2016
The people are so welcoming, and friendly, makes you feel excited to go to work. I work in the grooming salon and it is like a family in there, everyone gets along so great, there is always laughing. It's a wonderful environment to work in. The hardest part about my job is dealing with some uncooperative dogs, but its also the most enjoyable part of my job. I have learned patience, how to control stress in stressful environments, and how to handle unhappy customers in a professional manner.
Fun, original workplace
Pet Care Specialist, pet stylist (Former Employee) –  Windsor ontarioJuly 20, 2016
My time at Petsmart was great! I learned a lot of new skills and enjoyed the staff. I had the opportunity to grow within the company as a bather, pet care associate, cashier, core associate and pet stylist. I would recommend this workplace.
Pros
Fun place to work, outgoing staff, good learning opportunities
Cons
Fast pased job with lots of furry friends
Pet Care Associate, Cashier, Groomer, Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 18, 2016
As I spent lots of time in different departments, I spent the most time taking care of the animals and assisting customers with purchases. I learned a lot about caring for animals, and even more with dog and cat dietary needs. It was very easy to adjust with oher coworkers because we were all animal lovers and had their best intrest at heart. The absolute best part of the job was to be able to help customers fix their pets problems by finding appropriate products and fod to fit their needs. It was the best feeling when they would come back later and look for you and tell you the improvments their pets made after using some helpful products. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance multiple customers at a time when working in the back with the fish and insects.
Pros
Being surrounded by animals
Cons
Not being able to work more hours
Grooming Salon
Professional Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJuly 12, 2016
The grooming salon is a very fast paced environment, but very rewarding. The hardest part of the job is handling dogs that are stressed, as you often times don't know how they will react or behave. Everyone is very supportive, and willing to help if you are having a stressful day. The girls that I work with are wonderful.
Not a good place to work
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONJuly 2, 2016
I learned to groom at petsmart at the beginning it was not bad. But as it has been stated. Management is not good. A lot of turn over, favoritism for sure. So when there was ever an issue with the favor co worker you where wrong. Even though it was the co worker. The open door policy was not good. It always turns and bites you. Had to deal with many work harassment issues that never got deal with. The stress I had o deal with was not worth working there.
Pros
I enjoyed my request clinits
Cons
Everything else, very poor managment
It's fun
Janitor and Stocker (Current Employee) –  1731 Kenaston Blvd, Winnipeg, MB R3Y 1V5June 26, 2016
- I learned more about cleaning as you go around the store paying close attention to detail

- Management is always happy to help and friendly

- Staff are great to work with

- The the hardest part about the job is cleaning the outside windows

- The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day you will always know you've done the job right, because as you end your shift if the managers ever catch you before you leave. They will always tell you when you did a good job or not giving some constructive feedback of what to do next time.

- Also, they always pay you weekly
Productive day helping kittens find families
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 26, 2016
Typical day volunteering includes feeding the kittens, playing with them and ensuring they have a clean cage. Providing any information future owners may have regarding the animals. Also, filling out any paperwork involving adoptions.
Good place to work if animals are your #1
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 21, 2016
I really loved working here as caring for animals and helping customers make the best decisions for their pets was my #1. Every day was a fun day between catching fish and having laughs to making sure the customers knew the right product for there specified pet.
Hard work, good people
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
Working with people who are passionate about their trade is a wonderful experience. Be prepared for long hours and lots of bits of knowledge