PetSmart Employee Reviews

Fun job but hours aren`tgood
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2017
Pet smart is a great place to work.
The people are friendly and the work place in fun and educational.
Only problem is with hours. You hardly ever get as many as you would like.
Interesting Job
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB2 February 2017
Decent Job
- Management was very nice but could train there employees better.
- Most enjoyable part is working with the animals.
- hardest part of the job was i felt i wasn't trained on everything and sometimes it was hard to track down someone to help me, as well as being there for customers.
Pros
management
Cons
not very much hands on training
Great career opportunity
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2017
Pet Smart gave me a great opportunity, I was trained and became certified as a dog groomer. This job was great with a good chance for job growth. The only downfall is work place drama.
Pros
They help you with a career
Cons
Drama
Good place to work for a student
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 January 2017
Working in the petcare department was really fun. I learned a lot about the care of animals and interesting facts about some of the exotic animals they would have. Fellow employees were great to work with.
Enjoyable friendly envorinment
Cashier/Merchandise Stocker (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC20 January 2017
My typical day at work always varied, I am trained for all areas of the store except for management, including bathing dogs. Some days I would be stocking the shelves where as other days I'd be selling the live animals or being a cashier. Then there were the days I bathed the dogs in the grooming salon.
I learned a great deal about animals from working at petsmart, through the monthly courses that are mandatory to watch and from other employees and even customers. I found that every day I was learning something new, even after the amount of time I've been there for.
My management and other employees have been some of the best people I could ask to work with. Everyone tried really hard to make sure everybody was having a good day at work and that we kept the environment friendly and positive not just for us but for customers as well.
I would say the hardest part about the job, would the the emotional aspect when you have a customer who comes in wanting to donate their pets things because they have passed away.
Where as the most enjoyable part would have to be helping a customer set up for getting a new pet, or getting to meet their new family members.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Not enough hours
Awesome work place to learn and enjoy a great team atmosphere.
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2017
This job has been one of my best jobs over the years. I very much enjoy the people I work with and the opportunities I am given to learn and improve on a daily basis.
Productive and fun atmosphere tonwork in
Seasonal Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 January 2017
Co workers are easy to get along with and management is very easy to talk to and learn from.
Working environment is very suitable for someone looking for a job where fun and professional.
Enjoyed working with the live animals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gateway Park Drive Kitchener23 December 2016
I never had a typical day at Pet Smart. I did everything from cleaning, pricing, scheduling, empty shelf audits, shipping, receiving. cash. Really any thing that I was able to learn I did. The upper management was good. My co-workers were younger but always willing to learn. The hardest part of my job was trying to always stay on top of rotating products. Always enjoyed seeing the customers with their pets.
Pros
Live pets
Cons
Ratation of the products
pet smart
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 December 2016
the management was absolutely horrible. I was not treated fairly. I only got 4 hours a week if lucky, and i have two children at home, i was promised more hours every week, which never happened.
Dead end job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2016
Greta job if all your trying to do is get by financially and don't see yourself staying in this position forever. Good interim job while your getting an education to have a real career
Pros
everyone loves animals
Cons
no room for advancement, poor management.
Fun and friendly workplace, exciting and fast-paced work environment
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON16 December 2016
A typical day at work would start with me greeting whoever was working the Pet Care department before me, and receiving the keys and work phone from them. I would ask what tasks were completed and what still needs to be done to determine what needs to be completed. I assist customers as I complete required tasks, and when all tasks are completed I focus on caring for the animals, such as making sure all bedding is clean, all food and water dishes are clean and filled, and making sure all the animals are healthy.
Pros
Friendly Co-Workers and Fun Work Environment
Cons
Can be hectic and busy at times
Fun workplace
Pets hotel associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 December 2016
Despite having to write 15 individual logs for each dog, it's fun to interact with all the pets that come into the pets hotel every day. I always enjoy watching over them and having friendly conversations with neighboring employees. It's definitely an exciting environment that doesn't get old.
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Constant standing, running around and cleanup after dogs
They are so cruel!!!
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/A4 December 2016
They treat their animals terribly! They don't get any medical attention and are just left there to die. They use glue traps to "control" their mice and pieces of their skin and fur are ripped off! Some are even so desperate to get free that they chew off their own limbs! They're also forced to breed even when they don't want to at these terrible animal mills like Rainbow World Exotics! Don't buy anything from PetSmart and don't work there because you're just enforcing this animal cruelty.
Learned the beginning of dog grooming
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON24 November 2016
Petsmart was a stepping stone into the grooming world. I learned the basics from their grooming academy however anything beyond that was left up to myself to learn by watching other groomers I worked with. Luckily the other groomers were eager to allow me to watch and learn from them.
We had to conform to the way Petsmart wanted things done for groomers and something it would be difficult to obtain their ideal standards such as grooming as many dogs that were booked and still have time to take a lunch break. Pleasing customers was always number 1.
I enjoyed learning everything I did and had some great co-workers along the way.
Pros
stepping stone to grooming world
Cons
Having bosses that didn't understand grooming
I enjoyed working with the animals
Pet Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC21 November 2016
I didn't get to work here for very long and during my time there the management changed a few times and it made work consistency amoungst the whole team weak
Decent work environment, good customers.
Cahier (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON17 November 2016
The overall work environment was good and the customers were great! Great discounts. Good products very educational.
Awesome management and genuine coworkers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
A typical day at work will always include helping customers, which is a big aspect that Petsmart takes pride in. Not only do we help customers, we always make time to take care of all the animals, which means feeding, , and cleaning all the cages.
Throughout the year at Petsmart i have learned many things. I have learned how to be more social with others. I have also learned an endless amount of information about how to take care of different animals like reptiles, fish, birds, and rodents. i am still learning new things ever shift.
The people i work with are very welcoming and fun. They make the job exciting because we are always talking about our pets at home and always learning from each other. The management as well is very good. They are very honest people and are very easy to approach if I have something wrong.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 November 2016
I love working at petsmart because you get to see new puppys and work with a great staff. the management is fair. the co workers are amazing. the most enjoyable part is the environment
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
minimual hours
Great Workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON7 November 2016
Employees are very friendly and easy to get along with. If you like working with pets and aren't afraid to get your hands a little dirty, this is the workplace for you.
Really busy and fast paced
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON7 November 2016
I enjoyed working here, but it was a bit much for me. I was an early morning stocker and lifting the heavy bags of food was a bit much to do 4 hours straight with no breaks in the middle. the staff were very friendly and inviting and were always willing to help each other out. this was a great job it just wasn't for me.