PetSmart Employee Reviews

Good first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC21 March 2017
Although I wouldn't say PetSmart is right for everyone long term, the job offers many part-time opportunities for new entrants to the work market. The work is mostly fun, and managers get to know each associate and do their best to work your shifts around your schedule and preferences.
Pros
Employee discount, working with animals depending on position, extra 10 cents per hour for uniform cleaning cost
Cons
Catty co-workers, occasionally silly scheduling
Fun place to work
Early morning stocker, Cashier, Helped (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB20 March 2017
Enjoyed my job there while I was there, Fun place to work good management, started my day around 5 am everyday, not much I would of changed at all.
Hardest part of the job was the early hours
Great Place to Work Part-time
Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON20 March 2017
Loved my time with Petsmart. Great company to work for and great management. Love meeting new parents and their pets. Was great with getting time off if needed. Flexible with shifts
Pros
Work in setting with animals
great place
Petcare associate/Cashier/Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 March 2017
fun to work there. management is great and are very flexible with getting days off. the environment is great to work in. all fellow employees are friendly.
Great company, but didn't follow rules where necessary
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 March 2017
I was an ASM that put dog food on the shelf every day. The store was not as successful as they had hoped so hours were cut back very quickly, which I completely understand due to lack of sales. They were planning on a second store in the next year but put it on hold due to being unsuccessful. I felt that associates weren't held accountable enough. Rules were broken often...
It's a really great place to volunteer because the people are very nice and friendly
Pet smart volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 March 2017
While I was volunteering here it definitely gives you good hours at the adopt a thon usually about 4 to 5 hours and that goes to my volunteer hours for school. Great work environment and it's clean.
Pros
Clean and fun to be around because of the pets and people working there
Cons
On occasion it was hard to find supplies
Worst place ever
Pet Care Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 March 2017
My particular location was ridiculous. We had to set up the store in 3 weeks and the entire time my manager just barked at everyone. I was given very little training on how to handle the animals and no product knowledge. I was then laid off a day before my 3 months were up due to me having been very vocal about how the animals were being mistreated. Oh and sitting while I was fixing a display on the bottom shelf (so for being "lazy"). I know this sounds like a person just being really bitter but honestly I have worked a lot of places and have never been so disrespected as a human being. The staff turn over was every couple weeks which is pretty sad.
Pros
Cons
everything
Fun Workplace
Pet Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2017
PetSmart is a wonderful place to work. I have had nothing but a wonderful experience working there.I have the wonderful coworkers and management. The culture is something I have never experience in any previous positions. I find myself enjoying spending time at work and never dreading any day.

A typical day at work involves a lot of customer interactions. Although PetSmart is a retail position when dealing with questions about and care for people's animal it involves a very strong sense of customer care.

However, having worked there for over four years I believe I have outgrown my position there. Working here has been a joy, there is just a lack of room for advancement.
run the other way
petcare (Former Employee) –  ontario27 February 2017
This place is a joke to work for. The only good thing about it is there's always something to do and obviously the animals. If you're a true animal advocate I don't suggest working here.. Especially in the pet care department . they have no idea how to take care of reptiles and company procedures and policies are not reflective of what's best for the animals. I don't know how many bearded dragons and other reptiles I seen get sick and pass away over my three years there.. It was depressing and unnecessary. Reptile supplier clearly had no idea what they were doing and I can guarantee you they were inbreeding and their environment was improper and unsanitary. When brought up to management to see if switching to a better supplier was an option we were basically told no and nothing they could do. Got reminded frequently very visits are unnecessary because it's cheaper to let them die as they are just a "product". Would never ever EVER recommend this place to anybody. Not even to shop there !!
Fun environment
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 February 2017
My experience working with dogs all day is a dream come true. I learned responsibility, time management. The hardest part is dealing with over protective pet parents. Most enjoyable part is the time spent with 15 dogs in a room.
Pros
Play with dogs all day
Cons
long hours on feet
Fun job but hours aren`tgood
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2017
Pet smart is a great place to work.
The people are friendly and the work place in fun and educational.
Only problem is with hours. You hardly ever get as many as you would like.
Interesting Job
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB2 February 2017
Decent Job
- Management was very nice but could train there employees better.
- Most enjoyable part is working with the animals.
- hardest part of the job was i felt i wasn't trained on everything and sometimes it was hard to track down someone to help me, as well as being there for customers.
Pros
management
Cons
not very much hands on training
Great career opportunity
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2017
Pet Smart gave me a great opportunity, I was trained and became certified as a dog groomer. This job was great with a good chance for job growth. The only downfall is work place drama.
Pros
They help you with a career
Cons
Drama
Good place to work for a student
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 January 2017
Working in the petcare department was really fun. I learned a lot about the care of animals and interesting facts about some of the exotic animals they would have. Fellow employees were great to work with.
Enjoyable friendly envorinment
Cashier/Merchandise Stocker (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC20 January 2017
My typical day at work always varied, I am trained for all areas of the store except for management, including bathing dogs. Some days I would be stocking the shelves where as other days I'd be selling the live animals or being a cashier. Then there were the days I bathed the dogs in the grooming salon.
I learned a great deal about animals from working at petsmart, through the monthly courses that are mandatory to watch and from other employees and even customers. I found that every day I was learning something new, even after the amount of time I've been there for.
My management and other employees have been some of the best people I could ask to work with. Everyone tried really hard to make sure everybody was having a good day at work and that we kept the environment friendly and positive not just for us but for customers as well.
I would say the hardest part about the job, would the the emotional aspect when you have a customer who comes in wanting to donate their pets things because they have passed away.
Where as the most enjoyable part would have to be helping a customer set up for getting a new pet, or getting to meet their new family members.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Not enough hours
Awesome work place to learn and enjoy a great team atmosphere.
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2017
This job has been one of my best jobs over the years. I very much enjoy the people I work with and the opportunities I am given to learn and improve on a daily basis.
Productive and fun atmosphere tonwork in
Seasonal Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 January 2017
Co workers are easy to get along with and management is very easy to talk to and learn from.
Working environment is very suitable for someone looking for a job where fun and professional.
Enjoyed working with the live animals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gateway Park Drive Kitchener23 December 2016
I never had a typical day at Pet Smart. I did everything from cleaning, pricing, scheduling, empty shelf audits, shipping, receiving. cash. Really any thing that I was able to learn I did. The upper management was good. My co-workers were younger but always willing to learn. The hardest part of my job was trying to always stay on top of rotating products. Always enjoyed seeing the customers with their pets.
Pros
Live pets
Cons
Ratation of the products
pet smart
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 December 2016
the management was absolutely horrible. I was not treated fairly. I only got 4 hours a week if lucky, and i have two children at home, i was promised more hours every week, which never happened.
Dead end job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2016
Greta job if all your trying to do is get by financially and don't see yourself staying in this position forever. Good interim job while your getting an education to have a real career
Pros
everyone loves animals
Cons
no room for advancement, poor management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

66%