PetSmart Employee Reviews

Never good enough
Merchandise and inventory manager (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 July 2017
As the title states, your assistant store leader, and store manager will get to sit in the office comfortable in AC all day, where as you as a floor manager will be used, and abused. You will never to able to achieve pet smarts goals, and the goals are always changing. Every couple of months your store will have a meeting to talk about some new initiative the company is taking, and it's always in a bad direction.
Pros
it ended
Cons
it began
Great place to work if you love pets
Grooming Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2017
I love working with the animals and making new friends at my job,
it is a good place to teach you the basics of grooming and atomy of dogs.
the hardest part of the job is trying to get to the grooming school. no matter how good you are they will over look you unless you fit into their mold.
The best job a animal lover could ask for.
Early morning stocker (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON11 July 2017
My time at petsmart was short but very amazing. My supervisors and co-workers were always amazing. I learned so much about retail and customer service. The hours are very flexible. Overall it is a very good work environment.
my opinion
Pet Care Lead (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON6 July 2017
i enjoyed petsmart in the beginning but eventually management changed n the joy i had for work slowly started leaving the job over all is very enjoyable
Pros
staff is wonderul and animals
Cons
management
Company has changed in recent years
Management (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON23 June 2017
It used to be a fun place to work. Now it's ALL work. Not enough staff, not enough payroll. New initiatives that focus on cost cutting and profits at the expense of customer service.
wouldn't recommend
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON16 June 2017
super busy environment, customer service experiences needed, animal care experiences needed, management could be improved, the hardest part is of the job is not being able to express your rights as an employee and super underpaid
Pros
association with animals
Cons
management and pay
Lots of fun
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 June 2017
loved working in the pet care department, working with all types of different species of animals and ensuring their proper care throughout the day made the job worth while,
fun environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC13 June 2017
fun place to work at if you love dogs and other small animals. i typical day for a cashier is near the cash register all day. i learned to help customers with the troubles they may have finding products.
Great summer workpalce
Cashier/Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 June 2017
This job really helped teaching it's employees patience. It was also really educational. A typical work day would be working wherever you were assigned. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help make a pet parent's life a little easier. The hardest part of the job was that management was a little young so they tended to gossip about the employees and it was really uncomfortable. However, the overall experience was pretty good. I have learned things about this place that have made me a better pet parent.
Grooming was great, toxic environment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 June 2017
Every Salon experience is going to be different. I happened to be in a Salon where I felt the dogs were not cared for but just seen as an income opportunity. Some very talented groomers but management only saw the dogs and dollars and not family members. Management also pushed groomers past the point where we felt the grooms were getting unsafe for the dogs.
Pros
Working with dogs
Cons
long hours with no breaks, careless leadership
You're just another number
Orderfill Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 June 2017
The benefits given by this company is remarkable. Unfortunately that does not compensate for the lack of job security. Associates and supervisors are fired at an alarming rate. Don't count on retiring from this company.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Never knowing if you will have a job tomorrow
Terrible management
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB31 May 2017
Management was terrible, as well as petty. Constantly going behind employees backs and not listening to scheduleing requests, was never enough staff scheduled.
Love the job but employees not so much
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON31 May 2017
Any problems with co workers are swept under the rug. Lack of hours to be given when working part time. You almost need 2 part time jobs to get 25 hours a week. Pressure to get e mails and othet quotas make it stressful
Pros
All the animals. Working with the public
Cons
Not enough hours. Difficult co workers
Poor management
Core/Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 May 2017
Working at petsmart was fun until new management took over. I personally had to file three complaints against a manager who threatened me numerous times, but I still had to continue to work under her for two months until they finally let her go. They don't care about their employees, only about making money. I was one of their best employees but I was forced to leave when things got unbearable. Do not work here.
Wonderful Environment
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON25 May 2017
PetSmart was an amazing company to work for. The only reason I am leaving Ottawa is due to housing and school. I work in the Pethotel, running day camp. I also have duties such as cleaning, feeding, check in's and check out's, and individual care. The management team has been amazing and very accommodating to all of their employee's. I can't express how much I love working with animals everyday. I hope to continue in a field of work with a similar atmosphere and with animals.
Unique, Fast paced retail environment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  835 Eglington Avenue East23 May 2017
Day to day work at Pet Smart was fine, tasks were not overly difficult. For the most part you will find friendly co workers with a love for animals.
I received next to no training and I never received any follow ups with any management. It was clear to me that I was only ever a burden to the company. Not all the cages and habitats sold in store are acceptable to put any animal in. It is very clear that no one who is higher up in management cares at all about the well being of animals or even know anything about the live animals they sell in their stores. They do not provide correct information on most of the live animals sold as well. So if you work there and want to actually give animals the best care possible... Just work as a cashier.
Pros
Customers bring friendly dogs into the store
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 May 2017
A typical day at Petsmart is greeting customers, asking if they need help with anything, selling fish,small animals,birds and reptiles.
I have learned a lot working at Petsmart, I've learned about fish, what kind of fish can live with each other, what size tanks they need, same with small animals and birds. It's very interesting. The managment there is great, they are very understanding, very friendly
and strict when need to be. The hardest part about working there is trying to find different ways to explain the same thing to people,also having to care for all animals, trying to remember certain things about them, also being a cashier, trying to remember prices and sales that are going on in the store. But the most enjoyable part of working with Petsmart is being able to see animals on a daily basic, having regular customers, great co-workers and management.
Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 May 2017
Long days, not a ton of foot traffic.

Nice to see your impact on pet parents.

Enjoyed seeing kids getting their first pets.

Overall decent place to work.
Pets are fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2017
Very nice people long hours, lower pay than average in big box stores. Pets were fun.

Very heavy lifting at times, Stock rotation a constant battle but required for safety and customer satisfaction
Horrible Management
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 May 2017
A good work place really depends on the people that surround you and good management is what makes or breaks associates. This has been the worse management I have ever experienced and I have no idea how almost all the managers at my store were hired. They are all incompetent, show clear favoritism, and don't do anything except give excuses that seem extremely dismissive when you come with complaints. The company says they have an open door policy but all it seemed like to me was just a door for them to shut you out if they don't like you anymore. I went to them with reasonable complaints such as schedules not being placed out in time (only 2 days before the next week when they're supposed to be 2 WEEKS in advance), horrible scheduling where there would be only 2 associates working in the entire store, needing help in pet care, etc. Except they twisted my feelings to make it seem like I'm only feeling this way because I was going through some personal trauma (like my grandfather passing and getting my car broken in to). However a few months have passed and I still feel the same so it's most definitely not because of that...
Mostly all the pet care associates and a few others feel this place is toxic due to poor management. I enjoy the animals, I enjoyed what I was doing, but the workplace culture is horrendous. All they focus on is sales when really they forget about the animal care aspect of the store especially because we have LIVE ANIMALS AND FISH.
Honestly, if they had hired competent management none of this would happen. There are more things wrong with this place and
  more... this is only the start. For the sake of keeping it short I won't talk about it all. In short however, they really need to do something about training their managers properly, stop cutting hours, and focus more on animal care instead of greedy sales.  less
Cons
Short hours, understaffed, worse managers in the world