PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Fantastic people and a more positive environment!
Associate (Current Employee), Sherwood Park, ABMay 19, 2016
Pros: Great benefits, good staff and excellent support!
Cons: Work/life balance and hours allotted to store for scheduling are lean
Management has changed in this store and the overall feel is completely different. Great team members and they genuinely care about their staff and the animals in their care! I love seeing regular pet parents come in and we get to watch their puppies grow up! Very busy and always something to do! Lots of opportunities to move within the company and management is very supportive of their staff! I love this place and the people that work there!
Productive a great place to work
early morning stock (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 14, 2016
Pros: discounts on food for pets and grooming
Cons: over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m)
the typical day working at Petsmart is always something new everyday. I learned how to handle different types of animals and how to count inventory. the location was well managed i would work there again if asked the I worked with were great people and very friendly. The hardest part of the job was the over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m) I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to all the different customers that came in and helping them out with what they needed.
Stay away!
Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Pros: None
Cons: To many to mention
They treat their employees like dirt. I've watched managers text message each other on the Floor to laugh about an employee. Ive seen management try to sabatoge a person's job because they didn't like them. I've watched managers avoid answering a page because they didn't want to be near the till. I've seen the store manager refuse to meet with customers. This company use to be about pets and owners and now they are all about money. They get the employees to work they're butts off and then give the store manager a bonus because the numbers went up. Oh, but at least the employees get a Care Card for their free can of soda (Really?!). This place is just slowly dying out. No room to grow, no support, horrible training. Bottom line... The place is a joke .
Terrible company. Slave drivers
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONMarch 16, 2016
Pros: Not much
Cons: bad pay, over worked, no benefits, no breaks, rude management, terrible company
As a vet tech for 10 years, I was beyond disgusted over the care given to animals in their store. We had yellow fungus outbreaks on bearded dragons, the stores policy for keeping it from spreading was pitiful and not trained to staff. We had goldfish feeders that were dropping by the minute on the floor but the manager tried to say that it was NORMAL.. one morning there was 112 feeders dead. Explain that to customers!

Seriously... just stay away. They pay under minimum wage. The hours are terrible. They don't care about their employees or the animals. This is your warning!!
Amazing team and company to work for.
dog bather (Current Employee), Moncton, NBMarch 15, 2016
Pros: free lunches
Cons: not enoughpay
Wonderful company who care about the well being of not only the customers but the staff as well. I learnt how to bath a dog and do general grooming of dogs. Co-worker are friendly and very willing to teach you how to do things. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer system and all the prices for different dogs. I enjoy everything about this job.
Fun Place To Work, So Little Hours
Early morning stocker (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 16, 2016
Pros: Fun work environment with all the animals
Cons: Needs consistent work schedules
Typical day at work would be 6AM-2:30 Mon-Fri, early morning stocker. Now it's "hey you're coming in on this day and you don't get to say no." I have no hours and they expect you to live off two or one shift a week.
I've learned about different pet products and what's in food, different brand names.
I think management isn't perfect but can definitely be worked on in some areas, for example creating consistent schedules for everyone.
Hardest part of the job is the inconsistent schedule I feel like I'm on call all the time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the pet parents and seeing the live animals everyday.
Not bad but not great
Cashier (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONApril 28, 2016
Pros: Helping customers
Cons: Management, drama
The overall environment was good, past-paced, never without something to do and a lot of opportunities to get ahead. However, the management allowed certain employees to slack and behave completely inappropriately because they hired friends. There was a lot of drama too. A decent place as a whole.
Great people; fun interactions with pets and owners
Senior Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 23, 2016
For the most part working at PetSmart is great, lots of great co-workers and if you love animals the culture will satisfy you. Once your part of the benefits program it's really comprehensive and worthwhile.

Sometimes management can be volatile, usually changing and moving around.
Reasons why Petsmart is an OK job.
Jack of all Trades (Current Employee), Ancaster, ONJanuary 1, 2016
Pros: Meeting other animals enthusiats
Cons: Little hours and little pay.
Typically you'll be understaffed in most departments.I've learned a lot about animals, mostly aquatics. Most of my co-workers are in high school and don't really care about the quality of work they preform. The hardest part of my job is seeing animals viewed more as a purchasable commodity then a living creature that deserves respect. That being the main reason I don't like working there.
Be yourself environment!!
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: Actually WANTING to go to work
Cons: Stressful and abused animals come and go
Petsmart; a fun place to work, you never know whats around the corner! You get to see the cute puppies, you have the opportunity to see the newest fashion and apparels; interesting things for your pet . At Petsmart you have the pleasure to learn so much from different peoples and how to communicate with different personalities, how to accomplish new things, and most of all, discover who you really are with the help of your co-workers. Unfortunately, it can be stressful with aggressive dogs or cleaning someones elses mess ( the dogs ) but the most enjoyable part of the job is that people know you love what you do. You can be yourself, have fun , laugh, make silly sounds and guess what? you get paid for it! Seeing the smile of someone walking away from a groom there first visit happy and cheerful, is priceless..
Respectful, comfortable, fun workplace
Merchandise & Inventory Manager (Current Employee), Belleville, ONMarch 9, 2016
Always something new and fun going on in store, lots of new challenges to grow as an individual, helpful staff, new products and services to learn about, great management team, love to work so closely with different animals, committed workplace, team players.
P-------
Supervisor (Current Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I enjoy my day at P-------. My day starts by doing some paper work that includes things like negative inventory, things to be written off or returned. I then assign tasks to other associates to do daily opening tasks like feeding the animals and sweeping. I then would count tills and the cash float and then open the tills so that they are ready for when the store opens. I have a very good relationship with my fellow co-workers. We all work together as a team and always know how to get things done while having a good time. The most enjoyable part of petsmart is when customers come in with their dogs and puppies looking to get something new. The dogs are always so joyful. The hardest part of being a supervisor at petsmart is having to deal with unsatisfied customers. Although, over time I have learned how to find a happy medium with the customer with both parties leaving the conversation happy and content.
Busy, high traffic workplace, fast day, great people.
Cashier (Current Employee), Sherwood Park, ABApril 9, 2016
PetSmart is a great place to work, you're always busy, constantly on the move. Interacting with customers is a must, no matter what part of the store you work in. It's a great environment, as long as you're good with animals and pet parents.
Great Place to Learn great work experience.
Pet Care Assosiate, Cashier (Current Employee), Brantford, ONMay 7, 2016
Pros: 15% off employ discount
Cons: no consistency
Great place to learn work experience, but no room to grow with in the company. The store manager dose not give a great work environment always puts her employees on edge.
A Part time Job
Stock/Inventory Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Pros: Store Discount
Cons: No background store music making it awkward
As a full time College student any job that can help provide experience and a friendly environment is always welcome. Its a legitimate corporation that hires the right employees to work for them
Reason for two star rating.
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 24, 2015
Pros: Hours, Client loyal.
Cons: Poorly managed.
Petsmart is a decent employer, and I was a satisfied employee. The reason for the poor achievement in job security, or advancement is they don't allow for growth internally. Management was replaced frequently in short terms. They do have good branch management, but this location lacked consistency. Therefore, certain management teams were bias.
great place to work
Animal care associate (Current Employee), London, ONApril 4, 2016
had a great time there, wonderful people, wonderful customers , and a very layed back job, the animals are awesome and the staff is one of the most inviting people you will meet , very easy to pick up the jobs there , must be able to multi task
Teaching assistant
Associate Manager (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 24, 2016
Pros: The people
Cons: None
It was amazing seeing the students learn the material and helping them along the way. I believed that a student must talk out their questions in order to achieve the answer and which this I saw a large improvement in their grades
Amazing people to work with
Core (Shelf Stocking) and Cashier (Current Employee), Windsor, ONMarch 24, 2016
Pros: work
Cons: can't get full time unless you are a manager or a groomer
PetSmart is a great place to work. Just like all other places of work their are those that are fun to work with and others that are not.
Great work place but management sucked
Pet Care Associate,Bather, Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, ONMay 6, 2016
Loved working there customers were great for the most part. Petsmart employees actually do care for the animals rather well, better than most other petstores I've seen.
Headquarters