PetSmart Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace
Pet Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2017
PetSmart is a wonderful place to work. I have had nothing but a wonderful experience working there.I have the wonderful coworkers and management. The culture is something I have never experience in any previous positions. I find myself enjoying spending time at work and never dreading any day.

A typical day at work involves a lot of customer interactions. Although PetSmart is a retail position when dealing with questions about and care for people's animal it involves a very strong sense of customer care.

However, having worked there for over four years I believe I have outgrown my position there. Working here has been a joy, there is just a lack of room for advancement.
Worst place ever
Pet Care Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 March 2017
My particular location was ridiculous. We had to set up the store in 3 weeks and the entire time my manager just barked at everyone. I was given very little training on how to handle the animals and no product knowledge. I was then laid off a day before my 3 months were up due to me having been very vocal about how the animals were being mistreated. Oh and sitting while I was fixing a display on the bottom shelf (so for being "lazy"). I know this sounds like a person just being really bitter but honestly I have worked a lot of places and have never been so disrespected as a human being. The staff turn over was every couple weeks which is pretty sad.
Pros
Cons
everything
Good first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC21 March 2017
Although I wouldn't say PetSmart is right for everyone long term, the job offers many part-time opportunities for new entrants to the work market. The work is mostly fun, and managers get to know each associate and do their best to work your shifts around your schedule and preferences.
Pros
Employee discount, working with animals depending on position, extra 10 cents per hour for uniform cleaning cost
Cons
Catty co-workers, occasionally silly scheduling
Great company, but didn't follow rules where necessary
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 March 2017
I was an ASM that put dog food on the shelf every day. The store was not as successful as they had hoped so hours were cut back very quickly, which I completely understand due to lack of sales. They were planning on a second store in the next year but put it on hold due to being unsuccessful. I felt that associates weren't held accountable enough. Rules were broken often...
It's a really great place to volunteer because the people are very nice and friendly
Pet smart volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 March 2017
While I was volunteering here it definitely gives you good hours at the adopt a thon usually about 4 to 5 hours and that goes to my volunteer hours for school. Great work environment and it's clean.
Pros
Clean and fun to be around because of the pets and people working there
Cons
On occasion it was hard to find supplies
Enjoyed working with the live animals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gateway Park Drive Kitchener23 December 2016
I never had a typical day at Pet Smart. I did everything from cleaning, pricing, scheduling, empty shelf audits, shipping, receiving. cash. Really any thing that I was able to learn I did. The upper management was good. My co-workers were younger but always willing to learn. The hardest part of my job was trying to always stay on top of rotating products. Always enjoyed seeing the customers with their pets.
Pros
Live pets
Cons
Ratation of the products
Fun and friendly workplace, exciting and fast-paced work environment
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON16 December 2016
A typical day at work would start with me greeting whoever was working the Pet Care department before me, and receiving the keys and work phone from them. I would ask what tasks were completed and what still needs to be done to determine what needs to be completed. I assist customers as I complete required tasks, and when all tasks are completed I focus on caring for the animals, such as making sure all bedding is clean, all food and water dishes are clean and filled, and making sure all the animals are healthy.
Pros
Friendly Co-Workers and Fun Work Environment
Cons
Can be hectic and busy at times
They are so cruel!!!
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/A4 December 2016
They treat their animals terribly! They don't get any medical attention and are just left there to die. They use glue traps to "control" their mice and pieces of their skin and fur are ripped off! Some are even so desperate to get free that they chew off their own limbs! They're also forced to breed even when they don't want to at these terrible animal mills like Rainbow World Exotics! Don't buy anything from PetSmart and don't work there because you're just enforcing this animal cruelty.
Learned the beginning of dog grooming
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON24 November 2016
Petsmart was a stepping stone into the grooming world. I learned the basics from their grooming academy however anything beyond that was left up to myself to learn by watching other groomers I worked with. Luckily the other groomers were eager to allow me to watch and learn from them.
We had to conform to the way Petsmart wanted things done for groomers and something it would be difficult to obtain their ideal standards such as grooming as many dogs that were booked and still have time to take a lunch break. Pleasing customers was always number 1.
I enjoyed learning everything I did and had some great co-workers along the way.
Pros
stepping stone to grooming world
Cons
Having bosses that didn't understand grooming
Fun workplace
Pets hotel associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 December 2016
Despite having to write 15 individual logs for each dog, it's fun to interact with all the pets that come into the pets hotel every day. I always enjoy watching over them and having friendly conversations with neighboring employees. It's definitely an exciting environment that doesn't get old.
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Constant standing, running around and cleanup after dogs
Interesting Job
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB2 February 2017
Decent Job
- Management was very nice but could train there employees better.
- Most enjoyable part is working with the animals.
- hardest part of the job was i felt i wasn't trained on everything and sometimes it was hard to track down someone to help me, as well as being there for customers.
Pros
management
Cons
not very much hands on training
Awesome management and genuine coworkers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
A typical day at work will always include helping customers, which is a big aspect that Petsmart takes pride in. Not only do we help customers, we always make time to take care of all the animals, which means feeding, , and cleaning all the cages.
Throughout the year at Petsmart i have learned many things. I have learned how to be more social with others. I have also learned an endless amount of information about how to take care of different animals like reptiles, fish, birds, and rodents. i am still learning new things ever shift.
The people i work with are very welcoming and fun. They make the job exciting because we are always talking about our pets at home and always learning from each other. The management as well is very good. They are very honest people and are very easy to approach if I have something wrong.
Fun environment
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 February 2017
My experience working with dogs all day is a dream come true. I learned responsibility, time management. The hardest part is dealing with over protective pet parents. Most enjoyable part is the time spent with 15 dogs in a room.
Pros
Play with dogs all day
Cons
long hours on feet
Fun work environment, friendly staff
Assist groomers (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB3 October 2016
Day's start by checking dogs in making sure they are healthy and, making sure we know what needs to be done with them. The hardest part of the job would probably be making sure the dogs are not endangering themselves or others around them. The best part is would be when the pet parent picks the dog up they are so happy and thankful, makes you feel like you did a good job.
Pros
Learning how to work with the animals.
Cons
Not enough pay.
run the other way
petcare (Former Employee) –  ontario27 February 2017
This place is a joke to work for. The only good thing about it is there's always something to do and obviously the animals. If you're a true animal advocate I don't suggest working here.. Especially in the pet care department . they have no idea how to take care of reptiles and company procedures and policies are not reflective of what's best for the animals. I don't know how many bearded dragons and other reptiles I seen get sick and pass away over my three years there.. It was depressing and unnecessary. Reptile supplier clearly had no idea what they were doing and I can guarantee you they were inbreeding and their environment was improper and unsanitary. When brought up to management to see if switching to a better supplier was an option we were basically told no and nothing they could do. Got reminded frequently very visits are unnecessary because it's cheaper to let them die as they are just a "product". Would never ever EVER recommend this place to anybody. Not even to shop there !!
Really busy and fast paced
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON7 November 2016
I enjoyed working here, but it was a bit much for me. I was an early morning stocker and lifting the heavy bags of food was a bit much to do 4 hours straight with no breaks in the middle. the staff were very friendly and inviting and were always willing to help each other out. this was a great job it just wasn't for me.
Dead end job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2016
Greta job if all your trying to do is get by financially and don't see yourself staying in this position forever. Good interim job while your getting an education to have a real career
Pros
everyone loves animals
Cons
no room for advancement, poor management.
Great Place to Work Part-time
Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON20 March 2017
Loved my time with Petsmart. Great company to work for and great management. Love meeting new parents and their pets. Was great with getting time off if needed. Flexible with shifts
Pros
Work in setting with animals
Cons
Good place to work for a student
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 January 2017
Working in the petcare department was really fun. I learned a lot about the care of animals and interesting facts about some of the exotic animals they would have. Fellow employees were great to work with.
Great career opportunity
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2017
Pet Smart gave me a great opportunity, I was trained and became certified as a dog groomer. This job was great with a good chance for job growth. The only downfall is work place drama.
Pros
They help you with a career
Cons
Drama

66%