PetSmart Employee Reviews

They are so cruel!!!
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/A4 December 2016
They treat their animals terribly! They don't get any medical attention and are just left there to die. They use glue traps to "control" their mice and pieces of their skin and fur are ripped off! Some are even so desperate to get free that they chew off their own limbs! They're also forced to breed even when they don't want to at these terrible animal mills like Rainbow World Exotics! Don't buy anything from PetSmart and don't work there because you're just enforcing this animal cruelty.
Learned the beginning of dog grooming
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON24 November 2016
Petsmart was a stepping stone into the grooming world. I learned the basics from their grooming academy however anything beyond that was left up to myself to learn by watching other groomers I worked with. Luckily the other groomers were eager to allow me to watch and learn from them.
We had to conform to the way Petsmart wanted things done for groomers and something it would be difficult to obtain their ideal standards such as grooming as many dogs that were booked and still have time to take a lunch break. Pleasing customers was always number 1.
I enjoyed learning everything I did and had some great co-workers along the way.
Pros
stepping stone to grooming world
Cons
Having bosses that didn't understand grooming
Fun work environment, friendly staff
Assist groomers (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB3 October 2016
Day's start by checking dogs in making sure they are healthy and, making sure we know what needs to be done with them. The hardest part of the job would probably be making sure the dogs are not endangering themselves or others around them. The best part is would be when the pet parent picks the dog up they are so happy and thankful, makes you feel like you did a good job.
Pros
Learning how to work with the animals.
Cons
Not enough pay.
Awesome management and genuine coworkers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
A typical day at work will always include helping customers, which is a big aspect that Petsmart takes pride in. Not only do we help customers, we always make time to take care of all the animals, which means feeding, , and cleaning all the cages.
Throughout the year at Petsmart i have learned many things. I have learned how to be more social with others. I have also learned an endless amount of information about how to take care of different animals like reptiles, fish, birds, and rodents. i am still learning new things ever shift.
The people i work with are very welcoming and fun. They make the job exciting because we are always talking about our pets at home and always learning from each other. The management as well is very good. They are very honest people and are very easy to approach if I have something wrong.
A great placement of work
Professional Bather (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 August 2016
The people are so welcoming, and friendly, makes you feel excited to go to work. I work in the grooming salon and it is like a family in there, everyone gets along so great, there is always laughing. It's a wonderful environment to work in. The hardest part about my job is dealing with some uncooperative dogs, but its also the most enjoyable part of my job. I have learned patience, how to control stress in stressful environments, and how to handle unhappy customers in a professional manner.
Really busy and fast paced
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON7 November 2016
I enjoyed working here, but it was a bit much for me. I was an early morning stocker and lifting the heavy bags of food was a bit much to do 4 hours straight with no breaks in the middle. the staff were very friendly and inviting and were always willing to help each other out. this was a great job it just wasn't for me.
Not a good place to work
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON2 July 2016
I learned to groom at petsmart at the beginning it was not bad. But as it has been stated. Management is not good. A lot of turn over, favoritism for sure. So when there was ever an issue with the favor co worker you where wrong. Even though it was the co worker. The open door policy was not good. It always turns and bites you. Had to deal with many work harassment issues that never got deal with. The stress I had o deal with was not worth working there.
Pros
I enjoyed my request clinits
Cons
Everything else, very poor managment
It's fun
Janitor and Stocker (Current Employee) –  1731 Kenaston Blvd, Winnipeg, MB R3Y 1V526 June 2016
- I learned more about cleaning as you go around the store paying close attention to detail

- Management is always happy to help and friendly

- Staff are great to work with

- The the hardest part about the job is cleaning the outside windows

- The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day you will always know you've done the job right, because as you end your shift if the managers ever catch you before you leave. They will always tell you when you did a good job or not giving some constructive feedback of what to do next time.

- Also, they always pay you weekly
Really bad and stressfull
Pet Stylist, Accredited Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  British Columbia5 September 2016
They don't take care of dogs or employees. Very stressful. Policies are NOT followed. Management doesn't care or do anything. Human resources doesn't do anything but talk to the manager. Nothing ever gets resolved. So much stress. Corruption
Pros
Cons
All of it
Fun, original workplace
Pet Care Specialist, pet stylist (Former Employee) –  Windsor ontario20 July 2016
My time at Petsmart was great! I learned a lot of new skills and enjoyed the staff. I had the opportunity to grow within the company as a bather, pet care associate, cashier, core associate and pet stylist. I would recommend this workplace.
Pros
Fun place to work, outgoing staff, good learning opportunities
Cons
I really enjoyed working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 June 2016
A typical day for me was working as a cashier, helping to stock shelves and collecting donations for the local SPCA. I learned all my cashiering skills from this job and a lot of my people skills as well. My management was very organized and reliable in terms of giving me hours and my co-workers were easy to get along with. There weren't many hard parts about my job, I struggled at first with cashiering but managed to pick it up easier than I thought I would. I really enjoyed this job, if it weren't for school (I am graduated now) I would still be working there.
Fast pased job with lots of furry friends
Pet Care Associate, Cashier, Groomer, Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 July 2016
As I spent lots of time in different departments, I spent the most time taking care of the animals and assisting customers with purchases. I learned a lot about caring for animals, and even more with dog and cat dietary needs. It was very easy to adjust with oher coworkers because we were all animal lovers and had their best intrest at heart. The absolute best part of the job was to be able to help customers fix their pets problems by finding appropriate products and fod to fit their needs. It was the best feeling when they would come back later and look for you and tell you the improvments their pets made after using some helpful products. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance multiple customers at a time when working in the back with the fish and insects.
Pros
Being surrounded by animals
Cons
Not being able to work more hours
PetsHotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON23 August 2016
It's a great company to work for. Everyone who works there shares a passion for pets/animals, so it is easy to find common ground with co-workers and managers. Most managers are great, and they do not forget the human element when dealing with associates. It was like a family.
very causal working environment
Sales Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON15 August 2016
I like their crossing training. Meaning you get trained for almost every aspect that needed in the store.

the great thing about working with PetSmart is that I can help pet parents and their lovely pets.
Pros
friendly co worker
Cons
low pay/minium benefits package
Grooming Salon
Professional Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON12 July 2016
The grooming salon is a very fast paced environment, but very rewarding. The hardest part of the job is handling dogs that are stressed, as you often times don't know how they will react or behave. Everyone is very supportive, and willing to help if you are having a stressful day. The girls that I work with are wonderful.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 November 2016
I love working at petsmart because you get to see new puppys and work with a great staff. the management is fair. the co workers are amazing. the most enjoyable part is the environment
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
minimual hours
good for new workers
Cashier, Customer Service, stocking, dog trainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2016
This job is good for people to want a first time job or part time job, if you love animals. However, this job is only good for temporary employment in most cases there is no room for advancement.
not the best
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2016
the managers have their priorities wrong and they choose favourites which is stupid, give bad hours. this place reminds me of high school
a lot of drama
Pros
good co workers
Cons
poor management, bad hours, low pay
Loved working with the animals!
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 August 2016
How can you be in a bad mood around all those furry faces! Love working with the animals, feeding, cleaning up after them and of course cuddling. Learn a lot about nutritional benefits for several breeds of animals.
Good place to work if animals are your #1
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 June 2016
I really loved working here as caring for animals and helping customers make the best decisions for their pets was my #1. Every day was a fun day between catching fish and having laughs to making sure the customers knew the right product for there specified pet.