PetSmart Employee Reviews

cheap company /horrible pay/ bad managment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  ontario canada26 August 2016
I worked at Pertmart for 5 years.. they give little to no raises, my manager would usually find a way to not give you a raise. for instance you must get 3/5 rating to get a raise, no one will ever give you a 5 I was told that in person by management due to fact that the raise would be to much. So I was given a 3 by my direct manager and the store manager changed it to a 2.9 which means no raise for me. They push sales on you for the most ridiculous things, I mean how hard Is it to sell hair extensions for dogs ?? ( seriously?) . I was making the same amount per hour at 5 years as people who were just hired, minimum wage would go up and then ours would just stay the same.

our Christmas parties were in the center of the store, I'm which we had to bringo our own food to. I'm sure a multi million dollar company cant even afford to buy some food for staff. All you're equipment that you purchase also has to be maintained and sharpened out of your pocket even though most to all the money for grooms Is going to the company.

managers try to over run you with dogs, not caring that you havnt had a single break in 8 hours just as long as you are making the quota so they can get their big bonus at the end of the year ( but you doing all the hard work? not so much )

oh and prepare to have some war wounds, can be a dangerous job at times with some poorly behaved pets!

I could go on. basically they don't care about staff in the least bit. which is ultimately why I quit.
Pros
Cons
terrible pay/ bad managment / dont care about staff / no perks
Awesome management and genuine coworkers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
A typical day at work will always include helping customers, which is a big aspect that Petsmart takes pride in. Not only do we help customers, we always make time to take care of all the animals, which means feeding, , and cleaning all the cages.
Throughout the year at Petsmart i have learned many things. I have learned how to be more social with others. I have also learned an endless amount of information about how to take care of different animals like reptiles, fish, birds, and rodents. i am still learning new things ever shift.
The people i work with are very welcoming and fun. They make the job exciting because we are always talking about our pets at home and always learning from each other. The management as well is very good. They are very honest people and are very easy to approach if I have something wrong.
Pet Care Associate
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2016
A typical day at work would be getting to the store around 8:00am cleaning the cat cages one at a time wiping them down, scooping litter, refilling water and food, and giving the animals some love. Then moving on to the back rooms. Treating sick animals, refilling their water and food, spot cleaning their cages and filling out a chart with what you had done for them and whether they had improved or not. Next I take care of the animals on the floor refilling food and water, spot cleaning and checking to make sure they're all healthy. Then I feed the fish and spot clean their tanks.
I learnt a lot about individual animals and their specific needs and how to properly care for them. I also learnt a lot about customer service.
The management and my coworkers were great. They were very supportive and goal-oriented which pushed me to be better.
Everything about this job was enjoyable. I learned something new every single day, I loved being around the animals and caring for them, the people I worked with were awesome and it was just an overall great experience.
Great place to learn and grow
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON15 August 2016
Excellent training program and benefits. Had a great time. I was able to further my career and move up as the process was defined.
Pros
Great personal and professional development programs
Terrible company. Slave drivers
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON16 March 2016
As a vet tech for 10 years, I was beyond disgusted over the care given to animals in their store. We had yellow fungus outbreaks on bearded dragons, the stores policy for keeping it from spreading was pitiful and not trained to staff. We had goldfish feeders that were dropping by the minute on the floor but the manager tried to say that it was NORMAL.. one morning there was 112 feeders dead. Explain that to customers!

Seriously... just stay away. They pay under minimum wage. The hours are terrible. They don't care about their employees or the animals. This is your warning!!
Pros
Not much
Cons
bad pay, over worked, no benefits, no breaks, rude management, terrible company
It's fun
Janitor and Stocker (Current Employee) –  1731 Kenaston Blvd, Winnipeg, MB R3Y 1V526 June 2016
- I learned more about cleaning as you go around the store paying close attention to detail

- Management is always happy to help and friendly

- Staff are great to work with

- The the hardest part about the job is cleaning the outside windows

- The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day you will always know you've done the job right, because as you end your shift if the managers ever catch you before you leave. They will always tell you when you did a good job or not giving some constructive feedback of what to do next time.

- Also, they always pay you weekly
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 November 2016
I love working at petsmart because you get to see new puppys and work with a great staff. the management is fair. the co workers are amazing. the most enjoyable part is the environment
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
minimual hours
Great people; fun interactions with pets and owners
Senior Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 February 2016
For the most part working at PetSmart is great, lots of great co-workers and if you love animals the culture will satisfy you. Once your part of the benefits program it's really comprehensive and worthwhile.

Sometimes management can be volatile, usually changing and moving around.
Not a good place to work
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON2 July 2016
I learned to groom at petsmart at the beginning it was not bad. But as it has been stated. Management is not good. A lot of turn over, favoritism for sure. So when there was ever an issue with the favor co worker you where wrong. Even though it was the co worker. The open door policy was not good. It always turns and bites you. Had to deal with many work harassment issues that never got deal with. The stress I had o deal with was not worth working there.
Pros
I enjoyed my request clinits
Cons
Everything else, very poor managment
Learned the beginning of dog grooming
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON24 November 2016
Petsmart was a stepping stone into the grooming world. I learned the basics from their grooming academy however anything beyond that was left up to myself to learn by watching other groomers I worked with. Luckily the other groomers were eager to allow me to watch and learn from them.
We had to conform to the way Petsmart wanted things done for groomers and something it would be difficult to obtain their ideal standards such as grooming as many dogs that were booked and still have time to take a lunch break. Pleasing customers was always number 1.
I enjoyed learning everything I did and had some great co-workers along the way.
Pros
stepping stone to grooming world
Cons
Having bosses that didn't understand grooming
I really enjoyed working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 June 2016
A typical day for me was working as a cashier, helping to stock shelves and collecting donations for the local SPCA. I learned all my cashiering skills from this job and a lot of my people skills as well. My management was very organized and reliable in terms of giving me hours and my co-workers were easy to get along with. There weren't many hard parts about my job, I struggled at first with cashiering but managed to pick it up easier than I thought I would. I really enjoyed this job, if it weren't for school (I am graduated now) I would still be working there.
Really bad and stressfull
Pet Stylist, Accredited Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  British Columbia5 September 2016
They don't take care of dogs or employees. Very stressful. Policies are NOT followed. Management doesn't care or do anything. Human resources doesn't do anything but talk to the manager. Nothing ever gets resolved. So much stress. Corruption
Pros
Cons
All of it
not the best
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2016
the managers have their priorities wrong and they choose favourites which is stupid, give bad hours. this place reminds me of high school
a lot of drama
Pros
good co workers
Cons
poor management, bad hours, low pay
good for new workers
Cashier, Customer Service, stocking, dog trainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2016
This job is good for people to want a first time job or part time job, if you love animals. However, this job is only good for temporary employment in most cases there is no room for advancement.
very causal working environment
Sales Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON15 August 2016
I like their crossing training. Meaning you get trained for almost every aspect that needed in the store.

the great thing about working with PetSmart is that I can help pet parents and their lovely pets.
Pros
friendly co worker
Cons
low pay/minium benefits package
excellent place to work at
Part-time pet care specialist (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON30 August 2016
petsmart was a great place to work, friendly co-workers, enjoyable work experience, and there was always a dog around to pet! great management in every department.
Stay away!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
They treat their employees like dirt. I've watched managers text message each other on the Floor to laugh about an employee. Ive seen management try to sabatoge a person's job because they didn't like them. I've watched managers avoid answering a page because they didn't want to be near the till. I've seen the store manager refuse to meet with customers. This company use to be about pets and owners and now they are all about money. They get the employees to work they're butts off and then give the store manager a bonus because the numbers went up. Oh, but at least the employees get a Care Card for their free can of soda (Really?!). This place is just slowly dying out. No room to grow, no support, horrible training. Bottom line... The place is a joke .
Pros
Cons
To many to mention
I enjoyed working with the animals
Pet Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC21 November 2016
I didn't get to work here for very long and during my time there the management changed a few times and it made work consistency amoungst the whole team weak
They are so cruel!!!
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/A4 December 2016
They treat their animals terribly! They don't get any medical attention and are just left there to die. They use glue traps to "control" their mice and pieces of their skin and fur are ripped off! Some are even so desperate to get free that they chew off their own limbs! They're also forced to breed even when they don't want to at these terrible animal mills like Rainbow World Exotics! Don't buy anything from PetSmart and don't work there because you're just enforcing this animal cruelty.
Loved working with the animals!
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 August 2016
How can you be in a bad mood around all those furry faces! Love working with the animals, feeding, cleaning up after them and of course cuddling. Learn a lot about nutritional benefits for several breeds of animals.