PetSmart Employee Reviews

Terrible company. Slave drivers
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 16, 2016
As a vet tech for 10 years, I was beyond disgusted over the care given to animals in their store. We had yellow fungus outbreaks on bearded dragons, the stores policy for keeping it from spreading was pitiful and not trained to staff. We had goldfish feeders that were dropping by the minute on the floor but the manager tried to say that it was NORMAL.. one morning there was 112 feeders dead. Explain that to customers!

Seriously... just stay away. They pay under minimum wage. The hours are terrible. They don't care about their employees or the animals. This is your warning!!
Pros
Not much
Cons
bad pay, over worked, no benefits, no breaks, rude management, terrible company
Great people; fun interactions with pets and owners
Senior Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 23, 2016
For the most part working at PetSmart is great, lots of great co-workers and if you love animals the culture will satisfy you. Once your part of the benefits program it's really comprehensive and worthwhile.

Sometimes management can be volatile, usually changing and moving around.
Stay away!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
They treat their employees like dirt. I've watched managers text message each other on the Floor to laugh about an employee. Ive seen management try to sabatoge a person's job because they didn't like them. I've watched managers avoid answering a page because they didn't want to be near the till. I've seen the store manager refuse to meet with customers. This company use to be about pets and owners and now they are all about money. They get the employees to work they're butts off and then give the store manager a bonus because the numbers went up. Oh, but at least the employees get a Care Card for their free can of soda (Really?!). This place is just slowly dying out. No room to grow, no support, horrible training. Bottom line... The place is a joke .
Pros
Cons
To many to mention
Management is the only decent thing about this job.
Groomer Trainee/Professional Bather (Current Employee) –  CanadaMarch 18, 2016
I work in the grooming salon, and a couple months into the job someone is trying to get me fired by giving customers false information and deleting appointments from the system, and claiming to be me. Because of this, the salon manager is treating me like garbage and never even confronted me directly about this. Instead I found out about this from a couple of the groomers that just happened to be in that day. Nothing but drama and you get payed the same as a cashier even though you're doing twice as much work and dealing with live animals. Also discussed the minimum amount of hours I need to work a week (20-25 hours) because I'm living off of this money and 2 months into the job and my hours have been reduced to 15 hours a week. Most of management is nice and do whatever they can to make everyone comfortable and happy but they are only capable of doing so much. I honestly hate going to work, the atmosphere is very uncomfortable in the salon. If one person is having a bad day, especially the salon manager, it affects everyone's day. My suggestion is if you're thinking about becoming a groomer, don't do it through PetSmart. They claim you only need to be a trainee for a few months before you get sent to the academy but there are bathers that have been working the same position for over a year now and are absolutely miserable.
Fast pased job with lots of furry friends
Pet Care Associate, Cashier, Groomer, Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 18, 2016
As I spent lots of time in different departments, I spent the most time taking care of the animals and assisting customers with purchases. I learned a lot about caring for animals, and even more with dog and cat dietary needs. It was very easy to adjust with oher coworkers because we were all animal lovers and had their best intrest at heart. The absolute best part of the job was to be able to help customers fix their pets problems by finding appropriate products and fod to fit their needs. It was the best feeling when they would come back later and look for you and tell you the improvments their pets made after using some helpful products. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance multiple customers at a time when working in the back with the fish and insects.
Pros
Being surrounded by animals
Cons
Not being able to work more hours
Fun Place To Work, So Little Hours
Early morning stocker (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 16, 2016
Typical day at work would be 6AM-2:30 Mon-Fri, early morning stocker. Now it's "hey you're coming in on this day and you don't get to say no." I have no hours and they expect you to live off two or one shift a week.
I've learned about different pet products and what's in food, different brand names.
I think management isn't perfect but can definitely be worked on in some areas, for example creating consistent schedules for everyone.
Hardest part of the job is the inconsistent schedule I feel like I'm on call all the time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the pet parents and seeing the live animals everyday.
Pros
Fun work environment with all the animals
Cons
Needs consistent work schedules
It's fun
Janitor and Stocker (Current Employee) –  1731 Kenaston Blvd, Winnipeg, MB R3Y 1V5June 26, 2016
- I learned more about cleaning as you go around the store paying close attention to detail

- Management is always happy to help and friendly

- Staff are great to work with

- The the hardest part about the job is cleaning the outside windows

- The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day you will always know you've done the job right, because as you end your shift if the managers ever catch you before you leave. They will always tell you when you did a good job or not giving some constructive feedback of what to do next time.

- Also, they always pay you weekly
A great placement of work
Professional Bather (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONAugust 3, 2016
The people are so welcoming, and friendly, makes you feel excited to go to work. I work in the grooming salon and it is like a family in there, everyone gets along so great, there is always laughing. It's a wonderful environment to work in. The hardest part about my job is dealing with some uncooperative dogs, but its also the most enjoyable part of my job. I have learned patience, how to control stress in stressful environments, and how to handle unhappy customers in a professional manner.
Reason for two star rating.
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 24, 2015
Petsmart is a decent employer, and I was a satisfied employee. The reason for the poor achievement in job security, or advancement is they don't allow for growth internally. Management was replaced frequently in short terms. They do have good branch management, but this location lacked consistency. Therefore, certain management teams were bias.
Pros
Hours, Client loyal.
Cons
Poorly managed.
I really enjoyed working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJune 8, 2016
A typical day for me was working as a cashier, helping to stock shelves and collecting donations for the local SPCA. I learned all my cashiering skills from this job and a lot of my people skills as well. My management was very organized and reliable in terms of giving me hours and my co-workers were easy to get along with. There weren't many hard parts about my job, I struggled at first with cashiering but managed to pick it up easier than I thought I would. I really enjoyed this job, if it weren't for school (I am graduated now) I would still be working there.
Not a good place to work
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONJuly 2, 2016
I learned to groom at petsmart at the beginning it was not bad. But as it has been stated. Management is not good. A lot of turn over, favoritism for sure. So when there was ever an issue with the favor co worker you where wrong. Even though it was the co worker. The open door policy was not good. It always turns and bites you. Had to deal with many work harassment issues that never got deal with. The stress I had o deal with was not worth working there.
Pros
I enjoyed my request clinits
Cons
Everything else, very poor managment
Respectful, comfortable, fun workplace
Merchandise & Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONMarch 9, 2016
Always something new and fun going on in store, lots of new challenges to grow as an individual, helpful staff, new products and services to learn about, great management team, love to work so closely with different animals, committed workplace, team players.
Productive a great place to work
early morning stock (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 14, 2016
the typical day working at Petsmart is always something new everyday. I learned how to handle different types of animals and how to count inventory. the location was well managed i would work there again if asked the I worked with were great people and very friendly. The hardest part of the job was the over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m) I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to all the different customers that came in and helping them out with what they needed.
Pros
discounts on food for pets and grooming
Cons
over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m)
Fun, original workplace
Pet Care Specialist, pet stylist (Former Employee) –  Windsor ontarioJuly 20, 2016
My time at Petsmart was great! I learned a lot of new skills and enjoyed the staff. I had the opportunity to grow within the company as a bather, pet care associate, cashier, core associate and pet stylist. I would recommend this workplace.
Pros
Fun place to work, outgoing staff, good learning opportunities
Grooming Salon
Professional Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJuly 12, 2016
The grooming salon is a very fast paced environment, but very rewarding. The hardest part of the job is handling dogs that are stressed, as you often times don't know how they will react or behave. Everyone is very supportive, and willing to help if you are having a stressful day. The girls that I work with are wonderful.
Be yourself environment!!
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Petsmart; a fun place to work, you never know whats around the corner! You get to see the cute puppies, you have the opportunity to see the newest fashion and apparels; interesting things for your pet . At Petsmart you have the pleasure to learn so much from different peoples and how to communicate with different personalities, how to accomplish new things, and most of all, discover who you really are with the help of your co-workers. Unfortunately, it can be stressful with aggressive dogs or cleaning someones elses mess ( the dogs ) but the most enjoyable part of the job is that people know you love what you do. You can be yourself, have fun , laugh, make silly sounds and guess what? you get paid for it! Seeing the smile of someone walking away from a groom there first visit happy and cheerful, is priceless..
Pros
Actually WANTING to go to work
Cons
Stressful and abused animals come and go
Really bad and stressfull
Pet Stylist, Accredited Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaSeptember 5, 2016
They don't take care of dogs or employees. Very stressful. Policies are NOT followed. Management doesn't care or do anything. Human resources doesn't do anything but talk to the manager. Nothing ever gets resolved. So much stress. Corruption
Pros
Cons
All of it
very causal working environment
Sales Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONAugust 15, 2016
I like their crossing training. Meaning you get trained for almost every aspect that needed in the store.

the great thing about working with PetSmart is that I can help pet parents and their lovely pets.
Pros
friendly co worker
Cons
low pay/minium benefits package
PetsHotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONAugust 23, 2016
It's a great company to work for. Everyone who works there shares a passion for pets/animals, so it is easy to find common ground with co-workers and managers. Most managers are great, and they do not forget the human element when dealing with associates. It was like a family.
Good place to work if animals are your #1
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 21, 2016
I really loved working here as caring for animals and helping customers make the best decisions for their pets was my #1. Every day was a fun day between catching fish and having laughs to making sure the customers knew the right product for there specified pet.