PetSmart Employee Reviews

They are so cruel!!!
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/A4 December 2016
They treat their animals terribly! They don't get any medical attention and are just left there to die. They use glue traps to "control" their mice and pieces of their skin and fur are ripped off! Some are even so desperate to get free that they chew off their own limbs! They're also forced to breed even when they don't want to at these terrible animal mills like Rainbow World Exotics! Don't buy anything from PetSmart and don't work there because you're just enforcing this animal cruelty.
Learned the beginning of dog grooming
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON24 November 2016
Petsmart was a stepping stone into the grooming world. I learned the basics from their grooming academy however anything beyond that was left up to myself to learn by watching other groomers I worked with. Luckily the other groomers were eager to allow me to watch and learn from them.
We had to conform to the way Petsmart wanted things done for groomers and something it would be difficult to obtain their ideal standards such as grooming as many dogs that were booked and still have time to take a lunch break. Pleasing customers was always number 1.
I enjoyed learning everything I did and had some great co-workers along the way.
Pros
stepping stone to grooming world
Cons
Having bosses that didn't understand grooming
I enjoyed working with the animals
Pet Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC21 November 2016
I didn't get to work here for very long and during my time there the management changed a few times and it made work consistency amoungst the whole team weak
Decent work environment, good customers.
Cahier (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON17 November 2016
The overall work environment was good and the customers were great! Great discounts. Good products very educational.
Awesome management and genuine coworkers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
A typical day at work will always include helping customers, which is a big aspect that Petsmart takes pride in. Not only do we help customers, we always make time to take care of all the animals, which means feeding, , and cleaning all the cages.
Throughout the year at Petsmart i have learned many things. I have learned how to be more social with others. I have also learned an endless amount of information about how to take care of different animals like reptiles, fish, birds, and rodents. i am still learning new things ever shift.
The people i work with are very welcoming and fun. They make the job exciting because we are always talking about our pets at home and always learning from each other. The management as well is very good. They are very honest people and are very easy to approach if I have something wrong.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 November 2016
I love working at petsmart because you get to see new puppys and work with a great staff. the management is fair. the co workers are amazing. the most enjoyable part is the environment
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
minimual hours
Great Workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON7 November 2016
Employees are very friendly and easy to get along with. If you like working with pets and aren't afraid to get your hands a little dirty, this is the workplace for you.
Really busy and fast paced
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON7 November 2016
I enjoyed working here, but it was a bit much for me. I was an early morning stocker and lifting the heavy bags of food was a bit much to do 4 hours straight with no breaks in the middle. the staff were very friendly and inviting and were always willing to help each other out. this was a great job it just wasn't for me.
busy working place
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON2 November 2016
working all kinds of working house such as; 7am-10pm.
there are all kinds of co-workers such as part time and full time.
learning all the time. with customer services skills.
not the best
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2016
the managers have their priorities wrong and they choose favourites which is stupid, give bad hours. this place reminds me of high school
a lot of drama
Pros
good co workers
Cons
poor management, bad hours, low pay
I enjoy the people but no room to advance
Cashier/Pet care associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 October 2016
part time- sometimes I cashier and some times I do stock. I would like to be able to learn more than what they have allowed me.
Pet Care Associate
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2016
A typical day at work would be getting to the store around 8:00am cleaning the cat cages one at a time wiping them down, scooping litter, refilling water and food, and giving the animals some love. Then moving on to the back rooms. Treating sick animals, refilling their water and food, spot cleaning their cages and filling out a chart with what you had done for them and whether they had improved or not. Next I take care of the animals on the floor refilling food and water, spot cleaning and checking to make sure they're all healthy. Then I feed the fish and spot clean their tanks.
I learnt a lot about individual animals and their specific needs and how to properly care for them. I also learnt a lot about customer service.
The management and my coworkers were great. They were very supportive and goal-oriented which pushed me to be better.
Everything about this job was enjoyable. I learned something new every single day, I loved being around the animals and caring for them, the people I worked with were awesome and it was just an overall great experience.
Fun work environment, friendly staff
Assist groomers (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB3 October 2016
Day's start by checking dogs in making sure they are healthy and, making sure we know what needs to be done with them. The hardest part of the job would probably be making sure the dogs are not endangering themselves or others around them. The best part is would be when the pet parent picks the dog up they are so happy and thankful, makes you feel like you did a good job.
Pros
Learning how to work with the animals.
Cons
Not enough pay.
fun and frendly
Groomers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 September 2016
Had a wonderful experience working with this company the employees are all super friendly and there to help if you need it always working together to make it a safe and fun work environment
Amazing Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON21 September 2016
Petsmart was an amazing company to have worked at. I really loved the managers and staff as well as the customers. I had a blast working there and I will always feel like it is family.
good for new workers
Cashier, Customer Service, stocking, dog trainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2016
This job is good for people to want a first time job or part time job, if you love animals. However, this job is only good for temporary employment in most cases there is no room for advancement.
Really bad and stressfull
Pet Stylist, Accredited Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  British Columbia5 September 2016
They don't take care of dogs or employees. Very stressful. Policies are NOT followed. Management doesn't care or do anything. Human resources doesn't do anything but talk to the manager. Nothing ever gets resolved. So much stress. Corruption
Pros
Cons
All of it
excellent place to work at
Part-time pet care specialist (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON30 August 2016
petsmart was a great place to work, friendly co-workers, enjoyable work experience, and there was always a dog around to pet! great management in every department.
cheap company /horrible pay/ bad managment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  ontario canada26 August 2016
I worked at Pertmart for 5 years.. they give little to no raises, my manager would usually find a way to not give you a raise. for instance you must get 3/5 rating to get a raise, no one will ever give you a 5 I was told that in person by management due to fact that the raise would be to much. So I was given a 3 by my direct manager and the store manager changed it to a 2.9 which means no raise for me. They push sales on you for the most ridiculous things, I mean how hard Is it to sell hair extensions for dogs ?? ( seriously?) . I was making the same amount per hour at 5 years as people who were just hired, minimum wage would go up and then ours would just stay the same.

our Christmas parties were in the center of the store, I'm which we had to bringo our own food to. I'm sure a multi million dollar company cant even afford to buy some food for staff. All you're equipment that you purchase also has to be maintained and sharpened out of your pocket even though most to all the money for grooms Is going to the company.

managers try to over run you with dogs, not caring that you havnt had a single break in 8 hours just as long as you are making the quota so they can get their big bonus at the end of the year ( but you doing all the hard work? not so much )

oh and prepare to have some war wounds, can be a dangerous job at times with some poorly behaved pets!

I could go on. basically they don't care about staff in the least bit. which is ultimately why I quit.
Pros
Cons
terrible pay/ bad managment / dont care about staff / no perks
PetsHotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON23 August 2016
It's a great company to work for. Everyone who works there shares a passion for pets/animals, so it is easy to find common ground with co-workers and managers. Most managers are great, and they do not forget the human element when dealing with associates. It was like a family.