PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Terrible company. Slave drivers
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 16, 2016
As a vet tech for 10 years, I was beyond disgusted over the care given to animals in their store. We had yellow fungus outbreaks on bearded dragons, the stores policy for keeping it from spreading was pitiful and not trained to staff. We had goldfish feeders that were dropping by the minute on the floor but the manager tried to say that it was NORMAL.. one morning there was 112 feeders dead. Explain that to customers!

Seriously... just stay away. They pay under minimum wage. The hours are terrible. They don't care about their employees or the animals. This is your warning!!
Pros
Not much
Cons
bad pay, over worked, no benefits, no breaks, rude management, terrible company
Great people; fun interactions with pets and owners
Senior Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 23, 2016
For the most part working at PetSmart is great, lots of great co-workers and if you love animals the culture will satisfy you. Once your part of the benefits program it's really comprehensive and worthwhile.

Sometimes management can be volatile, usually changing and moving around.
Stay away!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
They treat their employees like dirt. I've watched managers text message each other on the Floor to laugh about an employee. Ive seen management try to sabatoge a person's job because they didn't like them. I've watched managers avoid answering a page because they didn't want to be near the till. I've seen the store manager refuse to meet with customers. This company use to be about pets and owners and now they are all about money. They get the employees to work they're butts off and then give the store manager a bonus because the numbers went up. Oh, but at least the employees get a Care Card for their free can of soda (Really?!). This place is just slowly dying out. No room to grow, no support, horrible training. Bottom line... The place is a joke .
Pros
Cons
To many to mention
Management is the only decent thing about this job.
Groomer Trainee/Professional Bather (Current Employee) –  CanadaMarch 18, 2016
I work in the grooming salon, and a couple months into the job someone is trying to get me fired by giving customers false information and deleting appointments from the system, and claiming to be me. Because of this, the salon manager is treating me like garbage and never even confronted me directly about this. Instead I found out about this from a couple of the groomers that just happened to be in that day. Nothing but drama and you get payed the same as a cashier even though you're doing twice as much work and dealing with live animals. Also discussed the minimum amount of hours I need to work a week (20-25 hours) because I'm living off of this money and 2 months into the job and my hours have been reduced to 15 hours a week. Most of management is nice and do whatever they can to make everyone comfortable and happy but they are only capable of doing so much. I honestly hate going to work, the atmosphere is very uncomfortable in the salon. If one person is having a bad day, especially the salon manager, it affects everyone's day. My suggestion is if you're thinking about becoming a groomer, don't do it through PetSmart. They claim you only need to be a trainee for a few months before you get sent to the academy but there are bathers that have been working the same position for over a year now and are absolutely miserable.
Fun Place To Work, So Little Hours
Early morning stocker (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 16, 2016
Typical day at work would be 6AM-2:30 Mon-Fri, early morning stocker. Now it's "hey you're coming in on this day and you don't get to say no." I have no hours and they expect you to live off two or one shift a week.
I've learned about different pet products and what's in food, different brand names.
I think management isn't perfect but can definitely be worked on in some areas, for example creating consistent schedules for everyone.
Hardest part of the job is the inconsistent schedule I feel like I'm on call all the time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the pet parents and seeing the live animals everyday.
Pros
Fun work environment with all the animals
Cons
Needs consistent work schedules
Reason for two star rating.
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 24, 2015
Petsmart is a decent employer, and I was a satisfied employee. The reason for the poor achievement in job security, or advancement is they don't allow for growth internally. Management was replaced frequently in short terms. They do have good branch management, but this location lacked consistency. Therefore, certain management teams were bias.
Pros
Hours, Client loyal.
Cons
Poorly managed.
Respectful, comfortable, fun workplace
Merchandise & Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONMarch 9, 2016
Always something new and fun going on in store, lots of new challenges to grow as an individual, helpful staff, new products and services to learn about, great management team, love to work so closely with different animals, committed workplace, team players.
corporate company through and through
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABAugust 10, 2015
I learned a lot working with petsmart. But the overall culture is'nt very professional. Management training is very good at all. I worked for the company for 4 1/2 years and as soon as i made some mistakes they fired me,
Pros
good benifets
Cons
Very high turn over rate
Be yourself environment!!
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Petsmart; a fun place to work, you never know whats around the corner! You get to see the cute puppies, you have the opportunity to see the newest fashion and apparels; interesting things for your pet . At Petsmart you have the pleasure to learn so much from different peoples and how to communicate with different personalities, how to accomplish new things, and most of all, discover who you really are with the help of your co-workers. Unfortunately, it can be stressful with aggressive dogs or cleaning someones elses mess ( the dogs ) but the most enjoyable part of the job is that people know you love what you do. You can be yourself, have fun , laugh, make silly sounds and guess what? you get paid for it! Seeing the smile of someone walking away from a groom there first visit happy and cheerful, is priceless..
Pros
Actually WANTING to go to work
Cons
Stressful and abused animals come and go
Fantastic people and a more positive environment!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMay 19, 2016
Management has changed in this store and the overall feel is completely different. Great team members and they genuinely care about their staff and the animals in their care! I love seeing regular pet parents come in and we get to watch their puppies grow up! Very busy and always something to do! Lots of opportunities to move within the company and management is very supportive of their staff! I love this place and the people that work there!
Pros
Great benefits, good staff and excellent support!
Cons
Work/life balance and hours allotted to store for scheduling are lean
P-------
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I enjoy my day at P-------. My day starts by doing some paper work that includes things like negative inventory, things to be written off or returned. I then assign tasks to other associates to do daily opening tasks like feeding the animals and sweeping. I then would count tills and the cash float and then open the tills so that they are ready for when the store opens. I have a very good relationship with my fellow co-workers. We all work together as a team and always know how to get things done while having a good time. The most enjoyable part of petsmart is when customers come in with their dogs and puppies looking to get something new. The dogs are always so joyful. The hardest part of being a supervisor at petsmart is having to deal with unsatisfied customers. Although, over time I have learned how to find a happy medium with the customer with both parties leaving the conversation happy and content.
Productive a great place to work
early morning stock (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 14, 2016
the typical day working at Petsmart is always something new everyday. I learned how to handle different types of animals and how to count inventory. the location was well managed i would work there again if asked the I worked with were great people and very friendly. The hardest part of the job was the over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m) I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to all the different customers that came in and helping them out with what they needed.
Pros
discounts on food for pets and grooming
Cons
over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m)
Well run company but very tightly managed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Various locationsJanuary 21, 2016
Well run but no room for interpretation, it is the company way or the highway. Very little feedback from the floor, very top down organization.
Pros
Good pay and bonus for managers
Cons
Long hours are expected, work/life balance is a joke
working at petsmart
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  ScarboroughSeptember 2, 2015
it was fun to work at petsmart people there are supportive and reliable, they encourage you to do better.
a typical day at work would involve caring for the animals and preparing cages and food/water and clean environment, providing information and educating customers on products and animals.
the hardest part of the job i would say is time management with trying to get your daily duties done and assisting customers at the same time.
the most enjoyable part is knowing you are helping people and give a new animal a good and healthy home
Pros
working with animals
Cons
inconsistant
Awesome products, great staff
Associate (Former Employee) –  ChathamOctober 14, 2015
Worked with fantastic people, management is amazing and will work with you to the best of their abilities. The products are great and you are always being updated on products and receive additional training if needed. You are kept up to date on on-going issues and product incentives so that you are able to help customers in the best way possible.
Pros
Staff, management, store layout
Cons
scheduling conflicts
Didn't make it past training
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, OntarioJuly 26, 2015
I was so excited to get this job, even though I was leaving something else that was paying better. I got hired and immediately after I got hired store management changed. I liked both managers and assistant managers I met. I had to do testing on the computer before I could go on the floor. I went in twice to do this and both times the program froze and they sent me home. I was told I would get a call when the program was working correctly again.. apparently it was a store wide issue. Two weeks came and went and I didn't receive any phone calls. I called the store and they said it wasn't up and running yet. I found another job and was able to start that before they got the program up and running. Waste of time. Now I don't even go here to shop.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Outdated computer programs.
Working with animals big and small is fun and rewarding
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, OntarioJune 17, 2015
I have become an integral part of the management team.
I lead the culture and I am passionate in regards to my work and environment.
I have focused my efforts on customer service, team building and coaching for success.
I have many duties and follow them according to Petsmart's policies and procedures.
I work approximately 55 to 60 hours a week.
Pros
Working with dogs
Cons
working and not being able to take lunch breaks
Amazing team and company to work for.
dog bather (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 15, 2016
Wonderful company who care about the well being of not only the customers but the staff as well. I learnt how to bath a dog and do general grooming of dogs. Co-worker are friendly and very willing to teach you how to do things. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer system and all the prices for different dogs. I enjoy everything about this job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enoughpay
Productive workplace and really enjoyed the instore pets along with the walkin pets which made for an energized work enviroment.
Stock and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NSSeptember 30, 2015
Supportive management with positive direction.
Co-workers were very friendly and we all worked with a great team spirit. Constructive feedback was given often which helped me personally grow and develop strong work ethics.
Reasons why Petsmart is an OK job.
Jack of all Trades (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ONJanuary 1, 2016
Typically you'll be understaffed in most departments.I've learned a lot about animals, mostly aquatics. Most of my co-workers are in high school and don't really care about the quality of work they preform. The hardest part of my job is seeing animals viewed more as a purchasable commodity then a living creature that deserves respect. That being the main reason I don't like working there.
Pros
Meeting other animals enthusiats
Cons
Little hours and little pay.