PetSmart Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Terrible company. Slave drivers
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONMarch 16, 2016
Pros: Not much
Cons: bad pay, over worked, no benefits, no breaks, rude management, terrible company
As a vet tech for 10 years, I was beyond disgusted over the care given to animals in their store. We had yellow fungus outbreaks on bearded dragons, the stores policy for keeping it from spreading was pitiful and not trained to staff. We had goldfish feeders that were dropping by the minute on the floor but the manager tried to say that it was NORMAL.. one morning there was 112 feeders dead. Explain that to customers!

Seriously... just stay away. They pay under minimum wage. The hours are terrible. They don't care about their employees or the animals. This is your warning!!
Great people; fun interactions with pets and owners
Senior Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 23, 2016
For the most part working at PetSmart is great, lots of great co-workers and if you love animals the culture will satisfy you. Once your part of the benefits program it's really comprehensive and worthwhile.

Sometimes management can be volatile, usually changing and moving around.
Stay away!
Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Pros: None
Cons: To many to mention
They treat their employees like dirt. I've watched managers text message each other on the Floor to laugh about an employee. Ive seen management try to sabatoge a person's job because they didn't like them. I've watched managers avoid answering a page because they didn't want to be near the till. I've seen the store manager refuse to meet with customers. This company use to be about pets and owners and now they are all about money. They get the employees to work they're butts off and then give the store manager a bonus because the numbers went up. Oh, but at least the employees get a Care Card for their free can of soda (Really?!). This place is just slowly dying out. No room to grow, no support, horrible training. Bottom line... The place is a joke .
Fun Place To Work, So Little Hours
Early morning stocker (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 16, 2016
Pros: Fun work environment with all the animals
Cons: Needs consistent work schedules
Typical day at work would be 6AM-2:30 Mon-Fri, early morning stocker. Now it's "hey you're coming in on this day and you don't get to say no." I have no hours and they expect you to live off two or one shift a week.
I've learned about different pet products and what's in food, different brand names.
I think management isn't perfect but can definitely be worked on in some areas, for example creating consistent schedules for everyone.
Hardest part of the job is the inconsistent schedule I feel like I'm on call all the time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the pet parents and seeing the live animals everyday.
Management is the only decent thing about this job.
Groomer Trainee/Professional Bather (Current Employee), CanadaMarch 18, 2016
I work in the grooming salon, and a couple months into the job someone is trying to get me fired by giving customers false information and deleting appointments from the system, and claiming to be me. Because of this, the salon manager is treating me like garbage and never even confronted me directly about this. Instead I found out about this from a couple of the groomers that just happened to be in that day. Nothing but drama and you get payed the same as a cashier even though you're doing twice as much work and dealing with live animals. Also discussed the minimum amount of hours I need to work a week (20-25 hours) because I'm living off of this money and 2 months into the job and my hours have been reduced to 15 hours a week. Most of management is nice and do whatever they can to make everyone comfortable and happy but they are only capable of doing so much. I honestly hate going to work, the atmosphere is very uncomfortable in the salon. If one person is having a bad day, especially the salon manager, it affects everyone's day. My suggestion is if you're thinking about becoming a groomer, don't do it through PetSmart. They claim you only need to be a trainee for a few months before you get sent to the academy but there are bathers that have been working the same position for over a year now and are absolutely miserable.
Reason for two star rating.
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 24, 2015
Pros: Hours, Client loyal.
Cons: Poorly managed.
Petsmart is a decent employer, and I was a satisfied employee. The reason for the poor achievement in job security, or advancement is they don't allow for growth internally. Management was replaced frequently in short terms. They do have good branch management, but this location lacked consistency. Therefore, certain management teams were bias.
Be yourself environment!!
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: Actually WANTING to go to work
Cons: Stressful and abused animals come and go
Petsmart; a fun place to work, you never know whats around the corner! You get to see the cute puppies, you have the opportunity to see the newest fashion and apparels; interesting things for your pet . At Petsmart you have the pleasure to learn so much from different peoples and how to communicate with different personalities, how to accomplish new things, and most of all, discover who you really are with the help of your co-workers. Unfortunately, it can be stressful with aggressive dogs or cleaning someones elses mess ( the dogs ) but the most enjoyable part of the job is that people know you love what you do. You can be yourself, have fun , laugh, make silly sounds and guess what? you get paid for it! Seeing the smile of someone walking away from a groom there first visit happy and cheerful, is priceless..
P-------
Supervisor (Current Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I enjoy my day at P-------. My day starts by doing some paper work that includes things like negative inventory, things to be written off or returned. I then assign tasks to other associates to do daily opening tasks like feeding the animals and sweeping. I then would count tills and the cash float and then open the tills so that they are ready for when the store opens. I have a very good relationship with my fellow co-workers. We all work together as a team and always know how to get things done while having a good time. The most enjoyable part of petsmart is when customers come in with their dogs and puppies looking to get something new. The dogs are always so joyful. The hardest part of being a supervisor at petsmart is having to deal with unsatisfied customers. Although, over time I have learned how to find a happy medium with the customer with both parties leaving the conversation happy and content.
amazing staff and the customers were awesome
Cashier (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSJune 6, 2015
Pros: caring environment, stable hours
Cons: seeing animals get treated wrong by owners
the best part of my day was getting to see the variety of dogs, the staff were awesome like a family, for the most part the management was fair. I learned a lot about animal health and the benefits of high quality foods.
Wonderful Job Experience with Pet Smart
Pet Sitter (Former Employee), Whitby, ONApril 6, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, Customers, Experience in documenting files
Cons: Mean Cats, small space
Volunteering at Pet Smart was such a fun job! I personally love working with animals, and with this job, I gained so much experienced with pets and interaction with people looking to adopt the pets. The reason behind my 1 star for Salary/Benefits was because it was pure volunteer work and I was not paid. My co-workers were also wonderful! The hardest part of the job was having to deal with stray cats who were very viscous! The most enjoyable part of the job was just overall meeting new people and adopting cats!
Productive a great place to work
early morning stock (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 14, 2016
Pros: discounts on food for pets and grooming
Cons: over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m)
the typical day working at Petsmart is always something new everyday. I learned how to handle different types of animals and how to count inventory. the location was well managed i would work there again if asked the I worked with were great people and very friendly. The hardest part of the job was the over night shifts (9 p.m - 5 a.m) I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to all the different customers that came in and helping them out with what they needed.
petsmart
cashier and general stocks person (Former Employee), Windsor, ONOctober 20, 2015
Pros: met new people
Cons: long hours while standing
worked as cashier and shelf stocker. got to meet plenty of nice people. was paid for holidays. hourly wage was 11.00 hourly and was paid weekly
Respectful, comfortable, fun workplace
Merchandise & Inventory Manager (Current Employee), Belleville, ONMarch 9, 2016
Always something new and fun going on in store, lots of new challenges to grow as an individual, helpful staff, new products and services to learn about, great management team, love to work so closely with different animals, committed workplace, team players.
Well run company but very tightly managed
Store Manager (Former Employee), Various locationsJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: Good pay and bonus for managers
Cons: Long hours are expected, work/life balance is a joke
Well run but no room for interpretation, it is the company way or the highway. Very little feedback from the floor, very top down organization.
Rewarding Animal interactions, flexible hours, limited customers interactions, low pay have to work on Holidays.
PetsHotel Associate (Former Employee), Innes Road Plaza, 1750 Innes Rd Gloucester, ONJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours for a student, loving animals, friendly co workers, limited customer interactions. Time and a half on holidays
Cons: Low pay, have to work holidays can be very smelly, sometimes have to break up sudden dog fights.
The job is probably the best job I have had in my young life. You supervise the pets of Customers during your shift. Always making sure their rooms are clean, their water is fresh and comforting any dogs or cats that miss their owner. You will be on a walkie talkie at all times with your Petshotel Co workers so you can communicate problems. The earliest shifts start at 7 am and the latest shift ends at 9 pm.There is also Doggie Day Camp. You supervise the playroom for 1-4 hours making sure the dogs play safe, and under control. It can be loads of fun interacting with loving animals but the trade off is you're always cleaning up messes and the smell can be overpowering. Sometimes the room is relatively inactive and lacking stimulation so you can get very bored during the 3-4 hour room supervisions. At times you have to break up dog fights which can be hard to read, and can catch you completely unawares but coworkers do a great job coming to help you so you're not on your own. You also have feedings morning, noon and evening which you prepare among your co workers. Owners will come to pick up their dogs after their day of work so for about 2-3 times a day you will be hurrying around answering calls for a dog and bringing them to their owner.
The pay is minimum and the raises are slow and small. All in all I would say it was a great experience. The only reason I left is because I felt their was no room for advancement in pay or position for an ambitious person such as myself.
Reasons why Petsmart is an OK job.
Jack of all Trades (Current Employee), Ancaster, ONJanuary 1, 2016
Pros: Meeting other animals enthusiats
Cons: Little hours and little pay.
Typically you'll be understaffed in most departments.I've learned a lot about animals, mostly aquatics. Most of my co-workers are in high school and don't really care about the quality of work they preform. The hardest part of my job is seeing animals viewed more as a purchasable commodity then a living creature that deserves respect. That being the main reason I don't like working there.
Amazing team and company to work for.
dog bather (Current Employee), Moncton, NBMarch 15, 2016
Pros: free lunches
Cons: not enoughpay
Wonderful company who care about the well being of not only the customers but the staff as well. I learnt how to bath a dog and do general grooming of dogs. Co-worker are friendly and very willing to teach you how to do things. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer system and all the prices for different dogs. I enjoy everything about this job.
working at petsmart
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), ScarboroughSeptember 2, 2015
Pros: working with animals
Cons: inconsistant
it was fun to work at petsmart people there are supportive and reliable, they encourage you to do better.
a typical day at work would involve caring for the animals and preparing cages and food/water and clean environment, providing information and educating customers on products and animals.
the hardest part of the job i would say is time management with trying to get your daily duties done and assisting customers at the same time.
the most enjoyable part is knowing you are helping people and give a new animal a good and healthy home
corporate company through and through
Dog Groomer (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABAugust 10, 2015
Pros: good benifets
Cons: Very high turn over rate
I learned a lot working with petsmart. But the overall culture is'nt very professional. Management training is very good at all. I worked for the company for 4 1/2 years and as soon as i made some mistakes they fired me,
Awesome products, great staff
Associate (Former Employee), ChathamOctober 14, 2015
Pros: Staff, management, store layout
Cons: scheduling conflicts
Worked with fantastic people, management is amazing and will work with you to the best of their abilities. The products are great and you are always being updated on products and receive additional training if needed. You are kept up to date on on-going issues and product incentives so that you are able to help customers in the best way possible.
Headquarters