PetSmart

2.3K reviews

PetSmart Employee Reviews

Answer phone, groom dogs, clean. Overall not bad if your managers are decent.
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 12, 2013
At work I would answer phone calls, usually to book an appointment or to give quotes. During a check in, I would look over the dogs coat, skin, teeth, nails and ears and make suggestions\express concerns for grooming. Example, If a dogs coat is matted and I have to shave him\her I would explain to the owner what matts are, what matts do to the skin, how it effects the dog physically and emotionally, what to expect and how to prevent matts in the future. Then I would suggest special shampoos and conditioners to help the irritated skin. During check out I will go over what the dog coat was like, how it is now, what to expect and how to maintain skin\coat at home. Other duties involved cleaning, helping other groomers if they have a difficult dog, showing customers the products we sell, training new employees.

Although I went to college for animal care I also went to the petsmart grooming acedemy there I learned how to groom dogs. I learned customer service skills.

Coworkers are great and we get along well.

Dog grooming in general is not an easy job. You definitely need patience with the dogs and customers, you need a strong stomach (its not a glamours job by any means), you also need confidence and knowledge about animal behavior. One of the hardest things is dealing with an aggressive dog. Not only do you need fast reflexes, but its important to be very careful. Sometimes it can not be done, but if it does get done it is very rewarding.

The most enjoyable part is building the relationships with the dogs and owners. Working in a team environment.
Pros
benefits, employee of the month gets a chocolate bar or a drink, sometimes there is a service selling competition and whoever wins gets a prize
Cons
long hours, even if extremly slow people who work on commission have to stay the whole day
Rewarding Animal interactions, flexible hours, limited customers interactions, low pay have to work on Holidays.
PetsHotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Innes Road Plaza, 1750 Innes Rd Gloucester, ONJuly 13, 2015
The job is probably the best job I have had in my young life. You supervise the pets of Customers during your shift. Always making sure their rooms are clean, their water is fresh and comforting any dogs or cats that miss their owner. You will be on a walkie talkie at all times with your Petshotel Co workers so you can communicate problems. The earliest shifts start at 7 am and the latest shift ends at 9 pm.There is also Doggie Day Camp. You supervise the playroom for 1-4 hours making sure the dogs play safe, and under control. It can be loads of fun interacting with loving animals but the trade off is you're always cleaning up messes and the smell can be overpowering. Sometimes the room is relatively inactive and lacking stimulation so you can get very bored during the 3-4 hour room supervisions. At times you have to break up dog fights which can be hard to read, and can catch you completely unawares but coworkers do a great job coming to help you so you're not on your own. You also have feedings morning, noon and evening which you prepare among your co workers. Owners will come to pick up their dogs after their day of work so for about 2-3 times a day you will be hurrying around answering calls for a dog and bringing them to their owner.
The pay is minimum and the raises are slow and small. All in all I would say it was a great experience. The only reason I left is because I felt their was no room for advancement in pay or position for an ambitious person such as myself.
Pros
Flexible hours for a student, loving animals, friendly co workers, limited customer interactions. Time and a half on holidays
Cons
Low pay, have to work holidays can be very smelly, sometimes have to break up sudden dog fights.
Too small facility for hotel and day camp
PetsHotel Staff (Former Employee) –  torontoNovember 21, 2013
Its has been a great experience to work along side some very knowledgeable staff, but in terms of animal care and the actual facility, it is quite lacking. The indoor facility where the day camp takes place is much to small especially for the large dogs and is not designed very well. for the most part staff are caring and attentive and focused on the welfare of the dogs, but not surprisingly the managers are more focused on money then making sure the dogs are a good fit. There really seems to be no type of assessment done and dogs are just thrown into camp as long as they have their vaccines. Luckily a lot of dogs are great fits and seem to enjoy themselves but with the ones that do not(aggressive, high anxiety, or just do not like it) there is little done. Dogs that are very aggressive and continually cause fights are allowed to keep coming back and we are discouraged from telling the owners about any issues (or that their pet is not a good fit or does not enjoy it) unless in extreme cases because of, I'm assuming, loss of sales. As an associate we are definitely overworked and underpaid for the amount and type of work we do. As well as their doesn't seem to be enough training for those that are put into camp. A lot of the associates are not experienced in dog behavioural assessment and majority of us are not trained in pet first aid. While it was a good experience and most of the staff are friendly and knowledgeable, I think petsmart should stick to being exclusively a retail store.
Busy and dynamic work place, very lots of varity
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BCJanuary 27, 2014
A typical work day within the salon, started with checking that all equipment is in good working order and that all the supplies necessary to complete each appointment were available. It is also important review the appointment schedule to make sure each dog has the appropraite time and stuff member. Throughtout the day I would be dealing with checking in appointments, insuring I understood what was required from both Pet Parent and dog. Completing the groom, taking into consideration, the needs of the dog, health and safety requirements and the needs of the owner. I would also book in apppointments over the phone and in person. Answering customers questions in regards to brushes, nail trimmer and clipper was also an important part of my possistion. It was necessary to establish a good working relationship with all team members to ensure that the levels of stress were keep to a minimum, the atmosphere is the salon has a direct effect on the behavour and welbeing of the dogs. The most challenging part of the role is balancing all the demards and interuptions and completing the groom within the agreed time. Meeting a well loved and behaved dog that belonged to a caring owner was the highlight of the day.
Pros
physical position woriking the animals
Cons
shift work that changed weekly
Fun workplace with dedicated workers
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, OnMay 27, 2015
A typical day at work starts differently depending on what area you're working in. As a pet care associate, I start my day by feeding all the animals in the store and checking in on any sick animals in the back. This can include giving medication. Depending on the day, I might have to do a full clean (Cleaning the entire section for certain animals: Reptiles, birds, small animals, etc.) This takes about 2 hours and is usually the responsibility of one associate. I would then spend the rest of the day helping customers with any questions and providing them with any materials they would need to own a pet and occasionally selling said pet to them. Upon closing, it's very similar to opening just without the feeding process. Checking on all animals once again, making sure health is optimal and giving any medications needed.

I've learned quite a bit about animals while working at this location, enough to help customers find the perfect animal for their home life and time management.

My co-workers are amazingly fun people to be around.

The hardest part of the job is having someone come in with a very strong idea of what they want and realizing it's not the best choice for them, but being unable to convince them otherwise.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Short shifts
Terrible Management!!
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 4, 2015
Job itself is not bad, for the most part the dogs that come into the salon are very sweet. the job is not as glamorous as people think! friends always think groomers play with dogs all day, but you need a strong stomach to deal with half of the stuff you see come through the salon doors. also, be prepared to deal with the mean dogs too. management will tell you when you get hired that you have the right to send any dog home you feel unsafe grooming, then when the time comes they pressure you to complete the groom anyways. management is all money hungry, and our own store manager seems clueless when it comes to dog safety policies, yet he spends all his time worrying about the stores satisfaction ratings and sales plans. if you have any type of problem, don't expect help from your managers. they seem to promote the most unqualified people, leading to a management team that is disorganized and all over the place! also, say goodbye to your weekends (all of them!!) while you are prepared to work here. also, the manager turn over rate is astounding. we had an awesome store manager when i was hired and then they transferred him. on a final note, can i mention that they apparently want to start doing salon schedules a YEAR in advance
Unfortunate Experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONDecember 3, 2013
At work as a cashier I would help customers find products, answer questions, answer the phone, and complete transactions. I learned how to operate a cash register and a lot of helpful information for pet help and care.
Management was not well. Aside from being switched often, many are rude and childlike, talking about employees and fellow staff behind their back to employees and customers. They rarely would help staff, aside from a select few, and were generally lazy and rude.
Most of my coworkers got a long, however as mostly only females are hired, there was a lot of drama that management did not handle well. It was more like high school again.
The hardest part of the job was sucking up what you know is right and doing as you're told, because management really just doesn't care.
However, happy customers and adorable animals always could make a day get better.
Pros
customers are happy and the animals are always a great benefit to be around!
Cons
management needs sensitivity training and needs to hire a range of cultures.
A structured workplace that recognizes commitment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
There are three main aspects about working as a PetSmart associate, greeting and helping costumers in any way possible, working the till, and keeping shelves stocked.While working there I learned storage and organizational techniques, how to face, how to safely operate a forklift, how to operate the cash register, as well as a great deal to do with pet supplies, especially food. In terms of management, the first half of the time I worked here they ran the store like a well-oiled machine whereas the second half they were confused and disorganized. The people I worked with were almost always fun and friendly, many having pets themselves.The hardest part of the job was moving large amount of food and cat litter onto the shelves before the store opened. The thing I enjoyed the most about working here was meeting people and the pets they brought into the store.
Pros
interaction with the animals that come into the store.
Cons
cleaning up animal waste, minimal training.
P-------
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I enjoy my day at P-------. My day starts by doing some paper work that includes things like negative inventory, things to be written off or returned. I then assign tasks to other associates to do daily opening tasks like feeding the animals and sweeping. I then would count tills and the cash float and then open the tills so that they are ready for when the store opens. I have a very good relationship with my fellow co-workers. We all work together as a team and always know how to get things done while having a good time. The most enjoyable part of petsmart is when customers come in with their dogs and puppies looking to get something new. The dogs are always so joyful. The hardest part of being a supervisor at petsmart is having to deal with unsatisfied customers. Although, over time I have learned how to find a happy medium with the customer with both parties leaving the conversation happy and content.
An entertaining and rewarding experience with great staff and opportunity
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 29, 2015
I held this job for about 2 months while I studying abroad in Canada. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did, and it was unfortunate that I had to leave as soon as I did due to personal reasons. I loved being able to share my pet knowledge with customers, and often times it made people very happy that I took a little extra time to explain to them the differences between certain products. I really enjoyed the staff, as they made it very easy to learn on the job. A typical day included:

Counting register
Handling cash
Handling returns and exchanges
Promoting Pet Perks rewards card
Lifting objects of at least 25 pounds
Stocking shelves
Facing merchandise
Displaying products in a creative/fun manner
Emptying trash
Pros
great staff, friendly management, great pay, flexible hours
Cons
short lunch breaks
Very fun and fast paced environment. No two days are ever the same
Cashier/Salon/Pet Care/Customer Service associate, (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 1, 2014
I don't have a typical day at work because I've had the opportunity to work in multiple departments including the grooming salon, at the cash register, in pet care and in customer service. I get to work with both animals and people and I have fun every time I clock in for my shift.

The hardest part of my job is when I cannot help a customer (or pet) with problems they face, health or otherwise. I love making relationships and connections with people and I dislike when I cannot fulfill their needs.

In terms of staff, I work with a group of friendly, knowledge people including managers and other associates. The environment allowed for free communication between all the staff and problems were generally addressed quickly.
Pros
cute animals every day
Cons
sometimes strenuous activity
A productive and fun workplace that recognizes commitment and hard work
Presentation Manager (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONApril 15, 2013
There are three essential parts to working as a PetSmart associate:

1) greeting and helping costumers in any way possible
2) educating a pet parent
3) helping a customer find what they need and leave satisfied

It is a work environment that allows you to express your love for animals and work hand in hand with them as they visit the store daily. My knowledge in pet food, pet management, and care of all animals as increased. The people I work with are almost always fun and friendly, many having pets themselves.The hardest part of the job is that it can be very physically demanding, but the best part of the job is making someone leave the store with a smile.
Pros
a family like culture
Cons
a large work load with sharp deadlines
Didn't make it past training
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, OntarioJuly 26, 2015
I was so excited to get this job, even though I was leaving something else that was paying better. I got hired and immediately after I got hired store management changed. I liked both managers and assistant managers I met. I had to do testing on the computer before I could go on the floor. I went in twice to do this and both times the program froze and they sent me home. I was told I would get a call when the program was working correctly again.. apparently it was a store wide issue. Two weeks came and went and I didn't receive any phone calls. I called the store and they said it wasn't up and running yet. I found another job and was able to start that before they got the program up and running. Waste of time. Now I don't even go here to shop.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Outdated computer programs.
Conscientious towards environment and animal rights
Petcare Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONOctober 1, 2012
A day of work involves a lot of customer service. In-between that is chatting with the other employees and playing with the animals. I have learned so much about animal care as well as how to communicate with people, even the not-so-nice ones. My managers for the most part were nice, although sometimes a little overbearing. My co-workers were awesome, there wasn't anyone I really disliked we all got along great. I think the hardest part of the job was probably dealing with customers who refused to listen or were not pleasant. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching people about animals and helping them out with their pets.
Pros
fun enviroment
Cons
didn't get to work as much as i would have liked to
A fun job that always kept you busy
Pet Product Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 21, 2014
My day of work would usually consist of stocking the shelves, make sure anything that wasn't on the shelves got stocked if we had it in stock. Helped the customers find what they needed and if they needed help carrying the time out would do that for them. The days were hard working, but my co-workers made it a fun time to be at work. Management was always busy dealing with orders coming in, but would also help us out if we needed it. Did their best to make sure we had what we needed to make the store run as smoothly as possible. Hardest part of the job would be when we didn't have what people wanted and not being able to satisfy their needs
Pros
always something to do, great people to work with
Cons
not being able to please everyone
Fantastic culture, always a happy place to be.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 2, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed my employment. Positive colleagues and positive customers MOST of the time. Mind you, it IS retail, there are good days and bad.. Recent sale of company makes for MASS changes to structure. Minimum wage to start. Management was good, sometimes lacking adequate communication, not only among themselves, but with the entire team. All around good place though. Lots of contests, engagement, I've personally won a few times. Unfortunately hours are always short, and on hand staff is always a bare minimum, one in small animals, one on cash, one or two managers. Making it hard to help customers all the time.
Pros
Puppies
Cons
Minimum wage, inconsistent schedule, lack of communication
More words but less action.
Pet Products Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 13, 2014
An excellent work place will be a place where u feel at home and work with people who love your presence. But the structure of a firm where your voice is not heard, no love and communication exists, there is no motivation to work and no free growth as expressed by the firm, such establishment is not the perfect working environment.
Co-workers do not understand and speak with each other, the management act as dictators while what is promised is not offered such as possibility of growth. The hardest part of the job is performing your task and that of others but yet, still being criticized and unappreciated.
Pros
none.
Cons
you are on your own and can be kicked out any time if your voice your concerns.
Just a real mess
Salon Bather, Cashier, Pet Care (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AlbertaNovember 5, 2014
Policies and Procedures are continually preached at you, however, rarely adhered to. Qualified employees are given menial tasks, while inexperienced people are promoted. The only time any work gets done, and the store looks presentable is when the District Manager comes for a visit. Animals aren't looked after, and fish and reptiles are continually sick or dying due to new employees being put into Pet Care with no experience and/or training whatsoever. Store is under-stocked and filthy. Sales are the primary focus, not the animals. Employee turn-around is incredible, and no one seems to stay employed there for long.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
no training, due to no one knowing what they're doing
Fun environment with genuine people who loves pets
SUPPORT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 11, 2012
I enjoy being among other people who truly loves animals. There are always interesting things going on in the store with a lot of customers and pets.
I am responsible for opening and closing the store a few days a week. This includes making sure the safe is balanced, counting the tills and making deposits, helping out on the floor and take responsibility for customers and associates. During openings I make sure the store is ready for the day, inventory, reports and other things and of course always looking out for the safety and health of our pets in the store.
Customer service is a major part of my job, answering questions and concerns and taking phone calls.
Love the job
Petcare Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 15, 2012
Love the job but not the upper management. Co-workers were great to work with but sometimes certain managers are not fair and can be rude often. When I first started there it was the best job I have ever had and being promoted 3 times was great, but then my manager went to another store and our store was being run by a manager that does not seem to care about the staff or the animals which is very serious to me!!
BUT, not all stores are like this!!! Petsmart still is a great company to work for but not specific managers.
Pros
good benefits, working with animals and customers
Cons
short staffed so you have to do more work, don't get paid enough for the responsibilities (even as a manager)