PetSmart Employee Reviews for Pet Groomer

No room to grow into a higher up position, or benefits.
Pet care/groomer (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta4 February 2018
The management promise ungiveable things.(hours, benefits, job security)
Management favours others and don't train staff properly.
Not enough training in any department.
Management is guilty of favouritism and unfairness.
I'd given 2 years of my life to this job and I'd never go back.
Pros
The discount on products.
Cons
Management, low hours, no benefits.
Do not work in the north london location
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  London, ON31 January 2018
Absolute disgusting behaviour of most staff and complete disgusting behaviour of their manager. So much harassment and mistreatment it's sickening. Even the store manager doesnt care at all if you're being bullied, harassed, or mistreated. It's All about the money. You can even yell at your co-workers and tell someone to go **** themselves infront of the salon and customers and not get written up, just make sure you're pulling in that money, and you can treat anyone any way you want there!
Pros
Dogs and petparents
Cons
Absolutely none
not good
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, ON23 January 2018
treated animals like number. always had us rush through grooms which resulted in employees being hurt then getting in trouble because we weren't being "safe"
fast paced setting
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 January 2018
fast paced work place, a bit chaotic a times. to many dogs in a day for a groomer to safely Do, while giving the quality and care that pet owners expect.
Pros
free grooming for your dog
Cons
overworked
Terrible Management
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 November 2017
7 years ago, when I first started at PetSmart, it was a great place to work. Over the last few years, with all the changes to the company, it has become a nightmare. The management no longer seems to care about employees, and in some cases, even what is best for the animals in our care. All they care about is money, and the environment/ workplace culture definitely reflects that.
Fun job
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 November 2017
The team of groomers got along well. The pay is not bad. Commission every dog groomed you get 50%. No real raised, though. Overall this company is good to work.
Grooming was great, toxic environment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 June 2017
Every Salon experience is going to be different. I happened to be in a Salon where I felt the dogs were not cared for but just seen as an income opportunity. Some very talented groomers but management only saw the dogs and dollars and not family members. Management also pushed groomers past the point where we felt the grooms were getting unsafe for the dogs.
Pros
Working with dogs
Cons
long hours with no breaks, careless leadership
Terrible management
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB31 May 2017
Management was terrible, as well as petty. Constantly going behind employees backs and not listening to scheduleing requests, was never enough staff scheduled.
Great Trade to have
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 April 2017
I enjoy working at PetSmart and my time there as a Pet Stylist has been very educational and enjoyable.

The company offers a lot for its employees in terms of benefits for both full time and part time staff.
Not a good place to work
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2017
As a Groomer you are required to work long hours and are discouraged to take your lunch break or other breaks. you end up working 10 hours a day, and only being paid your 8 hour day.
You are always over booked and under staffed, the customers yell at you because either the grooms are rushed and the dogs groom is a hack job or you take to long with the dog and are late in returning the dog to the client.
the managers do not normally care for the employees health or safety and normally do not have the groomers back in an argument with the customer.
if you get injured by a dog it is your fault normally and you are not given enough time off to heal.
Cons
very long work hours, company does not care for the employees
Productive and fast paste environment
DOG GROOMER TRAINEE (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB23 March 2017
I enjoyed working there, they would just need to work more like a team when closing the salon at night instead of relying on one person to do it all. Same with walk-in nail trims.

At times I felt like I was being treated like the Cinderella of the place... Salaries was minimum salary, I don't think it was enough for all the work I was doing.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
One person to do it all
Great career opportunity
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2017
Pet Smart gave me a great opportunity, I was trained and became certified as a dog groomer. This job was great with a good chance for job growth. The only downfall is work place drama.
Pros
They help you with a career
Cons
Drama
Learned the beginning of dog grooming
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON24 November 2016
Petsmart was a stepping stone into the grooming world. I learned the basics from their grooming academy however anything beyond that was left up to myself to learn by watching other groomers I worked with. Luckily the other groomers were eager to allow me to watch and learn from them.
We had to conform to the way Petsmart wanted things done for groomers and something it would be difficult to obtain their ideal standards such as grooming as many dogs that were booked and still have time to take a lunch break. Pleasing customers was always number 1.
I enjoyed learning everything I did and had some great co-workers along the way.
Pros
stepping stone to grooming world
Cons
Having bosses that didn't understand grooming
busy working place
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON2 November 2016
working all kinds of working house such as; 7am-10pm.
there are all kinds of co-workers such as part time and full time.
learning all the time. with customer services skills.
Fun work environment, friendly staff
Assist groomers (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB3 October 2016
Day's start by checking dogs in making sure they are healthy and, making sure we know what needs to be done with them. The hardest part of the job would probably be making sure the dogs are not endangering themselves or others around them. The best part is would be when the pet parent picks the dog up they are so happy and thankful, makes you feel like you did a good job.
Pros
Learning how to work with the animals.
Cons
Not enough pay.
fun and frendly
Groomers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 September 2016
Had a wonderful experience working with this company the employees are all super friendly and there to help if you need it always working together to make it a safe and fun work environment
Really bad and stressfull
Pet Stylist, Accredited Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  British Columbia5 September 2016
They don't take care of dogs or employees. Very stressful. Policies are NOT followed. Management doesn't care or do anything. Human resources doesn't do anything but talk to the manager. Nothing ever gets resolved. So much stress. Corruption
Pros
Cons
All of it
cheap company /horrible pay/ bad managment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  ontario canada26 August 2016
I worked at Pertmart for 5 years.. they give little to no raises, my manager would usually find a way to not give you a raise. for instance you must get 3/5 rating to get a raise, no one will ever give you a 5 I was told that in person by management due to fact that the raise would be to much. So I was given a 3 by my direct manager and the store manager changed it to a 2.9 which means no raise for me. They push sales on you for the most ridiculous things, I mean how hard Is it to sell hair extensions for dogs ?? ( seriously?) . I was making the same amount per hour at 5 years as people who were just hired, minimum wage would go up and then ours would just stay the same.

our Christmas parties were in the center of the store, I'm which we had to bringo our own food to. I'm sure a multi million dollar company cant even afford to buy some food for staff. All you're equipment that you purchase also has to be maintained and sharpened out of your pocket even though most to all the money for grooms Is going to the company.

managers try to over run you with dogs, not caring that you havnt had a single break in 8 hours just as long as you are making the quota so they can get their big bonus at the end of the year ( but you doing all the hard work? not so much )

oh and prepare to have some war wounds, can be a dangerous job at times with some poorly behaved pets!

I could go on. basically they don't care about staff in the least bit. which is ultimately why I quit.
Pros
Cons
terrible pay/ bad managment / dont care about staff / no perks
Fun, original workplace
Pet Care Specialist, pet stylist (Former Employee) –  Windsor ontario20 July 2016
My time at Petsmart was great! I learned a lot of new skills and enjoyed the staff. I had the opportunity to grow within the company as a bather, pet care associate, cashier, core associate and pet stylist. I would recommend this workplace.
Pros
Fun place to work, outgoing staff, good learning opportunities
Cons
Fast pased job with lots of furry friends
Pet Care Associate, Cashier, Groomer, Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 July 2016
As I spent lots of time in different departments, I spent the most time taking care of the animals and assisting customers with purchases. I learned a lot about caring for animals, and even more with dog and cat dietary needs. It was very easy to adjust with oher coworkers because we were all animal lovers and had their best intrest at heart. The absolute best part of the job was to be able to help customers fix their pets problems by finding appropriate products and fod to fit their needs. It was the best feeling when they would come back later and look for you and tell you the improvments their pets made after using some helpful products. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance multiple customers at a time when working in the back with the fish and insects.
Pros
Being surrounded by animals
Cons
Not being able to work more hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K