PetSmart Employee Reviews for Cashier

Great place to work if you love animals
PetCare Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  calgary alberta21 November 2017
great place to work if you love animals! friendly and understanding coworkers. i learnt a lot about customer service and the right way to treat and care for customers.
great place to work
Cashier / Petcare Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 October 2017
Love working at petsmart, but the pay is horrible especially for supporting a family.
Management tends to punish people with no hours if you book any days off
Hated it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  london on16 August 2017
Do not recommend working here. Impolite staff, impolite customers, no advancement, no training in different departments despite multiple requests and promises.
Pros
Cons
long
Ok place, too much staff and management rotation
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2017
too much staff and management rotation, otherwise it is fine. Learned the basics of pet care (rodents, fish, reptiles). Management is mostly nice. Nice to work with pets.
fun environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC13 June 2017
fun place to work at if you love dogs and other small animals. i typical day for a cashier is near the cash register all day. i learned to help customers with the troubles they may have finding products.
Poor management
Core/Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 May 2017
Working at petsmart was fun until new management took over. I personally had to file three complaints against a manager who threatened me numerous times, but I still had to continue to work under her for two months until they finally let her go. They don't care about their employees, only about making money. I was one of their best employees but I was forced to leave when things got unbearable. Do not work here.
Fun Coworkers but Bad Environment Overall
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC30 March 2017
You'll start off at minimum wage and will only get a small raise once a year. Even then, you have to score high enough on their evaluation system. And if you do, you'll get a few pennies. There's little loyalty towards employees who stick around so most simply don't. Just about everyone who works there felt the same so it was fun to complain in the break room. Plus they hire so many people that sometimes you'll get 10 or less hours a week.

The biggest perk is definitely the animals. Though be prepared to clean up a few messes caused by them. If it wasn't for the animals this would probably be considered one of the worst places to work.
Pros
Dogs are cute and coworkers are good people
Cons
Little pay, few hours, no loyalty to employees.
Petsmart
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC22 March 2017
I overall had a very great experience and loved the atmosphere. I felt very accepted by the management. I'm aiming for earlier hours than night shifts!
Enjoyed working with the live animals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gateway Park Drive Kitchener23 December 2016
I never had a typical day at Pet Smart. I did everything from cleaning, pricing, scheduling, empty shelf audits, shipping, receiving. cash. Really any thing that I was able to learn I did. The upper management was good. My co-workers were younger but always willing to learn. The hardest part of my job was trying to always stay on top of rotating products. Always enjoyed seeing the customers with their pets.
Pros
Live pets
Cons
Ratation of the products
Amazing Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON21 September 2016
Petsmart was an amazing company to have worked at. I really loved the managers and staff as well as the customers. I had a blast working there and I will always feel like it is family.

Want to know more about PetSmart?

Ask a question
I really enjoyed working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 June 2016
A typical day for me was working as a cashier, helping to stock shelves and collecting donations for the local SPCA. I learned all my cashiering skills from this job and a lot of my people skills as well. My management was very organized and reliable in terms of giving me hours and my co-workers were easy to get along with. There weren't many hard parts about my job, I struggled at first with cashiering but managed to pick it up easier than I thought I would. I really enjoyed this job, if it weren't for school (I am graduated now) I would still be working there.
Not bad but not great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON28 April 2016
The overall environment was good, past-paced, never without something to do and a lot of opportunities to get ahead. However, the management allowed certain employees to slack and behave completely inappropriately because they hired friends. There was a lot of drama too. A decent place as a whole.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Management, drama
Busy, high traffic workplace, fast day, great people.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 April 2016
PetSmart is a great place to work, you're always busy, constantly on the move. Interacting with customers is a must, no matter what part of the store you work in. It's a great environment, as long as you're good with animals and pet parents.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON28 March 2016
PetSmart was an amazing place to work, they understand personal things and give you the time off that you need to deal with those things.
Pros
staff
Cons
hours
fun environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC18 March 2016
PetSmart is a great place to work. I love seeing all the dogs and other pets come in the store because it always puts a smile on my face.
Pros
seeing dogs everday
Fun place to work
Cashier and Core Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 June 2015
There were too many managers in such a short amount of time (8 months). There was too much change, and it was too hard to adjust to. The customers were great though. If only management treated me fairly and didn't lie to my face multiple times about advancing with the company. After several meetings with the store manager in hopes to advance in the company, 3 years later nothing had happened. They led me on and kept my hopes up, and weren't even disappointed that I resigned.
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Everything about the company and how they manage employees
amazing staff and the customers were awesome
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS6 June 2015
the best part of my day was getting to see the variety of dogs, the staff were awesome like a family, for the most part the management was fair. I learned a lot about animal health and the benefits of high quality foods.
Pros
caring environment, stable hours
Cons
seeing animals get treated wrong by owners
Great Environment with lot of opportunity for advancement!
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL30 April 2015
Great part-time job.
Many departments to work in (Cash, Stock, Pet Care, Management) and ability to cross-train!
I was in every department as I was needed.
Somedays you felt run off your head but that made the shift go by faster.
Cleaning up after other peoples dogs is not fun but cuddling puppies makes up for it.
Hours were flexible and great with working around my school schedule.
Pros
Puppies, Hours, Staff
Cons
Cleaning up after animals
pet care
Pet Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  edmonton ab28 February 2015
my typical day was working with and cleaning the animals habitats, had to be knowledgeable about what that animal requires to strive
was okay
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 February 2015
days at work were long, co-workers were amazing, manager was horrible, hardest part of the job is when there were no customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.