Petro Canada Employee Reviews

Not terrible with the right staff
Gas Station Attendant, Night Shift (Former Employee) –  Cambridge (Hespeler), OntarioOctober 7, 2014
Some people don't like to do their jobs, and that makes others' jobs difficult. My only real complaint about working here was a few questionable hires. Constantly late, try to leave when you get there early, when certain people were working the day/afternoon shift I knew the place would be trashed.
That is NOT all the staff.

Management is pretty good.
They're weird and strict about some of the strangest things but are also really cool about a lot of stuff.
Really pushed making "quotas" on in store deals and getting sign-ups for petro-points. Not really a big deal or difficult; someone looking through candy for awhile recommend a 2-for deal, looking at drinks recommend the current energy drink sale, etc...

Tried to tell employees they would be held responsible for drive-offs and asked us to sign an agreement. That isn't legal, by the way. A few of us didn't sign it and management accepted their mistake and scratched that plan.

I worked a set schedule so this didn't effect me, but other employees told me they are really good for schedule adjustments and stuff when they are needed.

I called in sick once - I was sick all evening, and even spoke with my manager before I left that there was a high probability I would be calling in sick. They will try to act like you have no choice. Explain to them how little choice they have, no biggie.
Shift was covered eventually. I guess nobody wants to work nights.

Oddly enough, I can't count how many times I was called in to work at various locations. There was ALWAYS perks of going in, such as a gift card for Petro-Canada.

They do not
  more... pay overtime; you agree to this when you are hired.

One time I was called in on a holiday at a location that was not my regular one, that has a separate payroll. I was paid my Holiday pay from my main location, time and a half at the working location, and was given a $50 Petro gift card, AND they paid my cab for coming in on a holiday.

I am not saying to expect a bunch of free stuff, what I'm saying is that YOU ARE REWARDED FOR GOING THE EXTRA MILE, ALWAYS.
Management is REALLY GOOD for rewarding hard work.

Free coffee, occasional slushie, occasionally seasonal products being taken off the shelf were allowed to be taken home. One person a day was allowed a free carwash, as it has to be tested.

I live in Galt and the location is in Hespeler. I was working nights. The bus routes changed and made my 10 hour shift turn into around 14.5 hours with commute. I had to quit, as this was just to much. Shortening the shift would have done no good, as I was already catching the last and first bus (waiting for over an hour in the mornings).
I would certainly work here again, or at any of the owners' other locations.
Pros
free coffee, hard work rewarded and recognized, good scheduleing
Cons
a few questionable hires, occasional silly memo
Working on the weekends gave me the weekdays to go to college.
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJanuary 14, 2013
Openning the store at 7 in the morning and counting the cash and putting the fire exstinguishers out beside the pumps. During the winter salt the areas around the pumps and leading to the enterances. I would then greet customers as they entered the store and when they approached the counter. I worked alone so I had to be alert at all times for theives and any issues that may arise. At slow times if the floors were dirty I would mop, and when the coolers were running low I would run to the back grab a case of pop/water or what ever was needed and fill the coolers form the front so I could keep an eye on the store. At 2:30 the counting of the lotto tickets and changing shift for my co-workers that were coming in at 3 in the afternoon.

During this time with Petro I was going to NBCC Saint John and I learned alot at the store as well. Repetition is not always a bad thing, I do like to do different things everyday, but I founf the more I do something the quicker I get at it and I want to learn more to branch out when the time is right.

Honestly my manager was not around that much, there would be notes on the till in the morning from the night shift telling me to do this or that. I worked mostly the weekends because I was going to school during the week, and the manager I was told only came on Tuesdays.

My fellow clerks were friendly to me and one another, like any workplace there were issues with this or that but nothing to serious that anyone got repremanded for. Again I worked by myself so I was on good terms with all my co-workers.

I caught on fairly quik to the computer system
  more... and any new changes that arised but the hardest part of the job was having no breaks. Working by myself for 8 plus hours was alittle difficult when nature calls.

Seeing new people everyday, some faces were regulars that I built a repour with them had to be the best part of the job, a sence of community.
Pros
worked with my schedule.
Cons
no scheduled breaks
PetroCanada is a productive place to learn customer service skills because we serve 500-1000 customers daily who belong to different diversities.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCFebruary 7, 2013
My work starts mostly in the evenings. My gas station is located in residential area. It will be very busy in the evenings. I meet different people daily. Since they head back to home from work, usually they will be very tired. I always try them to cheer them up. I feel very happy while doing my job because I get chance to make them happy in which I see my happiness.
In this job I have learned that Customer service plays a key role in gaining new customers as well as retaining old customers.
Management is good and supportive in the place I work. They help us when we are in real troubles.
Co-workers are cooperative and we enjoy our time working with each other.
There is no such thing like hardest part because as you get familiar to the job work, it becomes easy to you to handle the pressure at work. Since you do the same kind of work daily, you should be the one who enjoys every moment of doing that routine kind of work daily.
Most enjoyable part of my job is meeting different people with different cultural backgrounds and knowing about their cultures.
Pros
manager is helpful, co-workers are very kind.
Cons
get strained when it is very busy during the price changes of gas.
Decent for entry level, but I worked nightshift
Gas Sales Attendant, Night Shift (Current Employee) –  Ottawa ONAugust 30, 2012
The demands of being a Gas Sales Attendant are much more than many would expect. Many believe that it is a simple day at work standing behind a cash for your eight hour shift. It is much more than that. You are assigned a variety of duties that keep you busy for the majority of your shift. Also, since Gas is something that the majority of the population demands, and the sharp increases in gas prices, be prepared to handle complaints about being overpaid and responsible for fuel price increases. Theft is also a concern, from people requesting loans for cigarettes, to people stealing gas by not paying it is a job that requires you to be rather attentive. I worked night shift so theft was a low concern, as I handled no more than 4 customers in the store at once. People are also not in a hurry, so they are open to a chat and I know many of my regulars by first name. Like many entry level positions, the pay is enough to keep you living, and the work is something you do not need to be too bright to do. I would recommend this job to many people, especially night shift as it much more stress-free than the afternoon shifts I used to work.
Pros
free coffee, cappuchinoes and slushies
Cons
laws state that one man operations do not require breaks or paid lunch.
Business job, must be 100% all the time.
Gas Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  St thomas ontarioOctober 15, 2013
Learned how to be a polite well mannered person, and work in extremely busy conditions at a fast pace with money.Must be very good at math and quick at adding and subtracting because customers are never patient. The hardest part of the job is keeping an eye on all 600+ people that come into the store through out the shift and make sure nothing gets stolen.
the worst part of the job is Job security.. you can be fired in a heart beat just for doing 1 incorrect thing even though your one of the top employees who does everything for the company. They're just a business and they do not care much about people they only care about making a profit. Also another bad part is always having to deal with rude customers when you have no control over the situation. such as gas price if the gas price is 136.9 customers tend to blame the gas attendant for raising the prices when the gas attendant has no control over the price, but they take all the blame for it. working at a gas station isn't a great place to work but it is a good place it can be fun sometimes but at other times extremely overwhelming and stressful.
Pros
work around your schedule sometimes...
Cons
tying to handle rude customers you must be a people person to be really good at this job.
Fun and Pleasant environment
GUEST SERVICE ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 19, 2015
Guest Service Attendant is a responsible job to deliver satisfactory service to the patrons. I really like this job however its not my professional job as because it gives me to interact with new people and help them by providing good service. I have experience in working morning, evening and night shifts so I have been meeting different people working in different sectors and can have small talks with them. The most important thing which we can gain from this job is to behave polite and gently manner. We learn how to deal with a situation and handle people with different attitudes and moods. I learn different aspects of the business and service like providing services like Gas, cigarette, lotteries, food, beverages etc. and money transactions, documentations. The management and the co workers are very helpful and its a nice atmosphere to work with them and they are always considering our suggestions also. The hardest part of the job is the safety, while working during night shifts because of some crazy people.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
No public holidays
busy work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 20, 2014
Working at the gas station is pretty much stressed out and if you the only one working by yourself. Working alone, busy place, not having a break time and plus you will confront the customers that having a bad day. It will lead you to have a bad day too. You should know how be patient , know how to handle customers and control the self-esteem that's how you will handle the customer services. The gas station I worked with just only one person working in the morning one person in the night shift. My co-worker i don't have any problems with them because they are motivated and hard working people. They will hep you to due to any problems and most important is to respect people. The hardest part of the job is how to handle customers. Customers is really hard to handle with, when you don't even know how to handle the pressure it will get to you. For me there is 3 types how to handle the customer. Patients, control your self-esteem and most important is to always great them with smile. The most enjoyable part of my job is somehow its my pleasure to make my customers happy and appreciated.
Cons
9 hours
Fun working environment and meeting new people everyday.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ONJanuary 31, 2013
During my shifts at Petro Canada it was always exciting meeting new people, interacting with other employees and new/recurring customers. I always had new tasks and responsibilities in being a supervisor/manager.
I learned a lot during my three and a half years with Petro Canada. I learned how to do all the computer work that has to be done before open and after close. I learned how to be a leader for the other employees I worked with. I learned how to handle large amounts of cash and do bank deposits.
My co-workers were always respectable and co-operative during the shifts I worked with them.
The most enjoyable part of my days working with Petro Canada was always seeing familiar faces coming back each week. I also enjoyed being complimented by customers and my manager for the hard work , polite and outgoing attitude I have.
Pros
growing relationship's with customers and employees.
Cons
working seven days a week some weeks. (not every week)
Work environment that help you learn to be organized, and responsible.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 9, 2012
A typical day of work starts with setting and checking everything that is going to be needed during the shift. Counting money on the till, lottery etc. After that, once the shift actually starts I keep constant contact with the customers, around 400 per shift. During that time, it is important to provide an excellent customer service to all the customer that arrive to the store, keep the store on perfect conditions for the customers (Clean, all merchandise organized and filled up), and accurate details of all the monetary transactions. Many of the shifts are worked by only one person, so it is the responsibility of that person to fulfill with all requirements mentioned above. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it actually let you create some kind of connection with many regular costumer that goes beyond the customer/employer relation; this also helps to make every shift more enjoyable.
It's a great job. You are self employed.
RETAIL LICENSEE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2013
• As a Retail Licensee, sequentially operated a series of three Petro Canada gas stations in Calgary (including the flagship station on 36th and Memorial Drive), with a total sales of more than $12 million per year, which was consistently above the company’s budget and expectations.
• Supervised day-to-day operations of the station and the convenience store. Administered budgets, authorized financial transactions, monitored product inventories. Wrote and authorized reports to head office.
• Oversaw the other Petro Canada businesses on the premises, including the A&W restaurant, the flower shop and the liquor store. Determined staffing requirements; hired, trained and coached staff.
• Monitored the inside and outside of the building, ensuring that Petro Canada’s standards were being met and pass the surprise monthly inspections.
• Dealt with customer interactions and recommendations.
Pros
you are self employed.
productive work and new challenges
Fuel transport driver (Current Employee) –  FORTMCMURRAY ALBERTAJune 22, 2014
AT TYPICAL DAY IS STARTING AT 4:30AM. I GET MY PREP FUEL LIST AND GO LOAD UP MY FUEL. I MAKE MY WAY UP TO C.N.R.L AND MANAGE THE SITE ON MY OWN. I LOOK AFTER THE FUELING STATION AND DELIVERY TO SCHEDUAL CUSTOMERS IN WHICH I MAINTAIN ON MY OWN. I LEARNED HOW TO MAINTAIN A SAFE WORK AREA, SITE REGULATION, CUSTOMER SERVICE, SCHEDUALING, ALSO MAINTAIN A SAFE WORK AREA DOING MAINTENCE ON FUEL TRUCKS, AND SURROUNDING FUELING STATION.MANAGEMENT IS HELPFUL IN ANY WAYS WHEN NEEDING SUPPLYS,DEALING WITH CUSTOMERS WHO ARE HARD TO HANDLE AND SENDING UP A PERSONAL TO FIX WHAT I CANT.MY TEAM IS GREAT, WE WORK TOGETHER TO GET THINGS DONE AND ARE THERE TO HELP EACH OTHER OUT. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF MY JOB IS DEALING WITH CUSTOMERS AND GETTING TO KNOW NEW PEOPLE AND DOING MY JOB.
Pros
getting supplied uniforms and ppe thats needed to do my job.
Cons
not paid for vaction.no vacation pay.having a family and no vacation pay is hard.
customer service
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pickering, TorontoJanuary 2, 2014
As the job is related to customer services, the customers has different mind set and demands when they visit. according to different customers i am facilitating them and provide enough satisfaction.

During the service I learned that customer satisfaction is the key for business growth.

Management is very good in terms of providing staff training and also cooperative in job schedule.

All the co workers are cooperative to each other and all employee work as one team.

Robbery during night shifts is the hardest part of this job.

if some one win thousands of dollars in lottery ticket and the words "thanks" getting in reply from the customers is enjoyable part of this job,. that is the customer satisfaction.
Pros
good experience for new immigrants to start their livelihood to accommodate in canadian culture.
Cons
no job satisfaction according to qualification and no carrier growth.
Comfortable and Productive Workplace
Head GSA (Gas Station Attendant) (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 14, 2015
Did open and close counts at the beginning and ending of every shift (tobacco/lottery), cleaned throughout the day, worked on general merchandising. Learned to be more outgoing and engage with people socially and professionally. Management was close and helpful, and the same vise versa, helping with any needs asked of me that were above my responsibilities. Co-workers became friends that were dependable and helpful for as long as I was employed there. Hardest part of the job was not being able to have a customer be totally satisfied with my service. Most enjoyable part of job was seeing how my service could make a difference with peoples lives for the better and how good I got at customer service.
Pros
Very comfortable environment, great staff, friendly customers (regulars)
Cons
Standing on feet for long hours of the day, customer conflicts
productive and fast working enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJanuary 5, 2014
A typical day is pretty easy there is only two people working each shift. We both restock the shelves and make sure everything is clean and organized and stocked up. we constantly half to check the coffee to make sure it is full and hot, mop floors, check the bathroom. At the end of the day we count the lottery and smokes and do a bunch of paper work to make sure everything balances out and make sure nothing is missing. Management is great they are very organized and are always on top of everything the manager always stops by to make sure everything is good and running smoothly. There was nothing I really found hard for me I really enjoyed it there they did a great job training me I never really had any problems. I learned a lot about inventory and how to check orders, ring things trough, check prices, put air in peoples tiers, and many other things.
A day with a petro employee
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mount Forest, ONSeptember 26, 2012
-a typical day at work for me consisted of cleaning, stocking shelves with their product, attending to customers.
- what this job tought me was responsiblity of a store management, customer service and money management.
-the management that was in charge when i was an employee was fantastic, if ever i had a problem I could call my manager directly and he either assist me over the phone or come into the store and assist.
-I was very fortunate with my co-workers we all clicked right off the bat, we all worked well together and as a team
-the hardest part of my job was dealing with ignorant people but over time i just learned to nod, smile and help to the best of my abilitys.
-the most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with all the different people even if it was for 5 mins at a time, I met a lot of good people.
Pros
free coffee and lunch sometimes
Cons
cleaning the bathroom
A lot of experience on providing satisfactory service to client and customer, great chance to meat and deal with variety of customers.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 24, 2015
Maintaining and operating fuel pumps, car wash bays , propane filling and control , provide preventive maintenance to client's vehicle and minor services , provided training to new hire and assist on selection.

Gained great experience on maintaining assorted machinery , customer service and getting along with others, plus a chance to meet a variety of customers and coworkers.

The job was more fun than routine and offered time to participate on social activities with all staff and employees from franchise to the administration.
Pros
social parties, holiday celebration including gift presentation, flexibilty of vacation choices.
Cons
Emergency on call duties and weekend intruptions.
Great first Job.
Cashier/ General (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMarch 25, 2014
It took me several years of job hunting before I was hired. Having a lack of work experience was a real set back. My boss Cam hired me to work along side an elderly man who had been working with the company for over a decade, my first-ad might have been needed in case of an accident. After my elderly co-worker retired I was put on reliable part time while i finished high school. My boss was also very accommodating of my university studies.

I enjoyed the job itself because I got to work with the public and worked well with my co-workers. I also had many regular customers who either needed help because of arthritis due to old age or disabilities. I enjoyed any chance to help people.
Pros
great employers and co-workers.
Cons
many hours working alone. i can work well unsupervised, but i enjoy company.
excellent company to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCMay 2, 2013
I worked at petro for a little while. I would do the mornings and open the store do all my counts and wait on customers while stocking and cleaning the store. My co workers and manager was the best. He was so understanding as at that point i had a tiny child he worked with me around the hours i could do and it was just such a laid back atmosphere. I liked everything about working there. it just came to the point my husband had been working two jobs and he needed me home with our little girl. Working at petro was not hard. It got busy yes but from all the experience i have dealt with waiting on customers was not difficult. I loved meeting new and different types of people, living out in Vancouver you tend to see so many. It was nice!
Pros
excellent atmosphere
Cons
nothing
Productive and busy
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 16, 2014
Typical day was checking safe drops to shifts, getting bank deposit ready, transferring shift work to computer, keeping store clean, helping cashier when it was busy, ordering stock, stocking shelves. One week per month of inventory control. I learned how to run a business. Management and co-workers were excellent. The hardest part was finding the mistake when one is made sometimes and some of the stock that sells better some weeks than others was hard to order for because you never know when it's going to sell. The most enjoyable part of the job was the bookkeeping because that is what I studied in school.
Pros
for me it was doing what i studied in school.
Cons
salary could have been better and could have been some benefits.
Petro Canada
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 6, 2015
A normal Day at work consist: in come to work check emails for any updates, take a look around the lot and store and ensure everything is in working order.

Create a list of things to to-do for the day. such as orders, phone calls, organizing, restocking, cash flow, repairs, schedule staffing, payroll,

take the counter and interact with customers to get feedback of their needs and try to apply to future products or costumer satisfaction approaches. in the future

we always try to keep a good culture at work by doing staff meetings regularly to interact between employers which usually work in different shifts. and make sure we all are a good family and help each other everyday.
Pros
interact with lots of people