Petro-Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Easy. Semi-Enjoyable, Terrible Management
GSA (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJuly 12, 2016
As a GSA my typical day consisted of working the cash register, selling lotto/tobacco and maintaining the gas pumps and car wash. I learned great customer service skills and the ins and outs of good sales techniques. I worked my shifts alone but the other employees were friendly and helpful but the manager had a tendency to ignore his duties or push them all onto us GSAs then take credit for our work. The hardest part the fact that I worked alone so if I ever fell ill or had an emergency it was nearly impossible to get anyone else to cover for me which is totally understandable in a position such as this but definitely difficult at times. The most enjoyable part was all the lovely customers I had met and chatted with regularly that made the day a little brighter and easier to get through
Pros
Great customers, great hours, simple job
Cons
Management, single-person shift work
Learning and co-operative environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 17, 2016
One day, i was working with my day of work accomplice and the card exchange machine quit working. There was a long line of the clients and every one of them were sitting tight enthusiastically for their turn. it took 15-20 minutes to alter the issue. I was taking the money exchanges and attempting to keep the clients quiet. meanwhile, my associate went outside and posted the proper signs. the hardest part of the employment was restarting the machine. The agreeable part was keeping the clients quiet and giving them a fulfilled client administration.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
taking care of outside work when working alone
Fast-phase working environment, enjoyed life-work balance, learned a lot
Guest Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 22, 2015
The branch where I am assigned is the busiest Petro-Canada as others would say so I get to enjoy the fast-phased working environment there. I learned a lot from customer service, product knowledge, to cars and whatnot . I have nothing to say bad about the management especially to my boss because she's been very helpful and understanding to us/ her staffs. My co-workers are mostly Filipinos so it's easy to adapt. The hardest part or the most challenging of the job I would say is arranging the stocks in the c-can. We have to ensure FIFO in all deliveries. The most enjoyable part I would say is cashiering because you get to deal with different kind of people. Getting to know some customers that turned to patrons.
Pros
Incentives every time we passed the audit or got 100% on the mystery shop
Cons
No health benefits
The most enjoyable part of this job was without a doubt the regular customers.
London, Ontario Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 12, 2016
My time working at Petro-Canada gas station taught me the importance of multi-tasking without losing focus on the important things. It was a fast paced job with people coming in and going, questions, demands and more questions but over all the staff members treated each other like family. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a speed to keep up with the customers coming in buying merchandise, the customers paying for gas or having issues with their debit/credit cards, and the customers waiting to play the lotto or buy scratch off tickets. The most enjoyable part of this job was without a doubt the regular customers.
Cons
alone
Customer and Retail Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 11, 2016
It is productive to work with people of other culture and manage a retail store. Working with Petro-Canada gives feeling of belongingness.
Pros
Refreshments
Cons
Geophysicist working in a junior oil company
Senior Geophysicist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, Tripoli, LibyaNovember 19, 2013
Basinwell is a junior oil company focusing on the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin. The company is putting emphasis on producing oil from old fields by re-entry/re-completion, water flooding, and drill step-out wells.

As a geophysicist, my work is to validate the leads /prospects /acquisition proposals from the geologists by using seismic data.

I am also actively involved in the opportunity hunting process by analyzing well, land and engineering data (GeoScout) in combination with seismic data.

The hardest part of this job is to make decision based on limited data (seismic data is expensive here). The most enjoyable part is that your achievements are recognized and appreciated by the management.
Pros
pros: highly motivated
Cons
cons: low salary, job security (junior company)
Friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 18, 2016
I learn a lot about the Canadian workplace culture and customer service.
It has a friendly environment.
Nice and helpful manager.
Nightshifts are not too easy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 17, 2016
Some locations are dead at night, and therefore the shift really becomes a graveyard shift.

Some locations are more fun than others, with regards to the number of customers at past midnight.
Great fast paced
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BCFebruary 10, 2016
Like this place always meeting new people on a daily basis
Gotta love the place you work at.

Great team work always something new to learn here
FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT
Guest Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 2, 2015
I ENJOYED WORKING AT PETRO-CANADA. ALL MY CO-WORKERS WERE VERY SUPPORTIVE AND FRIENDLY. I LEARNED A LOT THERE. THEIR TRAINING MODULES ARE ALSO VERY INFORMATIVE.
Highly resourceful and productive atmosphere
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 9, 2015
Working with highly professional people helped me a lot in improving various skills which are essential for the current competitive world.I just love the team work and initiatives taken by the staffs to execute different tasks, which is brilliant.
Pros
Professionalism
Cons
Highly pressurised environment
Excellent team environment
Corporate Communications Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Petro-Canada had a strong team culture and environment. I had the opportunity to build excellent working relationships.
Pros
excellent benefits and compensation
Easy job, flexible schedule
Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 16, 2013
This job was alright for the first bit, then the customers start to get to you and you lose all faith in humanity. The only reason I stayed with them was because I was going to school at the time and they were very flexible with hours. There was also a very high turn over rate (which is surprising considering how easy the job was) so I was forced to train a lot of people who would end up quitting within a month.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
zero opportunities for advancement, no raises ever
Productive and a fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 4, 2014
A typical day is very relaxing but can also become busy. I've learned how to work in a very fast paced environment, dealing with customers problems and how to properly greet customers.The management at Petro-Canada is very open on what you can do at work, as long as you get all your work done. Since I work night shifts, i am alone but when I see my co-workers they are very friendly and enjoyable. Hardest part of the job is working throughout the night all by myself, it becomes very lonely on slow nights. Most enjoyable part of the job is it goes by fast when I get very busy.
Pros
it can keep you very busy which makes time go by much quicker.
Cons
night shifts, can be very slow, restrictions on cleaning since i work alone.
1st job in Canada
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 14, 2015
It is a good company to work for
but the organization keeps changing

sometimes you are asked to work crazy hours
and you need to go on shift
Working in a great work place
Crew (Former Employee) –  KitchenerMay 6, 2013
When I worked at Perto- Canada a typical day would be to clean around the pumps, change the garbages , make coffee, stocked the shelfs, I have learned that sometimes if the pumps don't work right we get yelled at by the customers and its not our fault. The Management was okay they were never really there when we were working so it was hard when the customers asked to speak with the manger because they were never there, My co-workers work great, they always helped me when I needed it or I would help them when they needed it, the hardest part of the job would have been the lotto because sometimes I get the 2 mixed up. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been working with the people I worked with and just having a part time job and getting out of the house
Great place to work and enjoyed the opportunity.
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 25, 2014
Great place to work and enjoyed the opportunity. Very competitive market to compete and need to demonstrate the benefits of me and the product line.
Good job but need to fulfill my aim that is becoming a successful Network Analyst
Customer service rep, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 28, 2015
• Operate company software, process transactions, correct records, and adjust errors.
• Train new employees.
• Respond to customer requests via phone, mail or in person.
• Prepare and forward preliminary paperwork to manager.
not a safe workplace especially at grave shift (11pm-7am)
Guest Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 26, 2012
working at grave shift is not a busy but a lot of things to do. Since it's my first job to work as a cashier i learned to deal with customers. The management is good as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when I worked alone during grave shift and it is not safe to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you met kind customers
Pros
free coffee
Cons
not safe to work at grave shift. the location is not safe
challenging and fun to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 14, 2015
Very good for starters
Need to deal with different types of customers, which is really a learning experience
Talking and interacting with people is the best part of the job