Petro-Canada Employee Reviews

Very great experience amazing company!
Assistant Store Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ONMarch 23, 2014
First of all, this was my very first actual job and great experience. My dad owns a 8 pump gas station with a convenience store. I was lucky to been given privilege as an assistant manager and also working as a cashier during the nights. It was very tough as I just turned 18 but the pressure my dad and his employees put me had made me succeed. My typical day at work would be to start my shift which is usually in the morning around 8 a.m., I would first go into the office and burn a copy of the daily video recordings and keep it for future use. I would check every employee shift report to make sure daily sales matches with cash count and make sure everything balances. At times it can be a couple dollars off but there is a certain limit of not more than $20 more or less. I would then greet customers and try to have a friendly conversation with them as a tactic to bring in more business. I would make sure the store has a great overall appearance at all times and make sure customers have all their issues sorted out. The management was small but it made things a lot easier to handle. Not a big staff but it was the right size. My co-workers were great and I made sure we all had a friendly understanding. I really enjoyed working here!
Pros
great pay
Cons
very long commute, university conflicts
Fast-phase working environment, enjoyed life-work balance, learned a lot
Guest Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 22, 2015
The branch where I am assigned is the busiest Petro-Canada as others would say so I get to enjoy the fast-phased working environment there. I learned a lot from customer service, product knowledge, to cars and whatnot . I have nothing to say bad about the management especially to my boss because she's been very helpful and understanding to us/ her staffs. My co-workers are mostly Filipinos so it's easy to adapt. The hardest part or the most challenging of the job I would say is arranging the stocks in the c-can. We have to ensure FIFO in all deliveries. The most enjoyable part I would say is cashiering because you get to deal with different kind of people. Getting to know some customers that turned to patrons.
Pros
Incentives every time we passed the audit or got 100% on the mystery shop
Cons
No health benefits
Overall good place for employment
GSA/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONMay 30, 2013
At Petro Canada, for the duration of my employment with this company I worked the midnight shift, however when I first started out I would work a typical day shift. The main duties were to attendant to customers, keep the store tidy and assist any suppliers that would come into the store. Once I started to work a midnight shift, the duty list entailed a little more than the day time shift, stocking the shelves, cleaning all parts of the store, newspaper inventory, cleaning outdoors, etc. For the most part I worked a lone, as each shift was only assigned to one person. The hardest part about the job was working a lone a night, when your trying to clean but making sure that customers are attended to, but I did enjoy the job overall because I was able to gain more skills and experience.
Pros
independence, chance to learn new skills
Cons
long shifts
Working in a great work place
Crew (Former Employee) –  KitchenerMay 6, 2013
When I worked at Perto- Canada a typical day would be to clean around the pumps, change the garbages , make coffee, stocked the shelfs, I have learned that sometimes if the pumps don't work right we get yelled at by the customers and its not our fault. The Management was okay they were never really there when we were working so it was hard when the customers asked to speak with the manger because they were never there, My co-workers work great, they always helped me when I needed it or I would help them when they needed it, the hardest part of the job would have been the lotto because sometimes I get the 2 mixed up. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been working with the people I worked with and just having a part time job and getting out of the house
Productive and a fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 4, 2014
A typical day is very relaxing but can also become busy. I've learned how to work in a very fast paced environment, dealing with customers problems and how to properly greet customers.The management at Petro-Canada is very open on what you can do at work, as long as you get all your work done. Since I work night shifts, i am alone but when I see my co-workers they are very friendly and enjoyable. Hardest part of the job is working throughout the night all by myself, it becomes very lonely on slow nights. Most enjoyable part of the job is it goes by fast when I get very busy.
Pros
it can keep you very busy which makes time go by much quicker.
Cons
night shifts, can be very slow, restrictions on cleaning since i work alone.
Great place to work!
Retail Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 23, 2014
It's fun to interact with guests and co-workers. There is no boring day. Hardest part of the job is dealing with dissatisfied customers. At the same time it can give you the most rewarding feeling when they leave the store as happy guests because you were able to satisfy their needs. The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with regular customers, knowing their first names and their purchase habits (i.e. what brand of cigarettes they smoke, do they play lotto, etc.), chatting up with them, asking how they are doing, and them appreciating your work.
Easy job, flexible schedule
Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 16, 2013
This job was alright for the first bit, then the customers start to get to you and you lose all faith in humanity. The only reason I stayed with them was because I was going to school at the time and they were very flexible with hours. There was also a very high turn over rate (which is surprising considering how easy the job was) so I was forced to train a lot of people who would end up quitting within a month.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
zero opportunities for advancement, no raises ever
Perfact work place for a customer service experience
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2014
•Receive payment in exchange of filled gas or goods from the convenience shop
•Shelf Incoming goods
•Calculate total payments received at the end of the shift to tally with goods sold
•Keep balance sheets of amount received and transactions
•Performed daily line checks of hot and cold food items for proper temperature and monitored food safety.
•Assisted customers by providing information and resolving their complaints.
loved my experience
Quick Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJune 10, 2015
i really felt like part of a team at Petro Canada Pennzoil on Dundas in Belleville Ontario, great work experience and i'm happy to know there is always a place for me there if i was decide to go back there for a working position, or as a satisfied customer!
Pros
family came with the co=workers
Cons
far from home
not a safe workplace especially at grave shift (11pm-7am)
Guest Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 26, 2012
working at grave shift is not a busy but a lot of things to do. Since it's my first job to work as a cashier i learned to deal with customers. The management is good as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when I worked alone during grave shift and it is not safe to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you met kind customers
Pros
free coffee
Cons
not safe to work at grave shift. the location is not safe

Want to know more about Petro-Canada?

Ask a question
Part Time Job During Study
GSA (Cashier) gas-station (Former Employee) –  BurlingtonFebruary 24, 2013
About Job: Part Time Job During Study
a typical day at work: Work as Cashier and Gas Station Attendant
what you learned: How to serve Customer
your co-workers: Mostly work single at station
the hardest part of the job: Continues monitor everything
the most enjoyable part of the job: None
Pros
i can pay my bills during study
Cons
minimum wage
Good job but need to fulfill my aim that is becoming a successful Network Analyst
Customer service rep, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 28, 2015
• Operate company software, process transactions, correct records, and adjust errors.
• Train new employees.
• Respond to customer requests via phone, mail or in person.
• Prepare and forward preliminary paperwork to manager.
Highly resourceful and productive atmosphere
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 9, 2015
Working with highly professional people helped me a lot in improving various skills which are essential for the current competitive world.I just love the team work and initiatives taken by the staffs to execute different tasks, which is brilliant.
Pros
Professionalism
Cons
Highly pressurised environment
Fast, attentive, and safety mindset is a must.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCFebruary 2, 2015
Must be able to deal with a very fast paced day. Hundreds of customer transactions per shift. Always have an eye on surroundings and be aware of potential hazards at all times. Most important is customer service, fast, friendly, and effective service so our guests feel appreciated.
Learned a lot by working with supervisor and ARL
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor,ONSeptember 2, 2012
This job actually made my mind to pursue a degree in Accounting and then go for an Accounting Designation. I learned all about the accounting cycles ad how Retail businesses are affected my Accounting policies and procedures.
Pros
learned simply accounting, helpful supervisor
Its a good starting job
Retail Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 26, 2013
The work involved was customer service and sales assistance.I was the cashier ,aswell as took care of inventory and sales.The training was decent but the job description was vague ,the manager was rude and didnt really care about the store policies .The organizational activity of the store was weak.
Pros
n/a
Cons
night shift
Very fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, ABJuly 22, 2015
Tim Hortons is an extremely fast paced work environment, it is very busy all day long. The hardest part I found was trying to keep up and have all the orders ready to go out the window once the driver pulled up and paid.
N/A
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 22, 2013
The management, co-workers are friendly, nice and cooperative. The job is stressful sometimes due to the duties assigned and the big number of people served. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to greatly enhance my communication skills, build networks and serve people.
Non-Stop fast pace environment
Cashier/Retail (Former Employee) –  Prince George BCJune 24, 2015
It was long and busy, couldn't get anything i had to get done in one day. Always on my toes and i didn't want to do anything after work.
Pros
happy environment
Cons
busy, no help
Enterpreunrial and Exciting
Fort Hills Architect / PM support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 26, 2014
As an architect for numerous projects, this was company that listed to advice and made one feel a valuable member of the organization.

This was an exciting, dynamic and strong team oriented environment.