Petro-Canada Employee Reviews

Easy. Semi-Enjoyable, Terrible Management
GSA (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON12 July 2016
As a GSA my typical day consisted of working the cash register, selling lotto/tobacco and maintaining the gas pumps and car wash. I learned great customer service skills and the ins and outs of good sales techniques. I worked my shifts alone but the other employees were friendly and helpful but the manager had a tendency to ignore his duties or push them all onto us GSAs then take credit for our work. The hardest part the fact that I worked alone so if I ever fell ill or had an emergency it was nearly impossible to get anyone else to cover for me which is totally understandable in a position such as this but definitely difficult at times. The most enjoyable part was all the lovely customers I had met and chatted with regularly that made the day a little brighter and easier to get through
Pros
Great customers, great hours, simple job
Cons
Management, single-person shift work
Customers all around
Customer Service Associate in Ottawa, Canada (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 October 2016
Great customer relationship experience with tremendous support from the management and co-workers.
The work hours are fun filled because I get chance to interact with people from all age and different working backgrounds.
The best part of working as CSA is that here people instantly give feedback and scope of learning is spontaneous.
Fast-phase working environment, enjoyed life-work balance, learned a lot
Guest Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2015
The branch where I am assigned is the busiest Petro-Canada as others would say so I get to enjoy the fast-phased working environment there. I learned a lot from customer service, product knowledge, to cars and whatnot . I have nothing to say bad about the management especially to my boss because she's been very helpful and understanding to us/ her staffs. My co-workers are mostly Filipinos so it's easy to adapt. The hardest part or the most challenging of the job I would say is arranging the stocks in the c-can. We have to ensure FIFO in all deliveries. The most enjoyable part I would say is cashiering because you get to deal with different kind of people. Getting to know some customers that turned to patrons.
Pros
Incentives every time we passed the audit or got 100% on the mystery shop
Cons
No health benefits
Learning and co-operative environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON17 July 2016
One day, i was working with my day of work accomplice and the card exchange machine quit working. There was a long line of the clients and every one of them were sitting tight enthusiastically for their turn. it took 15-20 minutes to alter the issue. I was taking the money exchanges and attempting to keep the clients quiet. meanwhile, my associate went outside and posted the proper signs. the hardest part of the employment was restarting the machine. The agreeable part was keeping the clients quiet and giving them a fulfilled client administration.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
taking care of outside work when working alone
casual day
Gas Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON19 October 2016
I had rarely dealt with other co-workers but when I did we worked well together. I have much better customer service skills ever since I've been dealing with customers every few minutes on average. During the winter I would have to shovel outside which was the hardest part. The best part was interacting with my customers.
Pros
competitions with employees and the winner gets a gift card
Customer and Retail Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 May 2016
It is productive to work with people of other culture and manage a retail store. Working with Petro-Canada gives feeling of belongingness.
Pros
Refreshments
Casual
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB8 September 2016
Great working environment. I learned how to maintain a connivence store. Balance till, Sell products, gasonline, etc. As staff grew, 2,3 shifts every two weeks was hard to get by with. Job wasn't for me, Not enough manual labour.
Pros
Free coffee, Easy work place
Cons
Extra staff.
Fun Place to Work
Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  1493 Finch Ave West28 October 2016
It is quite busy place and it's fun working there with amazing people you see everyday and you learn a lot by talking to people and have awesome co-workers.
The most enjoyable part of this job was without a doubt the regular customers.
London, Ontario Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 March 2016
My time working at Petro-Canada gas station taught me the importance of multi-tasking without losing focus on the important things. It was a fast paced job with people coming in and going, questions, demands and more questions but over all the staff members treated each other like family. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a speed to keep up with the customers coming in buying merchandise, the customers paying for gas or having issues with their debit/credit cards, and the customers waiting to play the lotto or buy scratch off tickets. The most enjoyable part of this job was without a doubt the regular customers.
Cons
alone
Easy job, flexible schedule
Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 May 2013
This job was alright for the first bit, then the customers start to get to you and you lose all faith in humanity. The only reason I stayed with them was because I was going to school at the time and they were very flexible with hours. There was also a very high turn over rate (which is surprising considering how easy the job was) so I was forced to train a lot of people who would end up quitting within a month.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Zero opportunities for advancement, no raises ever
Friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 April 2016
I learn a lot about the Canadian workplace culture and customer service.
It has a friendly environment.
Nice and helpful manager.
Excellent team environment
Corporate Communications Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2015
Petro-Canada had a strong team culture and environment. I had the opportunity to build excellent working relationships.
Pros
Excellent benefits and compensation
Cons
Great place to work and enjoyed the opportunity.
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto25 July 2014
Great place to work and enjoyed the opportunity. Very competitive market to compete and need to demonstrate the benefits of me and the product line.
Nightshifts are not too easy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 February 2016
Some locations are dead at night, and therefore the shift really becomes a graveyard shift.

Some locations are more fun than others, with regards to the number of customers at past midnight.
Great fast paced
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC10 February 2016
Like this place always meeting new people on a daily basis
Gotta love the place you work at.

Great team work always something new to learn here
FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT
Guest Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2015
I ENJOYED WORKING AT PETRO-CANADA. ALL MY CO-WORKERS WERE VERY SUPPORTIVE AND FRIENDLY. I LEARNED A LOT THERE. THEIR TRAINING MODULES ARE ALSO VERY INFORMATIVE.
Productive and a fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON4 October 2014
A typical day is very relaxing but can also become busy. I've learned how to work in a very fast paced environment, dealing with customers problems and how to properly greet customers.The management at Petro-Canada is very open on what you can do at work, as long as you get all your work done. Since I work night shifts, i am alone but when I see my co-workers they are very friendly and enjoyable. Hardest part of the job is working throughout the night all by myself, it becomes very lonely on slow nights. Most enjoyable part of the job is it goes by fast when I get very busy.
Pros
It can keep you very busy which makes time go by much quicker.
Cons
Night Shifts, can be very slow, restrictions on cleaning since I work alone.
Working in a great work place
Crew (Former Employee) –  Kitchener6 May 2013
When I worked at Perto- Canada a typical day would be to clean around the pumps, change the garbages , make coffee, stocked the shelfs, I have learned that sometimes if the pumps don't work right we get yelled at by the customers and its not our fault. The Management was okay they were never really there when we were working so it was hard when the customers asked to speak with the manger because they were never there, My co-workers work great, they always helped me when I needed it or I would help them when they needed it, the hardest part of the job would have been the lotto because sometimes I get the 2 mixed up. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been working with the people I worked with and just having a part time job and getting out of the house
Highly resourceful and productive atmosphere
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 July 2015
Working with highly professional people helped me a lot in improving various skills which are essential for the current competitive world.I just love the team work and initiatives taken by the staffs to execute different tasks, which is brilliant.
Pros
Professionalism
Cons
Highly pressurised environment
Overall good place for employment
GSA/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON30 May 2013
At Petro Canada, for the duration of my employment with this company I worked the midnight shift, however when I first started out I would work a typical day shift. The main duties were to attendant to customers, keep the store tidy and assist any suppliers that would come into the store. Once I started to work a midnight shift, the duty list entailed a little more than the day time shift, stocking the shelves, cleaning all parts of the store, newspaper inventory, cleaning outdoors, etc. For the most part I worked a lone, as each shift was only assigned to one person. The hardest part about the job was working a lone a night, when your trying to clean but making sure that customers are attended to, but I did enjoy the job overall because I was able to gain more skills and experience.
Pros
independence, chance to learn new skills
Cons
Long shifts