Petland Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Productive and knowledgeable
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB17 September 2017
Working at Petland was fun, it opened so many new doors to taking care of the many different types of animals you can bring home. Each animal has their own food that they eat and while working there you can learn about which food may be better for your new four-legged friend.
Pros
Caring for animals, helping customers
Cons
Can be noisy
Fun, easy place to work or volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB10 September 2017
Great place to volunteer. Come and volunteer whenever works for you. Volunteer for however long you want. Friendly employees and they teach you. Loved it!
Supervisor
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2017
Was a pretty good place to work, Head office didn't really care for its employers and didn't want to spend the time or the money to actually train people so if you don't already know about pets no point working there
Fun work place with animals and people coming in all the time. Never a dull moment there.
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 August 2017
Petland is wonderful place to work for a student only needing part time or for someone who has a family and is needing a full time job. There you are to meet sales goals and familiarize yourself with customers and their pets. Working at Petland there is always new knowledge to learn everyday about any animal, even the ones you wouldn't consider having as a pet. A typical day at Petland would start off with walking around the store seeing and learning new product and animals in the store. Then you would walk to guests in the store and ask them if they are needing assistance and you would generously help them and answer any questions they had. The workplace culture is very friendly and very fast moving, there is always something keeping you on your toes whether you are helping a customer or cleaning up after animals and the store. I think the hardest part about working there is keeping your sales goals high while getting your tasks done throughout the day, it sometimes was a challenge but was manageable and easy some days when the store wasn't too busy. The most enjoyable part was getting to know all the customers that came in with their pets whether is was a dog, cat, hamster or even a descended skunk, etc. Petland is a great job to get involved in.
Stressfull environment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB9 August 2017
Where to begin?

The management in this company is horrible, they set super high standards that are nearly impossible to achieve. You will be told to do so many tasks while at the same time be expe ted to keep the store 100% stocked and spotless. The managers care more about sales then they do about the animals in our care, the amount of sick and injured animals in the store is rediculous, and could be avoided if they took the time to provide proper training in store instead of forcing you to attend 8 hour classroom style training courses in different locations.

That being said the other staff in the store is fantastic, and very friendly for the most part.

All in all I wouldn't recommend working for this company if you care about animals because they way the stores are run will just make you sad.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Managment, poor animal care
Worst work experience of my life
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kamloops3 August 2017
For an eight hour shift you didn't receive 15 minute breaks because it was "unproductive" only one half hour break for your entire shift.

You had to arrive early (without pay) to iron your outfit, the managers said "were the Disneyland of petstores, would Cinderella have a wrinkle in her dress?"

You have to calculate (on your own time of course, before or after work or during your half hour) how much money you brought into the company, what your average ticket was, etc. And if you didn't meet their expectation then you will hear about it. You feel like you're always on the chopping block.

Because they track how much each associate puts through the till there is unnecessary tension over which customer 'belongs' to who. For example if associate A talks to Customer B for 10 minutes, then associate C also helps customer B and proceeds to ring them through under their number, well associate A is not happy. Everyone who worked there at my level was just mean and bitter, but I can't hold anything against them because the environment was so awful that I can't blame them.

This also makes fish catching the most avoided task, because it takes the longest with little payout. And the tanks are so cluttered with decorations and plants that catching anything is a nightmear. At least it looks pretty to the customer though!

You had to stay late without pay if customers took their time leaving at the end of the night (ex. You are scheduled until 8, but a customer stays until 8:10 there's no recourse, because the schedule is set in stone/no punch in/punch out system)

The managers
  more... will come up and give you pop quizzes about products in the store. They are also extremely condescending.

You might think working with animals is a plus but There was hardly any contact with the animals due to micromanaging, if they see you without a customer they will find something else for you to do.

The animal food and chews were reused (chew sticks washed for each new animal, old hamster food given to the mice to eat instead of mouse food)

I can't even count how many times I went home crying from the stress. Everytime I drove to work I wished I'd be in a car accident just so I didn't have to go in.

When I gave them my two weeks notice (a month after working there) they told me to just go, and the manager followed me around the store and back to the staff room like I was a criminal, then walked me outside. I was nearly in tears on the phone waiting for my sister to pick me up as the manager interrogated me about my new job (another Petstore in the area)
Pros
Cons
They take advantage of young workers who don't know their rights
Decent
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 July 2017
Petland is a decent place. Some of their policies are a bit out there and they rely to much on pushing commission for their employees but overall a decent place
Pretty bad
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 July 2017
Management was really rude. Didn't care for their workers. The whole store itself was gross and filthy, no one wanted to clean anything up. Salary benefits were a joke to be honest. I can't describe how bad the life balance was with this job. One day you had a shift, another you didn't have one but you had one on the schedule. If you couldn't come in they got really mad off and threatened to fire you.

I'm glad I quit, no one deserves what I had to go through,
Pros
Having pets to play around with
Cons
Almost everything
Fun workplace
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC23 June 2017
A typical day at work would be helping guests find product, taking out animals for guests, and putting through transactions. As well as helping guests adopt their new pet
it was good but lacking good management
Fish & reptiles /sales/vet tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2017
This job was by far had the worst management I have experienced in my short career,from the management not telling me when I was not doing something right and then being totally blind sided with a termination notice.this could be this specific management staff I encountered at this particular point in time at this location.
Pros
discounts
Cons
demanding sales goals

Want to know more about Petland?

Ask a question
Friendly staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB5 June 2017
Staff are excellent people to work with. Working with the animals is very exciting and you learn so much. There are perks when you meet your monthly sales goal. Management is unprofessional and treats their staff as if they're disposable. Pay is very poor and there are rarely raises given out no matter how much you prove yourself.
Pros
Learning about and working with animals. Friendly staff.
Cons
Poor pay and Poor management
It was not very good
On floor sales person (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2017
It was a mess there people and animals being treated poorly. Very moody management and very greedy tactics used. Would not recomend working there.......
The Animals were great!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC3 May 2017
Took care of a wide range of animals, reptiles, birds, fish and cats and dogs. Took care of customers needs regarding their loving pet! Lots of friendly customers
Family friendly atmosphere, great staff to work with.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB2 May 2017
When beginning my employment at Petland Grande Prairie, management was in disarray. We lost both our manager and assistant manager at the same time, so management was left to four supervisors. Four months into the job, a new manager was found and things began to run smoothly, making Petland and even better work environment.
The staff at Petland is extremely pleasant. The whole crew works together well with very little drama between members. This created a family between us, and created a safe environment for coworkers to thrive.
A typical day includes one-on-one experiences with many different kinds of customers, as well as animals, which was the best part of working for Petland. After joining the many college-style courses offered by the company, the knowledge and skills we acquired became extremely useful in dealing with any questions asked by our clients.
The only downside to working for this great company was a lack of hours. With many part-time employees, hours were not guaranteed to the staff.
Pros
Friendly staff, great customers, and lots of one-on-one time with the animals. Great learning experience.
Cons
Not enough hours
work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 April 2017
i do all tasks asked of me such as sweep floor, clean food dishes, take in the new stock and shelve it, empty begs of cat litter into a bin, clean out mats of dust and rocks.
Lovely employees, scary manager
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB13 April 2017
Worked for a very scary manager. She does not have any regard for an employee's life outside the store. I felt anxious, stressed and judged by her on a regular basis. The other employees felt the same and would often vocalize their discontent with her and yet nothing would change.
Pros
Good job culture. The other employees made the job doable
Cons
Long hours, irregular breaks, promise of a raise that was never seen through even after a promotion.
fun place to work with animals
Pet counsellor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB12 March 2017
Animals are well taken care of and the people who work there truly do love every animal and provide the best care. Fish and reptile manager is very knowledgable.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Snakes
great job, very good work ethics
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2017
this job has fantastic, the people, the management were all very professional.
Playing with the animals and the general care that the staff gave to the animals was the best part of this job.
Pros
customer relations
Cons
outdated dress code
fun place to work
Pet counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2017
overall fun place to work. managmeant is horrible. they do not respect the diversity in people. when hiring they are racist and homaphoblic. managment needs to change
Pros
fun, relaxing
Cons
family owe, no way to move up in company
Store Level great, Head Office and upper management horrible
Full time PC (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2017
Where to start...

I worked at 2 different stores, for a few different managers. Some managers were amazing - offering training and coaching and fostering a great culture. They cared about the employees, the animals, and the customers. I also saw these managers get treated like dirt by upper management from Calgary and Winnipeg. It was crazy actually how the good managers seemed go get the worst treatment and the horrible managers kept getting promoted! When you dig deeper and find out the INSANE drama and favouritism that happens in upper management, it's no wonder they treat the horrible managers like they do...because they're not a threat. They like to keep the poor managers close and under their "wings" so to speak because they don't push back.

I left because my favourite manager left because she couldn't take it anymore. Head office kept cutting hours but upping sales goals. Keep in mind you still have to care for the animals, and when more hours are cut and there's not many staff to help each other out, goals get missed and EVERYONE feels the stress.

Having worked for other retail companies since, I will say that the training I received at Petland was top notch - from the managers that cared. It a shame that head office is so completely out of touch.
Pros
Customers, animals, coworkers
Cons
Head office/upper management