Petland Employee Reviews in Canada

Positive atmosphere
Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 18, 2016
Overall co-oping at Petland is an experience I will never forget. I learned how to feed and take care of various species of reptiles and mammals. I was able to learn tricks to knowing what size and how much food they could consume. The management and co-workers were kind and helpful. I enjoyed bonding with my co-workers and the animals
Did not like
Merchandising/Pricing (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2016
Spent an 8 hour shift walking around the store "facing", was not allowed to interact with other staff, store was almost always empty. The days were very long, and boring.
Productive and fun workplace
Small Animals Manager/ Pet Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2016
They train you in how to do your job well and teach you all you need to know about animals and animal care. It is a fun and rewarding place to work and I really enjoyed working here.
socialble co-workers, poor training, minimal hours
Fish & Reptile Pet Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg ManitobaJune 14, 2015
The job itself I enjoy, I learn a lot from this job but only over time so its harder to get your foot in the door. I liked being able to help others with their pet-caretaker relationship, and caring for the animals was great. The hardest part of the job for me was learning about the fish, and the most enjoyable aspect was caring for the animals, and being able to make Petlands guests happy. Management wasn't very clear or straightforward in some aspects
Pros
fun cooworkers, handling reptiles
Cons
poor scheduling, few shifts, poor training
Great way to improve on social skills and experience in customer service
Pet Councellor And Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 28, 2015
-There are many options for the types of shifts available
-Mornings and afternoon shifts are available
-Most of the time used during a shift is used for customer service but you are also able to work with the animals
-This job helped me gain confidence in customer service skills
-The hardest part of this job was to be able to manage my events outside of work with the amount of hours given to me for shifts
-The most enjoyable part of this job was to be able to work with the animals and be able to successfully help customers with their needs
Pros
Discounts, free dog food each month while employed, opportunity to work with the animals
Cons
long hour shifts, salary was not high enough for the amount of work applied
Intersting job
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2015
There was always something new to learn and a fun task to complete. Sometimes managers expected too much to be done in a short amount of time, also sometimes asked to complete dangerous tasks.
Decent
Core Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 26, 2015
Very flexible in regards to students, good co-workers that made the job that much better, if you're looking for a low wage/low stress job, this is the place for you.
If you like animals this is a great place to work
Fish and Reptile Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2015
Everyone there is enjoyable to work with, they all share a love for animals and a passion for an enjoyable work environment. I would recommend this job 9 times out of 10.
Exciting
Pet Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2015
When I worked for petland, we had the opportunity to work with many types of animals. learning their specific needs kept it interesting.
Great Work Environment
Kennel Tech (Former Employee) –  St. CatharinesMarch 9, 2015
Working here was the best job I could have hoped for to start. My coworkers and management were helpful and understanding. I fit right in from the start and it always felt like fun even during Tuesday rush! Everyone helped everyone and it was just a fun job with nothing but rewards!
Pros
it's a family
Good company to work for
Sales person (Former Employee) –  Prince george bcNovember 8, 2014
Enjoyed my time at petland interesting and nice staff to work with
DO NOT WORK FOR THEM
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 22, 2014
The managers are terrible. They hire you, then fire you right away for no reason. They don't give you a reason for letting you go, they don't care about the animals. They half do everything, most of their animals are sick. Their birds are aggressive, and no one wants to adopt them. They are suppose to be prepping them for new owners, but most of the bigger birds stay around and are shipped from store to store with NO hand training, no time outside the cage. They lock the cage with an actual bike lock! it is so sad! The birds get no attention. The smaller animals get treated badly. on a typical work day both managers will yell at you, even if you;re doing everything on the list, and more!

They are monsters! PETLAND is a terrible place to work! AND all the pets are WAY over priced! If you want a GREAT pet, that is NOT sick, then go to a breeder, unless you want a cat/dog, then go to the Humane Society, PETLAND are scammers, and are rude! All they want to do is SELL, their birds can be anywhere from 1k to 4k, and the birds are NOT worth that! You can get a BRAND NEW BABY whom is in the parrot family for like $400 - $800. PETLAND is a HUGE scam! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!
Cons
short shirts, drama, animal cruelty, animal neglect
Fun and Exciting
PET COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJune 2, 2014
The hours are good the people are even better. The bonuses are easy to advance too and the learning never stops. very friendly costumers orientated environment.
Fun work environment
Pet Counsellor (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONDecember 18, 2013
Busy work environment.
Manage both customer care, as well as animal husbandry and care.
Open and honest work environment.
Many learning opportunities.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
no room to move up
Messy Hours Left Little Time for Personal Errands
Pet Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCJanuary 18, 2013
The hours I was given at Petland were horribly erratic - there was absolutely no dependability of schedule, which meant that despite my best efforts, I was often highly confused, resulting in several times where I was either late or had no idea that I was supposed to be working - or not working. Despite having a recorded schedule for every month, I swear that hours were occasionally changed without my knowledge, for that is how it seemed. The hours were also given inconsiderately - a coworker of mine with a young son who needed weekends off was often given weekend hours to work anyway and I personally often found it difficult to manage errands because of my hours conflicting with the time my ride had available to take me place. I often felt very rushed working here, told to do tasks which were impossible to accomplish in the amount of time that the management wanted us to accomplish them in. I worked very hard at Petland and got little credit for it. Once or twice, I was accused for something which I did not do.

I have worked in the pet industry three times now and this was the worst place. With so many animals to keep track of and clean as well as take care of customers, having to know about all of the said animals in order to help them, this was a much bigger job than the money it offered. You do double duty here - you're half retail salesperson and half animal caretaker/janitor and often the retail side takes over, resulting in less time for the animals who need it. Maintenance in the fish area alone could take all day and it was the heavy duty work which is not easily interrupted,
  more... yet it was so constantly. I never felt valued or trusted and it was easily to feel disloyal. Whereas at other pet stores I felt strongly driven to only shop at my store, I was happy to shop elsewhere and since leaving, I have rarely shopped there since. The store has very aggressive sales tactics, making you 'attack dog' customers right at the door and getting in their faces rather than simply greeting them and leaving them alone for a while before returning to them a few minutes later to see if they need any help. There was also an employee who was very religious and I would have liked it if the management would have asked her to keep her beliefs at home as they seemed highly inappropriate in the workplace. There also were not really many opportunities given to the employees so that we could freshen our knowledge about products as very few reps came in and we never went to product seminars. With the nature of this job, what with daily teaching customers, more proactive education of the employees would be very helpful.

On the plus side, the coworkers were pretty great and everyone is quite nice. The pizza rocked!
Pros
free pizza for lunch sometimes, employee discount, free bag of dog or cat food (though it must be from specific brands)
Cons
horrible seemingly ever changing hours, no employee education, poor management, not enough pay for amount of duties involved
Regina store has pets needs as first priority
Petland Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKDecember 17, 2012
I ran the store typically as manager on duty: opening the store, managing staff, reconciling monies and closing the store. The manager in charge when I was first hired took advantage of my salary by promising me a higher wage and then saying it wasn't possible. Though I tried to stand for my rights and he treated me with little respect. He eventually left and store operations ran a lot smoother in respect to employee conflicts or drama (I was not the only one who felt they'd been wronged by him). The job itself is unbelievably rewarding. Learning about animals needs and educating customers on how to create the ultimate human animal bond will forever be rewarding.
Pros
working with animals and other animal lovers, pretty good day to day work incentives (i.e. coffee, pizza). good staff.
Cons
slightly difficult district managing team, very impersonal and nonsympathetic or understanding to in store issues.
Fast paced busy with fun staff
Pet councellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 8, 2012
On shift you must take care of a to do list, meet hourly sales goals ( no exeption if the store isnt busy) organise shelves, mop floors and clean up after animals. Fun friendly staff, good managers but it is a retail job, be prepared.
Pros
flexible breaks
Cons
you meet your sales goals or else.
Terrible place to work!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  CanadaNovember 15, 2012
DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA. The company likes to make decisions without thinking about them and then a week later change their minds again making things chaotic and very confusing. The policies and procedure manual was essentially just a joke! Head office is a joke. If the company was run better and they had people capable of doing their jobs properly and efficiently I would recommend working for them but until then I would avoid it unless you want to deal with no structure, the politics, and a poorly run head office. The Entire operations team has no clue what they are doing and I really don't think that they are in this for animal welfare. Its all about money.
Pros
the animals you help
Cons
unfair managment. no hr department
fun workplace but not good living
Cashier (Former Employee) –  grande prairieOctober 23, 2012
Petland was a job that made learn how to take animals and it was hard work but fun as well but with 9 dollars salary it wasnt enough so this job was alright I still learned a lot from this jobs
Overall Great work experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 11, 2012
I loved working in the fast work environment of retail, interacting with people with a great staff to help you get through the day even when it was a tough day. Management was understanding and great at showing the essentials to work in that environment.

2.7