Petland Employee Reviews

Lots of fun till they tell you to leave your morals at the door
Depatment Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary and Edmonton19 September 2016
Former employee. Long time employee however. 12+ years with them. Great company to work for when we were in Calgary. But the Edmonton side of things is really different. Was going ok until the Store Manager told me to start telling everyone that everything is an amazing product, send fish home to anyone who wants one because who cares, its just a fish. I feel that in a job industry like this, morals and ethics are very important. Needless to say, I left and have stated boycotting the company ever since.

Head office was about the worst idea ever for them. They are very out of touch with what is really happening in a store. The economy hit apparently hit them hard because when it was crunch time it became very clear that it was all about the bottom line in head offices pocket instead of how they can better help their employees.

Your best, will never be good enough. It will be for a time, maybe. But one day that will all change and your best isn't their best anymore and *Poof* your fired.

Never accept a promotion to a department manager. Not only is it about as high a turn over as their entry level Pet Councillors position, the raise in pay is almost non existent. Or completely non existent in my case.

Best part of the job is the animals and the customers. Yes the animals need seemingly constant upkeep which will keep you very busy. But... you get to make sure you find the right people to take home your animals.

A great part-time job. Beware the management system.

Pros: Lots of cute things to cheer you up.
Cons: Management, pay, benefits, unpaid training,
  more... constant micromanaging from off site head office, nobody has proper training and the store level managers are as qualified at their job as the hamsters would be in the same position.  less
Productive and fun workplace with a diverse group of employees
Pet Councellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2016
Petland was a great place for a summer job. Working with animals as well as communicating with fellow pet owning customers who are looking for the best for their pet makes for a fun and educational work environment. I learned time management skills, communication skills, and became more educated on various pets and care for pets.

The connections made with co-workers were good, there is a fast turnover of employees which made it easy to meet lots of people, but hard to maintain connections.

The hardest part of the job was sometimes having to lift hard objects, but with time this became easier. The most enjoyable part of the job was making pet owners happy and knowing that I had given them knowledge to make sure their pet would be happy too.
Not a fun place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 August 2016
Management was horrible. The Manager made several employees cry. Upper Managament did not care for the smaller employees and always pressured us to do better. Nothing was ever good enough.
Pros
the animals
Cons
management
I learned a lot and all the staff and management were amazing
Medicine Hat - Pet Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB4 September 2016
I don't think I will ever work somewhere as amazing as Petland Medicine Hat again. If you don't mind hard work at the beginning, it is very rewarding
Pros
I made another family
Cons
I had to move away
Great way to improve on social skills and experience in customer service
Pet Councellor And Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 May 2015
-There are many options for the types of shifts available
-Mornings and afternoon shifts are available
-Most of the time used during a shift is used for customer service but you are also able to work with the animals
-This job helped me gain confidence in customer service skills
-The hardest part of this job was to be able to manage my events outside of work with the amount of hours given to me for shifts
-The most enjoyable part of this job was to be able to work with the animals and be able to successfully help customers with their needs
Pros
Discounts, free dog food each month while employed, opportunity to work with the animals
Cons
long hour shifts, salary was not high enough for the amount of work applied
great for job experience
pet councilor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 October 2016
helping customer play with the animals and tend to both needs

social skills affiance

productive and well trained

fun and helpfull

reaching gold star on a slow day

playing with animals
Positive atmosphere
Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON18 April 2016
Overall co-oping at Petland is an experience I will never forget. I learned how to feed and take care of various species of reptiles and mammals. I was able to learn tricks to knowing what size and how much food they could consume. The management and co-workers were kind and helpful. I enjoyed bonding with my co-workers and the animals
decent
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 September 2016
I receved sufficient experience in feeding and walking animals. Also i got to play with puppies and kittens so that made it worth it.
Regina store has pets needs as first priority
Petland Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK17 December 2012
I ran the store typically as manager on duty: opening the store, managing staff, reconciling monies and closing the store. The manager in charge when I was first hired took advantage of my salary by promising me a higher wage and then saying it wasn't possible. Though I tried to stand for my rights and he treated me with little respect. He eventually left and store operations ran a lot smoother in respect to employee conflicts or drama (I was not the only one who felt they'd been wronged by him). The job itself is unbelievably rewarding. Learning about animals needs and educating customers on how to create the ultimate human animal bond will forever be rewarding.
Pros
working with animals and other animal lovers, pretty good day to day work incentives (i.e. coffee, pizza). good staff.
Cons
slightly difficult district managing team, very impersonal and nonsympathetic or understanding to in store issues.
Did not like
Merchandising/Pricing (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2016
Spent an 8 hour shift walking around the store "facing", was not allowed to interact with other staff, store was almost always empty. The days were very long, and boring.
Productive and fun workplace
Small Animals Manager/ Pet Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2016
They train you in how to do your job well and teach you all you need to know about animals and animal care. It is a fun and rewarding place to work and I really enjoyed working here.
fun workplace but not good living
Cashier (Former Employee) –  grande prairie23 October 2012
Petland was a job that made learn how to take animals and it was hard work but fun as well but with 9 dollars salary it wasnt enough so this job was alright I still learned a lot from this jobs
socialble co-workers, poor training, minimal hours
Fish & Reptile Pet Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg Manitoba14 June 2015
The job itself I enjoy, I learn a lot from this job but only over time so its harder to get your foot in the door. I liked being able to help others with their pet-caretaker relationship, and caring for the animals was great. The hardest part of the job for me was learning about the fish, and the most enjoyable aspect was caring for the animals, and being able to make Petlands guests happy. Management wasn't very clear or straightforward in some aspects
Pros
fun cooworkers, handling reptiles
Cons
poor scheduling, few shifts, poor training
Terrible place to work!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Canada15 November 2012
DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA. The company likes to make decisions without thinking about them and then a week later change their minds again making things chaotic and very confusing. The policies and procedure manual was essentially just a joke! Head office is a joke. If the company was run better and they had people capable of doing their jobs properly and efficiently I would recommend working for them but until then I would avoid it unless you want to deal with no structure, the politics, and a poorly run head office. The Entire operations team has no clue what they are doing and I really don't think that they are in this for animal welfare. Its all about money.
Pros
the animals you help
Cons
unfair managment. no hr department
Fun place to work at, taking care of animals and interacting with customers and making sure they are educated about animal care
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC22 May 2012
A typical day at Petland would be to reach the end of the day sales target, time management is a must, helping more than one customer at once and being attentive and friendly to everyone without breaking the professionalism aspect of the job. Taking care of the animals, working around their schedule (feeding, bathing, walking, etc.) The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the look on customers faces when I deliver them with exactly what they were looking for.
Pros
animal care education classes
Decent
Core Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 May 2015
Very flexible in regards to students, good co-workers that made the job that much better, if you're looking for a low wage/low stress job, this is the place for you.
Great Work Environment
Kennel Tech (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines9 March 2015
Working here was the best job I could have hoped for to start. My coworkers and management were helpful and understanding. I fit right in from the start and it always felt like fun even during Tuesday rush! Everyone helped everyone and it was just a fun job with nothing but rewards!
Pros
It's a family
DO NOT WORK FOR THEM
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 October 2014
The managers are terrible. They hire you, then fire you right away for no reason. They don't give you a reason for letting you go, they don't care about the animals. They half do everything, most of their animals are sick. Their birds are aggressive, and no one wants to adopt them. They are suppose to be prepping them for new owners, but most of the bigger birds stay around and are shipped from store to store with NO hand training, no time outside the cage. They lock the cage with an actual bike lock! it is so sad! The birds get no attention. The smaller animals get treated badly. on a typical work day both managers will yell at you, even if you;re doing everything on the list, and more!

They are monsters! PETLAND is a terrible place to work! AND all the pets are WAY over priced! If you want a GREAT pet, that is NOT sick, then go to a breeder, unless you want a cat/dog, then go to the Humane Society, PETLAND are scammers, and are rude! All they want to do is SELL, their birds can be anywhere from 1k to 4k, and the birds are NOT worth that! You can get a BRAND NEW BABY whom is in the parrot family for like $400 - $800. PETLAND is a HUGE scam! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!
Cons
short shirts, drama, animal cruelty, animal neglect
Overall Great work experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 July 2012
I loved working in the fast work environment of retail, interacting with people with a great staff to help you get through the day even when it was a tough day. Management was understanding and great at showing the essentials to work in that environment.
Intersting job
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2015
There was always something new to learn and a fun task to complete. Sometimes managers expected too much to be done in a short amount of time, also sometimes asked to complete dangerous tasks.

2.7