PETLAND

PETLAND Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun work environment
Pet Counsellor (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONDecember 18, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: no room to move up
Busy work environment.
Manage both customer care, as well as animal husbandry and care.
Open and honest work environment.
Many learning opportunities.
Messy Hours Left Little Time for Personal Errands
Pet Specialist (Former Employee), Vernon, BCJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: free pizza for lunch sometimes, employee discount, free bag of dog or cat food (though it must be from specific brands)
Cons: horrible seemingly ever changing hours, no employee education, poor management, not enough pay for amount of duties involved
The hours I was given at Petland were horribly erratic - there was absolutely no dependability of schedule, which meant that despite my best efforts, I was often highly confused, resulting in several times where I was either late or had no idea that I was supposed to be working - or not working. Despite having a recorded schedule for every month, I – more... swear that hours were occasionally changed without my knowledge, for that is how it seemed. The hours were also given inconsiderately - a coworker of mine with a young son who needed weekends off was often given weekend hours to work anyway and I personally often found it difficult to manage errands because of my hours conflicting with the time my ride had available to take me place. I often felt very rushed working here, told to do tasks which were impossible to accomplish in the amount of time that the management wanted us to accomplish them in. I worked very hard at Petland and got little credit for it. Once or twice, I was accused for something which I did not do.

I have worked in the pet industry three times now and this was the worst place. With so many animals to keep track of and clean as well as take care of customers, having to know about all of the said animals in order to help them, this was a much bigger job than the money it offered. You do double duty here - you're half retail salesperson and half animal caretaker/janitor and often the retail side takes over, resulting in less time for the animals who need it. Maintenance in the fish area alone could take all day and it was the heavy duty work which is not easily interrupted, yet it was so constantly. I never felt valued or trusted and it was easily to feel disloyal. Whereas at other pet stores I felt strongly driven to only shop at my store, I was happy to shop elsewhere and since leaving, I have rarely shopped there since. The store has very aggressive sales tactics, making you 'attack dog' customers right at the door and getting in their faces rather than simply greeting them and leaving them alone for a while before returning to them a few minutes later to see if they need any help. There was also an employee who was very religious and I would have liked it if the management would have asked her to keep her beliefs at home as they seemed highly inappropriate in the workplace. There also were not really many opportunities given to the employees so that we could freshen our knowledge about products as very few reps came in and we never went to product seminars. With the nature of this job, what with daily teaching customers, more proactive education of the employees would be very helpful.

On the plus side, the coworkers were pretty great and everyone is quite nice. The pizza rocked! – less
Regina store has pets needs as first priority
Petland Supervisor (Former Employee), Regina, SKDecember 17, 2012
Pros: working with animals and other animal lovers, pretty good day to day work incentives (i.e. coffee, pizza). good staff.
Cons: slightly difficult district managing team, very impersonal and nonsympathetic or understanding to in store issues.
I ran the store typically as manager on duty: opening the store, managing staff, reconciling monies and closing the store. The manager in charge when I was first hired took advantage of my salary by promising me a higher wage and then saying it wasn't possible. Though I tried to stand for my rights and he treated me with little respect. He eventually – more... left and store operations ran a lot smoother in respect to employee conflicts or drama (I was not the only one who felt they'd been wronged by him). The job itself is unbelievably rewarding. Learning about animals needs and educating customers on how to create the ultimate human animal bond will forever be rewarding. – less
Fast paced busy with fun staff
Pet councellor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 8, 2012
Pros: flexible breaks
Cons: you meet your sales goals or else.
On shift you must take care of a to do list, meet hourly sales goals ( no exeption if the store isnt busy) organise shelves, mop floors and clean up after animals. Fun friendly staff, good managers but it is a retail job, be prepared.
Terrible place to work!
Former Employee (Former Employee), CanadaNovember 15, 2012
Pros: the animals you help
Cons: unfair managment. no hr department
DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA. The company likes to make decisions without thinking about them and then a week later change their minds again making things chaotic and very confusing. The policies and procedure manual was essentially just a joke! Head office is a joke. If the company was run better and they had people capable of doing their jobs properly and – more... efficiently I would recommend working for them but until then I would avoid it unless you want to deal with no structure, the politics, and a poorly run head office. The Entire operations team has no clue what they are doing and I really don't think that they are in this for animal welfare. Its all about money. – less
fun workplace but not good living
Cashier (Former Employee), grande prairieOctober 23, 2012
Petland was a job that made learn how to take animals and it was hard work but fun as well but with 9 dollars salary it wasnt enough so this job was alright I still learned a lot from this jobs
Overall Great work experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 11, 2012
I loved working in the fast work environment of retail, interacting with people with a great staff to help you get through the day even when it was a tough day. Management was understanding and great at showing the essentials to work in that environment.
Fun place to work at, taking care of animals and interacting with customers and making sure they are educated about animal care
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), White Rock, BCMay 22, 2012
Pros: animal care education classes
A typical day at Petland would be to reach the end of the day sales target, time management is a must, helping more than one customer at once and being attentive and friendly to everyone without breaking the professionalism aspect of the job. Taking care of the animals, working around their schedule (feeding, bathing, walking, etc.) The most enjoyable – more... part of the job was seeing the look on customers faces when I deliver them with exactly what they were looking for. – less
Don't even think about it
Fish & Reptile Manager (Former Employee), Joplin, MOApril 1, 2014
If you value your sanity, go elsewhere. The management is very rude, uncaring, and would rather fire you than train you.
Fun, Fast Paced Work Environment
Pet Counselor (Former Employee), Chillicothe, OHMarch 18, 2014
Assisting customers with pet needs by determining and solving problems. I learned how to deal with a wide variety of people, as well as how to shape people into great sales people and managers. The management at the time I was first employed were amazing, they really cared about and were willing to help you advance through the company. However, a change – more... in management happened in 2013 and in my opinion store is now not running as efficient as possible. Very few adults who worked there, mostly high school students, but the employees are super outgoing and fun to be around. The hardest part of the job is making sure you meet the needs of every customer that enters the store, and meeting your sales goals. The most enjoyable part was being part of the management team and getting to shape the young employees to be better workers. – less
Fun workplace
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Palm Beach Gardens, FLMarch 4, 2014
I learned QuickBooks and very friendly environment. Petland is very professional and respectful company
Petland of Cicero
Fish & Reptile Sales Counselor (Current Employee), Cicero, NYFebruary 24, 2014
A typical day at work for me consists of arriving and doing a walk through of my department and establishing a list of tasks that need to be accomplished for that day. I ensure that my employees know what needs to be accomplished and do all I can to make it so they can do their jobs with success. As well as selling merchandise and livestock I am also – more... responsible for ordering and maintaining livestock and making sure there are no disease outbreaks or health issues. The best part about my job is that I'm able to work with what I have a passion for, marine life, and teach others about it as well. – less
productive and fun working envorment
Kennel Tech/ Pet Counselor (Current Employee), Fairfield, OHFebruary 19, 2014
just a fun ongoing experience and never time to just stand around and always something to do.
Productive and fun place to work, with a lot of great people.
CASHIER, PET COUNSELOR, AND KENNEL TECH (Former Employee), Chillicothe, OHJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: bonuses, paid out
Cons: competitive, long hours and days
A typical day at work I would do anything from cashing out customers, helping them find a perfect companion or the things they need to spoil their companion, to cleaning and caring for the animals.
I learned that when people come in looking for an animal they aren't just going to settle for the first one they see ans think is adorable, as a pet counselor – more... you are dedicated in finding that perfect match for each family. It might be a hamster, fish, cat, or even a puppy. Finding the right companion for a family is not as easy as it looks. My managers help throughout each step to make sure that each family is satisfied with the animal they choose. Not only do the managers help out tremendously but the other pet counselors are great at it as well. Why not work as a team? The hardest part of working at Petland is the intense competition some co-workers have towards one another. It is not all about the money, it is nice having a nice paycheck at the end of the week. But it is even better when a happy family falls in love with their new companion. I love pretty much everything about Petland. Working with animals is amazing. When an animal goes to a right family not only is the family happy but that animal is as well. – less
Fast Paced
Head Pet Care Technician (Former Employee), Springfield, MOJanuary 16, 2014
I worked my way from pet tech to head pet tech within a few months. The work was demanding and enjoyable most of the time. The hardest part was meeting the demands of the owners.
friendly workplace with loving animals
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), Wichita, KSJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: friendly co workers and amazing animals
Cons: not very orgainnized managment
A typical day at work would be i go to the puppy room put on scrubs wash and sanitize my hand and start checking charts on all the puppies to see what ones need vaccinations and medicines. Then i would bathe the puppies and make sure all of them have food and water and have a clean environment. Then if a guest would want to see a puppy i would have – more... them go to a room make sure they sanitized there hands and bring the puppy to them so they could play with it. That is a typical work day.

Management is not so organized there are several different managers and normally two on duty every day and they both try and make the other co workers do their jobs.

Co workers there are 10-15 co workers most work on the sales floor trying to sell animals a couple work in the puppy room with me. Some are very good workers they love there job but most are not very friendly and try to boss everyone around to do that co workers job.

The hardest part of the day is closing when everything has to be cleaned up i have a check list of everything that needs done and it all has to be done before i can leave.

The most enjoyable part of the day is getting to interact with the animals and people. Helping the animals find a good home is my favorite part. – less
Awesome Team Work
Pet Counselor (Former Employee), Terre Haute, INDecember 1, 2013
I learned a big deal of teamwork, how to open and close the store. Store set up for holidays. it was just a great place to work overall, it was just seasonal and I miss it still to this day.
Amazing Job
Sales Lead (Former Employee), Westland, MINovember 25, 2013
This job was a great position with a fun staff and great pay and benefits.
Great Atmosphere, very rewarding
Management (Current Employee), Chillicothe, OHNovember 4, 2013
Great atmosphere, very rewarding, but also time consuming. Great place to build a career if you haven't started a family, yet.
Always the place to find your family pet.
Pet Counselor (Former Employee), Rome, GAOctober 28, 2013
Pros: getting to learn about all the animals.
Cons: cleaning up animal poo.
I would go in before the store opened and cleaned all animal cages and aquariums. I then fed all the animals and fish. After the store opened for the day I waited on customers.

1 2 3 4