Petland Employee Reviews

Lots of fun till they tell you to leave your morals at the door
Depatment Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary and Edmonton19 September 2016
Former employee. Long time employee however. 12+ years with them. Great company to work for when we were in Calgary. But the Edmonton side of things is really different. Was going ok until the Store Manager told me to start telling everyone that everything is an amazing product, send fish home to anyone who wants one because who cares, its just a fish. I feel that in a job industry like this, morals and ethics are very important. Needless to say, I left and have stated boycotting the company ever since.

Head office was about the worst idea ever for them. They are very out of touch with what is really happening in a store. The economy hit apparently hit them hard because when it was crunch time it became very clear that it was all about the bottom line in head offices pocket instead of how they can better help their employees.

Your best, will never be good enough. It will be for a time, maybe. But one day that will all change and your best isn't their best anymore and *Poof* your fired.

Never accept a promotion to a department manager. Not only is it about as high a turn over as their entry level Pet Councillors position, the raise in pay is almost non existent. Or completely non existent in my case.

Best part of the job is the animals and the customers. Yes the animals need seemingly constant upkeep which will keep you very busy. But... you get to make sure you find the right people to take home your animals.

A great part-time job. Beware the management system.

Pros: Lots of cute things to cheer you up.
Cons: Management, pay, benefits, unpaid training,
  more... constant micromanaging from off site head office, nobody has proper training and the store level managers are as qualified at their job as the hamsters would be in the same position.  less
fun, interesting, learned a lot
Pet Counsellor Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 February 2017
A typical day at Petland looks like:
When you get there while your first priority is the customers you also want to make sure the animals have the four basic needs; water, food, shelter, and something to do(toys). You also want to make sure that all the enclosures are clean and sanitary as you don't want anything that might be contagious to be passed around.(although that rarely ever happens, better to be safe than sorry)
I learned a lot about certain animals and their habitats and what they might need to survive. I learned that not every person is the right fit for an animal and that you have to be able to communicate that to them without hurting their feelings, for the safety of the animal.
The hardest part of the job would be getting attached to certain animals and then selling them.
The best part of the job was definitely being able to work with animals.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
it wasnt very organized
Productive and fun workplace with a diverse group of employees
Pet Councellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2016
Petland was a great place for a summer job. Working with animals as well as communicating with fellow pet owning customers who are looking for the best for their pet makes for a fun and educational work environment. I learned time management skills, communication skills, and became more educated on various pets and care for pets.

The connections made with co-workers were good, there is a fast turnover of employees which made it easy to meet lots of people, but hard to maintain connections.

The hardest part of the job was sometimes having to lift hard objects, but with time this became easier. The most enjoyable part of the job was making pet owners happy and knowing that I had given them knowledge to make sure their pet would be happy too.
Great enviornment and great people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC4 January 2017
I helped to re-stock shelves, cleaned cages, and worked cash. I learned how to do returns, purchases, and help put away inventory. I loved working with the people at Petland, and loved working with the public
great for starting out
Supervisor, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC10 January 2017
Great for younger people to start there work experience. Too focused on sales and pushing employees to up sell. Stressful for young people to keep up with sales goals.
Incredible coworkers and atmosphere
Pet Counselor (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB15 February 2017
As a pet counsellor you are responsible for the care of the animals and guests. The employees are wonderful and enthusiastic and make you feel welcome.
Great way to improve on social skills and experience in customer service
Pet Councellor And Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 May 2015
-There are many options for the types of shifts available
-Mornings and afternoon shifts are available
-Most of the time used during a shift is used for customer service but you are also able to work with the animals
-This job helped me gain confidence in customer service skills
-The hardest part of this job was to be able to manage my events outside of work with the amount of hours given to me for shifts
-The most enjoyable part of this job was to be able to work with the animals and be able to successfully help customers with their needs
Pros
Discounts, free dog food each month while employed, opportunity to work with the animals
Cons
long hour shifts, salary was not high enough for the amount of work applied
fun and challenging workplace
Fish and Reptile Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB15 October 2016
between the great customers and wonderful staff the job at Petland was pretty informative and taught me a lot about working.
Pros
great staff
Cons
some of the work smells awful
I learned a lot and all the staff and management were amazing
Medicine Hat - Pet Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB4 September 2016
I don't think I will ever work somewhere as amazing as Petland Medicine Hat again. If you don't mind hard work at the beginning, it is very rewarding
Pros
I made another family
Cons
I had to move away
Not a fun place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 August 2016
Management was horrible. The Manager made several employees cry. Upper Managament did not care for the smaller employees and always pressured us to do better. Nothing was ever good enough.
Pros
the animals
Cons
management
great for job experience
pet councilor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 October 2016
helping customer play with the animals and tend to both needs

social skills affiance

productive and well trained

fun and helpfull

reaching gold star on a slow day

playing with animals
Regina store has pets needs as first priority
Petland Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK17 December 2012
I ran the store typically as manager on duty: opening the store, managing staff, reconciling monies and closing the store. The manager in charge when I was first hired took advantage of my salary by promising me a higher wage and then saying it wasn't possible. Though I tried to stand for my rights and he treated me with little respect. He eventually left and store operations ran a lot smoother in respect to employee conflicts or drama (I was not the only one who felt they'd been wronged by him). The job itself is unbelievably rewarding. Learning about animals needs and educating customers on how to create the ultimate human animal bond will forever be rewarding.
Pros
working with animals and other animal lovers, pretty good day to day work incentives (i.e. coffee, pizza). good staff.
Cons
slightly difficult district managing team, very impersonal and nonsympathetic or understanding to in store issues.
decent
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 September 2016
I receved sufficient experience in feeding and walking animals. Also i got to play with puppies and kittens so that made it worth it.
Positive atmosphere
Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON18 April 2016
Overall co-oping at Petland is an experience I will never forget. I learned how to feed and take care of various species of reptiles and mammals. I was able to learn tricks to knowing what size and how much food they could consume. The management and co-workers were kind and helpful. I enjoyed bonding with my co-workers and the animals
fun workplace but not good living
Cashier (Former Employee) –  grande prairie23 October 2012
Petland was a job that made learn how to take animals and it was hard work but fun as well but with 9 dollars salary it wasnt enough so this job was alright I still learned a lot from this jobs
Did not like
Merchandising/Pricing (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2016
Spent an 8 hour shift walking around the store "facing", was not allowed to interact with other staff, store was almost always empty. The days were very long, and boring.
Productive and fun workplace
Small Animals Manager/ Pet Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2016
They train you in how to do your job well and teach you all you need to know about animals and animal care. It is a fun and rewarding place to work and I really enjoyed working here.
socialble co-workers, poor training, minimal hours
Fish & Reptile Pet Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg Manitoba14 June 2015
The job itself I enjoy, I learn a lot from this job but only over time so its harder to get your foot in the door. I liked being able to help others with their pet-caretaker relationship, and caring for the animals was great. The hardest part of the job for me was learning about the fish, and the most enjoyable aspect was caring for the animals, and being able to make Petlands guests happy. Management wasn't very clear or straightforward in some aspects
Pros
fun cooworkers, handling reptiles
Cons
poor scheduling, few shifts, poor training
Terrible place to work!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Canada15 November 2012
DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA. The company likes to make decisions without thinking about them and then a week later change their minds again making things chaotic and very confusing. The policies and procedure manual was essentially just a joke! Head office is a joke. If the company was run better and they had people capable of doing their jobs properly and efficiently I would recommend working for them but until then I would avoid it unless you want to deal with no structure, the politics, and a poorly run head office. The Entire operations team has no clue what they are doing and I really don't think that they are in this for animal welfare. Its all about money.
Pros
the animals you help
Cons
unfair managment. no hr department
Fun place to work at, taking care of animals and interacting with customers and making sure they are educated about animal care
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC22 May 2012
A typical day at Petland would be to reach the end of the day sales target, time management is a must, helping more than one customer at once and being attentive and friendly to everyone without breaking the professionalism aspect of the job. Taking care of the animals, working around their schedule (feeding, bathing, walking, etc.) The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the look on customers faces when I deliver them with exactly what they were looking for.
Pros
animal care education classes

2.7