Petland Employee Reviews

Pretty bad
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 July 2017
Management was really rude. Didn't care for their workers. The whole store itself was gross and filthy, no one wanted to clean anything up. Salary benefits were a joke to be honest. I can't describe how bad the life balance was with this job. One day you had a shift, another you didn't have one but you had one on the schedule. If you couldn't come in they got really mad off and threatened to fire you.

I'm glad I quit, no one deserves what I had to go through,
Pros
Having pets to play around with
Cons
Almost everything
it was good but lacking good management
Fish & reptiles /sales/vet tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2017
This job was by far had the worst management I have experienced in my short career,from the management not telling me when I was not doing something right and then being totally blind sided with a termination notice.this could be this specific management staff I encountered at this particular point in time at this location.
Pros
discounts
Cons
demanding sales goals
Friendly staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB5 June 2017
Staff are excellent people to work with. Working with the animals is very exciting and you learn so much. There are perks when you meet your monthly sales goal. Management is unprofessional and treats their staff as if they're disposable. Pay is very poor and there are rarely raises given out no matter how much you prove yourself.
Pros
Learning about and working with animals. Friendly staff.
Cons
Poor pay and Poor management
It was not very good
On floor sales person (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2017
It was a mess there people and animals being treated poorly. Very moody management and very greedy tactics used. Would not recomend working there.......
The Animals were great!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC3 May 2017
Took care of a wide range of animals, reptiles, birds, fish and cats and dogs. Took care of customers needs regarding their loving pet! Lots of friendly customers
Family friendly atmosphere, great staff to work with.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB2 May 2017
When beginning my employment at Petland Grande Prairie, management was in disarray. We lost both our manager and assistant manager at the same time, so management was left to four supervisors. Four months into the job, a new manager was found and things began to run smoothly, making Petland and even better work environment.
The staff at Petland is extremely pleasant. The whole crew works together well with very little drama between members. This created a family between us, and created a safe environment for coworkers to thrive.
A typical day includes one-on-one experiences with many different kinds of customers, as well as animals, which was the best part of working for Petland. After joining the many college-style courses offered by the company, the knowledge and skills we acquired became extremely useful in dealing with any questions asked by our clients.
The only downside to working for this great company was a lack of hours. With many part-time employees, hours were not guaranteed to the staff.
Pros
Friendly staff, great customers, and lots of one-on-one time with the animals. Great learning experience.
Cons
Not enough hours
work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 April 2017
i do all tasks asked of me such as sweep floor, clean food dishes, take in the new stock and shelve it, empty begs of cat litter into a bin, clean out mats of dust and rocks.
Lovely employees, scary manager
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB13 April 2017
Worked for a very scary manager. She does not have any regard for an employee's life outside the store. I felt anxious, stressed and judged by her on a regular basis. The other employees felt the same and would often vocalize their discontent with her and yet nothing would change.
Pros
Good job culture. The other employees made the job doable
Cons
Long hours, irregular breaks, promise of a raise that was never seen through even after a promotion.
fun place to work with animals
Pet counsellor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB12 March 2017
Animals are well taken care of and the people who work there truly do love every animal and provide the best care. Fish and reptile manager is very knowledgable.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Snakes
great job, very good work ethics
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2017
this job has fantastic, the people, the management were all very professional.
Playing with the animals and the general care that the staff gave to the animals was the best part of this job.
Pros
customer relations
Cons
outdated dress code

Want to know more about Petland?

Ask a question
fun place to work
Pet counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2017
overall fun place to work. managmeant is horrible. they do not respect the diversity in people. when hiring they are racist and homaphoblic. managment needs to change
Pros
fun, relaxing
Cons
family owe, no way to move up in company
Store Level great, Head Office and upper management horrible
Full time PC (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2017
Where to start...

I worked at 2 different stores, for a few different managers. Some managers were amazing - offering training and coaching and fostering a great culture. They cared about the employees, the animals, and the customers. I also saw these managers get treated like dirt by upper management from Calgary and Winnipeg. It was crazy actually how the good managers seemed go get the worst treatment and the horrible managers kept getting promoted! When you dig deeper and find out the INSANE drama and favouritism that happens in upper management, it's no wonder they treat the horrible managers like they do...because they're not a threat. They like to keep the poor managers close and under their "wings" so to speak because they don't push back.

I left because my favourite manager left because she couldn't take it anymore. Head office kept cutting hours but upping sales goals. Keep in mind you still have to care for the animals, and when more hours are cut and there's not many staff to help each other out, goals get missed and EVERYONE feels the stress.

Having worked for other retail companies since, I will say that the training I received at Petland was top notch - from the managers that cared. It a shame that head office is so completely out of touch.
Pros
Customers, animals, coworkers
Cons
Head office/upper management
Love working with the people at petland and the animals. Enjoy going to work but need more stability.
Pet Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2017
Excellent place to work but never know when you are going to work until 1 or 2 days before the work week. makes it difficult to make up hours with other work in fear the may over lap.
Pros
Dealing with the public and animals.
Cons
not enough hours, no regular schedule
Incredible coworkers and atmosphere
Pet Counselor (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB15 February 2017
As a pet counsellor you are responsible for the care of the animals and guests. The employees are wonderful and enthusiastic and make you feel welcome.
fun, interesting, learned a lot
Pet Counsellor Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 February 2017
A typical day at Petland looks like:
When you get there while your first priority is the customers you also want to make sure the animals have the four basic needs; water, food, shelter, and something to do(toys). You also want to make sure that all the enclosures are clean and sanitary as you don't want anything that might be contagious to be passed around.(although that rarely ever happens, better to be safe than sorry)
I learned a lot about certain animals and their habitats and what they might need to survive. I learned that not every person is the right fit for an animal and that you have to be able to communicate that to them without hurting their feelings, for the safety of the animal.
The hardest part of the job would be getting attached to certain animals and then selling them.
The best part of the job was definitely being able to work with animals.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
it wasnt very organized
great for starting out
Supervisor, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC10 January 2017
Great for younger people to start there work experience. Too focused on sales and pushing employees to up sell. Stressful for young people to keep up with sales goals.
Great enviornment and great people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC4 January 2017
I helped to re-stock shelves, cleaned cages, and worked cash. I learned how to do returns, purchases, and help put away inventory. I loved working with the people at Petland, and loved working with the public
fun and challenging workplace
Fish and Reptile Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB15 October 2016
between the great customers and wonderful staff the job at Petland was pretty informative and taught me a lot about working.
Pros
great staff
Cons
some of the work smells awful
great for job experience
pet councilor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 October 2016
helping customer play with the animals and tend to both needs

social skills affiance

productive and well trained

fun and helpfull

reaching gold star on a slow day

playing with animals
Lots of fun till they tell you to leave your morals at the door
Depatment Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary and Edmonton19 September 2016
Former employee. Long time employee however. 12+ years with them. Great company to work for when we were in Calgary. But the Edmonton side of things is really different. Was going ok until the Store Manager told me to start telling everyone that everything is an amazing product, send fish home to anyone who wants one because who cares, its just a fish. I feel that in a job industry like this, morals and ethics are very important. Needless to say, I left and have stated boycotting the company ever since.

Head office was about the worst idea ever for them. They are very out of touch with what is really happening in a store. The economy hit apparently hit them hard because when it was crunch time it became very clear that it was all about the bottom line in head offices pocket instead of how they can better help their employees.

Your best, will never be good enough. It will be for a time, maybe. But one day that will all change and your best isn't their best anymore and *Poof* your fired.

Never accept a promotion to a department manager. Not only is it about as high a turn over as their entry level Pet Councillors position, the raise in pay is almost non existent. Or completely non existent in my case.

Best part of the job is the animals and the customers. Yes the animals need seemingly constant upkeep which will keep you very busy. But... you get to make sure you find the right people to take home your animals.

A great part-time job. Beware the management system.

Pros: Lots of cute things to cheer you up.
Cons: Management, pay, benefits, unpaid training,
  more... constant micromanaging from off site head office, nobody has proper training and the store level managers are as qualified at their job as the hamsters would be in the same position.  less