PETLAND

PETLAND Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good company to work for
Sales person (Former Employee), Prince george bcNovember 8, 2014
Enjoyed my time at petland interesting and nice staff to work with
DO NOT WORK FOR THEM
Former Employee (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 22, 2014
Cons: short shirts, drama, animal cruelty, animal neglect
The managers are terrible. They hire you, then fire you right away for no reason. They don't give you a reason for letting you go, they don't care about the animals. They half do everything, most of their animals are sick. Their birds are aggressive, and no one wants to adopt them. They are suppose to be prepping them for new owners, but most of the bigger birds stay around and are shipped from store to store with NO hand training, no time outside the cage. They lock the cage with an actual bike lock! it is so sad! The birds get no attention. The smaller animals get treated badly. on a typical work day both managers will yell at you, even if you;re doing everything on the list, and more!

They are monsters! PETLAND is a terrible place to work! AND all the pets are WAY over priced! If you want a GREAT pet, that is NOT sick, then go to a breeder, unless you want a cat/dog, then go to the Humane Society, PETLAND are scammers, and are rude! All they want to do is SELL, their birds can be anywhere from 1k to 4k, and the birds are NOT worth that! You can get a BRAND NEW BABY whom is in the parrot family for like $400 - $800. PETLAND is a HUGE scam! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!
Fun and Exciting
PET COUNSELOR (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCJune 2, 2014
The hours are good the people are even better. The bonuses are easy to advance too and the learning never stops. very friendly costumers orientated environment.
Fun work environment
Pet Counsellor (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONDecember 18, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: no room to move up
Busy work environment.
Manage both customer care, as well as animal husbandry and care.
Open and honest work environment.
Many learning opportunities.
Messy Hours Left Little Time for Personal Errands
Pet Specialist (Former Employee), Vernon, BCJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: free pizza for lunch sometimes, employee discount, free bag of dog or cat food (though it must be from specific brands)
Cons: horrible seemingly ever changing hours, no employee education, poor management, not enough pay for amount of duties involved
The hours I was given at Petland were horribly erratic - there was absolutely no dependability of schedule, which meant that despite my best efforts, I was often highly confused, resulting in several times where I was either late or had no idea that I was supposed to be working - or not working. Despite having a recorded schedule for every month, I swear that hours were occasionally changed without my knowledge, for that is how it seemed. The hours were also given inconsiderately - a coworker of mine with a young son who needed weekends off was often given weekend hours to work anyway and I personally often found it difficult to manage errands because of my hours conflicting with the time my ride had available to take me place. I often felt very rushed working here, told to do tasks which were impossible to accomplish in the amount of time that the management wanted us to accomplish them in. I worked very hard at Petland and got little credit for it. Once or twice, I was accused for something which I did not do.

I have worked in the pet industry three times now and this was the worst place. With so many animals to keep track of and clean as well as take care of customers, having to know about all of the said animals in order to help them, this was a much bigger job than the money it offered. You do double duty here - you're half retail salesperson and half animal caretaker/janitor and often the retail side takes over, resulting in less time for the animals who need it. Maintenance in the fish area alone could take all day and it was the heavy duty work which is not easily interrupted, – more... yet it was so constantly. I never felt valued or trusted and it was easily to feel disloyal. Whereas at other pet stores I felt strongly driven to only shop at my store, I was happy to shop elsewhere and since leaving, I have rarely shopped there since. The store has very aggressive sales tactics, making you 'attack dog' customers right at the door and getting in their faces rather than simply greeting them and leaving them alone for a while before returning to them a few minutes later to see if they need any help. There was also an employee who was very religious and I would have liked it if the management would have asked her to keep her beliefs at home as they seemed highly inappropriate in the workplace. There also were not really many opportunities given to the employees so that we could freshen our knowledge about products as very few reps came in and we never went to product seminars. With the nature of this job, what with daily teaching customers, more proactive education of the employees would be very helpful.

On the plus side, the coworkers were pretty great and everyone is quite nice. The pizza rocked! – less
Regina store has pets needs as first priority
Petland Supervisor (Former Employee), Regina, SKDecember 17, 2012
Pros: working with animals and other animal lovers, pretty good day to day work incentives (i.e. coffee, pizza). good staff.
Cons: slightly difficult district managing team, very impersonal and nonsympathetic or understanding to in store issues.
I ran the store typically as manager on duty: opening the store, managing staff, reconciling monies and closing the store. The manager in charge when I was first hired took advantage of my salary by promising me a higher wage and then saying it wasn't possible. Though I tried to stand for my rights and he treated me with little respect. He eventually left and store operations ran a lot smoother in respect to employee conflicts or drama (I was not the only one who felt they'd been wronged by him). The job itself is unbelievably rewarding. Learning about animals needs and educating customers on how to create the ultimate human animal bond will forever be rewarding.
Fast paced busy with fun staff
Pet councellor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 8, 2012
Pros: flexible breaks
Cons: you meet your sales goals or else.
On shift you must take care of a to do list, meet hourly sales goals ( no exeption if the store isnt busy) organise shelves, mop floors and clean up after animals. Fun friendly staff, good managers but it is a retail job, be prepared.
Terrible place to work!
Former Employee (Former Employee), CanadaNovember 15, 2012
Pros: the animals you help
Cons: unfair managment. no hr department
DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA. The company likes to make decisions without thinking about them and then a week later change their minds again making things chaotic and very confusing. The policies and procedure manual was essentially just a joke! Head office is a joke. If the company was run better and they had people capable of doing their jobs properly and efficiently I would recommend working for them but until then I would avoid it unless you want to deal with no structure, the politics, and a poorly run head office. The Entire operations team has no clue what they are doing and I really don't think that they are in this for animal welfare. Its all about money.
fun workplace but not good living
Cashier (Former Employee), grande prairieOctober 23, 2012
Petland was a job that made learn how to take animals and it was hard work but fun as well but with 9 dollars salary it wasnt enough so this job was alright I still learned a lot from this jobs
Overall Great work experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 11, 2012
I loved working in the fast work environment of retail, interacting with people with a great staff to help you get through the day even when it was a tough day. Management was understanding and great at showing the essentials to work in that environment.
Fun place to work at, taking care of animals and interacting with customers and making sure they are educated about animal care
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), White Rock, BCMay 22, 2012
Pros: animal care education classes
A typical day at Petland would be to reach the end of the day sales target, time management is a must, helping more than one customer at once and being attentive and friendly to everyone without breaking the professionalism aspect of the job. Taking care of the animals, working around their schedule (feeding, bathing, walking, etc.) The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the look on customers faces when I deliver them with exactly what they were looking for.
Fun Workplace but bad management
Small Animal Caretaker (Former Employee), Lake Saint Louis, MOJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: always have something to do
Cons: one break a day for 6 hrs or more, management needs improvement, needs better job security
A typical day at work varied, as I was in 2 positions within the company. Small Animal Caretaker was the same tasks every day, clean cages, feed and water animals, clean up my mess. Occasionally there would be a sick animal that needed attention but it never usually took long. As a pet counselor, it was different every day. Customers would come in and be looking at the puppies or the kittens and pet counselors were required to pull out whatever animal they were looking at and take the animal and customer to a play room to play with the animal. If they said no to playing, we were trained to rebuttal their answers with things like "Well this puppy hasn't gotten to play yet today." or "Just for a few minutes?" because the goal was to get the customer to play. Playing means bonding, and bonding means they wouldn't be able to go home without the animal. After the customer decided they wanted to take home the animal, there was a long process in sending it home. Paperwork would need to be filled out, we would need to take them around the store to show them things the new pet would need, and finally the sale.
My Co-workers were for the most part great people, but since it was a commissioned job, of course there was competition. I tended to stay away from the ones who were unfair and worked closely with the ones that I trusted. Management was okay, training was basically obsolete and there were many MANY things that would get you fired on the spot. Most of them were common sense, some of them didn't make sense. There was no job security there because it was either sell or be fired.
Hardest – more... part of the job was overcoming objections to taking home a new pet. Some objections we just couldn't work through, some of them we already had pre-set ways of overcoming them. Other than that, it was a fairly simple job. The most enjoyable part was working with other people who shared a love for animals and getting to converse with customers about previous or current pets and getting to tell stories of my own pets. I also got to play with puppies on a daily basis and one could never go wrong with that! – less
Pet Consular
Pet Consular (Current Employee), Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: 30 minute breaks for over 7 hour shift, play with cute dogs, i have learned how to be a better pet owner and everything about pets
Cons: long shift 9-10 hours
This is my current job at the moment, would like to leave as soon as possible. My job was min wage, however employees can hit commission if they hit over their job. However the goals are impossibles while prices for dogs are 1,500 dollars and up. Costumers think I am insane when I tell them the price. Don't get me wrong I have sold over 100 dogs for the 6 months I have been there. But I do way too much to get min wage.
Excellent company to work for with fun people, employee incentives, commission bonuses and fast career advancement
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Palm Beach Gardens, FLJanuary 16, 2015
This is a great company to work for at entry-level for young people. Requires self motivation, out going personality, love for animals and people skills.
stressful but fun
SENIOR SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 28, 2014
its a fun place to work but its high stress, always be on your toes, and if there is a favorite then they get what they want. Its not always fair but it is cut throat, and you have to be a shark or you'll be bait.
Was a great place to work at
Pet Counselor (Former Employee), Medina, OHOctober 25, 2014
You would try to sell animals to people and figure out the best approach to it
very busy fast paced
Kennel Technician (Former Employee), wichita kansasOctober 22, 2014
Pros: friendly costumers
Cons: horrible managers nasty bug infested place
typical day arrive at work and start cleaning out 40 plus kennels then feeding and watering all the animals. Then giving medications and vaccinations. Then giving toys and mats to the dogs while doing laundry and cleaning windows.

management was horrible some managers always start fights with employee just to get them fired and always yelling at co workers and starting drama not a good place to work at all

The best part was working with all the animals but not the people
Petland
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Kennesaw, GAOctober 16, 2014
The management at Petland is great. I love the atmosphere. It is a place in which you can advance yourself.
Upbeat environment
Pet Counselor (Current Employee), Henderson, NVOctober 13, 2014
Pros: playing with puppies, interacting with customers, enhancing customer knowledge
Cons: short breaks
- Matching the right customer with the right animal for them
- Enhancing customer knowledge
- Closing sales
- Janitorial duties
Friendly & Productive Work Environment
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee), North Olmsted, OHOctober 9, 2014
Working for the Petland franchise was a great experience. It was fulfilling to see people find an animal companion, as well as to take care of the animals before they found a permanent home.

1 2 3 4 5