Pet Valu Employee Reviews in Canada

Can be a fun place to work.
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONDecember 28, 2014
For the first five years I worked there it was a great place to work. It was a very friendly work environment and very customer service oriented. I also love the fact that we dealt with several animal rescues adopting out cats, small animals, and hosting adoption days where we showcased dogs for adoption. Now that there is a new store owner some of the new staff are not as customer service oriented and we have started selling animals instead of getting them from rescues. We still have cats for adoption from a rescue, but no longer small animals. Because each Pet Valu store has different owners whether its corporate or franchise, the work environment in each store tends to be very different. At the start of my job I was required to do some training in animal nutrition which has helped me a lot. Even though I have taken an animal nutrition course in school this went beyond that by teaching me the differences in food qualities, as well as the benefits of different types of food. Overall I had a good work experience at Pet Valu but I feel the work environment is changing.
Happy customers, wonderful place to work
Pet Expert (Current Employee) –  Oakville, On. Hamilton, On.November 19, 2014
I am now well versed in how to take care of many different types of pets, I enjoy both the busy and down times of the job as there are so many things to do and to keep busy. Many customers bring in their animals which makes the day much more enjoyable. Everyone who works within this setting is happy and approachable. There is heavy lifting, but in turn I feel I have become stronger.
Pros
lots of time to work alone, or with others, very flexible to needs
Cons
minimum wage, part time hours
HORRIBLE
Sales Assosicate (Former Employee) –  Pet Valu Kanata, March Rd.November 5, 2014
A typical work day was working extremely long, illegal shifts(Scheduled for shifts where you would be alone for longer than 5 hours without a break), facing product, extreme amounts of heavy lifting, no respect from management just complaints.

Owner was useless and did not know anything about his company not even how to open or close the store if needed in an emergency.

Co-workers were decent, The only plus of the job but a few of them were useless and not provided proper training by management. Management just gossiped about everyone and did ZERO managing what so ever. Kind of the worst I've seen in my years.

Also required to come in on days off for "meetings" that lasted an hour but by law in Ontario when you are called into work you should be paid a minimum of three hours even if only there for an hour.

Paychecks were regularly wrong, as well as stat pay for more than one employee.

Literally ZERO desire to ever work for Pet Valu MARCH RD ever again.
HORRIBLE experience.
Pros
the pets that visit the store
Cons
horrible owner/management
Awful, awful, awful.
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 23, 2014
I worked at Pet Valu for over a year and during that time I had never felt so put off by a workplace. (I worked in retail for over four years before being employed by this store, so I'm pretty well versed in how frustrating customer-facing roles can be. Pet Valu went above and beyond this.)

First off, my interview was conducted in March of 2014 and I was not contacted until August of 2014. The manager at the time called me and said my first day was the next day. (I lated found out I would be replacing someone that was about to be fired.)

Second, the district sales manager is, as someone else said, not the nicest person. (This is a huge understatement.) Myself and three of my colleagues send harassment claims about her to Human Resources. (These claims were never addressed, as far as I've heard.)

My store manager was moved to another store after being given THREE DAYS NOTICE. The new manager was constantly cruel to me and threatened my job weekly. He gave me write-ups for made-up reasons and ridiculed me in front of my co-workers and customers.

When I was hired, my position was sales associate. I was going to school at the time and only wished to work 20 hours a week. I ended up doing many other things such as paperwork, scheduling and the occasional order. I was also given 40 hours a week, even after asking to be given less. Throughout this, I only made minimum wage. In fact, when minimum wage in Manitoba went up from $10 to $10.40 an hour, payroll did not notice or apply the change to my paycheck for four months. They also went on to blame me for not telling them about
  more... minimum wage increases.

In short, Pet Valu is unappreciative and at times, terribly cruel to their front end associates. The only things I enjoyed about my time there were working with and educating people about animals, and some of the other sales associates I made friends with. Aside from that, this place is nothing but trouble.
Pros
animals are fun
Cons
cruel upper management, low pay, long hours
Good learning experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Typical day is facing product and learning product.
Good learning experience about pets, pet products and food.
Management is good to work with and get the job done
Coworkers are fine
Hardest part is rude customers
Enjoyable part is the nice people and interaction with animals
Pros
free lunches
Cons
travelling distance
not a good company
Senior Manager - Operations and Logistics (Current Employee) –  TorontoJune 24, 2014
Company cannot handle change
senior leadership team does not support management
employees on floor holds the company at ransome
Pros
n/a
Cons
no support from senior leadership team
Retail done differently
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2014
A typical day of work consisted of the opening procedure of the store, counting the money, dealing with customers, acting as both the cashier and sales associate, and finally closing the store. That closely summarizes the typical job at Pet-Valu, such as simple and straight-forward, however I would like to add that Pet-Valu is much more than just that. Pet-Valu is a retail job at a much slower pace with the advantage of dealing with the occasional pet that walks in. Mainly, the job consisted of up-selling certain products over others and educating the customer with the best choices.
Advantages consisted of working with sweet and gentle co-workers, as well as having time to relax and have things done at a certain pace. Since Pet-Valu isn't a huge retail store, employees get to meet, interact and work with management on a daily basis and communicate whatever difficulties they may have.
However, I can't say that working at Pet-Valu is perfect either. There is lots to learn while on the job. Training consists of hours of training videos and workbooks to learn the basics of all types of animal nutrition to teach the customers. However without prior knowledge and experience with all types of animals, giving advice to customers regarding certain things can be difficult.
Furthermore, since some locations are franchised and others corporate, there are differences between the two. I have worked in both types, where the franchised owner is on top of everything related to money and as an employee, you learn to be very careful with how you count money. While in corporate, the higher-ups
  more... are constantly changing managers around to where they were better 'suited'. So a big disadvantage would be getting used to dealing with different managers and changes in corporate.  less
Pros
meeting a new animal friends
Cons
higher-up management, constant changes of management
fun place to work. cant move up though
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Courtice, ONJune 3, 2014
good place to work for a highschool student. cant really move up or get a raise. hours arent the best either
Rewarding job with a positive atmosphere.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2014
Customer service with a smile.
Accurate product knowledge.
Booking grooming appointments.
Inventory.
Handling and processing cash and debit/credit.

Best part of this job is the daily interaction with the neighborhood pets.
Pros
neighborhood regulars.
very friendly and productive environment
Helpdesk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 5, 2014
Pet Valu HelpDesk is a very friendly environment to work in. It can get pretty intense with the call volume and technical issues therefore, to have a comfortable environment around you makes things less stressful. People are always greeting one another and assisting with difficult issues. We consider ourselves to be more of a team than anything else. Leadership always plays a role in the work environment and this helps others stay motivated and disciplined in the workplace.
Pros
very open and flexible environment, great manager
Cons
high call volume
Pet Products Retail Company
QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 21, 2014
Pet Food and Supplies manufacturing and retail. Small sized company with good talent in the team.
Pros
smaller teams, quicker decisions
Cons
hard to bring change
Great place to be
Store Manager/ Pet Expert (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKApril 16, 2014
I love working here, love the online training you receive, customer interaction, donations to the local pet charities and adoption days.
Pros
cute animals
Cons
low pay, low hours
loved working with Pet lovers
Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  newmarket,ontarioMarch 20, 2014
Looking for A general management or senior area operations role in a recognized retail or hospitality oriented canadian operation.
Pros
provides great support to the franchisees
Cons
franchisor controls the sale price, when you ready to sale the business.
Fun Loving customers on a daily basis
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Meeting new people and their pets. Helping customers find the best diet for their furry family member. All staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Favourite part is seeing excited pets come in for treats.
The best part-time job I've ever had.
Pet Expert/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 24, 2014
A normal day involves maintaining the store - facing, cleaning, remerchandising, etc.
As pet experts, we provide information to customers about their pets (canines, felines, avian, small animal, and reptile). We answer questions regarding housing, nutrition, play, and even fashion.

The management was outstanding. They took into consideration our suggestions, even letting us take complete lead on some substantial projects. They were approachable, and helpful, and treated you like more than a subordinate.

My co-workers were friendly, and easy to get along with. They were hard workers, and made sure to ask questions when they weren't sure.

I have nothing bad to say about the job at all. It's very enjoyable. The work is not hard, but you need to know a lot about the products, because you want to provide the right answers. Even learning was fun.

Great job.
Pros
friendly staff, casual dress, incentives
Fast paced, never a dull moment with a team of good-humoured people.
Trades Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Royal Crest Court, Markham, OntarioFebruary 10, 2014
- A typical day at work would be meeting deadlines for biweekly invoice pay dates and other projects.
- From my first day at work, I learned how to perform various task according to priorities.
- Management and co-workers work closely together to resolve problems and issues.
- The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is getting the work done at the end of the day or week
Pros
seasonal get together parties, like our annual summer barbecue
Cons
long hours when required
The most enjoyable part of the job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls, New BrunswickJanuary 31, 2014
I had a client who came in not happy with what another company had offered to him. So I ask him all the questions just to be able to know exactly what he was looking for. After an half an hour I finally showed him what he needed and the client left happy. The next day he came back and thank me for the good service and the right product. There's nothing that makes me happier then having a client leaving my store happy. So that is one thing I love about customer service.
I learned that if you give your 100% at your job every day that you will full fill a lot in your life and you learn a lot of things.
Pros
loved my clientele and my co-workers
Cons
the store closed there doors
Fun place to work, but has its flaws
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Goderich, ONJanuary 24, 2014
Pet Valu is an extremely fun place to work, you get to work with animals all day and help people get what's best for there animals. Unfortunately the management in the store I work in is very forgetful and needs reminders of things regularly. For the most part though it is an amazing place to work.
Pros
extreamly friendly work enviroment
Cons
poor managment skills
Productive environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fergus, OnJanuary 14, 2014
I really enjoyed working at Pet Valu, A typical day at work was greeting all the customers as they walk in the door and asking them if they needed any help finding anything, I was also responsible for cleaning the work space (sweep, mop, dust, ect.) I would work alone most days so I was responsible of the whole store, re-stocking shelves, checking out customer, processing returns and helping the customer find what they needed. I learned a lot working at pet valu like how to use the till and money management skills, I also learned about animals and types of food for them. The hardest part of my job was memorizing all the food but after a while it sticks into your brain. My co-workers were very nice and we never had any problems it was a very good working environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I helped a customer find something or understand something because when I saw them happy it made me feel like I helped them and so it made me happy.
Pros
good working environment, friendly people
Cons
not to many customers
Pet Valu was a great place to work people and pet were always a lot of fun
Manager/Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 9, 2014
i loved working at Pet Valu all the staff and owners were great and the customers human and other wise aways a treat