Pet Valu

Pet Valu Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun place to work, other employers were nice and understanding, cute dogs
General Labour (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: nice people, got to work with dogs
Cons: sometimes got bit, stock could get pretty heavy
A typical day here was fun. I got to handle dogs all day and make sure they got clean so that they could get groomed by the professional groomers. I learned a lot more about stocking and costumer service as well as learning how to deal with dogs properly. My co-workers were very nice and understanding even when I didn't know something. We joked around a lot and got along well. The hardest part of the job was when the dogs did not want to listen to me but it was still an enjoyable volunteer experience.
No room for improvement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 21, 2013
Handled customer issues and enjoyed working with animals. Unless you are a franchise owner there is not alot of room for advancement.
Great company
Manager (Current Employee), Kanata, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: staff discounts
Cons: wage
Pet Valu is a great company to work for. They invest a lot of time and money to fully train their staff so they are knowledgeable and courteous. The customers of Pet Valu can feel safe in anything an employee of Pet Valu recommends.
Not happy with management
Store Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 29, 2012
Pros: good pay. nice atmosphere, great product training.
Cons: long hours, short staffed, unpleasent managers.
The higher management does not listen to employee suggestions and puts too much pressure on store managers.
My experience was great except for the fact that my district manager was not very nice, did not give me any praise for my hard work and was always telling me what was best for the store when realistically he was not the one in the store dealing with day to day customers and experiences.
He really made me feel incompetent when I was working my butt off for the company for many years.
Higher management needs to be supervising and training their district managers to be sure they are treating their staff well.
I dreaded speaking to my boss, it was always negative comment after negative comment, sarcasm and no praise.
I had dealt with a few district managers during my employment and 2 of the 3 were not pleasant.

I feel Pet Valu has come a long way after being bought out by a US company. They are doing a good job with revamping stores, opening new stores and focusing on sales.
They should not get so money hungry that they forget about the friendly customer service aspect.
Its all about the customer, greeting them, informing them, asking about their pets..etc.
It should NOT all be about selling them higher priced merchandise and more and more items.
Productive work place.
Cashier, Customer Service (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 14, 2012
You learn the importance of great customer service and respect.
Awesome and fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2012
Pros: fun environment, pets in the store, good management.
Cons: job performance reviews, heavy trucks.
Working at Pet Valu was such a great experience. I learned so much about pets and their nutritional needs as well as their everyday needs. The customers were great and the staff was fun as well. Management really cared about their employees except when it came to raises.
My experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2012
I love working with the animals and the regular customers. I learned a lot about animals and myself while working for Pet Valu.
worked with some great people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJune 27, 2012
Pros: paid lunch
Cons: unloading the truck by hand.....no room for a forklift! :)
I worked in all areas of the store from opening to running cash, sales, ordering inventory, stocking shelves, supervising staff, dealing with returns and complaints, all the way to closing up and making the night deposit.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the people I worked with. We just had a reunion this past summer and we all still keep in touch. We were very close!!!

About Pet Valu

The Pet Valu family of stores includes Pet Valu, Paulmac’s Pet Food and Bosley’s, and together they are one of the – Read more