Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Awesome and fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2012
Working at Pet Valu was such a great experience. I learned so much about pets and their nutritional needs as well as their everyday needs. The customers were great and the staff was fun as well. Management really cared about their employees except when it came to raises.
Pros
fun environment, pets in the store, good management.
Cons
job performance reviews, heavy trucks.
Ideal place to work for student
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK2 May 2016
Very good environment nice employees and good hours so that school isn`t interfered with. Customers often very nice and opportunity to interact with pets is a bonus
Pros
Good leniant hours for school
Cons
sometimes not enough hours as i`d like
Productive, sufficient and fun environment to work in.
Sales Representative and Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON30 March 2016
A typical day at work involves the normal sales associate duties such as helping customers, assisting co-workers with tasks, and perform duties assigned in the store. I have learned a lot about how to properly care for domesticated animals, what the best diets, treats, suitable toys are and more. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers create the best life for their pets in regards to their health and well-being. We get to do this by providing products that enhance the care given to the animal along with a proper diet.
Not happy with management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 August 2012
The higher management does not listen to employee suggestions and puts too much pressure on store managers.
My experience was great except for the fact that my district manager was not very nice, did not give me any praise for my hard work and was always telling me what was best for the store when realistically he was not the one in the store dealing with day to day customers and experiences.
He really made me feel incompetent when I was working my butt off for the company for many years.
Higher management needs to be supervising and training their district managers to be sure they are treating their staff well.
I dreaded speaking to my boss, it was always negative comment after negative comment, sarcasm and no praise.
I had dealt with a few district managers during my employment and 2 of the 3 were not pleasant.

I feel Pet Valu has come a long way after being bought out by a US company. They are doing a good job with revamping stores, opening new stores and focusing on sales.
They should not get so money hungry that they forget about the friendly customer service aspect.
Its all about the customer, greeting them, informing them, asking about their pets..etc.
It should NOT all be about selling them higher priced merchandise and more and more items.
Pros
good pay. nice atmosphere, great product training.
Cons
long hours, short staffed, unpleasent managers.
Hard work, but excellent training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 June 2013
**I worked for Pet Valu the corporation, not a franchise. This review is strictly based on working at a corporate location. **

Pet Valu has an excellent training program. I felt very confident with the knowledge they armed me with for dealing with customers. They had exams that every employee was required to take, as well as seminars that were put on by the different pet food companies.

It can be a lot of hard work. It's not just front end work like a lot of people expect. A lot of it is dealing with delivery; hauling bag after bag of 40lb dog food bags (or cat litter!) onto shelves that are well over your head.

Pet Valu, for an 8 hour shift, gives you one unpaid 30 min break...and that's it. They say that you can have 2 15's...but if you try and take one you're in a lot of trouble. You're constantly on call (no matter what your position is), the district manager (at the time) was not a very nice person (trying to be polite here). That's not just my opinion, it was known chain-wide.

Basically it's a good place to work if you don't mind being used a bit. They do teach you a lot about nutrition, but they work you like a dog and pay you very little for it.

Oh, and corporate sold our store to a franchiser even though they promised they wouldn't...so job security is kind of shaky.
Pros
Training program
Cons
Salary, Delivery, Inflexible with shifts
Low pay, negative work experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC29 February 2016
Part time customer service job, like working with customers and their pets. Negative management, nothing acceptable, constant negative comments on everything. Cares mostly about cleaning rather than customers, which is not what the company goal is about. Will only pay minimum wage, will not negotiate, if you want to do the company training, you have to do it at home, won't pay for that.
Pros
See pets
Cons
Negative work environment
Great Managment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  bc11 June 2015
Love the company, training, products and the management! The co workers are great and its a fun place to work. However, salary is low and its hard to advance I was told by feller co workers. Still rate high.
Great Environment
Sales Associate/ retail (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 June 2016
I love the working environment. The people and customers are amazing. I have a passion for animals so it makes work fun. I learned so much about animals and animal health. Hardest part would online be re-stocking cans because it is so time consuming.
A Day in the Life at Pet Valu
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ON29 March 2016
A typical day working at Pet Valu consists of a fun working environment where the team members work together to accomplish the set goals of the day. Working here, I have gained many skills from interpersonal skills to handling cash and merchandising. The most enjoyable part of this job is communicating with customers, and providing them with the knowledge necessary to make appropriate decisions when talking about different pet foods.
One of the most enjoyable jobs!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB26 May 2016
It's a fun atmosphere that promotes learning and educating customers. Getting to interact with a variety of people and animals on a daily basis is the best part of the job!!
Horrible place to work
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario27 November 2015
Took this job as I love helping people and ensuring pets can have the highest quality of life possible. This place was a nightmare. The manager did nothing but bully an belittle staff members, and going into work everyday was horrible as you knew what you were going into. The only good thing about the job was the co-workers. Made complaints to higher up management and nothing was done, which I have heard happens all the time. Save your self the headache as you are only paid minimum wage, and the amount and whats expected of you is way to high.
Pros
co-workers, seeing pets daily
Cons
Management, duties too much for pay level
fun place to work. cant move up though
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Courtice, ON3 June 2014
good place to work for a highschool student. cant really move up or get a raise. hours arent the best either
10 years of sercive at pet valu
Store owner Pet Valu (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB19 April 2016
Enjoy helping customers
Love seeing customers pets
Participated in fun off site events
Hardest was hiring good staff that wanted to learn the products
learned lots about nutrition
Awesome place to work
Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2013
Loved working here, it was great! I had fun and loved the people and customers!!
Pros
Helping Rescues
Cons
No Benefits
AVOID if possible, unethical company!
Manager (Former Employee) –  ontario, Canada23 February 2015
Work/Life Balance: if you're a store manager or district manager, there is no balance at all....Pet Valu monopolizes your time. It's not uncommon for managers and DMs to receive calls, emails and texts multiple times on their days off. Additionally, new hires are expected to complete over 40 hours of online training UNPAID and on their own time!

Salary: very low considering the expectations for store staff and managers. Manager's wages are based on store's sales, so if you have the misfortune of landing a low volume store, your wage will reflect (even though that is beyond your control and you're still do the same amount of work as someone managing a high volume store). In franchise stores the owners set the wages and this can either work in the employee’s favor or disadvantage depending on the franchisee, Head Office does not regulate franchise wages.

Job Security/Advancement: as a company, Pet Valu rarely promotes from within, turnover is alarmingly high-even for retail- and as an employee you do not feel valued. It's a very stressful place to work because you never know from one day to the next if you will be fired. It appears great employees are terminated for no reason...often.

Management: some store managers are worried about keeping their jobs while others do a terrible job and are kept on for some bizarre reason. The management styles of store managers vary from store to store, some are more positive (usually newer managers) while others are all doom and gloom. As for district managers, they each have their own agenda and will help store managers if it 'works
  more... into their plans' (I've heard that term used countless times). If it's not to the district manager's benefit, they will not help store managers grow with the company and in store instances, will actively prevent managers from moving up.

Training: very outdated methods, lack of in store training. The corporate recruiter has never worked in a store and creates training 'checklists' from her desk at head office. Franchise owners are given a very involved training program but it is up to them to implement the training in their stores and pass the information onto their team and often times they don’t, which leaves staff confused and unclear on the expectations and execution of tasks.

Job Culture: unpleasant, everyone has their own agendas, a lot of gossip. If your Manager or District Manager doesn't want you to move up in the company...you won't. As mentioned previously, it's a stressful place to work because you're always looking over your shoulder and wondering if you're going to be next to get fired. Most stores have small teams and there have been several times when staff has to receive either part, or an entire, truck alone due to being short handed. Head Office provides very little support to stores and managers are pretty much on their own. The mentality at the store level is very much “corporate vs. franchise.” Pet Valu does an excellent job of bending over backwards to accommodate the franchisees’ needs/wants, but at the expense of corporate stores.
Pros
Great nutritional training
Cons
Everything else about the company
Great place to START your working career
Cashier/Stocked Shelves (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 February 2016
Fun place to work during High School
Lots of Down time to do Homework.
Not very busy family owned business.
Lots of knowledge on Pets and there food.
Pros
Payed Lunches. Great Hours, Friendly Staff
Cons
Family Owned Business, Small Business, Lower than Minimum wage Pay/hour
Educational environment with focus on customer satisfaction and pet health
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Renfrew, ON9 January 2015
I had grown up wanting to work at "the pet store" (Pet Valu) as animals are not only a passion for me but a hobby. So saying I love my job is very much true. I love the close relationships you can nurture with regular customers and the opportunities you get to learn as much as you can about the products you are selling. Pet Valu offers a lot of knowledgeable information on Pet health and nutrition so our customers can be confident in what they are buying.

Being in a small store with less staff has proven beneficial as it provides a more trusting and fun environment but has also proven to be difficult to cover staff when one or more are sick.

The hardest part of my job, oddly enough, has nothing to do with the work I am to do on a daily basis and what is expected of me but the total lack of effort on Pet Valu's part towards their employees. It saddened me to see Pet Valu take a different approach and direction as it seems to be losing focus not only on it's employees but the customers as more pressure is pushed on employees to force customers to buy more. This proves hard when from a small town and most of the customers are regulars. I will have worked with the company 5 years in April 2015 and despite my best efforts and proving (by taking over an managers position for 3 months while keeping the store running smoothly) myself It seems almost impossible to advance within the company any further.

They keep their employees trapped at part-time where wage raises are capped without further hope to gain more, where the work load is more then what you are paid. As I previously
  more... stated I have been with the company happily for 5 years April, I am still currently at minimum wage. This does not offer me much choice in having to rethink my future with the Pet Valu company which is very regretful as I love this job.

The most enjoyable part of my job is definitely the customers and their pets. I love getting to know the people who come into the store and making both their pet and them happy. The great learning opportunity Pet Valu offers is great as well.
Pros
Friendly Atmosphere, Small workforce, Great Customers
Cons
Minimum wage, No benefits unless Full-time, Rarely hire full-time, Management hard to contact
Fast paced, never a dull moment with a team of good-humoured people.
Trades Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Royal Crest Court, Markham, Ontario10 February 2014
- A typical day at work would be meeting deadlines for biweekly invoice pay dates and other projects.
- From my first day at work, I learned how to perform various task according to priorities.
- Management and co-workers work closely together to resolve problems and issues.
- The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is getting the work done at the end of the day or week
Pros
seasonal get together parties, like our annual summer barbecue
Cons
long hours when required
Management needs an overhaul!
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, Ontario25 May 2015
Store manager was unable to keep staff on a consistent schedule with similar hours week to week. Store manager would ask you if you're interested in full-time but never advance you along, just a pass off their daily duties onto you with no incentive, advancement or appreciation. Store manager does not follow the Company's guidelines because they're too busy trying to impress corporate and the District Sales Manager. Store manager does not do training in Grimsby location, pawned off onto other staff then lays blame when something goes wrong or a mistake occurs.

For a staff of 5-6, the amount of rumours and gossip amongst staff, about customers and even the rescues they work with was unreal.
Pros
playing with the rescue cat
Cons
female left working alone for 6+ hours to close
Friendly and easy going with knives in back
project manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON1 December 2015
management often aloof and unsure of what day to day looks like for other employees.

Clear goals were not set, but expectation revealed after job complete.
Often did not know how well you were doing until job nearly finished.
Pros
Easygoing with hours
Cons
will not review performance honestly

2.6