Pet Valu Employee Reviews

nice place to work
Bookkeeper for 2 independent small businesses (Current Employee) –  North Bay24 September 2015
great people,
very knowledgeable about pets and foods
great pricing
great working hours
good looking store always clean
good inventory always have what I need
found franchise owner to be in conflict
Manager/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Second Line Sault Ste Marie , Pet Food Store13 September 2015
The job was enjoyable however the owner was difficult to work with. I tried to follow all requirements however they were unable to accept any other opinion. Could not work for a company that would be detrimental to its customers and employees. This was not an environment that promoted loyalty, confidence in management, trust, and integrity. These are all attributes that I look for in a company
Pros
diverse customers
Cons
unable to trust management
Wonderful place to work
Retail Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON9 September 2015
I've learnt so much about customer service as well as animals in my time working here. The atmosphere is wonderful and the staff are very friendly.
Lots of perks
Retail Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 August 2015
Great Employers if you're a hard working individual capable of the demanding tasks of the job. Never a dull moment. The dogs are great to see.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
no cons
Enjoyable and a learning experience
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 August 2015
A typical day at Pet Valu would be, I would go in around noon and help with bathing the owners dogs as well as cutting their nails if they needed them done. I would also walk around the store examining the different products and interact with the customers. What I have learned here is where all the different products are located as well as helping customers find what they are looking for if I know where it is.
Good place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON14 August 2015
Pet Valu was a great place to work. Although when I worked there, I was alone. That was the only downfall. Other than that, the customers were wonderful and my coworkers were very welcoming and helpful.
Pros
I love animals, so hearing customers stories always made my day.
Cons
Being by myself
Did not like working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB29 July 2015
The only good employees were the assistant manager and another sales associate as well as the dog groomer. Very small staff, owner was not able to see how her manager was verbally abusing employees and degrading them on a daily basis. Miserable experience, only pros were the customers and their pets.
Pros
Friendly customer, nice assistant manager, seeing pets all day
Cons
Horrible manager and owner
Great workplace , no job advancement
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Alberta15 July 2015
Petvalu is a wonderful company to work for, especially if you have an amazing manager like I did. My manager had endless knowledge that was open minded and not one sided. The biggest con, you could lose your job at any time if your not a franchise. And If your upper boss doesn't like you (not for work ethic) but on a personal level . No matter how hard your manager tries you will never move up and get horrible excuses why you aren't .
Pros
My manager, knowledge, working with animals/ rescues, most of your regulars
Cons
Upper management, drama, no advancement, no benefits
Fun place to work and gain customer service
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2015
I learned how to deal with situations dealing with customers that I wouldn't be able to learn anywhere else. My money skills got better. I grew as a person at Pet Valu but after 5 years im ready to learn new skills in a new job.
Great customers, and wonderful to be around animals all day long.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 June 2015
- Great customers
- Fast-paced work
- Ability to gain real experience
- Get to be around animals
- Constant change
- Long hours
- Competitive
Great Company to expand personal knowledge, with some limitation for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON21 June 2015
I have loved working for Pet Valu, and have attained an extensive amount of knowledge about proper pet care and nutrition. This far exceeded my expectations and before I knew it, I was solving health issues for pets that often times hadn't even been solved by the customer's vet. I also learned how to create better customer relationships and sales techniques as they truly encouraged selling with passion. My only setback with Pet Valu is that they are only able to have one full time employee (Who already has 10+ years of experience and they intend to keep her) which doesn't provide any opportunity to grow with the company, as I so wish I could. The other team members there are excellent which provides for a great work environment. This job is overall extremely rewarding as many animals are helped, along with their owners. We also provided many homes for animals currently in local rescues, shelters, and foster homes. I am proud to say Pet Valu has donated an extensive amount of money, time, and pet supplies to these shelters too. As well, using their location as a host for the rescues to have adoption events.
Pros
Great environment, excellent training, well informed and knowledgeable staff, Passion for animals
Cons
management, little opportunity for growth
Great Managment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  bc11 June 2015
Love the company, training, products and the management! The co workers are great and its a fun place to work. However, salary is low and its hard to advance I was told by feller co workers. Still rate high.
Management needs an overhaul!
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, Ontario25 May 2015
Store manager was unable to keep staff on a consistent schedule with similar hours week to week. Store manager would ask you if you're interested in full-time but never advance you along, just a pass off their daily duties onto you with no incentive, advancement or appreciation. Store manager does not follow the Company's guidelines because they're too busy trying to impress corporate and the District Sales Manager. Store manager does not do training in Grimsby location, pawned off onto other staff then lays blame when something goes wrong or a mistake occurs.

For a staff of 5-6, the amount of rumours and gossip amongst staff, about customers and even the rescues they work with was unreal.
Pros
playing with the rescue cat
Cons
female left working alone for 6+ hours to close
Wonderful meeting new people and seeing regulars and interacting with their pets
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON19 April 2015
I've thoroughly enjoyed worked for the Pet Valu location. I've learned so much more in terms of customer service and have acquired very much knowledge in resolving issues and to accommodate the best solution possible for any customer.
I am a pet person, so I also loved seeing peoples pets come in the store as well as connect with their owners and engage in friendly conversation.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
had to rely on someone to provide transportation
Fun to work at
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON18 April 2015
Working on a day to day bases was amazing there are sometimes where you are busy sometimes where you are slow and sometimes where there are no customers at all, this is a nice balance, it gives you the time to clean the store and put things away but it also doesn't leave you bored. I learned a lot and still learn a lot working in this job, when I first started I had to do about 16 hours of training just to start working and we continue to learn about new things new products and how to help in every day work life. My manager was the best manager i could have ever asked for or wanted. My manager is very understanding, compassionate and sensitive towards his customers and his employees. My co-workers were good I created a bond with them while working with them. the hardest part of the job is when a customer is just out to prove that they know more about a product then you. I have had this happen to me several time just cause you a food on a commercial doesn't mean it is the best food alive for your dog or cat. In these situation it can become very frustrating as I know what the wrong type of food can do to your cat and/or dog. Another part of the job that is hard is when people come into the store and they may not be treating the dog in the best way possible, unfortunately there is nothing that you can do for that dog and have to just try and get the owner to understand that a dog should be treated like one of the family. Now the most ENJOYABLE part of the job was see dogs come into the store and walk out happy and proud. At the pet valu that i work at there is a self serve dog  more... wash, dogs come in all muddy and dirty and walk out nice and clean. Also you get a ton of doggy kisses and doggy love.  less
Pros
tons of dogs, really good manager, good hours
Cons
small back room
Was like a second home to me
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 April 2015
I very much enjoyed working here because the staff were like family and I love animals. I enjoyed all the knowledge that was required to work there. The regular customers were a treat and I miss working in this type of environment.
Fun place to work. Very knowledgeable people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 March 2015
People who work at pet valu are very loving and caring. Always ensuring your pet is receiving the proper nutrition it needs.
Fun workplace with regular customers and pets who brighten your day.
Storefront (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON22 March 2015
Most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. Both the people and their pets who come into the store become part of you and the good store atmosphere.

Management was very unorganized which resulted in an unorganized store and no personal connection.

Lot of responsibility put onto individual employees, however, I was able to learn a lot from this.

Job included Greeting and assist customers, making recommendations.  ­ Creating and organizing displays,   ­ Placing orders, stocking shelves and keeping track of inventory, and opening or closing store independently.
Pros
Flexiable hours, good co-workers
Cons
Poor management and organization
Was a great place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2015
It was a great time in my life. The owner is still a close friend. Being retail it was tough with some of the customers, but overall a great experience.
Pros
Very relaxed work atmosphere
Cons
Not great pay
AVOID if possible, unethical company!
Manager (Former Employee) –  ontario, Canada23 February 2015
Work/Life Balance: if you're a store manager or district manager, there is no balance at all....Pet Valu monopolizes your time. It's not uncommon for managers and DMs to receive calls, emails and texts multiple times on their days off. Additionally, new hires are expected to complete over 40 hours of online training UNPAID and on their own time!

Salary: very low considering the expectations for store staff and managers. Manager's wages are based on store's sales, so if you have the misfortune of landing a low volume store, your wage will reflect (even though that is beyond your control and you're still do the same amount of work as someone managing a high volume store). In franchise stores the owners set the wages and this can either work in the employee’s favor or disadvantage depending on the franchisee, Head Office does not regulate franchise wages.

Job Security/Advancement: as a company, Pet Valu rarely promotes from within, turnover is alarmingly high-even for retail- and as an employee you do not feel valued. It's a very stressful place to work because you never know from one day to the next if you will be fired. It appears great employees are terminated for no reason...often.

Management: some store managers are worried about keeping their jobs while others do a terrible job and are kept on for some bizarre reason. The management styles of store managers vary from store to store, some are more positive (usually newer managers) while others are all doom and gloom. As for district managers, they each have their own agenda and will help store managers if it 'works
  more... into their plans' (I've heard that term used countless times). If it's not to the district manager's benefit, they will not help store managers grow with the company and in store instances, will actively prevent managers from moving up.

Training: very outdated methods, lack of in store training. The corporate recruiter has never worked in a store and creates training 'checklists' from her desk at head office. Franchise owners are given a very involved training program but it is up to them to implement the training in their stores and pass the information onto their team and often times they don’t, which leaves staff confused and unclear on the expectations and execution of tasks.

Job Culture: unpleasant, everyone has their own agendas, a lot of gossip. If your Manager or District Manager doesn't want you to move up in the company...you won't. As mentioned previously, it's a stressful place to work because you're always looking over your shoulder and wondering if you're going to be next to get fired. Most stores have small teams and there have been several times when staff has to receive either part, or an entire, truck alone due to being short handed. Head Office provides very little support to stores and managers are pretty much on their own. The mentality at the store level is very much “corporate vs. franchise.” Pet Valu does an excellent job of bending over backwards to accommodate the franchisees’ needs/wants, but at the expense of corporate stores.
Pros
Great nutritional training
Cons
Everything else about the company

2.6