Pet Valu Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Fun to work at
Cashier (Current Employee), Whitby, ONApril 18, 2015
Pros: tons of dogs, really good manager, good hours
Cons: small back room
Working on a day to day bases was amazing there are sometimes where you are busy sometimes where you are slow and sometimes where there are no customers at all, this is a nice balance, it gives you the time to clean the store and put things away but it also doesn't leave you bored. I learned a lot and still learn a lot working in this job, when I first started I had to do about 16 hours of training just to start working and we continue to learn about new things new products and how to help in every day work life. My manager was the best manager i could have ever asked for or wanted. My manager is very understanding, compassionate and sensitive towards his customers and his employees. My co-workers were good I created a bond with them while working with them. the hardest part of the job is when a customer is just out to prove that they know more about a product then you. I have had this happen to me several time just cause you a food on a commercial doesn't mean it is the best food alive for your dog or cat. In these situation it can become very frustrating as I know what the wrong type of food can do to your cat and/or dog. Another part of the job that is hard is when people come into the store and they may not be treating the dog in the best way possible, unfortunately there is nothing that you can do for that dog and have to just try and get the owner to understand that a dog should be treated like one of the family. Now the most ENJOYABLE part of the job was see dogs come into the store and walk out happy and proud. At the pet valu that i work at there is a self serve dog – more... wash, dogs come in all muddy and dirty and walk out nice and clean. Also you get a ton of doggy kisses and doggy love. – less
Was like a second home to me
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 10, 2015
I very much enjoyed working here because the staff were like family and I love animals. I enjoyed all the knowledge that was required to work there. The regular customers were a treat and I miss working in this type of environment.
“Wow, If you want to work here, get your head examined!”
Sales Associate, Temporary (1 year contract) (Former Employee), Arnprior, ONMay 22, 2013
Pros: great educational experience. lot of learning with online training-however done on your time!
Cons: see above!
Sales Associate, Temporary (1 year contract)-this current post (May 2013) for store 2130 in Arnprior is an advertisement for my former job.

Worked here for 1 year and a few months...with no idea of when contract was actually up, and no commitment from District Manager!!! If you want to do all the work, with no help from fellow staff..then this is the job for you. Do not expect flexibility with this position. Do not expect to have time off with this position.

Poor Management, disrespectful, rude district manager, no concern for staff or staff needs. Pathetic pay with even more pathetic pay increases. Difficult to get paperwork out of upper management. Expect long hours. Expect no time off. Expect no weekends off. Expect no home or personal life. Expect difficulties if you challenge any of these!

Advice to Senior Management – Get a grip! Pay workers what they deserve, that's more incentive than any! And a pat on the back once in a while wouldn't go amiss either! Lighten up on your staff and allow more flexibility...I took this job on the understanding of occasional weekends, not EVERY weekend.
The best part-time job I've ever had.
Pet Expert/Customer Service (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, casual dress, incentives
A normal day involves maintaining the store - facing, cleaning, remerchandising, etc.
As pet experts, we provide information to customers about their pets (canines, felines, avian, small animal, and reptile). We answer questions regarding housing, nutrition, play, and even fashion.

The management was outstanding. They took into consideration our suggestions, even letting us take complete lead on some substantial projects. They were approachable, and helpful, and treated you like more than a subordinate.

My co-workers were friendly, and easy to get along with. They were hard workers, and made sure to ask questions when they weren't sure.

I have nothing bad to say about the job at all. It's very enjoyable. The work is not hard, but you need to know a lot about the products, because you want to provide the right answers. Even learning was fun.

Great job.
Awful, awful, awful.
Keyholder (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 23, 2014
Pros: animals are fun
Cons: cruel upper management, low pay, long hours
I worked at Pet Valu for over a year and during that time I had never felt so put off by a workplace. (I worked in retail for over four years before being employed by this store, so I'm pretty well versed in how frustrating customer-facing roles can be. Pet Valu went above and beyond this.)

First off, my interview was conducted in March of 2014 and I was not contacted until August of 2014. The manager at the time called me and said my first day was the next day. (I lated found out I would be replacing someone that was about to be fired.)

Second, the district sales manager is, as someone else said, not the nicest person. (This is a huge understatement.) Myself and three of my colleagues send harassment claims about her to Human Resources. (These claims were never addressed, as far as I've heard.)

My store manager was moved to another store after being given THREE DAYS NOTICE. The new manager was constantly cruel to me and threatened my job weekly. He gave me write-ups for made-up reasons and ridiculed me in front of my co-workers and customers.

When I was hired, my position was sales associate. I was going to school at the time and only wished to work 20 hours a week. I ended up doing many other things such as paperwork, scheduling and the occasional order. I was also given 40 hours a week, even after asking to be given less. Throughout this, I only made minimum wage. In fact, when minimum wage in Manitoba went up from $10 to $10.40 an hour, payroll did not notice or apply the change to my paycheck for four months. They also went on to blame me for not telling them about – more... minimum wage increases.

In short, Pet Valu is unappreciative and at times, terribly cruel to their front end associates. The only things I enjoyed about my time there were working with and educating people about animals, and some of the other sales associates I made friends with. Aside from that, this place is nothing but trouble. – less
Productive environment
Customer Service (Former Employee), Fergus, OnJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: good working environment, friendly people
Cons: not to many customers
I really enjoyed working at Pet Valu, A typical day at work was greeting all the customers as they walk in the door and asking them if they needed any help finding anything, I was also responsible for cleaning the work space (sweep, mop, dust, ect.) I would work alone most days so I was responsible of the whole store, re-stocking shelves, checking out customer, processing returns and helping the customer find what they needed. I learned a lot working at pet valu like how to use the till and money management skills, I also learned about animals and types of food for them. The hardest part of my job was memorizing all the food but after a while it sticks into your brain. My co-workers were very nice and we never had any problems it was a very good working environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I helped a customer find something or understand something because when I saw them happy it made me feel like I helped them and so it made me happy.
Was a great place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
Pros: very relaxed work atmosphere
Cons: not great pay
It was a great time in my life. The owner is still a close friend. Being retail it was tough with some of the customers, but overall a great experience.
Happy customers, wonderful place to work
Pet Expert (Current Employee), Oakville, On. Hamilton, On.November 19, 2014
Pros: lots of time to work alone, or with others, very flexible to needs
Cons: minimum wage, part time hours
I am now well versed in how to take care of many different types of pets, I enjoy both the busy and down times of the job as there are so many things to do and to keep busy. Many customers bring in their animals which makes the day much more enjoyable. Everyone who works within this setting is happy and approachable. There is heavy lifting, but in turn I feel I have become stronger.
Fun place to work. Very knowledgeable people
Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 24, 2015
People who work at pet valu are very loving and caring. Always ensuring your pet is receiving the proper nutrition it needs.
My experience
Cashier/Sales (Current Employee), Dunnville OntarioAugust 14, 2013
Cons: not enough hours/ poor pay
Working at Pet Valu there are many responsibilities.

A typical day at work for me is making sure the animals have fresh food and water and their cages are presentable for when customers come into the store.

I have learned many new things about different types of animals and nutritional facts about them so I can provide my best knowledge to any questions a customer may have, about what certain foods or medications they are thinking about for their animal.

The management at Pet Valu is great. Being a corporate store we do have a lot of pressure on us to meet certain sale requirements and if we aren't meeting them there is always a lot of help to try new things to find what will work best for all of us employees.

My co- workers are great, we all get along and we all work together to get the job done!

The hardest part of my job is when my manager is away on holidays, I take on most of the responsibilities to make sure the store is kept the way is should be.

The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with new people everyday, helping them, listening to them, and also meeting there pets.
Good learning experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: travelling distance
Typical day is facing product and learning product.
Good learning experience about pets, pet products and food.
Management is good to work with and get the job done
Coworkers are fine
Hardest part is rude customers
Enjoyable part is the nice people and interaction with animals
The most enjoyable part of the job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Grand Falls, New BrunswickJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: loved my clientele and my co-workers
Cons: the store closed there doors
I had a client who came in not happy with what another company had offered to him. So I ask him all the questions just to be able to know exactly what he was looking for. After an half an hour I finally showed him what he needed and the client left happy. The next day he came back and thank me for the good service and the right product. There's nothing that makes me happier then having a client leaving my store happy. So that is one thing I love about customer service.
I learned that if you give your 100% at your job every day that you will full fill a lot in your life and you learn a lot of things.
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier/Keyholder (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 1, 2013
Pros: dealing with animals
Cons: working alone
Assisting customers with product information, answering phones, cleaning the store, restocking product.
It was a very small place to work, with a few employees. Everyone was very close and like a family. Management was amazing and extremely understanding.
There was nothing overly difficult about this job that stands out.
Everything about this job was enjoyable, working with animals and the customers.
excellent job
MANAGER (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABJanuary 16, 2015
I had many tasks but every day was different. Key focus was customer satisfaction to the highest level. I learned a lot about how to meet sales goals and how to motivate staff to also meet these goals.
very friendly and productive environment
Helpdesk Analyst (Current Employee), Markham, ONMay 5, 2014
Pros: very open and flexible environment, great manager
Cons: high call volume
Pet Valu HelpDesk is a very friendly environment to work in. It can get pretty intense with the call volume and technical issues therefore, to have a comfortable environment around you makes things less stressful. People are always greeting one another and assisting with difficult issues. We consider ourselves to be more of a team than anything else. Leadership always plays a role in the work environment and this helps others stay motivated and disciplined in the workplace.
fun place to work, other employers were nice and understanding, cute dogs
General Labour (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: nice people, got to work with dogs
Cons: sometimes got bit, stock could get pretty heavy
A typical day here was fun. I got to handle dogs all day and make sure they got clean so that they could get groomed by the professional groomers. I learned a lot more about stocking and costumer service as well as learning how to deal with dogs properly. My co-workers were very nice and understanding even when I didn't know something. We joked around a lot and got along well. The hardest part of the job was when the dogs did not want to listen to me but it was still an enjoyable volunteer experience.
Fun place to work, but has its flaws
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Goderich, ONJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: extreamly friendly work enviroment
Cons: poor managment skills
Pet Valu is an extremely fun place to work, you get to work with animals all day and help people get what's best for there animals. Unfortunately the management in the store I work in is very forgetful and needs reminders of things regularly. For the most part though it is an amazing place to work.
Great place to work!!!
Key Holder (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 13, 2013
Pros: meeting pets, long hours, lots of shifts
Cons: delivery - some items are very heavy
You get to meet pets and their parents all day long and provide necessary information and advice for their pets needs. Very fun place to work!
loved working with Pet lovers
Owner Operator (Former Employee), newmarket,ontarioMarch 20, 2014
Pros: provides great support to the franchisees
Cons: franchisor controls the sale price, when you ready to sale the business.
Looking for A general management or senior area operations role in a recognized retail or hospitality oriented canadian operation.
not a good company
Senior Manager - Operations and Logistics (Current Employee), TorontoJune 24, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: no support from senior leadership team
Company cannot handle change
senior leadership team does not support management
employees on floor holds the company at ransome