Pet Valu Employee Reviews in Canada

AVOID if possible, unethical company!
Manager (Former Employee) –  ontario, CanadaFebruary 23, 2015
Work/Life Balance: if you're a store manager or district manager, there is no balance at all....Pet Valu monopolizes your time. It's not uncommon for managers and DMs to receive calls, emails and texts multiple times on their days off. Additionally, new hires are expected to complete over 40 hours of online training UNPAID and on their own time!

Salary: very low considering the expectations for store staff and managers. Manager's wages are based on store's sales, so if you have the misfortune of landing a low volume store, your wage will reflect (even though that is beyond your control and you're still do the same amount of work as someone managing a high volume store). In franchise stores the owners set the wages and this can either work in the employee’s favor or disadvantage depending on the franchisee, Head Office does not regulate franchise wages.

Job Security/Advancement: as a company, Pet Valu rarely promotes from within, turnover is alarmingly high-even for retail- and as an employee you do not feel valued. It's a very stressful place to work because you never know from one day to the next if you will be fired. It appears great employees are terminated for no reason...often.

Management: some store managers are worried about keeping their jobs while others do a terrible job and are kept on for some bizarre reason. The management styles of store managers vary from store to store, some are more positive (usually newer managers) while others are all doom and gloom. As for district managers, they each have their own agenda and will help store managers if it 'works into
  more... their plans' (I've heard that term used countless times). If it's not to the district manager's benefit, they will not help store managers grow with the company and in store instances, will actively prevent managers from moving up.

Training: very outdated methods, lack of in store training. The corporate recruiter has never worked in a store and creates training 'checklists' from her desk at head office. Franchise owners are given a very involved training program but it is up to them to implement the training in their stores and pass the information onto their team and often times they don’t, which leaves staff confused and unclear on the expectations and execution of tasks.

Job Culture: unpleasant, everyone has their own agendas, a lot of gossip. If your Manager or District Manager doesn't want you to move up in the company...you won't. As mentioned previously, it's a stressful place to work because you're always looking over your shoulder and wondering if you're going to be next to get fired. Most stores have small teams and there have been several times when staff has to receive either part, or an entire, truck alone due to being short handed. Head Office provides very little support to stores and managers are pretty much on their own. The mentality at the store level is very much “corporate vs. franchise.” Pet Valu does an excellent job of bending over backwards to accommodate the franchisees’ needs/wants, but at the expense of corporate stores.
Pros
great nutritional training
Cons
everything else about the company
fun place to work. cant move up though
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Courtice, ONJune 3, 2014
good place to work for a highschool student. cant really move up or get a raise. hours arent the best either
Great customers, and wonderful to be around animals all day long.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 24, 2015
- Great customers
- Fast-paced work
- Ability to gain real experience
- Get to be around animals
- Constant change
- Long hours
- Competitive
Educational environment with focus on customer satisfaction and pet health
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Renfrew, ONJanuary 9, 2015
I had grown up wanting to work at "the pet store" (Pet Valu) as animals are not only a passion for me but a hobby. So saying I love my job is very much true. I love the close relationships you can nurture with regular customers and the opportunities you get to learn as much as you can about the products you are selling. Pet Valu offers a lot of knowledgeable information on Pet health and nutrition so our customers can be confident in what they are buying.

Being in a small store with less staff has proven beneficial as it provides a more trusting and fun environment but has also proven to be difficult to cover staff when one or more are sick.

The hardest part of my job, oddly enough, has nothing to do with the work I am to do on a daily basis and what is expected of me but the total lack of effort on Pet Valu's part towards their employees. It saddened me to see Pet Valu take a different approach and direction as it seems to be losing focus not only on it's employees but the customers as more pressure is pushed on employees to force customers to buy more. This proves hard when from a small town and most of the customers are regulars. I will have worked with the company 5 years in April 2015 and despite my best efforts and proving (by taking over an managers position for 3 months while keeping the store running smoothly) myself It seems almost impossible to advance within the company any further.

They keep their employees trapped at part-time where wage raises are capped without further hope to gain more, where the work load is more then what you are paid. As I previously stated
  more... I have been with the company happily for 5 years April, I am still currently at minimum wage. This does not offer me much choice in having to rethink my future with the Pet Valu company which is very regretful as I love this job.

The most enjoyable part of my job is definitely the customers and their pets. I love getting to know the people who come into the store and making both their pet and them happy. The great learning opportunity Pet Valu offers is great as well.
Pros
friendly atmosphere, small workforce, great customers
Cons
minimum wage, no benefits unless full-time, rarely hire full-time, management hard to contact
Enjoyable and a learning experience
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 24, 2015
A typical day at Pet Valu would be, I would go in around noon and help with bathing the owners dogs as well as cutting their nails if they needed them done. I would also walk around the store examining the different products and interact with the customers. What I have learned here is where all the different products are located as well as helping customers find what they are looking for if I know where it is.
Fun workplace with regular customers and pets who brighten your day.
Storefront (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 22, 2015
Most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. Both the people and their pets who come into the store become part of you and the good store atmosphere.

Management was very unorganized which resulted in an unorganized store and no personal connection.

Lot of responsibility put onto individual employees, however, I was able to learn a lot from this.

Job included Greeting and assist customers, making recommendations.  ­ Creating and organizing displays,   ­ Placing orders, stocking shelves and keeping track of inventory, and opening or closing store independently.
Pros
flexiable hours, good co-workers
Cons
poor management and organization
Awesome place to work
Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2013
Loved working here, it was great! I had fun and loved the people and customers!!
Pros
helping rescues
Cons
no benefits
Did not like working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABJuly 29, 2015
The only good employees were the assistant manager and another sales associate as well as the dog groomer. Very small staff, owner was not able to see how her manager was verbally abusing employees and degrading them on a daily basis. Miserable experience, only pros were the customers and their pets.
Pros
Friendly customer, nice assistant manager, seeing pets all day
Cons
Horrible manager and owner
nice place to work
Bookkeeper for 2 independent small businesses (Current Employee) –  North BaySeptember 24, 2015
great people,
very knowledgeable about pets and foods
great pricing
great working hours
good looking store always clean
good inventory always have what I need
Great Company to expand personal knowledge, with some limitation for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONJune 21, 2015
I have loved working for Pet Valu, and have attained an extensive amount of knowledge about proper pet care and nutrition. This far exceeded my expectations and before I knew it, I was solving health issues for pets that often times hadn't even been solved by the customer's vet. I also learned how to create better customer relationships and sales techniques as they truly encouraged selling with passion. My only setback with Pet Valu is that they are only able to have one full time employee (Who already has 10+ years of experience and they intend to keep her) which doesn't provide any opportunity to grow with the company, as I so wish I could. The other team members there are excellent which provides for a great work environment. This job is overall extremely rewarding as many animals are helped, along with their owners. We also provided many homes for animals currently in local rescues, shelters, and foster homes. I am proud to say Pet Valu has donated an extensive amount of money, time, and pet supplies to these shelters too. As well, using their location as a host for the rescues to have adoption events.
Pros
Great environment, excellent training, well informed and knowledgeable staff, Passion for animals
Cons
management, little opportunity for growth
Fast paced, never a dull moment with a team of good-humoured people.
Trades Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Royal Crest Court, Markham, OntarioFebruary 10, 2014
- A typical day at work would be meeting deadlines for biweekly invoice pay dates and other projects.
- From my first day at work, I learned how to perform various task according to priorities.
- Management and co-workers work closely together to resolve problems and issues.
- The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is getting the work done at the end of the day or week
Pros
seasonal get together parties, like our annual summer barbecue
Cons
long hours when required
Good place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONAugust 14, 2015
Pet Valu was a great place to work. Although when I worked there, I was alone. That was the only downfall. Other than that, the customers were wonderful and my coworkers were very welcoming and helpful.
Pros
I love animals, so hearing customers stories always made my day.
Cons
Being by myself
Wonderful place to work
Retail Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONSeptember 9, 2015
I've learnt so much about customer service as well as animals in my time working here. The atmosphere is wonderful and the staff are very friendly.
Lots of perks
Retail Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 26, 2015
Great Employers if you're a hard working individual capable of the demanding tasks of the job. Never a dull moment. The dogs are great to see.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
no cons
“Wow, If you want to work here, get your head examined!”
Sales Associate, Temporary (1 year contract) (Former Employee) –  Arnprior, ONMay 22, 2013
Sales Associate, Temporary (1 year contract)-this current post (May 2013) for store 2130 in Arnprior is an advertisement for my former job.

Worked here for 1 year and a few months...with no idea of when contract was actually up, and no commitment from District Manager!!! If you want to do all the work, with no help from fellow staff..then this is the job for you. Do not expect flexibility with this position. Do not expect to have time off with this position.

Poor Management, disrespectful, rude district manager, no concern for staff or staff needs. Pathetic pay with even more pathetic pay increases. Difficult to get paperwork out of upper management. Expect long hours. Expect no time off. Expect no weekends off. Expect no home or personal life. Expect difficulties if you challenge any of these!

Advice to Senior Management – Get a grip! Pay workers what they deserve, that's more incentive than any! And a pat on the back once in a while wouldn't go amiss either! Lighten up on your staff and allow more flexibility...I took this job on the understanding of occasional weekends, not EVERY weekend.
Pros
great educational experience. lot of learning with online training-however done on your time!
Cons
see above!
HORRIBLE
Sales Assosicate (Former Employee) –  Pet Valu Kanata, March Rd.November 5, 2014
A typical work day was working extremely long, illegal shifts(Scheduled for shifts where you would be alone for longer than 5 hours without a break), facing product, extreme amounts of heavy lifting, no respect from management just complaints.

Owner was useless and did not know anything about his company not even how to open or close the store if needed in an emergency.

Co-workers were decent, The only plus of the job but a few of them were useless and not provided proper training by management. Management just gossiped about everyone and did ZERO managing what so ever. Kind of the worst I've seen in my years.

Also required to come in on days off for "meetings" that lasted an hour but by law in Ontario when you are called into work you should be paid a minimum of three hours even if only there for an hour.

Paychecks were regularly wrong, as well as stat pay for more than one employee.

Literally ZERO desire to ever work for Pet Valu MARCH RD ever again.
HORRIBLE experience.
Pros
the pets that visit the store
Cons
horrible owner/management
Wonderful meeting new people and seeing regulars and interacting with their pets
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 19, 2015
I've thoroughly enjoyed worked for the Pet Valu location. I've learned so much more in terms of customer service and have acquired very much knowledge in resolving issues and to accommodate the best solution possible for any customer.
I am a pet person, so I also loved seeing peoples pets come in the store as well as connect with their owners and engage in friendly conversation.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
had to rely on someone to provide transportation
The best part-time job I've ever had.
Pet Expert/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 24, 2014
A normal day involves maintaining the store - facing, cleaning, remerchandising, etc.
As pet experts, we provide information to customers about their pets (canines, felines, avian, small animal, and reptile). We answer questions regarding housing, nutrition, play, and even fashion.

The management was outstanding. They took into consideration our suggestions, even letting us take complete lead on some substantial projects. They were approachable, and helpful, and treated you like more than a subordinate.

My co-workers were friendly, and easy to get along with. They were hard workers, and made sure to ask questions when they weren't sure.

I have nothing bad to say about the job at all. It's very enjoyable. The work is not hard, but you need to know a lot about the products, because you want to provide the right answers. Even learning was fun.

Great job.
Pros
friendly staff, casual dress, incentives
Productive and a great learning experience
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 20, 2015
A typical day at work involved either opening or closing the store every shift. I provided customer service to a diverse amount of people. We were responsible for feeding and cleaning up after the animals. Every day we stocked the shelves and kept track of inventory. I learned a lot of responsibility while working at Pet Valu because I was given such large responsibilities such as a key to the store and the job of ensuring the tills were balanced and closing up properly. Also because I became in charge of training some of our new employees. My coworkers were also very diverse people who were supportive and helpful. Many of them are still my friends today although we no longer work together. The management could have been more understanding and easier to approach, they were not forgiving when it came to things such as school hours, which is something to me that is very important. The hardest part of the job would have been the heavy lifting and transporting. The most enjoyable part was providing the customer service and helping the ones in need. Also getting to know the regular ones. I really enjoyed interacted with the staff and customers.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
weekend hours only
Fun place to work and gain customer service
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2015
I learned how to deal with situations dealing with customers that I wouldn't be able to learn anywhere else. My money skills got better. I grew as a person at Pet Valu but after 5 years im ready to learn new skills in a new job.

2.6