Pet Valu Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 8, 2015
The atmosphere at pet valu is great. The workers are friendly and the customer base is ordinarily pleasant. You get to work with cats from the humane society which is great for cat lovers. The amount you can learn in a sort period of time about pet products is crazy. If you have pets at home you can apply the knowledge learned to your own pets health. There is even a paid time frame given to new employees to complete pet video courses provided from the university of california. All of these things are great; however, the stores are normally full for employment. It is hard to not only be hired on full time but, also be promoted with more responsibility and higher pay.
Pros
Great community, Feel good work, flexible hours
Cons
Full time is rare, no benefits, no room for promotion
Pet Valu
For Co-op in highschool (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 27, 2015
Had no issues what so ever while working at Pet Valu for my co-op. I enjoyed it a lot. I learned how to stock, talk too customers and assure them what food type might be best for their pet and even learned how to work on cash. I was very appreciative that they let me do my placement there.
Friendly and easy going with knives in back
project manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 1, 2015
management often aloof and unsure of what day to day looks like for other employees.

Clear goals were not set, but expectation revealed after job complete.
Often did not know how well you were doing until job nearly finished.
Pros
Easygoing with hours
Cons
will not review performance honestly
Disorganized and forever undecided.
Sales Associate/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Casselman, ONJanuary 22, 2016
These people can't make up their minds, they keep trash people and fire good people with the lame "the company is going in a different direction".

Upper management has no knowledge of actually running a retail store, they don't work in them and won't learn to work in them. You work hard for minimum wage, often alone.

No chance for advancement, but they'll let you run the store for less than the actual store manager makes. That's called taking advantage!!! Don't ask to transfer, you will be treated new, with same pay and barely any hours.

There is NO praise within this company. You are not allowed to be creative and everything is "store standards".

Never complain about a fellow employee, nothing will be done! As well, don't get pregnant ladies, you are still expected to do this physical job with no help... and if you want reduced physical work, you need to provide notes throughout your pregnancy.

You have a better chance at any one of this company's competitors!
Pros
Animals, Regular Customer & Most Employees
Cons
Everything Else...
Awesome customers, and very interactive.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 26, 2016
From open

stock count, serve customers, orders, schedules for staff, plan events, bank runs, clean, weekly conference calls,
Pros
working with animals
Cons
demanding
found franchise owner to be in conflict
Manager/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Second Line Sault Ste Marie , Pet Food StoreSeptember 13, 2015
The job was enjoyable however the owner was difficult to work with. I tried to follow all requirements however they were unable to accept any other opinion. Could not work for a company that would be detrimental to its customers and employees. This was not an environment that promoted loyalty, confidence in management, trust, and integrity. These are all attributes that I look for in a company
Pros
diverse customers
Cons
unable to trust management
Enjoyable and a learning experience
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 24, 2015
A typical day at Pet Valu would be, I would go in around noon and help with bathing the owners dogs as well as cutting their nails if they needed them done. I would also walk around the store examining the different products and interact with the customers. What I have learned here is where all the different products are located as well as helping customers find what they are looking for if I know where it is.
sales
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 28, 2015
enjoyed working with all co workers. great location. busy at times.
I learned a lot about different types of animals and how to handle customers
Did not like working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABJuly 29, 2015
The only good employees were the assistant manager and another sales associate as well as the dog groomer. Very small staff, owner was not able to see how her manager was verbally abusing employees and degrading them on a daily basis. Miserable experience, only pros were the customers and their pets.
Pros
Friendly customer, nice assistant manager, seeing pets all day
Cons
Horrible manager and owner
Great workplace , no job advancement
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJuly 15, 2015
Petvalu is a wonderful company to work for, especially if you have an amazing manager like I did. My manager had endless knowledge that was open minded and not one sided. The biggest con, you could lose your job at any time if your not a franchise. And If your upper boss doesn't like you (not for work ethic) but on a personal level . No matter how hard your manager tries you will never move up and get horrible excuses why you aren't .
Pros
My manager, knowledge, working with animals/ rescues, most of your regulars
Cons
Upper management, drama, no advancement, no benefits
Unprofessional and Unappreciative Upper Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I worked hard for these horrible corporate people for 10 long years of my life. How they thanked me was by letting me go. They gave me the same lame excuse that they give to employees that they have no use of anymore which was "We are going in a different direction". I had 6 different District Managers in 5 years, they come and go. Each one of them come in to your store, and boss you around as if they know everything, they tell you to move things around and look down on you, and leave. It happens with every new district manager, and people from the head office. They suck the life out of you, they expect you to put your life on hold for Petvalu. Your hard work is not even appreciated, and you don't even get a raise, you'll be luck to get a ten cent raise. They should run a chain of sweat shops not a chain of pet stores. In spite of all that, I really miss my coworkers and my regular customers whom I become too attached to. A few of them still call me once in a while to chat, and I always hear that a lot of them still ask for me and say "Hi". If you want to keep your sanity stay away from Petvalu, go get a real job where you can get somewhere.
Pros
Meeting new people and petting their pets.
Cons
I don't know where to start
Good place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONAugust 14, 2015
Pet Valu was a great place to work. Although when I worked there, I was alone. That was the only downfall. Other than that, the customers were wonderful and my coworkers were very welcoming and helpful.
Pros
I love animals, so hearing customers stories always made my day.
Cons
Being by myself
nice place to work
Bookkeeper for 2 independent small businesses (Current Employee) –  North BaySeptember 24, 2015
great people,
very knowledgeable about pets and foods
great pricing
great working hours
good looking store always clean
good inventory always have what I need
Management needs an overhaul!
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, OntarioMay 25, 2015
Store manager was unable to keep staff on a consistent schedule with similar hours week to week. Store manager would ask you if you're interested in full-time but never advance you along, just a pass off their daily duties onto you with no incentive, advancement or appreciation. Store manager does not follow the Company's guidelines because they're too busy trying to impress corporate and the District Sales Manager. Store manager does not do training in Grimsby location, pawned off onto other staff then lays blame when something goes wrong or a mistake occurs.

For a staff of 5-6, the amount of rumours and gossip amongst staff, about customers and even the rescues they work with was unreal.
Pros
playing with the rescue cat
Cons
female left working alone for 6+ hours to close
Wonderful place to work
Retail Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONSeptember 9, 2015
I've learnt so much about customer service as well as animals in my time working here. The atmosphere is wonderful and the staff are very friendly.
Fun place to work and gain customer service
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2015
I learned how to deal with situations dealing with customers that I wouldn't be able to learn anywhere else. My money skills got better. I grew as a person at Pet Valu but after 5 years im ready to learn new skills in a new job.
Wonderful meeting new people and seeing regulars and interacting with their pets
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 19, 2015
I've thoroughly enjoyed worked for the Pet Valu location. I've learned so much more in terms of customer service and have acquired very much knowledge in resolving issues and to accommodate the best solution possible for any customer.
I am a pet person, so I also loved seeing peoples pets come in the store as well as connect with their owners and engage in friendly conversation.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
had to rely on someone to provide transportation
Lots of perks
Retail Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 26, 2015
Great Employers if you're a hard working individual capable of the demanding tasks of the job. Never a dull moment. The dogs are great to see.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
no cons
Fun workplace with regular customers and pets who brighten your day.
Storefront (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 22, 2015
Most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. Both the people and their pets who come into the store become part of you and the good store atmosphere.

Management was very unorganized which resulted in an unorganized store and no personal connection.

Lot of responsibility put onto individual employees, however, I was able to learn a lot from this.

Job included Greeting and assist customers, making recommendations.  ­ Creating and organizing displays,   ­ Placing orders, stocking shelves and keeping track of inventory, and opening or closing store independently.
Pros
flexiable hours, good co-workers
Cons
poor management and organization
Great customers, and wonderful to be around animals all day long.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 24, 2015
- Great customers
- Fast-paced work
- Ability to gain real experience
- Get to be around animals
- Constant change