Pet Valu Employee Reviews in Canada

Horrible place to work
sales associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioNovember 27, 2015
Took this job as I love helping people and ensuring pets can have the highest quality of life possible. This place was a nightmare. The manager did nothing but bully an belittle staff members, and going into work everyday was horrible as you knew what you were going into. The only good thing about the job was the co-workers. Made complaints to higher up management and nothing was done, which I have heard happens all the time. Save your self the headache as you are only paid minimum wage, and the amount and whats expected of you is way to high.
Pros
co-workers, seeing pets daily
Cons
Management, duties too much for pay level
good opportunity for growth
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 22, 2016
good company to work for although all corporate store are for sale and job security is not great. well run company with support teams for continued success within the stores
Ideal place to work for student
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 2, 2016
Very good environment nice employees and good hours so that school isn`t interfered with. Customers often very nice and opportunity to interact with pets is a bonus
Pros
Good leniant hours for school
Cons
sometimes not enough hours as i`d like
work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 27, 2016
customer service cash stock product knowledge open and close sales truck delivery coworkers are all friendly management is fair helped customers with new pets
One of the most enjoyable jobs!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, ABMay 26, 2016
It's a fun atmosphere that promotes learning and educating customers. Getting to interact with a variety of people and animals on a daily basis is the best part of the job!!
Great place to START your working career
Cashier/Stocked Shelves (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Fun place to work during High School
Lots of Down time to do Homework.
Not very busy family owned business.
Lots of knowledge on Pets and there food.
Pros
Payed Lunches. Great Hours, Friendly Staff
Cons
Family Owned Business, Small Business, Lower than Minimum wage Pay/hour
Great Managment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  bcJune 11, 2015
Love the company, training, products and the management! The co workers are great and its a fun place to work. However, salary is low and its hard to advance I was told by feller co workers. Still rate high.
10 years of sercive at pet valu
Store owner Pet Valu (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MBApril 19, 2016
Enjoy helping customers
Love seeing customers pets
Participated in fun off site events
Hardest was hiring good staff that wanted to learn the products
learned lots about nutrition
Can be a fun place to work.
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONDecember 28, 2014
For the first five years I worked there it was a great place to work. It was a very friendly work environment and very customer service oriented. I also love the fact that we dealt with several animal rescues adopting out cats, small animals, and hosting adoption days where we showcased dogs for adoption. Now that there is a new store owner some of the new staff are not as customer service oriented and we have started selling animals instead of getting them from rescues. We still have cats for adoption from a rescue, but no longer small animals. Because each Pet Valu store has different owners whether its corporate or franchise, the work environment in each store tends to be very different. At the start of my job I was required to do some training in animal nutrition which has helped me a lot. Even though I have taken an animal nutrition course in school this went beyond that by teaching me the differences in food qualities, as well as the benefits of different types of food. Overall I had a good work experience at Pet Valu but I feel the work environment is changing.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BCJanuary 24, 2016
Always room to learn more about all kinds of products and animals; constantly getting to meet new people and their pets and addressing their needs with confidence. The Manager and Assistant Manager are both very personable and still have authority and respect.
Pros
All sorts of animals to meet
Cons
Needs more animals
Friendly and easy going with knives in back
project manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 1, 2015
management often aloof and unsure of what day to day looks like for other employees.

Clear goals were not set, but expectation revealed after job complete.
Often did not know how well you were doing until job nearly finished.
Pros
Easygoing with hours
Cons
will not review performance honestly
Good learning experience but poor compensation
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Nova ScotiaJuly 19, 2016
I worked as a sales associate in a franchise store for three years, and then in a corporate store several years later for 3 short months before being promoted to manager of a brand new location. I was hired as a manager with little previous management experience but a lot of passion and knowledge within the company.

Initially, I was on cloud nine. I learned a lot of things in a short period of time and loved my day to day work. Regular customers, seeing cool new pet products, learning about things i care about and interacting with like minded people. Coworkers at the store level were great and my first DSM was very supportive. Scheduling, ordering, merchandising to store standards and stock count procedures are some of the main rocks.

Things change a lot and communication is poor. There is little praise from upper management and rude and demeaning comments have been made to me as well as my staff. Labour hours are very limited and you really struggle to complete all expectations within what is allowed. You and your staff will spend a LOT of time alone in the store which poses safety risks and can be stressful during busy times. No one wants to wait at the counter. And no on wants to see a customer leave because they couldn't be served fast enough. A lot of pressure put on store appearance and things being exactly a certain way, when realistically, it is hard to constantly meet these expectations while still being able to serve customers and answer their many questions. Hourly compensation is poor and advancement in this department is hard to get.

Customers are a
  more... big plus and you will have a lot of fun interacting with them. Extensive product knowledge and genuine care and empathy is required because these guests put a lot of faith in you. It is ultimately a labour of love. Turnover in store manager roles seems high, at least in my district. It is a good place to build skills for your resume and move along to a company with better Human Resource Management and compensation.  less
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Upper management / politics, little labour hours
Awesome and fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2012
Working at Pet Valu was such a great experience. I learned so much about pets and their nutritional needs as well as their everyday needs. The customers were great and the staff was fun as well. Management really cared about their employees except when it came to raises.
Pros
fun environment, pets in the store, good management.
Cons
job performance reviews, heavy trucks.
Awesome customers, and very interactive.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 26, 2016
From open

stock count, serve customers, orders, schedules for staff, plan events, bank runs, clean, weekly conference calls,
Pros
working with animals
Cons
demanding
Pet Valu
For Co-op in highschool (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 27, 2015
Had no issues what so ever while working at Pet Valu for my co-op. I enjoyed it a lot. I learned how to stock, talk too customers and assure them what food type might be best for their pet and even learned how to work on cash. I was very appreciative that they let me do my placement there.
found franchise owner to be in conflict
Manager/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Second Line Sault Ste Marie , Pet Food StoreSeptember 13, 2015
The job was enjoyable however the owner was difficult to work with. I tried to follow all requirements however they were unable to accept any other opinion. Could not work for a company that would be detrimental to its customers and employees. This was not an environment that promoted loyalty, confidence in management, trust, and integrity. These are all attributes that I look for in a company
Pros
diverse customers
Cons
unable to trust management
Not happy with management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 29, 2012
The higher management does not listen to employee suggestions and puts too much pressure on store managers.
My experience was great except for the fact that my district manager was not very nice, did not give me any praise for my hard work and was always telling me what was best for the store when realistically he was not the one in the store dealing with day to day customers and experiences.
He really made me feel incompetent when I was working my butt off for the company for many years.
Higher management needs to be supervising and training their district managers to be sure they are treating their staff well.
I dreaded speaking to my boss, it was always negative comment after negative comment, sarcasm and no praise.
I had dealt with a few district managers during my employment and 2 of the 3 were not pleasant.

I feel Pet Valu has come a long way after being bought out by a US company. They are doing a good job with revamping stores, opening new stores and focusing on sales.
They should not get so money hungry that they forget about the friendly customer service aspect.
Its all about the customer, greeting them, informing them, asking about their pets..etc.
It should NOT all be about selling them higher priced merchandise and more and more items.
Pros
good pay. nice atmosphere, great product training.
Cons
long hours, short staffed, unpleasent managers.
Hard work, but excellent training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 24, 2013
**I worked for Pet Valu the corporation, not a franchise. This review is strictly based on working at a corporate location. **

Pet Valu has an excellent training program. I felt very confident with the knowledge they armed me with for dealing with customers. They had exams that every employee was required to take, as well as seminars that were put on by the different pet food companies.

It can be a lot of hard work. It's not just front end work like a lot of people expect. A lot of it is dealing with delivery; hauling bag after bag of 40lb dog food bags (or cat litter!) onto shelves that are well over your head.

Pet Valu, for an 8 hour shift, gives you one unpaid 30 min break...and that's it. They say that you can have 2 15's...but if you try and take one you're in a lot of trouble. You're constantly on call (no matter what your position is), the district manager (at the time) was not a very nice person (trying to be polite here). That's not just my opinion, it was known chain-wide.

Basically it's a good place to work if you don't mind being used a bit. They do teach you a lot about nutrition, but they work you like a dog and pay you very little for it.

Oh, and corporate sold our store to a franchiser even though they promised they wouldn't...so job security is kind of shaky.
Pros
training program
Cons
salary, delivery, inflexible with shifts
sales
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 28, 2015
enjoyed working with all co workers. great location. busy at times.
I learned a lot about different types of animals and how to handle customers
Management needs an overhaul!
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, OntarioMay 25, 2015
Store manager was unable to keep staff on a consistent schedule with similar hours week to week. Store manager would ask you if you're interested in full-time but never advance you along, just a pass off their daily duties onto you with no incentive, advancement or appreciation. Store manager does not follow the Company's guidelines because they're too busy trying to impress corporate and the District Sales Manager. Store manager does not do training in Grimsby location, pawned off onto other staff then lays blame when something goes wrong or a mistake occurs.

For a staff of 5-6, the amount of rumours and gossip amongst staff, about customers and even the rescues they work with was unreal.
Pros
playing with the rescue cat
Cons
female left working alone for 6+ hours to close

2.6