Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Great
Human Resources Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
The company is great. They value their employees and treat everyone fairly. I'm happy to have worked here and I encourage everyone to apply!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Low pay, negative work experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC29 February 2016
Part time customer service job, like working with customers and their pets. Negative management, nothing acceptable, constant negative comments on everything. Cares mostly about cleaning rather than customers, which is not what the company goal is about. Will only pay minimum wage, will not negotiate, if you want to do the company training, you have to do it at home, won't pay for that.
Pros
See pets
Cons
Negative work environment
Horrible company
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ontario15 May 2016
I worked for petvalu for about two years and the last year of that was absolutely horrible. When I started with this company it had a good solid team at the store and things got done and were taken care of pretty well. As time went on I saw more managers and district managers in and out of the store staff being shuffled and things were starting to slide. Upper management was horrible, they had unrealistic goals on their staff with low to no benefits low pay, no benefits, average discount, no training, and then it was our fault when things didn't get done properly. One of the biggest problems was the lack of training especially for the newer stuff that I saw that came in after me. The list is long and extensive of what was wrong with this company, I was excited to get out of this company. This is definitely not a long-term job and just something for students to get by and through school while moving on to bigger and better because anything is definitely better than petvalu.
Pros
Customers and animals
Cons
Everything else.
Ideal place to work for student
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK2 May 2016
Very good environment nice employees and good hours so that school isn`t interfered with. Customers often very nice and opportunity to interact with pets is a bonus
Pros
Good leniant hours for school
Cons
sometimes not enough hours as i`d like
Experience depends heavily on management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON29 April 2016
I believe PetValu offers a great place to work for pet-lovers looking for a minimum wage part-time job. However, experience will vary heavily on who is managing the store, or who owns the franchise.

Thunder Bay stores are all under one owner. The co-workers at all locations are decent, humble people who will be helpful. However, there is a grim undercurrent of worry among them that stems from management's role in maintaining sales pressure and maintaining the bottom line as low as possible. Management at my location didn't even know what the ESA (Employment Standards Act) was. Training is mandatory for the job and is job specific, and takes about 10 hours. This was expected to be done on the workers time and unpaid. This is indicative of the kind of workplace you can expect in Thunder Bay. The customers, products, and workers will make the job decent. Management can be a hassle and may treat you like just another animal.
Pros
People who love animals
Cons
Owners and management
work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2016
customer service cash stock product knowledge open and close sales truck delivery coworkers are all friendly management is fair helped customers with new pets
One of the most enjoyable jobs!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB26 May 2016
It's a fun atmosphere that promotes learning and educating customers. Getting to interact with a variety of people and animals on a daily basis is the best part of the job!!
10 years of sercive at pet valu
Store owner Pet Valu (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB19 April 2016
Enjoy helping customers
Love seeing customers pets
Participated in fun off site events
Hardest was hiring good staff that wanted to learn the products
learned lots about nutrition
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC24 January 2016
Always room to learn more about all kinds of products and animals; constantly getting to meet new people and their pets and addressing their needs with confidence. The Manager and Assistant Manager are both very personable and still have authority and respect.
Pros
All sorts of animals to meet
Cons
Needs more animals
Great place to START your working career
Cashier/Stocked Shelves (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 February 2016
Fun place to work during High School
Lots of Down time to do Homework.
Not very busy family owned business.
Lots of knowledge on Pets and there food.
Pros
Payed Lunches. Great Hours, Friendly Staff
Cons
Family Owned Business, Small Business, Lower than Minimum wage Pay/hour
Horrible place to work
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario27 November 2015
Took this job as I love helping people and ensuring pets can have the highest quality of life possible. This place was a nightmare. The manager did nothing but bully an belittle staff members, and going into work everyday was horrible as you knew what you were going into. The only good thing about the job was the co-workers. Made complaints to higher up management and nothing was done, which I have heard happens all the time. Save your self the headache as you are only paid minimum wage, and the amount and whats expected of you is way to high.
Pros
co-workers, seeing pets daily
Cons
Management, duties too much for pay level
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON8 November 2015
The atmosphere at pet valu is great. The workers are friendly and the customer base is ordinarily pleasant. You get to work with cats from the humane society which is great for cat lovers. The amount you can learn in a sort period of time about pet products is crazy. If you have pets at home you can apply the knowledge learned to your own pets health. There is even a paid time frame given to new employees to complete pet video courses provided from the university of california. All of these things are great; however, the stores are normally full for employment. It is hard to not only be hired on full time but, also be promoted with more responsibility and higher pay.
Pros
Great community, Feel good work, flexible hours
Cons
Full time is rare, no benefits, no room for promotion
finding the right product for your animal.
Cleaned staffroom, loading dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC25 October 2016
a normal day would consist of greeting customers, helping them find anything they are looking for telling them about products that can help meet their animals needs.
I would size animals for collars or specific leash for they pulling needs or i would size then to fit their new bed or kennel. working at tisol we have had a lot of people come in looking for animals or specific things such as pets, and in tisol it is believe it is far better to adopt rather then buy from a store, we can direct their attention to an animal shelter with an friendly little companion meeting their desires and everything it may take to care for these amazing creatures. through out the day i would sweep and mop the floors so it is safe for our customer and their owner to come in, i would tidy the front desk to make it easier and faster to show our customer about the products we do have, and how it can help their animal. with pets that have allergies i am able to direct them to what food and treats are best for their loved one. working with customers pets i got so much knowledge about so many different type of animals Ive learn new ways to handle situation with my own pets, and Im able to give out my advise and my own experience!
Pros
working all types of animals and learning new things everday
Cons
building is tucked away so not many people knew where we were.
Pet Valu
For Co-op in highschool (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 December 2015
Had no issues what so ever while working at Pet Valu for my co-op. I enjoyed it a lot. I learned how to stock, talk too customers and assure them what food type might be best for their pet and even learned how to work on cash. I was very appreciative that they let me do my placement there.
Friendly and easy going with knives in back
project manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON1 December 2015
management often aloof and unsure of what day to day looks like for other employees.

Clear goals were not set, but expectation revealed after job complete.
Often did not know how well you were doing until job nearly finished.
Pros
Easygoing with hours
Cons
will not review performance honestly
Disorganized and forever undecided.
Sales Associate/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Casselman, ON22 January 2016
These people can't make up their minds, they keep trash people and fire good people with the lame "the company is going in a different direction".

Upper management has no knowledge of actually running a retail store, they don't work in them and won't learn to work in them. You work hard for minimum wage, often alone.

No chance for advancement, but they'll let you run the store for less than the actual store manager makes. That's called taking advantage!!! Don't ask to transfer, you will be treated new, with same pay and barely any hours.

There is NO praise within this company. You are not allowed to be creative and everything is "store standards".

Never complain about a fellow employee, nothing will be done! As well, don't get pregnant ladies, you are still expected to do this physical job with no help... and if you want reduced physical work, you need to provide notes throughout your pregnancy.

You have a better chance at any one of this company's competitors!
Pros
Animals, Regular Customer & Most Employees
Cons
Everything Else...
Awesome customers, and very interactive.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 January 2016
From open

stock count, serve customers, orders, schedules for staff, plan events, bank runs, clean, weekly conference calls,
Pros
working with animals
Cons
demanding
found franchise owner to be in conflict
Manager/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Second Line Sault Ste Marie , Pet Food Store13 September 2015
The job was enjoyable however the owner was difficult to work with. I tried to follow all requirements however they were unable to accept any other opinion. Could not work for a company that would be detrimental to its customers and employees. This was not an environment that promoted loyalty, confidence in management, trust, and integrity. These are all attributes that I look for in a company
Pros
diverse customers
Cons
unable to trust management
Enjoyable and a learning experience
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 August 2015
A typical day at Pet Valu would be, I would go in around noon and help with bathing the owners dogs as well as cutting their nails if they needed them done. I would also walk around the store examining the different products and interact with the customers. What I have learned here is where all the different products are located as well as helping customers find what they are looking for if I know where it is.
Did not like working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB29 July 2015
The only good employees were the assistant manager and another sales associate as well as the dog groomer. Very small staff, owner was not able to see how her manager was verbally abusing employees and degrading them on a daily basis. Miserable experience, only pros were the customers and their pets.
Pros
Friendly customer, nice assistant manager, seeing pets all day
Cons
Horrible manager and owner

2.6