Pet Valu Employee Reviews in Canada

Good place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONAugust 14, 2015
Pet Valu was a great place to work. Although when I worked there, I was alone. That was the only downfall. Other than that, the customers were wonderful and my coworkers were very welcoming and helpful.
Pros
I love animals, so hearing customers stories always made my day.
Cons
Being by myself
Unprofessional and Unappreciative Upper Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I worked hard for these horrible corporate people for 10 long years of my life. How they thanked me was by letting me go. They gave me the same lame excuse that they give to employees that they have no use of anymore which was "We are going in a different direction". I had 6 different District Managers in 5 years, they come and go. Each one of them come in to your store, and boss you around as if they know everything, they tell you to move things around and look down on you, and leave. It happens with every new district manager, and people from the head office. They suck the life out of you, they expect you to put your life on hold for Petvalu. Your hard work is not even appreciated, and you don't even get a raise, you'll be luck to get a ten cent raise. They should run a chain of sweat shops not a chain of pet stores. In spite of all that, I really miss my coworkers and my regular customers whom I become too attached to. A few of them still call me once in a while to chat, and I always hear that a lot of them still ask for me and say "Hi". If you want to keep your sanity stay away from Petvalu, go get a real job where you can get somewhere.
Pros
Meeting new people and petting their pets.
Cons
I don't know where to start
nice place to work
Bookkeeper for 2 independent small businesses (Current Employee) –  North BaySeptember 24, 2015
great people,
very knowledgeable about pets and foods
great pricing
great working hours
good looking store always clean
good inventory always have what I need
Management needs an overhaul!
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, OntarioMay 25, 2015
Store manager was unable to keep staff on a consistent schedule with similar hours week to week. Store manager would ask you if you're interested in full-time but never advance you along, just a pass off their daily duties onto you with no incentive, advancement or appreciation. Store manager does not follow the Company's guidelines because they're too busy trying to impress corporate and the District Sales Manager. Store manager does not do training in Grimsby location, pawned off onto other staff then lays blame when something goes wrong or a mistake occurs.

For a staff of 5-6, the amount of rumours and gossip amongst staff, about customers and even the rescues they work with was unreal.
Pros
playing with the rescue cat
Cons
female left working alone for 6+ hours to close
Wonderful place to work
Retail Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONSeptember 9, 2015
I've learnt so much about customer service as well as animals in my time working here. The atmosphere is wonderful and the staff are very friendly.
Fun place to work and gain customer service
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2015
I learned how to deal with situations dealing with customers that I wouldn't be able to learn anywhere else. My money skills got better. I grew as a person at Pet Valu but after 5 years im ready to learn new skills in a new job.
Lots of perks
Retail Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 26, 2015
Great Employers if you're a hard working individual capable of the demanding tasks of the job. Never a dull moment. The dogs are great to see.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
no cons
Wonderful meeting new people and seeing regulars and interacting with their pets
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 19, 2015
I've thoroughly enjoyed worked for the Pet Valu location. I've learned so much more in terms of customer service and have acquired very much knowledge in resolving issues and to accommodate the best solution possible for any customer.
I am a pet person, so I also loved seeing peoples pets come in the store as well as connect with their owners and engage in friendly conversation.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
had to rely on someone to provide transportation
Fun workplace with regular customers and pets who brighten your day.
Storefront (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 22, 2015
Most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. Both the people and their pets who come into the store become part of you and the good store atmosphere.

Management was very unorganized which resulted in an unorganized store and no personal connection.

Lot of responsibility put onto individual employees, however, I was able to learn a lot from this.

Job included Greeting and assist customers, making recommendations.  ­ Creating and organizing displays,   ­ Placing orders, stocking shelves and keeping track of inventory, and opening or closing store independently.
Pros
flexiable hours, good co-workers
Cons
poor management and organization
Great customers, and wonderful to be around animals all day long.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 24, 2015
- Great customers
- Fast-paced work
- Ability to gain real experience
- Get to be around animals
- Constant change
- Long hours
- Competitive
Great Managment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  bcJune 11, 2015
Love the company, training, products and the management! The co workers are great and its a fun place to work. However, salary is low and its hard to advance I was told by feller co workers. Still rate high.
Was like a second home to me
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 10, 2015
I very much enjoyed working here because the staff were like family and I love animals. I enjoyed all the knowledge that was required to work there. The regular customers were a treat and I miss working in this type of environment.
Happy customers, wonderful place to work
Pet Expert (Current Employee) –  Oakville, On. Hamilton, On.November 19, 2014
I am now well versed in how to take care of many different types of pets, I enjoy both the busy and down times of the job as there are so many things to do and to keep busy. Many customers bring in their animals which makes the day much more enjoyable. Everyone who works within this setting is happy and approachable. There is heavy lifting, but in turn I feel I have become stronger.
Pros
lots of time to work alone, or with others, very flexible to needs
Cons
minimum wage, part time hours
Was a great place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
It was a great time in my life. The owner is still a close friend. Being retail it was tough with some of the customers, but overall a great experience.
Pros
very relaxed work atmosphere
Cons
not great pay
Good learning experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Typical day is facing product and learning product.
Good learning experience about pets, pet products and food.
Management is good to work with and get the job done
Coworkers are fine
Hardest part is rude customers
Enjoyable part is the nice people and interaction with animals
Pros
free lunches
Cons
travelling distance
very friendly and productive environment
Helpdesk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 5, 2014
Pet Valu HelpDesk is a very friendly environment to work in. It can get pretty intense with the call volume and technical issues therefore, to have a comfortable environment around you makes things less stressful. People are always greeting one another and assisting with difficult issues. We consider ourselves to be more of a team than anything else. Leadership always plays a role in the work environment and this helps others stay motivated and disciplined in the workplace.
Pros
very open and flexible environment, great manager
Cons
high call volume
Fun place to work. Very knowledgeable people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 24, 2015
People who work at pet valu are very loving and caring. Always ensuring your pet is receiving the proper nutrition it needs.
Fast paced, never a dull moment with a team of good-humoured people.
Trades Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Royal Crest Court, Markham, OntarioFebruary 10, 2014
- A typical day at work would be meeting deadlines for biweekly invoice pay dates and other projects.
- From my first day at work, I learned how to perform various task according to priorities.
- Management and co-workers work closely together to resolve problems and issues.
- The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is getting the work done at the end of the day or week
Pros
seasonal get together parties, like our annual summer barbecue
Cons
long hours when required
The most enjoyable part of the job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls, New BrunswickJanuary 31, 2014
I had a client who came in not happy with what another company had offered to him. So I ask him all the questions just to be able to know exactly what he was looking for. After an half an hour I finally showed him what he needed and the client left happy. The next day he came back and thank me for the good service and the right product. There's nothing that makes me happier then having a client leaving my store happy. So that is one thing I love about customer service.
I learned that if you give your 100% at your job every day that you will full fill a lot in your life and you learn a lot of things.
Pros
loved my clientele and my co-workers
Cons
the store closed there doors
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 1, 2013
Assisting customers with product information, answering phones, cleaning the store, restocking product.
It was a very small place to work, with a few employees. Everyone was very close and like a family. Management was amazing and extremely understanding.
There was nothing overly difficult about this job that stands out.
Everything about this job was enjoyable, working with animals and the customers.
Pros
dealing with animals
Cons
working alone