Pet Valu

Pet Valu Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
My experience
Cashier/Sales (Current Employee), Dunnville OntarioAugust 14, 2013
Cons: not enough hours/ poor pay
Working at Pet Valu there are many responsibilities.

A typical day at work for me is making sure the animals have fresh food and water and their cages are presentable for when customers come into the store.

I have learned many new things about different types of animals and nutritional facts about them so I can provide my best knowledge to any questions – more... a customer may have, about what certain foods or medications they are thinking about for their animal.

The management at Pet Valu is great. Being a corporate store we do have a lot of pressure on us to meet certain sale requirements and if we aren't meeting them there is always a lot of help to try new things to find what will work best for all of us employees.

My co- workers are great, we all get along and we all work together to get the job done!

The hardest part of my job is when my manager is away on holidays, I take on most of the responsibilities to make sure the store is kept the way is should be.

The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with new people everyday, helping them, listening to them, and also meeting there pets. – less
Great until the US bought it
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2013
PV was the best place to work until the Americans took over. Now its all politics and paperwork
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier/Keyholder (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 1, 2013
Pros: dealing with animals
Cons: working alone
Assisting customers with product information, answering phones, cleaning the store, restocking product.
It was a very small place to work, with a few employees. Everyone was very close and like a family. Management was amazing and extremely understanding.
There was nothing overly difficult about this job that stands out.
Everything about this job was – more... enjoyable, working with animals and the customers. – less
Hard work, but excellent training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 24, 2013
Pros: training program
Cons: salary, delivery, inflexible with shifts
**I worked for Pet Valu the corporation, not a franchise. This review is strictly based on working at a corporate location. **

Pet Valu has an excellent training program. I felt very confident with the knowledge they armed me with for dealing with customers. They had exams that every employee was required to take, as well as seminars that were put – more... on by the different pet food companies.

It can be a lot of hard work. It's not just front end work like a lot of people expect. A lot of it is dealing with delivery; hauling bag after bag of 40lb dog food bags (or cat litter!) onto shelves that are well over your head.

Pet Valu, for an 8 hour shift, gives you one unpaid 30 min break...and that's it. They say that you can have 2 15's...but if you try and take one you're in a lot of trouble. You're constantly on call (no matter what your position is), the district manager (at the time) was not a very nice person (trying to be polite here). That's not just my opinion, it was known chain-wide.

Basically it's a good place to work if you don't mind being used a bit. They do teach you a lot about nutrition, but they work you like a dog and pay you very little for it.

Oh, and corporate sold our store to a franchiser even though they promised they wouldn't...so job security is kind of shaky. – less
“Wow, If you want to work here, get your head examined!”
Sales Associate, Temporary (1 year contract) (Former Employee), Arnprior, ONMay 22, 2013
Pros: great educational experience. lot of learning with online training-however done on your time!
Cons: see above!
Sales Associate, Temporary (1 year contract)-this current post (May 2013) for store 2130 in Arnprior is an advertisement for my former job.

Worked here for 1 year and a few months...with no idea of when contract was actually up, and no commitment from District Manager!!! If you want to do all the work, with no help from fellow staff..then this is the – more... job for you. Do not expect flexibility with this position. Do not expect to have time off with this position.

Poor Management, disrespectful, rude district manager, no concern for staff or staff needs. Pathetic pay with even more pathetic pay increases. Difficult to get paperwork out of upper management. Expect long hours. Expect no time off. Expect no weekends off. Expect no home or personal life. Expect difficulties if you challenge any of these!

Advice to Senior Management – Get a grip! Pay workers what they deserve, that's more incentive than any! And a pat on the back once in a while wouldn't go amiss either! Lighten up on your staff and allow more flexibility...I took this job on the understanding of occasional weekends, not EVERY weekend. – less
Great place to work!!!
Key Holder (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 13, 2013
Pros: meeting pets, long hours, lots of shifts
Cons: delivery - some items are very heavy
You get to meet pets and their parents all day long and provide necessary information and advice for their pets needs. Very fun place to work!
Franchise store
Manager (Former Employee), scarborough, ontarioApril 12, 2013
Pros: excellent advancement
Cons: franchised store
It was excellent working within the company, and advancement came quickly based on my performance.
love of animals
FRANCHISE MANAGER/CORPORATE TRAINER (Current Employee), timminsApril 11, 2013
love working with customers and their pets. working with n.o.a.w.s. raising money for the animals in need is wonderful part of the job
Pet Valu Review
Store Clerk (Former Employee), Waterdown, ONMarch 4, 2013
My experiences at Pet Valu where more of a volunteering experience. It is where I learned to stock shelves and other store duties. It was a positive and upbeat work environment.
fun place to work, other employers were nice and understanding, cute dogs
General Labour (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: nice people, got to work with dogs
Cons: sometimes got bit, stock could get pretty heavy
A typical day here was fun. I got to handle dogs all day and make sure they got clean so that they could get groomed by the professional groomers. I learned a lot more about stocking and costumer service as well as learning how to deal with dogs properly. My co-workers were very nice and understanding even when I didn't know something. We joked around – more... a lot and got along well. The hardest part of the job was when the dogs did not want to listen to me but it was still an enjoyable volunteer experience. – less
No room for improvement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 21, 2013
Handled customer issues and enjoyed working with animals. Unless you are a franchise owner there is not alot of room for advancement.
Great company
Manager (Current Employee), Kanata, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: staff discounts
Cons: wage
Pet Valu is a great company to work for. They invest a lot of time and money to fully train their staff so they are knowledgeable and courteous. The customers of Pet Valu can feel safe in anything an employee of Pet Valu recommends.
Not happy with management
Store Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 29, 2012
Pros: good pay. nice atmosphere, great product training.
Cons: long hours, short staffed, unpleasent managers.
The higher management does not listen to employee suggestions and puts too much pressure on store managers.
My experience was great except for the fact that my district manager was not very nice, did not give me any praise for my hard work and was always telling me what was best for the store when realistically he was not the one in the store dealing – more... with day to day customers and experiences.
He really made me feel incompetent when I was working my butt off for the company for many years.
Higher management needs to be supervising and training their district managers to be sure they are treating their staff well.
I dreaded speaking to my boss, it was always negative comment after negative comment, sarcasm and no praise.
I had dealt with a few district managers during my employment and 2 of the 3 were not pleasant.

I feel Pet Valu has come a long way after being bought out by a US company. They are doing a good job with revamping stores, opening new stores and focusing on sales.
They should not get so money hungry that they forget about the friendly customer service aspect.
Its all about the customer, greeting them, informing them, asking about their pets..etc.
It should NOT all be about selling them higher priced merchandise and more and more items. – less
Productive work place.
Cashier, Customer Service (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 14, 2012
You learn the importance of great customer service and respect.
Awesome and fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2012
Pros: fun environment, pets in the store, good management.
Cons: job performance reviews, heavy trucks.
Working at Pet Valu was such a great experience. I learned so much about pets and their nutritional needs as well as their everyday needs. The customers were great and the staff was fun as well. Management really cared about their employees except when it came to raises.
My experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2012
I love working with the animals and the regular customers. I learned a lot about animals and myself while working for Pet Valu.
worked with some great people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJune 27, 2012
Pros: paid lunch
Cons: unloading the truck by hand.....no room for a forklift! :)
I worked in all areas of the store from opening to running cash, sales, ordering inventory, stocking shelves, supervising staff, dealing with returns and complaints, all the way to closing up and making the night deposit.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the people I worked with. We just had a reunion this past summer and we all still keep in – more... touch. We were very close!!! – less
loved working with the animals
Customer Service/Key Holder (Former Employee), aberdeen, mdJuly 7, 2014
Pros: working with animals
Cons: wish i could have stayed there, not making enough money to survive
does not pay well, alot of customer and animal interaction.
Great starting job and for school.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Gambrills, MDJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, education and skills training, reasonable part-time pay
Cons: small workforce (but dependable), not a life-long job (unless manager)
For the entire 7 years that I have worked at Pet Valu, I never could have asked for a more rewarding part-time experience. I was 16 years old in High School when I was hired, and I stayed with the company all throughout school and into the present day because of their flexibility in working with me during my school schedule as well as with my school – more... workload outside of classes. Pet Valu is not an enormous store as compared to it's competitors, but on a normal day to day basis, there was always something that needed to be done. Even when everything that needed to be done was finished, I would still seek out extra duties to attend to and would take on responsibilities to help out as much as I could around the store The hardest part about this job was also the part that made this job worth being a part of, and that was learning all the products we sold, and most importantly exploring pet food and pet nutrition. Even outside of working at Pet Valu, I had found a passion in researching brands of pet food, pet nutrition and pet food ingredients. By doing this I was able to recommend foods and products to my customers with research and information to back it up. Customers were not blindly led to buy any product, as I would make absolutely sure that they found exactly what their pet needed and that they would come back satisfied and happy with our service. Overall, I may have only worked for this one company for seven years versus bouncing around between jobs, but I felt committed to it and sought to do my best to make a lasting impression while working there until I am able to find a permanent career path. – less
Pet Store
Customer Service Sales Associate (Former Employee), Harrisburg, PAAugust 20, 2013
Not your typical pet store. Must go through a lot of training and deal with customers. They sale upscale dog and cat food. Specializes in their brand.

About Pet Valu

The Pet Valu family of stores includes Pet Valu, Paulmac’s Pet Food and Bosley’s, and together they are one of the – Read more