Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Fun Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 July 2017
For a part time retail job it can be a great environment, but most of the stores are franchises and the culture, pay and benefits can fluctuate. It pays like a part-time job but you are required to obtain a great deal of knowledge, and that just is not recognized and reflected by management. But, the customers are usually awesome and bring their pets in, so that's always a plus.
It was a job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 July 2017
I'm not going to bash or become negative, the person that was managing the store didn't understand how to. Over all was a good person and just needed some guidance to direct him into the right path.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Hours
Time will go by excruciatingly slow.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2017
Learned about pet food ingredients, no doubt. But, there are hardly any customers throughout the day, and most of the customers who do come in will typically know exactly what they are going to buy before they even came in, so they often don't need your assistance... so you find yourself pacing a lot throughout the tiny store for the most part. Worked a full day here, and by the end of the day I knew it wasn't for me. And on top of all this, they didn't even pay me for my shift, despite agreeing to pay me and telling me my wage. Not worth it.
Cons
Not many customers, not much to do, lots of standing
don't expect to be valued
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB28 June 2017
not worth the amount of work you have piled on you for minimum wage. there is no support from head office, the people they send to check store standards snub their noses at employees and the managers kiss their butts. it doesn't matter if you've worked here for 4 years or 2 months you'll all make minimum wage. the nutritional training is awesome though, i really enjoyed the training videos and programs.
Pros
discounts, excellent nutritional training, meeting pets
Cons
poor management, no support from head office, no safety training, staff are told they have no rights, no pay increase for long term staff, manager picks favorites and schedules everyone else to accommodate
Interesting
PART TIME EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  wininpeg22 June 2017
A typical day at work consisted of cleaning, facing and working the till. I learned that patience is key when working retail and maintaining a positive attitude is a good thing to do.
Pros
discounted pet food
Cons
little to no shifts
Not family-friendly.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 June 2017
I had this position for 8 years. I had year wage increases, but, even though I worked 40 hours a week, I was a part-timer and received no benefits.
Once the minimum wage went up, all of my advancements were null and void. I made the same as the new untrained people walking in.

I became a single parent with little support, and was reprimanded for not being able to work all the days they wanted me to, because I didn't have daycare on those days.

I left because of it.
Pros
I met many great people.
Cons
Not family-friendly.
great co-workers, lousy management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey-White Rock, BC1 June 2017
Overall enjoyed working with my co-workers, however my manager was very rude and disrespectful to staff. When you voiced concerns or ideas she completely talked over you. No listening skills at all. Manager consistently came in too early and left when we were very busy. Forget talking to upper management as they lacked basic communication skills and basically wanted you to "make it work". Not worth it.
Pros
Helping customers find the right product for their pet.
Cons
Poor communication, low pay, bad management.
Great Learning Opportunities
Key holder/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 June 2017
Pet Valu was a fantastic place to work. The schooling alone for better understanding on pet nutrition was phenomenal. The customers are great and head office when they get their stuff together works well.
Decent company but room for improvement
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 May 2017
They keep management busy but hire poor employees and expect you to build them up. Challenges in the workplace include standing for long periods of time and quickly resolving problems. Great training is provided and ongoing support is always there.
Pros
Great training
Cons
Alot of down time
Fun work environment, lots of pets come in, great customers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hanover, ON7 May 2017
Overall decent place to work. The pay does not equal what you are expected to know/do. Lack of communication issues. Feedback is not listened to. Above average training
Fun and knowledgable workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2017
Pet Valu is a place where you want to inspire pet owners to provide theirs pets with a healthy and happy life. Weather its an allergy, health problem or just wanting to keep your pet healthy, we will know what you need.
Pros
Work with cats, happy customers, fun environment, good boss
Cons
not full-time
Great clients. Terrible staff
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kanata (March Road)3 April 2017
Staff and manager are rude. They have no respect for other employees. They don't take in consideration of workers needs. I would not recommend this job at this location (kanata) To anyone.
Pros
animals and customers are fantastic
Cons
rude and dissrespectful managment
I loved this job!
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 March 2017
I loved working with animals and building customer relationships. Overall the duties and job description weren't too complicated, easy straight forward daily operations. Where this company rates low for me is job security and advancement. The stores aren't managed well, and the company does not value it's employees. I could have retired from this "job" if the company had invested in me as much as I invested into it.
Pros
Working with animals.
Cons
Working with people.
Good company values
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ON28 March 2017
The company is a very good organization that is interested in having its stores succeed.
The hours are good
The pay is minimum wage
Depending on the owner they are very nice
Flexible with scheduling
Good for entry level - not for anything else
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  BC24 March 2017
Corporate review - I haven't worked in a franchise store.
You start at minimum wage and pretty much STAY at minimum wage. Once a year raises at 1-3 % of current wage amounts to 12-35 CENTS at a time (in BC) pretty much a slap in the face to anyone expecting a decent raise for hard work.
You will get better raises just waiting for provincial minimum to go up.
No support or respect for anyone underneath management.
Often work alone and expect to complete numerous tasks (a lot of which are out of sight of the front door) while also taking care of customers at the highest level possible.
No break room or office in some locations.
Unpaid overtime.
Ridiculous hours. Open until 9pm EVERY weekday.
Usually understaffed since the corporate management gets bonuses for keeping their staff hours down.
Unfortunately I could go on.
Anything less than management should be a high school students job or someone just entering the work force, for anyone else with experience it is not worth it.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Everything else.
Precarious
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2017
Pet Valu corporate is in process of selling and franchising stores so there are few opportunities to move forward- job is more likely to be for small business than corporation.
Neat and efficient for buyers but not employees
Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 March 2017
There was barely any work to do on a day to day basis which was OK but at the time not what I was looking for regarding a co-op success story. I did learn how to work the register which was a plus
Fun envirnoment, lovely customer base, organized way of business for the most part.
Retail Sales Person and Pet Nutrition Expert (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB13 March 2017
I really do enjoy this job. The environment is laid back yet everything gets done. We get to do fun things, we see animals in a daily basis, we have events and fundraisers for local spca and rescue group which is very fufilling but my cons are its a very small staff (5) at my particular location which can cause quite a few issues in my opinion, although it does have its perks as well.
Wonderful Company to work for if you are an animal lover!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ON13 March 2017
I enjoyed the 7 years I spent with Pet Valu, my ultimate goal was to build sales and buy the store I was running. Unfortunately the downside to working for a franchising organization is that you have no job security and my store sold before I could try to buy it for myself.
Pros
great benefit package and fair wages
Cons
franchising organization no job security
Not recommended
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 March 2017
Fronting and stocking shelves, lots of heavy lifting, you normally work on your own. Responsible for store janitorial work. Poor management and upper management. You do not go to district manager or HR with issues as they strictly work for the company. High staff turnover. They lose a lot of great staff because of the managers (micro manage, there way or the highway, even if not up to company standards). Some managers ran down their staff in front of customers and other staff. Most co-workers were awesome to work with and dealing with customers was a great part of the job. Most discouraging part of the job is when you work by yourself, lineup at the till and customers waiting for assistance, lost a lot of customers because of this. If you worked a full shift you received a lunch break, but there were no coffee breaks allowed.
Pros
discounts
Cons
management, no coffee breaks, working by yourself

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5