Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Good for entry level - not for anything else
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  BC24 March 2017
Corporate review - I haven't worked in a franchise store.
You start at minimum wage and pretty much STAY at minimum wage. Once a year raises at 1-3 % of current wage amounts to 12-35 CENTS at a time (in BC) pretty much a slap in the face to anyone expecting a decent raise for hard work.
You will get better raises just waiting for provincial minimum to go up.
No support or respect for anyone underneath management.
Often work alone and expect to complete numerous tasks (a lot of which are out of sight of the front door) while also taking care of customers at the highest level possible.
No break room or office in some locations.
Unpaid overtime.
Ridiculous hours. Open until 9pm EVERY weekday.
Usually understaffed since the corporate management gets bonuses for keeping their staff hours down.
Unfortunately I could go on.
Anything less than management should be a high school students job or someone just entering the work force, for anyone else with experience it is not worth it.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Everything else.
Great if you're a student or want part time work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON10 January 2017
I had an overall adequate experience with Pet Valu. I enjoyed helping the customers and taking care of the animals that would come into the store. However, I think that the salary is lower than one would deserve for the amount of work they do, it is extremely difficult to get time off, and sick days and benefits are non existant.

If you are a student who is looking to work a few shifts a week, I would recommend this job. If you're looking for something more permanent however, I would recommend finding employment elsewhere.
Pros
Around animals, clean working environment
Cons
high demands for low pay
Fun envirnoment, lovely customer base, organized way of business for the most part.
Retail Sales Person and Pet Nutrition Expert (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB13 March 2017
I really do enjoy this job. The environment is laid back yet everything gets done. We get to do fun things, we see animals in a daily basis, we have events and fundraisers for local spca and rescue group which is very fufilling but my cons are its a very small staff (5) at my particular location which can cause quite a few issues in my opinion, although it does have its perks as well.
Complicated management, not a stable job.
Sales Associate/Cashier/Janitorial (Former Employee) –  BC11 October 2016
I worked at a franchise of Pet Valu. I loved going into work everyday because I was helping people find great solutions for their pets. The coworkers were nice enough, but the owner just had a complete lack of communication. He gave me a raise, making me think I was great at my job, then he phased me out of the schedule barely a week later. I asked him why my schedule was like that and he just started saying a bunch of things which were never previously communicated. I asked another coworker about this and they told me he did this frequently, just without the raise and in a shorter span of time. I loved this job, I loved the coworkers and the customers, and even the products. The downside was the management, and just the abruptness of how it ended. I love this job and will miss it dearly, but I will not miss my shifts with the owner. I will also not miss the lack of job security.
Pros
Your job has a purpose
Cons
Terrible management and complete lack of peer or work reviews
An okay workplace.. Not Great
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 February 2017
A typical work day is helping customers, cleaning, and putting out stock. After working here for 3 years I have learned a lot about the pet food industry, however, this was no thanks to the pet valu training program. The training program does not teach you any useful information and you are forced to learn as you go on the floor. I work for a franchise store and I find that the management is very sloppy. There is no consistency at my location. The workplace culture is fun, but can be stressful. The hardest part of the job is trying to deal with management. The best part of the job is dealing with the customers and their pets.
Pros
play with cats in store
Cons
inconsistent hours, management is not great
Horrible company
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ontario15 May 2016
I worked for petvalu for about two years and the last year of that was absolutely horrible. When I started with this company it had a good solid team at the store and things got done and were taken care of pretty well. As time went on I saw more managers and district managers in and out of the store staff being shuffled and things were starting to slide. Upper management was horrible, they had unrealistic goals on their staff with low to no benefits low pay, no benefits, average discount, no training, and then it was our fault when things didn't get done properly. One of the biggest problems was the lack of training especially for the newer stuff that I saw that came in after me. The list is long and extensive of what was wrong with this company, I was excited to get out of this company. This is definitely not a long-term job and just something for students to get by and through school while moving on to bigger and better because anything is definitely better than petvalu.
Pros
Customers and animals
Cons
Everything else.
Not recommended
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 March 2017
Fronting and stocking shelves, lots of heavy lifting, you normally work on your own. Responsible for store janitorial work. Poor management and upper management. You do not go to district manager or HR with issues as they strictly work for the company. High staff turnover. They lose a lot of great staff because of the managers (micro manage, there way or the highway, even if not up to company standards). Some managers ran down their staff in front of customers and other staff. Most co-workers were awesome to work with and dealing with customers was a great part of the job. Most discouraging part of the job is when you work by yourself, lineup at the till and customers waiting for assistance, lost a lot of customers because of this. If you worked a full shift you received a lunch break, but there were no coffee breaks allowed.
Pros
discounts
Cons
management, no coffee breaks, working by yourself
It's retail
Sales Associate, Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Angus, ON22 December 2016
The location I was at was not reminiscent of the location I worked at years ago. A typical day consisted of stocking shelves, reorganizing displays, handling customer inquiries, cash, opening and closing responsibilities.
The management was in need of some additional training.
Coworkers for the most part, were great and really pitched in.
The hardest part of the job was on delivery days, trying to manage the amount of stock getting into the store and rotated while maintaining customer satisfaction and priority.
Most enjoyable part was being part of customer's family, when they would bring their pets in and sharing in their love/care for their pets and being able to ensure they were giving their pets the best.
Disorganized and forever undecided.
Sales Associate/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Casselman, ON22 January 2016
These people can't make up their minds, they keep trash people and fire good people with the lame "the company is going in a different direction".

Upper management has no knowledge of actually running a retail store, they don't work in them and won't learn to work in them. You work hard for minimum wage, often alone.

No chance for advancement, but they'll let you run the store for less than the actual store manager makes. That's called taking advantage!!! Don't ask to transfer, you will be treated new, with same pay and barely any hours.

There is NO praise within this company. You are not allowed to be creative and everything is "store standards".

Never complain about a fellow employee, nothing will be done! As well, don't get pregnant ladies, you are still expected to do this physical job with no help... and if you want reduced physical work, you need to provide notes throughout your pregnancy.

You have a better chance at any one of this company's competitors!
Pros
Animals, Regular Customer & Most Employees
Cons
Everything Else...
Wonderful Company to work for if you are an animal lover!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ON13 March 2017
I enjoyed the 7 years I spent with Pet Valu, my ultimate goal was to build sales and buy the store I was running. Unfortunately the downside to working for a franchising organization is that you have no job security and my store sold before I could try to buy it for myself.
Pros
great benefit package and fair wages
Cons
franchising organization no job security
Good learning experience but poor compensation
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia19 July 2016
I worked as a sales associate in a franchise store for three years, and then in a corporate store several years later for 3 short months before being promoted to manager of a brand new location. I was hired as a manager with little previous management experience but a lot of passion and knowledge within the company.

Initially, I was on cloud nine. I learned a lot of things in a short period of time and loved my day to day work. Regular customers, seeing cool new pet products, learning about things i care about and interacting with like minded people. Coworkers at the store level were great and my first DSM was very supportive. Scheduling, ordering, merchandising to store standards and stock count procedures are some of the main rocks.

Things change a lot and communication is poor. There is little praise from upper management and rude and demeaning comments have been made to me as well as my staff. Labour hours are very limited and you really struggle to complete all expectations within what is allowed. You and your staff will spend a LOT of time alone in the store which poses safety risks and can be stressful during busy times. No one wants to wait at the counter. And no on wants to see a customer leave because they couldn't be served fast enough. A lot of pressure put on store appearance and things being exactly a certain way, when realistically, it is hard to constantly meet these expectations while still being able to serve customers and answer their many questions. Hourly compensation is poor and advancement in this department is hard to get.

Customers are a
  more... big plus and you will have a lot of fun interacting with them. Extensive product knowledge and genuine care and empathy is required because these guests put a lot of faith in you. It is ultimately a labour of love. Turnover in store manager roles seems high, at least in my district. It is a good place to build skills for your resume and move along to a company with better Human Resource Management and compensation.  less
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Upper management / politics, little labour hours
Fun and friendly enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 February 2017
I really enjoyed working at Pet Valu because my co-workers and customers were very friendly. I learned how to be confident and talk to everyone as well as be confident at cash. The hardest part about the job was balancing shifts with my school work. The most enjoyable part about this job was to see how happy the customers were when i had given them advice and helped them find what they were looking for.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
balancing shifts with school work
Good company values
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ON28 March 2017
The company is a very good organization that is interested in having its stores succeed.
The hours are good
The pay is minimum wage
Depending on the owner they are very nice
Flexible with scheduling
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON8 November 2015
The atmosphere at pet valu is great. The workers are friendly and the customer base is ordinarily pleasant. You get to work with cats from the humane society which is great for cat lovers. The amount you can learn in a sort period of time about pet products is crazy. If you have pets at home you can apply the knowledge learned to your own pets health. There is even a paid time frame given to new employees to complete pet video courses provided from the university of california. All of these things are great; however, the stores are normally full for employment. It is hard to not only be hired on full time but, also be promoted with more responsibility and higher pay.
Pros
Great community, Feel good work, flexible hours
Cons
Full time is rare, no benefits, no room for promotion
pet valu
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON23 February 2017
helping customers with there problems with their animals
the proper health care for their animals
great management
hardest part of the job was seeing a sick animal and not being able to help
watching pets grow and playing with them at work
Animals are great, animal products are great, pet valu is not so great!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON4 October 2016
Maybe its different at other stores, but at my location the manager "hires" students and tells them to come in, gets them to do all this heavy lifting and avoids questions about paperwork and takes advantage of students and then a couple days after their hard work, tells them it "didnt work out" when they have to contact the store because they dont contact you about it like a professional should. the manager was just rude but i kept it to myself and made me feel uncomfortable but the rest of the staff was great so i didnt mind until i got ignored for days and told it "didnt work out" while i could have been doing something more productive. all in all, it just leaves a student with bad self eestem and expierence and low, sad expectations, so thanks a lot pet valu! the only enjoyable thing was i like the pet valu brand and talking to customers!
Pros
animals, working w/ animals products and costumers with animals.
Cons
my location was very unprofessional and unorganized and rude
Unprofessional and Unappreciative Upper Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 January 2016
I worked hard for these horrible corporate people for 10 long years of my life. How they thanked me was by letting me go. They gave me the same lame excuse that they give to employees that they have no use of anymore which was "We are going in a different direction". I had 6 different District Managers in 5 years, they come and go. Each one of them come in to your store, and boss you around as if they know everything, they tell you to move things around and look down on you, and leave. It happens with every new district manager, and people from the head office. They suck the life out of you, they expect you to put your life on hold for Petvalu. Your hard work is not even appreciated, and you don't even get a raise, you'll be luck to get a ten cent raise. They should run a chain of sweat shops not a chain of pet stores. In spite of all that, I really miss my coworkers and my regular customers whom I become too attached to. A few of them still call me once in a while to chat, and I always hear that a lot of them still ask for me and say "Hi". If you want to keep your sanity stay away from Petvalu, go get a real job where you can get somewhere.
Pros
Meeting new people and petting their pets.
Cons
I don't know where to start
Favorite job I've ever had
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 July 2016
A typical day at work would be grooming 5 or so dogs, working with them really makes my day, I truly love my job.
The most I've learned working here is dog behaviors and how to treat them.
Management has been amazing, I am sad to leave my store, I would work there for the rest of my life if I could because management and co-workers are the best people I've ever met.
The hardest part of the job would be getting difficult dogs to groom, because they are unpredictable and or nervous. It's hard sometimes to finish the job as best you can but sometimes you can only do so much without traumatizing or harming them.
Most enjoyable part of the job would be how the dogs feel after they get groomed, you can tell they feel 100% better afterwards and the look on their owners faces when they see them and how happy it makes them makes my job the best thing ever.
Pros
best place to work
Cons
having to leave
decent
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 February 2017
Decent place to work if you love animals. Not much room for growth though and a lot fo corporate locations are turning into franchise so chances are you won't be kept on the stafff. Corporate doesn't always have a spot for you to move to so you may be left out of a job.
bridgewater ns horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS10 December 2016
The new Pine Grove Pet Valu is one of the worst places to work 90% of the staff is rude and ignorant the only staff worth keeping is the old Pets Unlimited staff the new staff are rude and ignorant that store is full of drama I recently worked there and had to quit that store is never going to make it to not apply for the Bridgewater store it is terrible
Pros
animals
Cons
half of the staff.

2.6