Pet Valu

Pet Valu Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Pet Products Retail Company
QA Lead (Former Employee), Markham, ONApril 21, 2014
Pros: smaller teams, quicker decisions
Cons: hard to bring change
Pet Food and Supplies manufacturing and retail. Small sized company with good talent in the team.
Great place to be
Store Manager/ Pet Expert (Current Employee), Prince Albert, SKApril 16, 2014
Pros: cute animals
Cons: low pay, low hours
I love working here, love the online training you receive, customer interaction, donations to the local pet charities and adoption days.
Fun Loving customers on a daily basis
Customer Service (Current Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Meeting new people and their pets. Helping customers find the best diet for their furry family member. All staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Favourite part is seeing excited pets come in for treats.
The best part-time job I've ever had.
Pet Expert/Customer Service (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, casual dress, incentives
A normal day involves maintaining the store - facing, cleaning, remerchandising, etc.
As pet experts, we provide information to customers about their pets (canines, felines, avian, small animal, and reptile). We answer questions regarding housing, nutrition, play, and even fashion.

The management was outstanding. They took into consideration our suggestions, – more... even letting us take complete lead on some substantial projects. They were approachable, and helpful, and treated you like more than a subordinate.

My co-workers were friendly, and easy to get along with. They were hard workers, and made sure to ask questions when they weren't sure.

I have nothing bad to say about the job at all. It's very enjoyable. The work is not hard, but you need to know a lot about the products, because you want to provide the right answers. Even learning was fun.

Great job. – less
Fast paced, never a dull moment with a team of good-humoured people.
Trades Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Royal Crest Court, Markham, OntarioFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: seasonal get together parties, like our annual summer barbecue
Cons: long hours when required
- A typical day at work would be meeting deadlines for biweekly invoice pay dates and other projects.
- From my first day at work, I learned how to perform various task according to priorities.
- Management and co-workers work closely together to resolve problems and issues.
- The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is getting the work done at – more... the end of the day or week – less
The most enjoyable part of the job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Grand Falls, New BrunswickJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: loved my clientele and my co-workers
Cons: the store closed there doors
I had a client who came in not happy with what another company had offered to him. So I ask him all the questions just to be able to know exactly what he was looking for. After an half an hour I finally showed him what he needed and the client left happy. The next day he came back and thank me for the good service and the right product. There's nothing – more... that makes me happier then having a client leaving my store happy. So that is one thing I love about customer service.
I learned that if you give your 100% at your job every day that you will full fill a lot in your life and you learn a lot of things. – less
Productive environment
Customer Service (Former Employee), Fergus, OnJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: good working environment, friendly people
Cons: not to many customers
I really enjoyed working at Pet Valu, A typical day at work was greeting all the customers as they walk in the door and asking them if they needed any help finding anything, I was also responsible for cleaning the work space (sweep, mop, dust, ect.) I would work alone most days so I was responsible of the whole store, re-stocking shelves, checking out – more... customer, processing returns and helping the customer find what they needed. I learned a lot working at pet valu like how to use the till and money management skills, I also learned about animals and types of food for them. The hardest part of my job was memorizing all the food but after a while it sticks into your brain. My co-workers were very nice and we never had any problems it was a very good working environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I helped a customer find something or understand something because when I saw them happy it made me feel like I helped them and so it made me happy. – less
Pet Valu was a great place to work people and pet were always a lot of fun
Manager/Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 9, 2014
i loved working at Pet Valu all the staff and owners were great and the customers human and other wise aways a treat
100% Productive & development of efficiency-skills
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Markham, ONDecember 13, 2013
Pros: free coffee
Cons: flexible lunch hours
Opportunity to do others duties
Keep myself busy
Efficient
Friendly
Scan copy not connected to my email ID
Coding, matching, batching, entering, generating payment
A strong retailer providing great insight into the Pet supplies business.
Manager, Planning and Analysis (Former Employee), Markham, OnNovember 19, 2013
A typical day involved looking at KPIs and identifying potential drivers, together with the necessary analysis ( data scrubbing) that goes with this.
Good work environment
Customer Service/Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), Kingston, ONSeptember 23, 2013
I did my college placement here, the staff is nice and helpful.
Great staff, happy environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Shelburne, ONAugust 30, 2013
Pros: lots of free time
Cons: slow pace
I learnt many valuable skills
the days were very long due to a slow pace environment
manager is great and very flexible
Awesome place to work
Nutritionist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2013
Pros: helping rescues
Cons: no benefits
Loved working here, it was great! I had fun and loved the people and customers!!
My experience
Cashier/Sales (Current Employee), Dunnville OntarioAugust 14, 2013
Cons: not enough hours/ poor pay
Working at Pet Valu there are many responsibilities.

A typical day at work for me is making sure the animals have fresh food and water and their cages are presentable for when customers come into the store.

I have learned many new things about different types of animals and nutritional facts about them so I can provide my best knowledge to any questions – more... a customer may have, about what certain foods or medications they are thinking about for their animal.

The management at Pet Valu is great. Being a corporate store we do have a lot of pressure on us to meet certain sale requirements and if we aren't meeting them there is always a lot of help to try new things to find what will work best for all of us employees.

My co- workers are great, we all get along and we all work together to get the job done!

The hardest part of my job is when my manager is away on holidays, I take on most of the responsibilities to make sure the store is kept the way is should be.

The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with new people everyday, helping them, listening to them, and also meeting there pets. – less
Great until the US bought it
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2013
PV was the best place to work until the Americans took over. Now its all politics and paperwork
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier/Keyholder (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 1, 2013
Pros: dealing with animals
Cons: working alone
Assisting customers with product information, answering phones, cleaning the store, restocking product.
It was a very small place to work, with a few employees. Everyone was very close and like a family. Management was amazing and extremely understanding.
There was nothing overly difficult about this job that stands out.
Everything about this job was – more... enjoyable, working with animals and the customers. – less
Hard work, but excellent training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 24, 2013
Pros: training program
Cons: salary, delivery, inflexible with shifts
**I worked for Pet Valu the corporation, not a franchise. This review is strictly based on working at a corporate location. **

Pet Valu has an excellent training program. I felt very confident with the knowledge they armed me with for dealing with customers. They had exams that every employee was required to take, as well as seminars that were put – more... on by the different pet food companies.

It can be a lot of hard work. It's not just front end work like a lot of people expect. A lot of it is dealing with delivery; hauling bag after bag of 40lb dog food bags (or cat litter!) onto shelves that are well over your head.

Pet Valu, for an 8 hour shift, gives you one unpaid 30 min break...and that's it. They say that you can have 2 15's...but if you try and take one you're in a lot of trouble. You're constantly on call (no matter what your position is), the district manager (at the time) was not a very nice person (trying to be polite here). That's not just my opinion, it was known chain-wide.

Basically it's a good place to work if you don't mind being used a bit. They do teach you a lot about nutrition, but they work you like a dog and pay you very little for it.

Oh, and corporate sold our store to a franchiser even though they promised they wouldn't...so job security is kind of shaky. – less
“Wow, If you want to work here, get your head examined!”
Sales Associate, Temporary (1 year contract) (Former Employee), Arnprior, ONMay 22, 2013
Pros: great educational experience. lot of learning with online training-however done on your time!
Cons: see above!
Sales Associate, Temporary (1 year contract)-this current post (May 2013) for store 2130 in Arnprior is an advertisement for my former job.

Worked here for 1 year and a few months...with no idea of when contract was actually up, and no commitment from District Manager!!! If you want to do all the work, with no help from fellow staff..then this is the – more... job for you. Do not expect flexibility with this position. Do not expect to have time off with this position.

Poor Management, disrespectful, rude district manager, no concern for staff or staff needs. Pathetic pay with even more pathetic pay increases. Difficult to get paperwork out of upper management. Expect long hours. Expect no time off. Expect no weekends off. Expect no home or personal life. Expect difficulties if you challenge any of these!

Advice to Senior Management – Get a grip! Pay workers what they deserve, that's more incentive than any! And a pat on the back once in a while wouldn't go amiss either! Lighten up on your staff and allow more flexibility...I took this job on the understanding of occasional weekends, not EVERY weekend. – less
Great place to work!!!
Key Holder (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 13, 2013
Pros: meeting pets, long hours, lots of shifts
Cons: delivery - some items are very heavy
You get to meet pets and their parents all day long and provide necessary information and advice for their pets needs. Very fun place to work!
Franchise store
Manager (Former Employee), scarborough, ontarioApril 12, 2013
Pros: excellent advancement
Cons: franchised store
It was excellent working within the company, and advancement came quickly based on my performance.

About Pet Valu

The Pet Valu family of stores includes Pet Valu, Paulmac’s Pet Food and Bosley’s, and together they are one of the – Read more